BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-01-2020, 03:53 PM   #89
KCTiger
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

PhillyX5M and SupersixM ...

When you get in your car, does your unit automatically connect to your phone's wifi hotspot?

On my phone (with spring but I am moving to ATT this week), I have to go to Settings > General > WiFi hotspot. WiFi hotspot is ALWAYS on, but for some reason, I still have to navigate to the screen. As soon as I navigate to this settings screen, my android screen starts to connect.

Do you guys have to do this? Any workarounds? Certainly not a huge deal, but might get a dedicated line if it will always be that way.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 04:20 PM   #90
unluky
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 z4 3.0 Sport & 15 X5 35i XD

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCTiger View Post
I ordered the last one. Zlink is the app that enables CarPlay. Not flawless but pretty good actually IMO.

Just to reinforce, zero lag with this product. It is pretty quick. I am going to get a dedicated wireless connection for it.

I also installed Nova launcher like SupersixM and like it quite a bit.
OK so I don't do Apple and it states that the Android Auto needs a wired connection either way - so the Zlink would be zero benefit to me then it sounds - correct?

Appreciate the help - I'm ready to pull the trigger and just want to get the right one!
      06-01-2020, 04:24 PM   #91
unluky
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

When you get in your car, does your unit automatically connect to your phone's wifi hotspot?

On my phone (with spring but I am moving to ATT this week), I have to go to Settings > General > WiFi hotspot. WiFi hotspot is ALWAYS on, but for some reason, I still have to navigate to the screen. As soon as I navigate to this settings screen, my android screen starts to connect.

Do you guys have to do this? Any workarounds? Certainly not a huge deal, but might get a dedicated line if it will always be that way.

Thanks!
You have an android and your mobile hotspot stays on all the time? I have had android for a long time and never owned one that did not shut itself off when no connections were present? I was thinking of trying to use Tasker to turn it on when BMW connects via bluetooth or something like that. Your hotspot does not "go to sleep" or anything - correct? Just guessing here. Have you tried turning it off and then back on and then starting your car to see if a "fresh" session will connect automatically? Again - just spitballing

Or I may just pay the $10 per month for a sim card and be done with it.
      06-01-2020, 06:53 PM   #92
KCTiger
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

So I think you do need Zlink. If you read the description, the one WITHOUT Zlink says "without Apple Carplay/Android Auto."

I have an iPhone and my mobile hotspot is always on. However, it does seem like something has to "trigger" it to allow other devices to connect. I am lazy and impatient and do not want to be required to do something to trigger the connection. Bc of this, I will just pay $10/month for a sim card most likely and be done with it (as you suggested).
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 08:11 PM   #93
SupersixM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by unluky View Post
Quote:

Thanks!
You have an android and your mobile hotspot stays on all the time? I have had android for a long time and never owned one that did not shut itself off when no connections were present? I was thinking of trying to use Tasker to turn it on when BMW connects via bluetooth or something like that. Your hotspot does not "go to sleep" or anything - correct? Just guessing here. Have you tried turning it off and then back on and then starting your car to see if a "fresh" session will connect automatically? Again - just spitballing

Or I may just pay the $10 per month for a sim card and be done with it.
Pay the 10 and be done with it
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 08:15 PM   #94
SupersixM
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Thanks!
I have a hotspot in the trunk powered by rear outlet. When car turns on, hotspot turns, headunit automatically connects. About 20 seconds.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 08:46 AM   #95
unluky
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersixM View Post
I have a hotspot in the trunk powered by rear outlet. When car turns on, hotspot turns, headunit automatically connects. About 20 seconds.
That sounds like a great idea - but doesn't the hotspot cost more than just adding another sim to your cell package with the $10 access fee or whatever?
      06-02-2020, 08:48 AM   #96
unluky
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
So I think you do need Zlink. If you read the description, the one WITHOUT Zlink says "without Apple Carplay/Android Auto."

I have an iPhone and my mobile hotspot is always on. However, it does seem like something has to "trigger" it to allow other devices to connect. I am lazy and impatient and do not want to be required to do something to trigger the connection. Bc of this, I will just pay $10/month for a sim card most likely and be done with it (as you suggested).
You might be right. I will PROBABLY never use android auto if I have to plug it in, but then again I might? Probably safer to have it and not use it than want it and not have it to save a couple of bucks.

Thanks for all the info!
      06-02-2020, 08:53 AM   #97
unluky
Major
Rep

Garage List
And FYI for you Android users - this is what I was thinking about doing when I get it. When my phone connects via bluetooth to my X5 - Tasker will tell it to turn on the hotspot and then turn it back off when the X5 disconnects.

In case it helps anyone.............

06-02-2020, 03:02 PM   #98
SupersixM
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
That sounds like a great idea - but doesn't the hotspot cost more than just adding another sim to your cell package with the $10 access fee or whatever?
Yeah it's cheaper to add another line, but I don't have the 4g lte edition. If I had the 4g lte I would get a sim.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2020, 09:48 AM   #99
unluky
Major
Rep

Garage List
I ordered mine today. Shipped went up to $101 which is ridiculous - but I have been pondering a way to use android better in my X5 since I spend so much time in it - so I just ate it. The longer I wait - the less I will enjoy it - right?

Nice to have one that has been tested by forum members - so better than trying to save a buck and getting burned - thanks for all the info all of you! Now the month wait...........
      06-04-2020, 08:57 PM   #100
musa
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F86, E92, E53, E39.

Quote:
And FYI for you Android users - this is what I was thinking about doing when I get it. When my phone connects via bluetooth to my X5 - Tasker will tell it to turn on the hotspot and then turn it back off when the X5 disconnects.

In case it helps anyone.............

