Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 991.1 911 GTS, '16 F85 X5M

Garage List
2013 BMW ///M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
You can use double sided tape to replace the chrome one after.

Removing the tape after sometime may be a little challenging, but no heat gun can't do to soften up that double sided tape.
thanks!
      12-03-2017, 08:26 PM   #24
pachieh
Captain
Rep
Drives: '17 X5M

My thoughts on install...

"I think the Germans fusion welded the tabs in."

"Glad I've been hitting the rock gym more frequently for finger strength."

DIY is on point, just be prepared to use more force than you thought. I honestly though I was going to bend the fender at some points because the damn tabs wouldn't break. This is why painters tape ALL around is critical.

I have long fingers so I was able to get my hand in the fender and help work the front part from the inside enough to where that was actually easier than the other parts.

I pretty much destroyed two Bondo spreaders. Why? That's how flat and tight my tabs were.

Note to IND: It would be nice if every set of these you sold had double-sided tape pre-installed.

Last edited by pachieh; 12-03-2017 at 08:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2018, 05:12 PM   #25
sheepwow
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: F85

Which 1 Should I use for the double side tape

Indoor or outdoor
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2018, 03:12 PM   #26
IND-Distribution
BMW obsessed
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 / G82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachieh View Post
Note to IND: It would be nice if every set of these you sold had double-sided tape pre-installed.
The ones bought from us have the tape pre-installed before shipping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepwow View Post

Indoor or outdoor

We use automotive 3M tape.
      06-30-2019, 05:00 PM   #27
Mgarage
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire M4, X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by IND-Distribution View Post
Quote:

Quote:

Indoor or outdoor

Mine didn't came with the double side tape pre-installed, IND sent me the tape right away by mail along with a picture showing where to install the tape.

Awesome job!

But for some reason, Didn't work very well in the right side, left side its prefectly fine, tight fitting.

Both side grilles had a big gap in the top area where the X6M logo is located si I decided to put some tape also to help with the fit .

Please see the pictures and notice how nice and tight is the left side, and the left side is coming off from that top area!
How to fix it?

I need to remove it again and install double the amount of tape?

What will be the safest way to remove it without breaking it?

I don't want to pull it now because of the tape, im scared i will break it.

Any ideas?
Attached Images

06-30-2019, 05:05 PM   #28
Mgarage
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: Black Sapphire M4, X6M

Left side

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgarage View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IND-Distribution View Post
Quote:

Quote:

Indoor or outdoor

Mine didn't came with the double side tape pre-installed, IND sent me the tape right away by mail along with a picture showing where to install the tape.

Awesome job!

But for some reason, Didn't work very well in the right side, left side its prefectly fine, tight fitting.

Both side grilles had a big gap in the top area where the X6M logo is located si I decided to put some tape also to help with the fit .

Please see the pictures and notice how nice and tight is the left side, and the left side is coming off from that top area!
How to fix it?

I need to remove it again and install double the amount of tape?

What will be the safest way to remove it without breaking it?

I don't want to pull it now because of the tape, im scared i will break it.

Any ideas?
Here you have the left side grille
Attached Images

02-21-2020, 05:16 PM   #29
bbal
Private
Rep
Drives: 06 E46M3, 10 E93, 17 F85

Reviving a thread...my 2017 (owned since new) was a PIA to remove the side emblems. They were GLUED ON all over the place! Some kind of black glue. Had to be chiseled off with a screwdriver. No idea why they were different than everyone else's on here. Hopefully the tape met the paint in enough spots after I was done to keep them on.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 08:58 AM   #30
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbal View Post
Reviving a thread...my 2017 (owned since new) was a PIA to remove the side emblems. They were GLUED ON all over the place! Some kind of black glue. Had to be chiseled off with a screwdriver. No idea why they were different than everyone else's on here. Hopefully the tape met the paint in enough spots after I was done to keep them on.
Uh, they used betalink on it?
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2020, 07:31 AM   #31
bbal
Private
Rep
Drives: 06 E46M3, 10 E93, 17 F85

Ha yes betalink I believe. I guess I could’ve heated it to help get it off. That stuff is permanent glue that’s for damn sure.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12801.50
      02-23-2020, 02:00 PM   #32
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbal View Post
Ha yes betalink I believe. I guess I could've heated it to help get it off. That stuff is permanent glue that's for damn sure.
That won't even budge with heatgun.
That is the same as what they use for windshield.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 05:12 PM   #33
J0hnnyB0yx5m
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M

Sorry to bring up old thread but having trouble getting my old ones off need help.. started with drivers side broke the chrome trim and pulled on the whole piece and won't budge.. r the factory vents clipped in the back or just taped
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 05:31 PM   #34
J0hnnyB0yx5m
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Never mind guys. I wind up forcing it off and broke the stock trim because it was CLIPPED IN NOT DOUBLE SIDED TAPE lol
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 05:35 PM   #35
jab23
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0hnnyB0yx5m View Post
Sorry to bring up old thread but having trouble getting my old ones off need help.. started with drivers side broke the chrome trim and pulled on the whole piece and won't budge.. r the factory vents clipped in the back or just taped
I did mine last week. First and foremost make sure you tape a lot with painters tape just to be safe. Try to get the tape under the edges of the OEM vend as much as possible. Double it up.

