BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-10-2016, 10:46 AM   #23
spike5150
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrivederci View Post
Ah good to know that the one I saw wasn't the only option. I have an execuhitch arriving this week. Will try to install this weekend.
Did you get the OEM harness at least? if not you will have PDC going berserk when towing as aftermarket harnesses do not have the ability to turn PDC off when towing.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2016, 01:23 PM   #24
arrivederci
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike5150 View Post
Did you get the OEM harness at least? if not you will have PDC going berserk when towing as aftermarket harnesses do not have the ability to turn PDC off when towing.
Yep. OEM harness and will code for OEM zoom, etc. I'll mostly be carrying a bike rack, but need the option to tow an open trailer w/ car.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2016, 02:27 PM   #25
RPI-M5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition Frozen Bla

I just got this installed and some first impressions

1. It definitely does change the look of the rear end a bit. I'm not that concerned about it since i value function equally to form, but it would disqualify making this a show car

2. The swappable hitch attachments are clever. The whole 2 inch receiver is a separate assembly that can be installed and removed. It takes some time to figure out how it works, but once you do, super easy.

3. Ground Clearance - the whole assembly does sit beneath the level of the rear bumper/valence and exhaust. If you tend to drive in deep snow or deep mud, this may cause an issue.

4. Electronics wiring - the install does require a re-programming of the car to accept the hitch. This took the longest time at the dealer. Also, the wiring harness is sort of exposed to the elements between the hitch and the car. Something to keep an eye on.
      12-17-2019, 07:31 PM   #26
335i101
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E60 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI-M5 View Post
I just got this installed and some first impressions

1. It definitely does change the look of the rear end a bit. I'm not that concerned about it since i value function equally to form, but it would disqualify making this a show car

2. The swappable hitch attachments are clever. The whole 2 inch receiver is a separate assembly that can be installed and removed. It takes some time to figure out how it works, but once you do, super easy.

3. Ground Clearance - the whole assembly does sit beneath the level of the rear bumper/valence and exhaust. If you tend to drive in deep snow or deep mud, this may cause an issue.

4. Electronics wiring - the install does require a re-programming of the car to accept the hitch. This took the longest time at the dealer. Also, the wiring harness is sort of exposed to the elements between the hitch and the car. Something to keep an eye on.
I just received my 2" ball and the additional receiver for the OEM hitch. For 450.00 you would think these bitches would work seamlessly.

I messed around with them for about 20 minutes and can't seem to figure out how to lock them in place?!?

I never get the "green" indicator that the instructions reference. This shouldn't be so confusing, the instructions appear to have been written by a grade schooler.

Any help would be great.

I can't even find a video of it on YouTube.
2008 M5 with muffler delete-sold
2007 650i-sold
2008 335i-JB4, DP, Meth-sold
Appreciate 1
cncmastr1579.00
      04-12-2020, 10:00 PM   #27
Tixpack
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5, BMW GT 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335i101 View Post
I just received my 2" ball and the additional receiver for the OEM hitch. For 450.00 you would think these bitches would work seamlessly.

I messed around with them for about 20 minutes and can't seem to figure out how to lock them in place?!?

I never get the "green" indicator that the instructions reference. This shouldn't be so confusing, the instructions appear to have been written by a grade schooler.

Any help would be great.

335i101,
Were you ever able to figure it out? I just had the tow package installed on my X5 and I cannot figure out how to my hitch off. I would prefer to not have it on all the time but I can't it out and as you mentioned, I cannot find a YouTube video on it at all.

Thanks,
Tixpack
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 02:25 PM   #28
Viper501
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: ‘20 MB GLE 350W4, ‘

Quote:

Any help would be great.

Argghhh ... I've been doing battle with two of them on my new to me F85. Any tips on how to get this functioning properly would be greatly appreciated. Not only do I not want either of them getting swiped but I really don't want one jumping ship on the road.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 02:28 PM   #29
335i101
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E60 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tixpack View Post
Quote:

Any help would be great.

335i101,
Were you ever able to figure it out? I just had the tow package installed on my X5 and I cannot figure out how to my hitch off. I would prefer to not have it on all the time but I can't it out and as you mentioned, I cannot find a YouTube video on it at all.

Thanks,
Tixpack
Sorry for the super delayed reaponse. I was able to get one of the 2 connected and it worked really nice.

However, that was a while ago, so I don't remember if I was able to get the ball attached or the receiver.

I bought a G wagon and have been using that for towing...have not yet utilized the X for towing. Sorry.
2008 M5 with muffler delete-sold
2007 650i-sold
2008 335i-JB4, DP, Meth-sold
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 02:46 PM   #30
Viper501
Enlisted Member
Rep

@335i101 no worries. I actually just posted the question. I can get the candy cane thing in and it seems secure but I can't rotate around to the green and of course the car didn't have any instructions on the hitch install. And the owner's manual is worthless ... sigh ...
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 08:13 PM   #31
Viper501
Enlisted Member
Rep

So an update. Had to have the brake fluid flushed today. Service manager managed to get the hitch to function properly with a bit of force installing. As soon as the hitch was slammed home it popped into the green and could be locked down.
Appreciate 0