BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-12-2019, 11:18 PM   #1
Ehloo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 15 x5 m

AFE Momentum Air Filter intake Box Review

AFE has a Black Friday special and couldn’t help myself. I have owned pretty much every filter on the market- Dinan, RK Front Mount and now this. The AFE when released intrigued me with the new box design, smooth pipe design and larger filters. But the pictures online were bad and didn’t seem that anybody actually tried it. A lot of people questioned of there was a opening in the front to allow fresh air from the radiator to channel in. Was hard to see in the pics.

Packaging- not much To say here but product cameun-damaged and everything labeled with instructions. I have installed and uninstalled various Intakes several times so it only took me 15 mins to install it.

Quality- intake is high quality and comes with a new abs
Plastic box. Sturdy and should hold up over time. I ended up with the dry filters instead of the wet oil filters that actually flow better. They were back ordered on the wet ones and didn’t tell anyone till 2
Weeks later. Didn’t want to wait any longer so changed to dry.
Dry does not require re-oil after wash. The intake tubes have a smooth transition from filter outlet. This smooth transition is essential in better flow. Pretty much a velocity stack

Performance- only a couple of miles but I can say acceleration over stock is night and day. Gas pedal feels very sensitive now. It’s a semi opened I take even though it has a new box. It has vents directly on top of the filters and another vent on the rear of the box. Everyone was concerned that it would draw hot air in and most likely would but with the opening in the front by the radiator that would constantly provide fresh cool air. The vents and opening were most likely for acoustics. I can hear the intake from in the car. Not as much as my RK but is a good alternative. The RK has been awesome but it has been raining abnormally more in NorCal and although everyone says the front mount is on in the rain I didn’t want to take the chance. You can hear much more than the dinan. I can say it makes power. Not sure how much but for the price it’s a good deal.
Cheapest Intake on the markets. The filters used are much larger that Oem and have like 50 percent more surface area.

AFE started making filters and still their bread and butter. They have years of experience and like that

No pics of the install. FedEx came much later than expected and slapped it on before heading out to dinner.

I’ll will post some pics over the weekend
Attached Images

Last edited by Ehloo; 12-30-2019 at 11:57 PM..
Appreciate 4
Blewx5m128.00
Logical209.50
GotV8?1050.50
      12-12-2019, 11:54 PM   #2
Blewx5m
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 x5m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehloo View Post
AFE has a Black Friday special and couldn’t help myself. I have owned pretty much every filter on the market- Dinan, RK Front Mount and now this. The AFE when released intrigued me with the new box design, smooth pipe design and larger filters. But the pictures online were bad and didn’t seem that anybody actually tried it. A lot of people questioned of there was a opening in the front to allow fresh air from the radiator to channel in. Was hard to see in the pics.

Packaging- not much To say here but product cameun-damaged and everything labeled with instructions. I have installed and uninstalled various Intakes several times so it only took me 15 mins to install it.

Quality- intake is high quality and comes with a new abs
Plastic box. Sturdy and should hold up over time. I ended up with the dry filters instead of the wet oil filters that actually flow better. They were back ordered on the wet ones and didn’t tell anyone till 2
Weeks later. Didn’t want to wait any longer so changed to dry.
Dry does not require re-oil after wash. The intake tubes have a smooth transition from filter outlet. This smooth transition is essential in better flow. Pretty much a velocity stack

Performance- only a couple of miles but I can say acceleration over stock is night and day. Gas pedal feels very sensitive now. It’s a semi opened I take even though it has a new box. It has vents directly on top of the filters and another vent on the rear of the box. Everyone was concerned that it would draw hot air in and most likely would but with the opening in the front by the radiator that would constantly provide fresh cool air. The vents and opening were most likely for acoustics. I can hear the intake from in the car. Not as much as my RK but is a good alternative. The RK has been awesome but it has been raining abnormally more in NorCal and although everyone says the front mount is on in the rain I didn’t want to take the chance. You can hear much more than the dinan. I can say it makes power. Not sure how much but for the price it’s a good deal.
Cheapest Intake on the markets. The filters used are much larger that Oem and have like 50 percent more surface area.

