BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-22-2016, 08:57 AM   #1
Yoyoniner
Private
Rep
Drives: -

Akrapovic vs Eisenmann vs Dinan Exhaust

Well now I have an itch for an exhaust system. Never could afford one on my previous cars but always wanted one. Now I can afford one but not sure if it is worth it (as I have no experience with them).

I wanted to survey the owners of these exhaust systems.

Was the cost worth it in your mind?

Did it transform the car at all, or was it just a modest change? I'm not talking about speed, just sound. Sound can make a big difference in a love for a car.

Overall, would you do it over again knowing what you know now? And how satisfied are you with the purchase?

Also, did you guys all disable ASD?

Thanks a lot.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2016, 07:13 PM   #2
elisiX
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: '20 X3M Competition

From what I gather having not heard any in person (only YouTube):

Akrapovic - the best sound, valved but very expensive
Eisenmann Sport - sounds a little louder than stock, valved but not much cheaper than Akra
Eisenmann Race - incredible sound, not valved, reasonably priced at half of Akra
DINAN - similar to Eisenmann sport with a stock sound but louder, valved and priced well

DINAN sounds like best bang for buck as its valved and priced like the Eisenmann Raxe. However I'm not sure the Eisenmann or DINAN sport (valved) exhausts sound aggressive enough to justify it. My pick with no budget restrictions is Akra. With a budget, assuming you can accept the non valved nature, is the Eisenmann Race. If you must have a valved exhaust on a budget, DINAN all the way.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2016, 07:51 PM   #3
brs2120
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp

Garage List
Akrapovic is the best option by far.

I've heard all of them - nothing compares. For what it's worth - it's also the best looking. You could literally mount it as a piece of art.

Not sure about actual performance numbers, but I'm sure they are all pretty similar.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 07:45 AM   #4
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Don't think any exhaust will ever beat Akrapovic in the looks department. Its the Ferrari of all exhausts and you pay dearly for it.

Sound is subjective so different exhaust appeal to different people.

For me Dinan sounds the best but I too is worried that it isn't that much louder than stock. An exhaust for this car serves two functions which is for sound and for looks. If you can't even notice it being different from inside of the car I might as well get some Cyba tips. How much louder is this over stock from inside of the car?

Eisenmann race looks awesome with the 102mm tips but there are a few videos that eisenmann posted up that sounds great but there is one member here that posted up his video that doesn't sound all that great. Could be the camera he was using affecting the tone. Worried that this exhaust will drone like hell from inside of the car.

Alan

Last edited by Alan l.; 05-23-2016 at 07:54 AM..
Appreciate 1
D350z117.00
      05-23-2016, 07:52 AM   #5
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90M5,F85X5M

I have not personally heard any of them but would stay away from any system not valved for a true driver. Drone is a pita all day every day. I have much louder cars but would not drive them on vacation.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 07:27 PM   #6
nigelM5
Rep
Drives: 13 x6m

As long as the Akrapovic does NOT drone, that would be the one I would chose. I had an akrapovic on a Z06 vette and it droned so badly, I sold it on ebay within 3 days (and lost 1/2 of my money).

I would love someone (who does not make a living selling them) to confirm that the Akra does not drone like a dying cow on the X6m.

I was thinking......

Dinan exhaust ($2059) + dinan tune ($3089) = $5148 (+ install)

Akra exhaust ($6715) + Race Chip Tune ($611) = $7326 (+install)

So there is just over $2000 difference. Any thoughts? I want my '16M to sound better and a bit louder but not give me a headache every time I drive to work.

Would definitely go with the 'b' option if I knew it would sound good.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 08:08 PM   #7
jpsjr70
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l.
Don't think any exhaust will ever beat Akrapovic in the looks department. Its the Ferrari of all exhausts and you pay dearly for it.

Sound is subjective so different exhaust appeal to different people.

For me Dinan sounds the best but I too is worried that it isn't that much louder than stock. An exhaust for this car serves two functions which is for sound and for looks. If you can't even notice it being different from inside of the car I might as well get some Cyba tips. How much louder is this over stock from inside of the car?

Eisenmann race looks awesome with the 102mm tips but there are a few videos that eisenmann posted up that sounds great but there is one member here that posted up his video that doesn't sound all that great. Could be the camera he was using affecting the tone. Worried that this exhaust will drone like hell from inside of the car.

