BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-10-2020, 06:29 AM   #1
jab23
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5M

New Owner 2017 X5M

After buying a new, 2019 RS5 Sportback last September, I decided a few months ago that I wanted to get back into an SUV. Prior to the RS5 I had a 2014 Cayenne GTS which I owned for 5 years. Loved it and regret letting it go. It took some time for me to sell the RS5, but it's on it's way to a good home on the opposite coast. I started looking for my next car while that sales process was going on. I've alway been a fan of the X5M and thought I might buy an E70. I had a unicorn 4.6is years ago, and always thought an M would be in my future. I decided I didn't want to get something quite so old and lacking technology that I've become accustomed to. That's when the F85 came onto my radar and the hunt was on. I found a couple of local, certified cars and drove them both a couple of times. One Silverstone/Black w/black 21s and one DG with Aragon Brown. Loved them both, but was surprised at how much I liked the Aragon Brown. It's bold for me, but feels so rich. Thought my wife would hate it, but she loved it too. I decided to buy the local DG and put a deposit on it. Long story, but I ended up passing on that one. Now on the hunt for a DG/AB car country wide, every one I called on had just been sold. I suffer from sever FOMO, coupled with indecision. It's a struggle. I found a non-certified 2017 at a dealer in TN and started a conversation. The communication was good and I had pictures and videos. Bought and serviced there, one owner, good Carfax. After some back and forth, I pulled the trigger.

The long wait of getting all of the paper work completed, work done on the car that I requested as part of my deal, and arranging shipping was agonizing. It all came together and the car was delivered on Thursday. It was love at first site, but my enthusiasm was hampered by a couple of significant issues I'm trying to work through with the dealer. I'm super anal about cars and my last few have been brand new, so any pre owned car was going to have some issues that bothered me. I'm slowly reigning in my expectations.

This is my happy post though, so I'll put that aside for now. This thing INCREDIBLE. It's a late 2017, 35k miles, with 1 full year left on the factory warranty. I think it has just about every option. Overall, it's in really great shape inside and out. I have lots of little projects I'll do over the next few weeks to bring it up to my picky standards, but they are all things I enjoy doing. I haven't driven it a ton yet, but wow, this thing is a beast. It's incredibly solid, the drive modes are infinite, the technology exceeds my Audi in some ways (wireless CarPlay, touch screen), the full leather is so impressive, and it just "feels" like quality. Oh, the B&O sounds amazing! I'm loving it.

I went on a buying spree before the car arrived so I have the black grilles, black side vents, BMW rubber mats, 611m winter set up (on the way), front plate bracket (boo MA), black exhaust tip covers (on the way from Australia!), and M logo puddle lights. Thanks to all of the members who made buying many of these things so easy. This forum has been amazing already and I'm happy to be part of the community.

Anyway, that was about three paragraphs more than I intended to type, but had some time to kill after waking up way too early! Here are a couple of exterior shots post first wash. I went to town on the exhaust tips and actually got them looking pretty good (outsides were black and I thought coroded). I'm testing cleaning the leather with Leatherique which I have never used. Interior looks good, but has some shiny spots in places from 3 years of use. Will post my reults as I go.

Cliff notes: I bought a 2017 X5M and I'm loving it!

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

Last edited by jab23; 10-10-2020 at 06:39 AM..
Appreciate 2
      10-10-2020, 07:17 AM   #2
skillets
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 alpine white e92 M3

Congrats! May I ask the purchase price?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2020, 07:46 AM   #3
jab23
First Lieutenant
Rep

60 even. Was willing to pay 65 - 67 for a certified car based on my research. I think yours is priced more than fairly.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2020, 07:54 AM   #4
jab23
First Lieutenant
Rep

So, didn't necessarily think my interior was all that dirty, but I knew I wanted to get some of the shine out of the leather in the wear areas. Turns out its dirtier than I thought! After researching a bunch of products, I decided on Leatherique. It came yesterday and instant gratification me decided to do half of the split center console cover as an experiment. Put the rejuvinator oil on yesterday at about 2pm. Let it soak overnight. It's not paticularly warm here right now (today being the exception) so I couldn't really get the recommended heat build up inside the car, but it doesn't seem to have mattered in my case. All I can say is, wow!!

View post on imgur.com

Can't wait to do the entire interior. Just agonizing over not driving the car once I slather the oil everwhere. Hoping it especially makes a dent in the shiny steering wheel.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2020, 08:44 AM   #5
Saleeb86
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X5 M (F85)

Congrats on the purchase! I bought the 2017 F85 about a month and a half ago (DG/Black) and I share your sentiment. It's going to be hard driving any other car in the future that isn't an M. Welcome to the community!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-10-2020, 01:48 PM   #6
rajindergill
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (F85), 328i (F30)

Garage List
Did the leather treatment make the leather look matt again rather than shiny? did the leather treatment go on the right hand side of the pic? If, so then I need to buy some for part of the drivers seat where it is going shiny on my F85.

