08-19-2022, 07:59 AM   #1
donniemcm
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15

Garage List
Unhappy Wireless Carplay and Android phone

Hi!

I have a case where my 2018 F15 has Wireless Carplay and an Android phone.
I wanted to find a way to get Android auto without getting a MMI device.

I bought a Carlinkit AI box but learnt the hard way that it is only working with Wired Carplay to allow wireless connection from an iPhone or Android phone.
I think there is no product on the market that will fullfill a case where you want to turn the wireless carplay to a wired one. Or a box that would connect wirelessly to your car wireless carplay to allow a Android phone to connect.

For those wondering why I am not going the MMI module way for the below reasons:
- I am not confident enough to DIY after buying one module (e.g. bimmertech)
- The cost of getting it installed by professional is too expensive to my liking (at least from here in Montreal)
- Last but not least, installing such module will use the car AUX audio connection and downgrade the sound quality

Happy to hear from fellow bimmers if you had the same situation and how you "fixed" it!

PS: If anyone wants a new cpc200-Tbox mini, you can DM me

Last edited by donniemcm; 08-19-2022 at 08:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2022, 04:25 PM   #2
froisalves
No_Country
Rep

Hello!
is the cpc200-Tbox mini, works with Android auto wireless?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2022, 08:43 PM   #3
snowsurfer
Private
Rep
Drives: F15

What things from Android Auto do you want to use? I've been using AAIDrive for Spotify integration...works well. There are other integrations that get it close to Android Auto that seem to work as well (assistant, etc.)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...hl=en_US&gl=US
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2022, 07:46 AM   #4
astonishingmatt
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW F15, 2014 BMW F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowsurfer View Post
What things from Android Auto do you want to use? I've been using AAIDrive for Spotify integration...works well. There are other integrations that get it close to Android Auto that seem to work as well (assistant, etc.)

Just downloaded this. I may be missing something, but is its best use just connecting the USB, keeping the phone on in the center console (horizontal orientation) and just using it like screen mirroring with voice assistant input rather than touch screen?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2022, 10:35 AM   #5
donniemcm
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by froisalves View Post
Hello!
is the cpc200-Tbox mini, works with Android auto wireless?
Yes! It is a built-in Android system that allows Android Auto connection.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2022, 10:52 AM   #6
snowsurfer
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by astonishingmatt View Post
Just downloaded this. I may be missing something, but is its best use just connecting the USB, keeping the phone on in the center console (horizontal orientation) and just using it like screen mirroring with voice assistant input rather than touch screen?
I use it wirelessly via bluetooth, you need the MyBMW app on your phone and linked to your car as well. It works pretty seamlessly.

Your phone can stay in your pocket.

Not to get too into the weeds, but here is the github for it: https://github.com/BimmerGestalt/AAIdrive

These are all the features currently implemented (I didn't write this app, but kinda wish I did cause it's cool): https://github.com/BimmerGestalt/AAI...ented-features

Last edited by snowsurfer; 08-22-2022 at 11:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2022, 01:10 PM   #7
donniemcm
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Thanks for the app sharing! I will try it out.

Basically my main purpose to get Android Auto is to get Google Maps on the screen and if possible on the HUD. I understand that Carplay/AA can communicate to the HUD.

I tried with the screen mirroring but it is tedious as you need to juggle between screen lock, lock screen, etc. And mainly it's just projecting the phone display meaning no integration with the touch screen or with the HUD.

Last edited by donniemcm; 08-22-2022 at 01:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2022, 07:38 PM   #8
donniemcm
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Just tried and my car doesn't have the Apps section available 🥲 so this app doesn't work
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2022, 07:50 PM   #9
snowsurfer
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by donniemcm View Post
Just tried and my car doesn't have the Apps section available 🥲 so this app doesn't work
Damn, do you have automatic map updates and BMW apps turned on? I think it was like $75 a year for 3 years or something.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2022, 09:05 AM   #10
donniemcm
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Damn, do you have automatic map updates and BMW apps turned on? I think it was like $75 a year for 3 years or something.
I don't think so ...
I tried to check the BMW Connected services to try to pay for services but it doesn't work. I am not sure if it is disabled/not available in Canada ...
Appreciate 0