Alan
Alan next time I go to see Phil at Detailer Domain meet up with me.

Joe
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 08:08 PM   #8
elisiX
Major
Australia
Rep

If I was in the states, Akra all the way.

In Australia however, it's going to cost 10k. No thanks.

Eisenmann race sounds the most aggressive, but there will be some drone I expect. Though owners have told me (I've asked everyone I can), and they said they don't notice it. Not sure what to expect, but it's about 4K locally.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 09:21 PM   #9
Yoyoniner
Private
Rep
Drives: -

Maybe a dumb question, but can you tell the difference between the stock exhaust and these upgrades in the cabin with the windows closed? Honestly I don't care how it sounds to other people outside.
Appreciate 1
      05-25-2016, 09:01 AM   #10
Omar@VelosDesignwerks
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Different Ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoyoniner View Post
Maybe a dumb question, but can you tell the difference between the stock exhaust and these upgrades in the cabin with the windows closed? Honestly I don't care how it sounds to other people outside.
Yes you will be able to tell the difference with the exhaust inside the cabin. The biggest worry for the cabin would typically be drone but I have not experienced it with any of these.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2016, 07:09 AM   #11
elisiX
Major
Australia
Rep

Even the Eisenmann Race?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2016, 03:13 PM   #12
ForkLiter
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar@VelosDesignwerks View Post
Yes you will be able to tell the difference with the exhaust inside the cabin. The biggest worry for the cabin would typically be drone but I have not experienced it with any of these.
I haven't actually heard any of these so keep that in mind. I used to be in the business of designing and building systems like these. Building a bad exhaust for a V8 is really hard to do. You have to be terrible at it. Turbo V8 slightly more challenging. Turbo 4 cyl, the worst challenge for exhaust design (sound quality, drone, power, torque). You should be able to find a system with great sound and power gains (not a lot but some) for this vehicle.

Also, using titanium on such a heavy car is just a plain waste of money. It's just for show. However, Ti DOES sound different. More metallic in general. Keep in mind tip size and shape has a big impact on sound also.

Fitment is a HUGE concern and so is support/service. I would love to design a system for this car. With valves you could definitely have no drone and something really badass.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 11:21 PM   #13
Saleeb86
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X5 M (F85)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs2120 View Post
Akrapovic is the best option by far.

I've heard all of them - nothing compares. For what it's worth - it's also the best looking. You could literally mount it as a piece of art.

Not sure about actual performance numbers, but I'm sure they are all pretty similar.
Are you referring to sound with stock downpipes? I'm installing akra on my F85 next week, and want to assess the sound with stock downpipes before shelling out for high flow or catless.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 08:04 AM   #14
jab23
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5M

Also debating getting an exhaust for the first time ever and I've had about 20 cars in my lifetime. Will likely wait until my factory warranty expires in a year (unless I decide on Dinan). I just feel like this car could sound so much better. My RS5 (TT V6, not the glorious V8) had a better exhaust note to it.

I feel like each of the common options has drawabacks. I don't care for how far the Dinan tips stick out. Some need a remote to open and close the valves, and some are just crazy pricey.

I do want to hear a Dinan in person, especially from inside the cabin. Maybe the tips could be cut and recessed.

I suspect if I'm still loving the car in a year, there will be an Akra in my future. Looking forward to seeing what everyone decides here and how those feel about what they already purchased!
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 11:58 AM   #15
JDE92M3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 YMB M3

I went through this dilemma lol. And I’ll be honest IMO Dinan had the best sound. It is very throaty, and because it is a little more on the tame side. It justifies my idea to delete the resonators. And if for some reason I’m craving even more power and sound, I love the downpipe and Dinan exhaust setup. I don’t think my need will reach that level, I’m 99% sure my Dinan + resonator delete will be more than enough. And it will make all the noises I want out of my performance SUV. I think the other exhaust options are great, but for the money I don’t think they give a unique enough sound. Personal preference, but one potential issue I see if Dinan’s issue of having the exhaust tips stick out too far. But again I’ll address that when the exhaust actually arrive. I’ve been waiting for well over a month, should be delivering in the next week to two weeks!

