BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-08-2020, 06:56 PM   #23
GGreek5
Olimpiakos
Greece
Rep
Drives: M3

Hey man. Just pm'ed you. Make sure that the sensors are seated correctly. Unscrew both screws and screw each one in a little at a time until seated perfectly. Don't screw one screw in all the way and then the other all the way. If that makes sense.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 06:58 PM   #24
KCTiger
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGreek5 View Post
Hey man. Just pm'ed you. Make sure that the sensors are seated correctly. Unscrew both screws and screw each one in a little at a time until seated perfectly. Don't screw one screw in all the way and then the other all the way. If that makes sense.
I will be headed back to the shop that installed it and will give them that advice. Thanks!

I emailed AFE and they said:

"OBD-II Code P0120 is defined as a Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/Switch "A" Circuit Malfunction The Throttle Position Sensor/Switch is located on the Throttle Body of the Intake Manifold and the Pedal Position Sensor/Switch is part of the Accelerator Pedal assembly
i cannot seem to find anything on P20E engine code."
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 08:00 AM   #25
PhillyX5M
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015X5M

I had mine for a few days and no codes so far.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 08:24 AM   #26
PhillyX5M
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyX5M View Post
LOL...spoke too soon

2 days later Check Engine Nightmare appeared. Same Code.
After some online digging and my mechanic ideas I switched both MAF sensors from one side to another.
Also, new filters r covered in thin layer of oil from manufacturer so possible sensor contamination. Used electric contacts cleaner to clean both. Make sure that rubber o rings r seated properly. Reassemble.

2 days of driving no check engine.

Will keep an eye on it and update later.

On a positive note the sound of turbos spooling is addictive
Appreciate 2
F85MTuNED1620.50
KFF_X5M44.00
      01-12-2020, 09:53 AM   #27
KCTiger
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
LOL...spoke too soon

2 days later Check Engine Nightmare appeared. Same Code.
After some online digging and my mechanic ideas I switched both MAF sensors from one side to another.
Also, new filters r covered in thin layer of oil from manufacturer so possible sensor contamination. Used electric contacts cleaner to clean both. Make sure that rubber o rings r seated properly. Reassemble.

2 days of driving no check engine.

Will keep an eye on it and update later.

On a positive note the sound of turbos spooling is addictive
Thanks Philly! Would you have any concerns about driving for a week or so before getting this fixed? I can't make it into shop until 1/20.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 04:26 PM   #28
JohnG123
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X6M

Sorry to hear of these issues.
Think I will cancel my order here over in the UK.

I have had no issues in 25,000 miles with the Dinan intake.

Hope you get it sorted.
Appreciate 2
      01-12-2020, 05:04 PM   #29
KCTiger
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG123 View Post

Hope you get it sorted.
Thanks for posting JohnG. I actually sent that to AFE to let them know people are hearing about this issue and going elsewhere.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 07:07 PM   #30
PhillyX5M
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCTiger View Post
Thanks for posting JohnG. I actually sent that to AFE to let them know people are hearing about this issue and going elsewhere.
I will probably do the same.

I think this is a MAF sensors issue. Due to larger and open filters I think they cannot regulate correctly but maybe I am mistaken.
Dont see any issue driving with the CEL for some time. Not a major issue.
Car still drives and goes fast without any hiccups.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 01:29 PM   #31
F85MTuNED
IG: @88jae88
Rep
Drives: ///Ⓜ️

Not good to read that you guys are having issues I was actually thinking about getting this but now I'm on the fence.
      01-14-2020, 09:44 AM   #32
Shuja_a
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M Competition

Garage List
Quote:

Hope you get it sorted.
Quote:

Hope you get it sorted.

Ah this is disappointing to read I'm on the fence to get a intake and thsi was my first option 😔😔
Appreciate 1
F85MTuNED1620.50
      01-14-2020, 02:08 PM   #33
PhillyX5M
Lieutenant
Rep

Submitted a ticket with AFE technical support. Let's see what they will propose.
Will update later.
Appreciate 1
F85MTuNED1620.50
      01-14-2020, 10:21 PM   #34
Blewx5m
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 x5m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehloo View Post
AFE has a Black Friday special and couldn’t help myself. I have owned pretty much every filter on the market- Dinan, RK Front Mount and now this. The AFE when released intrigued me with the new box design, smooth pipe design and larger filters. But the pictures online were bad and didn’t seem that anybody actually tried it. A lot of people questioned of there was a opening in the front to allow fresh air from the radiator to channel in. Was hard to see in the pics.

Packaging- not much To say here but product cameun-damaged and everything labeled with instructions. I have installed and uninstalled various Intakes several times so it only took me 15 mins to install it.

Quality- intake is high quality and comes with a new abs
Plastic box. Sturdy and should hold up over time. I ended up with the dry filters instead of the wet oil filters that actually flow better. They were back ordered on the wet ones and didn’t tell anyone till 2
Weeks later. Didn’t want to wait any longer so changed to dry.
Dry does not require re-oil after wash. The intake tubes have a smooth transition from filter outlet. This smooth transition is essential in better flow. Pretty much a velocity stack

Performance- only a couple of miles but I can say acceleration over stock is night and day. Gas pedal feels very sensitive now. It’s a semi opened I take even though it has a new box. It has vents directly on top of the filters and another vent on the rear of the box. Everyone was concerned that it would draw hot air in and most likely would but with the opening in the front by the radiator that would constantly provide fresh cool air. The vents and opening were most likely for acoustics. I can hear the intake from in the car. Not as much as my RK but is a good alternative. The RK has been awesome but it has been raining abnormally more in NorCal and although everyone says the front mount is on in the rain I didn’t want to take the chance. You can hear much more than the dinan. I can say it makes power. Not sure how much but for the price it’s a good deal.
Cheapest Intake on the markets. The filters used are much larger that Oem and have like 50 percent more surface area.

