BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-05-2014, 08:33 PM   #133
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 1974 2002 Tii

Great choice! I have two Breitlings but also picked up a PO (the XL) this summer. A great watch!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2014, 12:35 AM   #134
brianeck
Part Time Firetruck Crash Barrier
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340ix Mineral Grey

Check out Mido. Everyone has Omega and Brietling watches! Same price range, great auto swiss movement, same family as omega (swatch group), and you'll get just as many compliments and have something much more unique!

m340ix Mineral Grey/Tacora Red
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2014, 02:41 AM   #135
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw m5..White/Blk.

Funny I never c anyone w either watch on. I always c people w tags. Either way my watch will be here either tomorrow monday. I'm happy w my purchase.
Thanks KScarrol

Last edited by boots; 11-08-2014 at 02:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2014, 10:30 AM   #136
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by boots View Post
Funny I never c anyone w either watch on. I always c people w tags. Either way my watch will be here either tomorrow monday. I'm happy w my purchase.
Thanks KScarrol
From what I've observed over the past 30 years, unless one dwells in the world of wachies, wealthy folks or both, one generally isn't that likely to see any watch costing more than $1000. After all, the average sum spent on a watch is ~$300, with the average Swiss watch costing ~$750 and the average high-end watch costing ~$2500.
Inasmuch as most Omegas cost more than $2500s, you can expect not to see too many of them. Now if you fly a lot, on a flight, you'll surely see more watches that are pricey quite simply because folks that fly often are who is mostly on planes and those folks on average are highly compensated and will therefore buy pricey stuff, seeing as they can.

There are other "select" situations and whatnot that will make it appear that "everyone" has an Omega, Rolex or whatever it is one might see a lot of. I can't tell you how often I've seen folks write or heard them say, "Rolexes are a dime a dozen. You see them everywhere, and everyone has one." Now I don't care where you live or where you go, certain facts make statements like that nothing buy hyperbole.

Rolex, for example, produces ~900K watches per year. As one goes back in time, that number grows smaller. So regardless of one's own circumstances and personal observations:
  1. Everyone does not own a Rolex.
  2. A Rolex watches not a dime a dozen.
  3. When you go somewhere, you may see a Rolex on someone's wrist, but Rolexes are not everywhere.
I used Rolex as my example, but the exact same things can be said of Omega and every other watch that sells for more than the average price of watches.

At some point, most folks suffer from a warped sense of perspective when it comes to the abundance of pricey stuff. The distortion caused by their special circumstances may lead them to incorrectly devalue things that are in fact far more valuable than they believe. For my part, I just try to keep my eye peeled for one of those folks who think Rolexes are a dime a dozen and will sell me theirs for a dime, in which case if they have a dozen, I'll buy all 12 of them.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2014, 02:43 PM   #137
boots
Curve Thrasher
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw m5..White/Blk.

True statement tony. That's why I'm just as happy wearing my 18 dollar academy watch
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2014, 06:45 AM   #138
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boots View Post
True statement tony. That's why I'm just as happy wearing my 18 dollar academy watch
Nothing wrong with that. I suspect you won't see many of them on other folks' wrists either.

To be sure, if one craves apparent exclusivity, one can buy at the high or very low end of the price spectrum and get it. Exclusivity is for everyone.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2014, 02:55 PM   #139
DocMick
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 MCB F10 M5

Only a Richard Mille is worthy of telling time

Appreciate 0
      11-09-2014, 05:16 PM   #140
anselmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2001 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
There are other "select" situations and whatnot that will make it appear that "everyone" has an Omega, Rolex or whatever it is one might see a lot of. I can't tell you how often I've seen folks write or heard them say, "Rolexes are a dime a dozen. You see them everywhere, and everyone has one." Now I don't care where you live or where you go, certain facts make statements like that nothing buy hyperbole.

Rolex, for example, produces ~900K watches per year. As one goes back in time, that number grows smaller. So regardless of one's own circumstances and personal observations:
  1. Everyone does not own a Rolex.
  2. A Rolex watches not a dime a dozen.
  3. When you go somewhere, you may see a Rolex on someone's wrist, but Rolexes are not everywhere.
I used Rolex as my example, but the exact same things can be said of Omega and every other watch that sells for more than the average price of watches.

At some point, most folks suffer from a warped sense of perspective when it comes to the abundance of pricey stuff. The distortion caused by their special circumstances may lead them to incorrectly devalue things that are in fact far more valuable than they believe. For my part, I just try to keep my eye peeled for one of those folks who think Rolexes are a dime a dozen and will sell me theirs for a dime, in which case if they have a dozen, I'll buy all 12 of them.

All the best.
Great analysis, I agree it depends on the situation and that is the issue. Rolex is a great example and they have been making that many watches a year. So if you think about it, people who can afford to buy watches at this price point are a small subset of the population and naturally will be in the same working circle, schools, social settings. In that context you will most likely see Rolexes and other high end watch brands everywhere. They are not a dime a dozen but they are everywhere if you run in the same social circles. That is why even in these social circles, there is room for even more exclusive and expensive brands like Patek, AP, VC... And even within the top 3 you will see even more exclusive watche models. Try purchasing a Patek Nautilus 5711 with blue face brand new from a dealer, ridiculous wait list time. Personally I am a partial to Omega but am looking to get a Patek so in doing the research noticed this. No different than ladies handbags, LV vs Hermes.
2018 GT3
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2014, 10:35 PM   #141
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMick View Post
Only a Richard Mille is worthy of telling time

Yes, and if Richard wants to follow me around and tell me the time of day when I want to know it, by all means, he can do just that.

All the best.

Appreciate 0
      11-11-2014, 03:40 PM   #142
DocMick
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 MCB F10 M5

Finally a short post from tony20009

And I couldn't agree more

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2014, 05:54 PM   #143
brianeck
Part Time Firetruck Crash Barrier
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340ix Mineral Grey

I would have posted this originally but I was on the mobile site and couldn't resize the pics. I like color and got this one to go with my SO m3. They have a similar one in black and white and one with yellow accents as well.

I really liked the fact that the rotating bezel is actually inside the case. Its operated by the second crown on the bottom left of the watch. The chronograph buttons screw to lock as well, when they are out the little orange bits are covered.

I am TOTALLY one of those guys who flies all the time like someone mentioned above, haha, so I guess I do end up with a watch bias lol. I'm on the road like 80-100 days a year at the moment.
Attached Images

m340ix Mineral Grey/Tacora Red
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2014, 06:58 PM   #144
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

How is it having so many buttons on the case, 1 often irritates and digs into my wrist. Can't image having 5.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2014, 08:33 PM   #145
zmanH2
United_States
Rep
Drives: 320i AW

Appreciate 0
      11-11-2014, 08:38 PM   #146
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Dude I'm zman, been called that since little league.
Appreciate 0