The factory pieces have the plastic tabs melted on the back side if the fender. It took a lot more force to break those tabs than I thought. I too broke one of the chrome pieces. I didn't realize the chrome was a separate piece attached to the black piece on the back. I initially wedged the bondo spreader between the chrome and black and pulled. Chrome broke. When I realized my mistake and got the spreader wedged behind the black plastic at the top, I forced my fingers in behind the bondo spreader and yanked. It took a lot more force than I thought but I finally got the top tab to break. Worked my way down from there. Again, more force than I expected. When I did the other side, wedged in the spreader and my fingers at the top and yanked hard. Almost fell over backward when the whole thing came off at once.

After that I used a small punch to push the remaining pieces of the broken tabs into the fender. The rest went as planned.

Hope that makes sense and helps.

Edit: Ah man. Was typing while you figured it out.
Appreciate 1
MM198422.50
      10-23-2020, 07:36 PM   #36
J0hnnyB0yx5m
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Lmfao yea man I thought it was going to be easy and same on the almost fell over part.. those factory tabs r no joke I was literally pulling my hardest n wasn't budging
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 11:29 AM   #37
twonb1
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Question what are the x6m guys doing to secure these to the car since there is nothing for the fender grill to make contact with
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 03:38 PM   #38
JohnG123
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X6M

See the thread above. You need the small screws that go in as an angle the head of the 4 screws holds it in place. The F86 fixing are different than the F85.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2020, 05:47 PM   #39
mtr3s
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

Has anyone's fender emblem faces come off? Mine came off and I noticed it was held by small pieces of double sided tape (these are OEM). I used adhesive promoter to see if that will work out.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2020, 08:16 PM   #40
imtheant
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 F85 Melbourne Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0hnnyB0yx5m View Post
Lmfao yea man I thought it was going to be easy and same on the almost fell over part.. those factory tabs r no joke I was literally pulling my hardest n wasn't budging
The factory ones use no double sided tape. Its just a bunch of clips that you really need to break to get the thing to budge. Took me 20 min on one side and then 2 min on the other side!
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2021, 07:01 PM   #41
vinnyidol
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X6M

Hi, quick question. How do you guys remove the x6m badging from the vender? I want to purchase carbon fiber fenders and it has that indentation where I can transfer the badging on it but it doesn't look like I can take it off from the OEM fenders?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2021, 05:15 PM   #42
silentm
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnyidol View Post
Hi, quick question. How do you guys remove the x6m badging from the vender? I want to purchase carbon fiber fenders and it has that indentation where I can transfer the badging on it but it doesn't look like I can take it off from the OEM fenders?
You should be able to. They use an a liquid adhesive that turns into a 2 sided tape. It's very thin. No one talks about this, but its a BMW part number and it's made by DuPont.

If there is an interest I can post the Info here.

I talked this job over the weekend and took less than 15 minutes once I knew the I had to break the old grill tabs.

I did not use as much 2 sided tape and opted not to use the liquid either.

The issue some are experiencing with side bulge is because of the 2 sided tape in the wrong location, but it's only an issue if it's an issue for you.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 06:26 PM   #43
vinnyidol
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentm View Post
You should be able to. They use an a liquid adhesive that turns into a 2 sided tape. It's very thin. No one talks about this, but its a BMW part number and it's made by DuPont.

I talked this job over the weekend and took less than 15 minutes once I knew the I had to break the old grill tabs.

The issue some are experiencing with side bulge is because of the 2 sided tape in the wrong location, but it's only an issue if it's an issue for you.
Yes can you please go in detail on how to take it off?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 06:32 PM   #44
silentm
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnyidol View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by silentm View Post

Yes can you please go in detail on how to take it off?
In my case I knew where the tabs were and pulled by hand to break them off, but not trying to rip the fender out.

There is an opening for air from from inside the the wheel tub. You don't have to take the wheel off (I didn't) to get your hand in the open slot to feel where the tabs are. Most likely you won't be able to break the ends from the inside with your fingers and will need good quality needle nose that don't twist to break the tabs.

As mentioned, in my case this is how I started. I taped side that led to the door. Driver side, tape off right side and reverse for opposite. I have a trim pry tool that I was able to Gently insert between the grill and the fender enough to get my finger between the grill and the fender. With a little wiggle I broke the first tab, and repeated the process. The tabs that were broken were pushed in and fell off eventually. There is a YouTube video that pretty much describes what I mentioned.

I did not reheat the tabs from the inside to replicate factory style even though I bought the grills from the dealer. I also did not use the factory adhesive. I used double tape, but not as much as most people. Just the best area for contact. It's been a week and they have not fallen off. However: I can see why you would need a lot more double sided tape if you live in a 4 season climate area.

If you need further guidance, PM me and I can walk you through it.
Appreciate 0