JD
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 09:04 PM   #16
andreray
Rep
Drives: 2011 328xdrive sport wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleeb86 View Post
Are you referring to sound with stock downpipes? I'm installing akra on my F85 next week, and want to assess the sound with stock downpipes before shelling out for high flow or catless.
Just placed an order for the Akrapovic. I went back and forth between every exhaust out there and it came down to the Akra and Capristo. The main deciding factor was controlling the stock electronic valves with the Akra as opposed to controlling the vacuum exhaust valves on the Capristo with their remote. Price was better on the Akra although not by much. I liked the idea of saving 34lbs as well going with titanium. IMO those two exhausts compliment the vehicle/motor best. Next week can’t come any sooner.
Appreciate 1
      12-16-2020, 07:40 AM   #17
imtheant
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 F85 Melbourne Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDE92M3 View Post
I went through this dilemma lol. And I’ll be honest IMO Dinan had the best sound. It is very throaty, and because it is a little more on the tame side. It justifies my idea to delete the resonators. And if for some reason I’m craving even more power and sound, I love the downpipe and Dinan exhaust setup. I don’t think my need will reach that level, I’m 99% sure my Dinan + resonator delete will be more than enough. And it will make all the noises I want out of my performance SUV. I think the other exhaust options are great, but for the money I don’t think they give a unique enough sound. Personal preference, but one potential issue I see if Dinan’s issue of having the exhaust tips stick out too far. But again I’ll address that when the exhaust actually arrive. I’ve been waiting for well over a month, should be delivering in the next week to two weeks!

JD
JD - did you end up pulling the trigger on the Dinan? Any videos of how it sounds?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2020, 08:13 AM   #18
JDE92M3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by imtheant View Post
JD - did you end up pulling the trigger on the Dinan? Any videos of how it sounds?
Actually I ended up cancelling my Dinan order, it is still on back order. I found a sweet deal on an Eisenmann Race. I am so happy that I made that decision, because originally I wanted Dinan and downpipes. But for some reason the X5M and downpipes gets a little too raspy for my liking. Whereas with the Eisenmann it is deep, bassy and a good loud. And my interior cabin noise is perfect, because I buy exhaust to hear it at least a little in the car. If that doesn’t happen I start looking for the next exhaust mod haha. So I’m happy to report I have no more inclination to modify the exhaust, the Eisenmann Race alone is perfect for me. Would a valve be nice, yes. Would I ever use it? Likely not lol. My others M3s have a valved exhausts and I can’t tell you when I’ve closed the valves haha.

JD
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2020, 11:24 AM   #19
imtheant
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 F85 Melbourne Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDE92M3 View Post
Actually I ended up cancelling my Dinan order, it is still on back order. I found a sweet deal on an Eisenmann Race. I am so happy that I made that decision, because originally I wanted Dinan and downpipes. But for some reason the X5M and downpipes gets a little too raspy for my liking. Whereas with the Eisenmann it is deep, bassy and a good loud. And my interior cabin noise is perfect, because I buy exhaust to hear it at least a little in the car. If that doesn’t happen I start looking for the next exhaust mod haha. So I’m happy to report I have no more inclination to modify the exhaust, the Eisenmann Race alone is perfect for me. Would a valve be nice, yes. Would I ever use it? Likely not lol. My others M3s have a valved exhausts and I can’t tell you when I’ve closed the valves haha.

JD
Can you post a video of the Eismann??
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2020, 10:32 PM   #20
JDE92M3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by imtheant View Post
Can you post a video of the Eismann??
I will try to post a video soon on my Instagram! But I will have a YouTube video up, just takes time for me to edit. I’ll update when I make it

JD
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2020, 07:25 PM   #21
DKNewYork
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07' M5, 17' X5M

Went with FI exhaust. Was about to get Eisenmann Race but went with FI because it's catback.

12-18-2020, 02:55 PM   #22
notyourdadsf86
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 X6M

Garage List
2016 BMW X6M  [0.00]
Not sure if I'm doing this right but I'm linking two videos of my exhaust. Sorry they were so short. Hopefully I'll get longer videos in the future.

It's Valvetronics Custom valved Catback exhaust. As of now, I believe this is the only one they've made so far.