AFE started making filters and still their bread and butter. They have years of experience and like that

No pics of the install. FedEx came much later than expected and slapped it on before heading out to dinner.

I’ll will post some pics over the weekend
Hey ehloo are you having issues with your unit?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 11:20 AM   #35
PhillyX5M
Lieutenant
Rep

Here is the response from AFE support today regarding my CEL

Hi Roman.....this is what we have found for this issue...

This shouldn't be a problem. the ECU, vehicle's computer, is getting an input from the engine sensors that there is more air going by it that it is programmed for. The ECU sees this and thinks that there is a problem with the vehicle, so it turns on the Check Engine Light. When that comes on, we are expected to take the vehicle to the dealer to get the problem repaired. So, there should not be any drivability issues with your vehicle. What needs to happen is for the ECU to "Learn" about the intake kit. Once the ECU realizes that nothing bad is happening to the engine, because it is constantly monitoring all the sensors, it will turn the CEL off on its own. What I would like for you to is drive the vehicle for approx. 2 weeks and let’s see if the ECU has been educated on the intake kit. Nothing will happen to your vehicle because all you are introducing is more air into the engine. It should turn off the CEL after "X" amount of key starts and "X" number of miles driven. So do not reset the CEL, if you do, it will start the learning process all over again.
Appreciate 1
      01-15-2020, 03:05 PM   #36
Blewx5m
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 x5m

Quote:

This shouldn't be a problem. the ECU, vehicle's computer, is getting an input from the engine sensors that there is more air going by it that it is programmed for. The ECU sees this and thinks that there is a problem with the vehicle, so it turns on the Check Engine Light. When that comes on, we are expected to take the vehicle to the dealer to get the problem repaired. So, there should not be any drivability issues with your vehicle. What needs to happen is for the ECU to "Learn" about the intake kit. Once the ECU realizes that nothing bad is happening to the engine, because it is constantly monitoring all the sensors, it will turn the CEL off on its own. What I would like for you to is drive the vehicle for approx. 2 weeks and let’s see if the ECU has been educated on the intake kit. Nothing will happen to your vehicle because all you are introducing is more air into the engine. It should turn off the CEL after "X" amount of key starts and "X" number of miles driven. So do not reset the CEL, if you do, it will start the learning process all over again.
Thank you for the information... Keep us posted!
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 05:13 PM   #37
DKNewYork
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07' M5, 17' X5M

Quote:

Hmmm. I'm not sure about that response. I bought a RK Autowerks Intake. No issues with it at all. No CEL and didn't have to drive it for 2 weeks for the ECU to learn. I've driven over 700 miles already.

Off topic. I've also driven it 2 1/2 hrs in the rain and no issues. Since then I've put on a filter sock just for extra precaution.
      01-15-2020, 05:36 PM   #38
F85MTuNED
Rep

Quote:

Sooooooo basically get a tune? Because all my years of doing this car shit on plenty of platforms I've never heard a company say "nah it's ok just drive like this for "X" amount of weeks...

Now although they do make very valid points and I truly believe nothing will go wrong we have to remember these cars aren't cheap to own nor fix so I wouldn't take any chances.

Idk about you guys but I with paying premium prices for a premium vehicle there's certain things I expect even when it comes to modding... I'm not rolling around in my car with a CEL on like I'm still back in my Maxima days which was very long ago...😂
      01-15-2020, 06:18 PM   #39
PhillyX5M
Lieutenant
Rep

All valid points.

I will be a guinea pig and will give this thing a chance. This way others and I will know if we should consider it or just avoid this product completely.
Appreciate 1
F85MTuNED1620.50
      01-15-2020, 07:00 PM   #40
1badttx5m
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW m4 x5m

I have had the intake and put over 1K miles on it with no issues.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 09:31 PM   #41
PhillyX5M
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieA View Post
I have had the intake and put over 1K miles on it with no issues.
You are talking about the same AFE intake? Not a single CEL from the install day?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 10:51 PM   #42
F85MTuNED
Rep

Quote:
All valid points.

I will be a guinea pig and will give this thing a chance. This way others and I will know if we should consider it or just avoid this product completely.
Tbh I would still get one but I will just get a tune @ the same time to avoid the CEL cause it's just annoying looking at anything lit up that's not suppose to be on your dash.

Side note you better tell them to give you some cash back for your intake because your out here making guys believers lol
      01-16-2020, 12:16 AM   #43
Ehloo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 15 x5 m

No issues at all. Prob had it longer than anybody else but I do know the reason why j am not and everyone is

I ended changing my order to have the dry filters as the pro wet filters were on backorder and didn’t want to wait any longer

So it has to do with the pro wet filters the system comes with

My filters are white

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blewx5m View Post
Hey ehloo are you having issues with your unit?
Appreciate 3
      01-16-2020, 12:26 AM   #44
Kraftwerk AG
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Mein F Fünfundachtzig Einhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehloo View Post
No issues at all. Prob had it longer than anybody else but I do know the reason why j am not and everyone is

I ended changing my order to have the dry filters as the pro wet filters were on backorder and didn’t want to wait any longer

So it has to do with the pro wet filters the system comes with

My filters are white
Ehloo, you are spot on! I remember the AMG guys used to have a similar problem with the AFE wet filters contaminating the MAF sensors, thus causing the CEL to come on.
Appreciate 0