AFE started making filters and still their bread and butter. They have years of experience and like that

No pics of the install. FedEx came much later than expected and slapped it on before heading out to dinner.

I’ll will post some pics over the weekend
I bought one too but i haven't installed it yet... Its currently getting painted.. Thanks for the great review.. Post some pictures!
Appreciate 1
cncmastr1579.00
      12-13-2019, 03:52 AM   #3
Bobby_Drake
Major
Rep
Drives: '16 X5M

AFE claims up to 36% airlfow increase, 18 HP, and 20 lbs torque

https://afepower.com/afe-power-50-40...-intake-system
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2019, 01:10 PM   #4
JohnG123
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X6M

Any pictures of the install ?.

I have the Dinan air filters installed at the moment. Is there any difference in the noise levels would you say between the two systems.
Many thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2019, 09:10 PM   #5
PhillyX5M
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG123 View Post

I have the Dinan air filters installed at the moment. Is there any difference in the noise levels would you say between the two systems.
Many thanks
I am getting my AFE tomorrow. Will be replacing the Dinan filters...Will try to take some pictures.

When all is done will let you know guys my opinion.

Was able to install it today. Removed Dinan and dropped AFE.
One thing for sure you can definitely hear more intake noise from the engine and with open windows in the summer I am sure it will be more noticable.

Cant say about HP increase if any yet. Will need to drive few days.
Will update later. But today car felt more responsive at higher speed.

Some pictures after install.
Attached Images

Last edited by PhillyX5M; 01-25-2020 at 09:38 AM..
Appreciate 3
      12-17-2019, 10:59 PM   #6
GGreek5
Olimpiakos
Greece
Rep
Drives: M3

I have one available if anyone is interested. Used for a couple days only. pm me. Sound is amazing and can definitely tell a difference.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2019, 12:42 AM   #7
Ehloo
Captain
Rep

Sorry I haven’t posted pics. Picked up a new m8 and have been having out in their forum.

Intake noise is definitely more noticeable compared to Dinan. Throttle response is instant and overall a great product for the price. Dinan should of made a plastic version to cut the cost down but learning from other manufactures producing in carbon is actually cheaper

Can’t really say one is better than the other. If you compare price the AFE is a better option

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG123 View Post

Many thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2019, 10:14 AM   #8
JohnG123
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X6M

Thanks for the update.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2019, 11:26 AM   #9
pachieh
Captain
Rep
Drives: '17 X5M

I wonder what the flowbench results on the afe are compared to the Dinan...
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2019, 08:19 PM   #10
KCTiger
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachieh View Post
I wonder what the flowbench results on the afe are compared to the Dinan...
I bought GGreek5's and will be installing it in January. As others get theirs installed, please let us know how they are. I might get a tune at the same time but will probably hold off.
Appreciate 1
GGreek590.50
      12-20-2019, 11:23 PM   #11
NikNala
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5M

Anyone mind doing a before and after log using BM3 and the same map. This will show if it's moving more air when verified with STFT, LTFT, AFR, Target Boost, Actual Boost and Wastegate Duty cycle. My only concern is a clean MAF signal and the same exact intake diameter. I'm definitely interested if for nothing else a little more turbo intake noise.
KFF_X5M44.00
      12-21-2019, 07:50 AM   #12
smashe
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 competition 2016 x5 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGreek5 View Post
I have one available if anyone is interested. Used for a couple days only. pm me. Sound is amazing and can definitely tell a difference.
Pmed
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2019, 09:03 AM   #13
KCTiger
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGreek5 View Post
Pmed
I just bought his yesterday but they are 630 shipped on AFE's website.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2019, 03:39 PM   #14
smashe
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 competition 2016 x5 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCTiger View Post
I just bought his yesterday but they are 630 shipped on AFE's website.
what did he let it go for?
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 12:15 AM   #15
Ehloo
Captain
Rep

Just get added to AFE newsletter. They will notify you of their random sales.
The blackfriday was the cheapest and July 4 was close.
Either way you can get the intake for somewhere in the 600 range

Have about a couple hundreds of miles on the intake. Overall impressed with the intake especially for the price

Very comparable to the Dinan with more noise.