Gotta try this. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2020, 08:48 AM   #101
unluky
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyX5M View Post
Just by using it today I can say that there is no lag at all. Screen is responsive and scrolls without any delays. All the application run smoothly. I installed goodle maps, sygic, wase and they all work great when driving. I used my phone as wifi spot but unit has 4G too.
Sound is great, no static. Love the big screen for YouTube and movies
Hey PhillyX5M - still liking it? 2 questions - is the sim card slot exposed once it is installed? I was wondering if I needed to make up my mind before it arrives and have the SIM card to put in before I install or if I can get to it later?

And - when you need to connect to the screen (like to use Android Auto, etc) can you still use the OEM ports to do this? Or does it come with it's own AUX in for these purposes you have to have access to???

Thank you for the info so far! Just trying to plan ahead.
      06-12-2020, 01:40 PM   #102
unluky
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Hey PhillyX5M - still liking it? 2 questions - is the sim card slot exposed once it is installed? I was wondering if I needed to make up my mind before it arrives and have the SIM card to put in before I install or if I can get to it later?

And - when you need to connect to the screen (like to use Android Auto, etc) can you still use the OEM ports to do this? Or does it come with it's own AUX in for these purposes you have to have access to???

Thank you for the info so far! Just trying to plan ahead.

Holy Moly - never mind! My unit arrived today. I am seriously impressed! I ordered it the 3rd and it arrived today! I was expecting 30 days or more! I guess for $100 in shipping - I should have expected faster service....

Hope this unit works as good as their service has been so far!
      06-23-2020, 10:33 AM   #103
unluky
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
You figured it out? I can walk you through it

SupersixM - can you walk me though it?? I can't seem to figure out how to do the split screen. I think I would like it better as most things are super stretched when in android full screen and I think this would actually make them better while also being able to do 2 things at once!

I switched to nova launcher too - but now it does not automatically switch to camera view when I put it in reverse. The sensors still sound, but it was working flawlessly - maybe I lost that with the launcher? If I have it on the OEM side - it still works perfect however.

Maybe we need to start a thread to put all the tricks and tips on these in so the info can be found all in one post and can be updated as good info comes in!

Can't crack this split screen though......
      09-10-2020, 07:50 PM   #104
alex.zz
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW x6m f86 2015

Great thread, thank you. Would be amazing to get some extra features:
1. Find my phone, ak find my car. Is it working when car off? I don't think so. But anyway imagine situation, if your car stolen and someone on the way to his dream life, your car nav could start screaming and message on screen appears: Car will be locked in 3 minutes, police on the way. Lol.
2. Should be amazing, if it will have some wide range camera as a dash cam built in in the nav, sliding out, like some xiaomi phones camera.

Uh, looks like I'm high
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 11:32 PM   #105
cr8tive
Rep
Drives: 2016 x5m black

Does the 360 camera work on this unit? About to pull the trigger.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 01:08 PM   #106
KLR X5M
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

Quote:
SupersixM - can you walk me though it?? I can't seem to figure out how to do the split screen. I think I would like it better as most things are super stretched when in android full screen and I think this would actually make them better while also being able to do 2 things at once!

I switched to nova launcher too - but now it does not automatically switch to camera view when I put it in reverse. The sensors still sound, but it was working flawlessly - maybe I lost that with the launcher? If I have it on the OEM side - it still works perfect however.

Maybe we need to start a thread to put all the tricks and tips on these in so the info can be found all in one post and can be updated as good info comes in!

Can't crack this split screen though......
Just got mine from CarNavi this week too. Looking forward to installing this weekend.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 02:48 PM   #107
SupersixM
Lieutenant
Rep

So on some some board shit, might wanna consider plugging a DAC in one of the USBs and route to AUX in center console. Sound is waaay clearer and better coming from Android side. Did what Sunny_J did and used a Cyrus Soundkey from Amazon and it make the music that much better...
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 05:55 PM   #108
musa
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F86, E92, E53, E39.

For Iphone users, here's how to automatically enable Personal Hotspot when a bluetooth device is in range (Similar to Tasker for Android). Requires the Iphone to be jail-breaked - not possible in vanilla iOS as there's no API to automatically open the Personal Hotspot screen.

https://apple.stackexchange.com/ques...evice-is-in-ra
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 12:09 PM   #109
Yuille36
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M, BMW M3, MB E63 AMG

Garage List
2015 BMW X5M  [0.00]
I'm curious as to show this will work with a iPhone, as this display is Android based.
Is apple supported?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 03:38 PM   #110
XxBBVTMxX
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d, 2008 Lexus IS-F

Garage List
Good afternoon fellow enthusiast,

So I went all in and purchased the Snapdragon Android 10 w/ 4gb Ram & 64G Rom (8 Core)-4G/LTE (LG 1920x720) from 4x4Shop.

-Anti Glare Blue Screen
-Wireless CarPlay (Zlink)
-GPS Splitter
-TV Module (ATSC)
-HDMI Output

love this thing.. it's smooth, looks awesome, and it works great. Perfect integration and I can use both OEM & Android sides with no issues. The only thing I don't like is that it will display my diesel in Liters on the Android (ID7) side.

TV Module was a pain at first because they provide no instructions but I figured it out and got it properly connected with fuse taps to keep it profesional. Digital TV works great but depending on where you are and the signal.. of course.

So I've got a plan w/ SIM from AT&T and I've been talking to their tech support for about 4 days now, done everything they've asked me to do with no avail. Still only getting 3G service with this unit. They are still helping me on this.

I'm wondering if anyone has this same screen w/ the "4G/LTE capable" and if their 4G/LTE is working? I've even made sure the LTE APN settings for AT&T were correct and nothing.

Anybody?
Appreciate 0