BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5M (F85) and X6M (F86) Forum

10-10-2020, 08:21 AM   #45
Saleeb86
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X5 M (F85)

Okay, so I'm still in noob territory (especially after reading how easily y'all are able to install your Racechip on your F85s. Started disassembling pieces to install this morning, and passenger side clip is no problem, it's right there on the side of the intercooler. However, the driver side clip is a biatch, and I can barely see the thing in the light of day. How in the world did y'all access that one?

I've taken off the cross beam and RK Autowerks intake; I know this thread's instructions suggest removing the bolts from the little reservoir there to the right and pushing it out of the way, but honestly, I am afraid that because the bolt enters from the underside, I'm going to drop the damn thing down into the engine compartment if I unscrew it.

Without pulling the tube off the intercooler, which I attempted to do until a little fluid came out 😬, how in the world do you access the driver side clip?

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2020, 01:39 PM   #46
skoold2003
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i M Sport, M3(sold)

Garage List
2014 X5 50i  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleeb86 View Post
Okay, so I'm still in noob territory (especially after reading how easily y'all are able to install your Racechip on your F85s. Started disassembling pieces to install this morning, and passenger side clip is no problem, it's right there on the side of the intercooler. However, the driver side clip is a biatch, and I can barely see the thing in the light of day. How in the world did y'all access that one?

I've taken off the cross beam and RK Autowerks intake; I know this thread's instructions suggest removing the bolts from the little reservoir there to the right and pushing it out of the way, but honestly, I am afraid that because the bolt enters from the underside, I'm going to drop the damn thing down into the engine compartment if I unscrew it.

Without pulling the tube off the intercooler, which I attempted to do until a little fluid came out 😬, how in the world do you access the driver side clip?

Thanks in advance!
I had a lot of trouble with the passenger side clip on my 14 50i. I just tried different tools until I finally broke the white locking piece. Once that was broken it was a little easier to get out. When I went to the dealer to try and replace the locking piece they said it's not used anymore and not needed. Hope that helps..
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2020, 11:13 PM   #47
Saleeb86
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
Guys,

As promised and great thanks to onfireX5 for the pictures and testings, here I present to you, the installation instruction for the RaceChip Ultimate.
Feel free to ask me for any question.

I attached the PDF file since it is easier or you can always find it on my website in the RaceChip Ultimate for F85/F86 X5M/X6M description.

Attachment 1389291
How do you get down to the sensors? The diy instructions kinda skip over that part. I understand removing crossbar and reservoir, but still nearly impossible to access sensors w enough clearance to unplug/replug. Do you just have to use force to push all the tubes out of the way? So many people have installed diy, but no mention of a good way to access sensors. Any suggestions? Thank you!

UPDATE 10/11/2020

Was able to squeeze my big ole man hands and get the tmap sensors rerouted and successfully installed the Racechip Black GTS! Follow up question: because the stock F85 has so many different configurations, I'm wondering the best stock settings to have car in (ie damppers, steering, engine, etc) to pair with Racechip tuning maps. For example, if I set RC to race (map 6 or 7), should I set all stock F85 settings to sport plus? Or does the tuning map override the engine setting? Same question for if I set RC map to eco or sport? Do I need to set stock settings to eco or sport, respectively?
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12963.50
      10-11-2020, 11:43 AM   #48
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
How do you get down to the sensors? The diy instructions kinda skip over that part. I understand removing crossbar and reservoir, but still nearly impossible to access sensors w enough clearance to unplug/replug. Do you just have to use force to push all the tubes out of the way? So many people have installed diy, but no mention of a good way to access sensors. Any suggestions? Thank you!

UPDATE 10/11/2020

Was able to squeeze my big ole man hands and get the tmap sensors rerouted and successfully installed the Racechip Black GTS! Follow up question: because the stock F85 has so many different configurations, I'm wondering the best stock settings to have car in (ie damppers, steering, engine, etc) to pair with Racechip tuning maps. For example, if I set RC to race (map 6 or 7), should I set all stock F85 settings to sport plus? Or does the tuning map override the engine setting? Same question for if I set RC map to eco or sport? Do I need to set stock settings to eco or sport, respectively?
RaceChip works on top of the factory driving mode.
So, if you are on map 6, eco will be stronger, sport will be stronger, and sport plus will be stronger than stock.

Whoever you purchased the RaceChip from didn't explain to you on how it works?
If you don't mind sharing the info of the company where you bought it from, at least other members will know whom they shouldn't purchase the product from.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2020, 05:13 PM   #49
Saleeb86
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
Quote:

UPDATE 10/11/2020

RaceChip works on top of the factory driving mode.
So, if you are on map 6, eco will be stronger, sport will be stronger, and sport plus will be stronger than stock.

Whoever you purchased the RaceChip from didn't explain to you on how it works?
If you don't mind sharing the info of the company where you bought it from, at least other members will know whom they shouldn't purchase the product from.
Purchased it directly from Racechip. They describe the different maps generally, but I was looking more for how the various RC/BMW settings played off eachother.

On a side note, been driving around for two days now in eco/eco, and am noticing my "miles left to empty" go down exceedingly faster. I know this car doesn't get great mpg to begin with 🤷*♂️, but from the time I start my car to when I get out of my parking garage at work it goes down around 3 miles. Definitely wasn't like that before installation. Kind of a shock based on the 20% increased fuel efficiency claim. Not that I expected a 20% increase, but definitely didn't expect my fuel economy to decrease (yes, I am driving the same as I did prior to installation, other than the test drive of course &#128526.

Has anyone else encountered this problem? Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2020, 05:22 PM   #50
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Purchased it directly from Racechip. They describe the different maps generally, but I was looking more for how the various RC/BMW settings played off eachother.

On a side note, been driving around for two days now in eco/eco, and am noticing my "miles left to empty" go down exceedingly faster. I know this car doesn't get great mpg to begin with 🤷*♂️, but from the time I start my car to when I get out of my parking garage at work it goes down around 3 miles. Definitely wasn't like that before installation. Kind of a shock based on the 20% increased fuel efficiency claim. Not that I expected a 20% increase, but definitely didn't expect my fuel economy to decrease (yes, I am driving the same as I did prior to installation, other than the test drive of course &#128526.

Has anyone else encountered this problem? Thanks in advance!
Don't use that miles left to empty as your benchmark. That number is not how to calculate your mpg.
The perfect way to count mpg is zero your odometer and drive until you about to fill up the tank, then divide that miles on your odometer to the amount of gas that you put-in.
I usually start with full tank and zero the odometer, and fill up when 1/4 tank left, then do the math.

And believe it or not, Eco setting won't necessarily gives you the best mpg.
Because in Eco setting, your car will feel sluggish and to compensate that, you will have to step more on your gas pedal, which will override the car's eco setting.

As you mentioned, this car doesn't have great MPG. IMO, when you drive M cars, mpg is out of the equation. The SPG is the most important. Smile Per Gallon.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 09:01 AM   #51
Franktea1$
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW e39 540 sport & BMW X5M

Does anyone have real-world true stats on 0-60 and 1/4 mile?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 02:15 PM   #52
skoold2003
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i M Sport, M3(sold)

Garage List
2014 X5 50i  [7.50]
I've noticed recently that when you dial up the settings on these tunes you really need to keep an eye on the octane. Even filling up with 91 I get some pinging and have to put in some octane boost. Maybe it's just because we have shitty has here in Nevada.
Appreciate 0