I switched out from RK front mount as I will be using the X5m more for utility now and using my new m8 for modding and shenanigans. Was also somewhat concerned of weather. The AFE is the middle ground of sound and performance compared to the Dinan and RK

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 01:28 PM   #16
KCTiger
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyX5M View Post
I am getting my AFE tomorrow. Will be replacing the Dinan filters...Will try to take some pictures.

When all is done will let you know guys my opinion.
Did you get this installed yet by chance?
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2019, 08:01 PM   #17
Blewx5m
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 x5m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehloo View Post
Just get added to AFE newsletter. They will notify you of their random sales.
The blackfriday was the cheapest and July 4 was close.
Either way you can get the intake for somewhere in the 600 range

Have about a couple hundreds of miles on the intake. Overall impressed with the intake especially for the price

Very comparable to the Dinan with more noise.

I switched out from RK front mount as I will be using the X5m more for utility now and using my new m8 for modding and shenanigans. Was also somewhat concerned of weather. The AFE is the middle ground of sound and performance compared to the Dinan and RK

Quote:
They are great... I got mine the pro 5r for 660 with an extra set of filters
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2019, 11:59 PM   #18
Ehloo
Captain
Rep

Pics added. Not much too see that you haven’t seen on their website. The last pic is suppose to be the front grill and the opening of direct airflow today the box. It runs the whole length of the air box and provides plenty of forced cool air. Hard to take a good pic. But it answers everyone’s questions about ram
Fresh air

That air will escape with the holes in the box but if you are at speed fresh air will always be around your filters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blewx5m View Post
They are great... I got mine the pro 5r for 660 with an extra set of filters
Appreciate 1
Blewx5m128.00
      01-04-2020, 11:31 PM   #19
PhillyX5M
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015X5M

I added some pictures to my previous response.

Also if you look closer behind the grills you can see AFE kind of like a scoop/lip.
It should definitely provide allot more of cold air at speed. I think definitely better
compared to Dinan. You can see blue filters sitting inside.

One concern is about heavy rain at speed. Hopefully it wont be possible to get any water penetration inside that lip and into the filters...
Attached Images

Last edited by PhillyX5M; 01-06-2020 at 07:27 PM..
Appreciate 3
Blewx5m128.00
GotV8?1050.50
      01-07-2020, 05:02 PM   #20
KCTiger
Captain
Rep

Just had this installed. Sound is a little better. Can't really speak to power as I had this installed at the same time I had BM3 Stage 1 installed. Those two, combined with the improvement to transmission due to a flush and fill, make this feel like a completely different animal.

For what it's worth, the guy at the shop I took this to has a RS7 with a stage 2 tune. He drove my ride a bit and was very impressed. Sure he was catering to his customer a bit but I could tell he really enjoyed driving it.

Now I just got to save up a bit for some coil overs...
Appreciate 2
      01-07-2020, 06:19 PM   #21
Kraftwerk AG
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Mein F Fünfundachtzig Einhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCTiger View Post
Just had this installed. Sound is a little better. Can't really speak to power as I had this installed at the same time I had BM3 Stage 1 installed. Those two, combined with the improvement to transmission due to a flush and fill, make this feel like a completely different animal.

For what it's worth, the guy at the shop I took this to has a RS7 with a stage 2 tune. He drove my ride a bit and was very impressed. Sure he was catering to his customer a bit but I could tell he really enjoyed driving it.

Now I just got to save up a bit for some coil overs...
Happy to hear you've installed these 2 mods. You'll be glad you did. Now go enjoy in good health!
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 01:00 PM   #22
KCTiger
Captain
Rep

I reached out to AFE but anyone have issues with the CEL coming on after this install? I am throwing the codes in the attached pic. The shop that did this said one side didn't fit together real well but that is the only thing that seemed a little off.

Thoughts?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0