PS - congrats and like the colour combo.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2020, 02:46 PM   #7
jab23
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleeb86 View Post
Congrats on the purchase! I bought the 2017 F85 about a month and a half ago (DG/Black) and I share your sentiment. It's going to be hard driving any other car in the future that isn't an M. Welcome to the community!
Thanks! Was following your exhaust adventure. Obviously love your M!
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2020, 03:00 PM   #8
jab23
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajindergill View Post
Did the leather treatment make the leather look matt again rather than shiny? did the leather treatment go on the right hand side of the pic? If, so then I need to buy some for part of the drivers seat where it is going shiny on my F85.

PS - congrats and like the colour combo.
Yup. Right side. Took all of the shine right out of it and it legitimately looks new. Not affiliated in any way, but one video that was super helpful and sold me on Leatherique was how to use it by Esoteric car care. I have the rear door panels and rear seats marinating in the oil right now. Tomorrow I'll hit it with the Prestine clean. Looking forward to seeing the results. Can't wait to do the front, but wanted to drive the car today.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2020, 06:41 PM   #9
CaboM4
BMW Aficionado
Rep
Drives: 23 i7,23 iX,24 Silverado

I miss my F85 ... probably the best BMW I've owned to-date. Congrats ... Donnington is a great color (personal bias). I wanted a red interior ... but second choice was the aragon. Enjoy it in good health
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2020, 08:15 AM   #10
Klienfeld303
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 x5 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by jab23 View Post
After buying a new, 2019 RS5 Sportback last September, I decided a few months ago that I wanted to get back into an SUV. Prior to the RS5 I had a 2014 Cayenne GTS which I owned for 5 years. Loved it and regret letting it go. It took some time for me to sell the RS5, but it's on it's way to a good home on the opposite coast. I started looking for my next car while that sales process was going on. I've alway been a fan of the X5M and thought I might buy an E70. I had a unicorn 4.6is years ago, and always thought an M would be in my future. I decided I didn't want to get something quite so old and lacking technology that I've become accustomed to. That's when the F85 came onto my radar and the hunt was on. I found a couple of local, certified cars and drove them both a couple of times. One Silverstone/Black w/black 21s and one DG with Aragon Brown. Loved them both, but was surprised at how much I liked the Aragon Brown. It's bold for me, but feels so rich. Thought my wife would hate it, but she loved it too. I decided to buy the local DG and put a deposit on it. Long story, but I ended up passing on that one. Now on the hunt for a DG/AB car country wide, every one I called on had just been sold. I suffer from sever FOMO, coupled with indecision. It's a struggle. I found a non-certified 2017 at a dealer in TN and started a conversation. The communication was good and I had pictures and videos. Bought and serviced there, one owner, good Carfax. After some back and forth, I pulled the trigger.

The long wait of getting all of the paper work completed, work done on the car that I requested as part of my deal, and arranging shipping was agonizing. It all came together and the car was delivered on Thursday. It was love at first site, but my enthusiasm was hampered by a couple of significant issues I'm trying to work through with the dealer. I'm super anal about cars and my last few have been brand new, so any pre owned car was going to have some issues that bothered me. I'm slowly reigning in my expectations.

This is my happy post though, so I'll put that aside for now. This thing INCREDIBLE. It's a late 2017, 35k miles, with 1 full year left on the factory warranty. I think it has just about every option. Overall, it's in really great shape inside and out. I have lots of little projects I'll do over the next few weeks to bring it up to my picky standards, but they are all things I enjoy doing. I haven't driven it a ton yet, but wow, this thing is a beast. It's incredibly solid, the drive modes are infinite, the technology exceeds my Audi in some ways (wireless CarPlay, touch screen), the full leather is so impressive, and it just "feels" like quality. Oh, the B&O sounds amazing! I'm loving it.

I went on a buying spree before the car arrived so I have the black grilles, black side vents, BMW rubber mats, 611m winter set up (on the way), front plate bracket (boo MA), black exhaust tip covers (on the way from Australia!), and M logo puddle lights. Thanks to all of the members who made buying many of these things so easy. This forum has been amazing already and I'm happy to be part of the community.

Anyway, that was about three paragraphs more than I intended to type, but had some time to kill after waking up way too early! Here are a couple of exterior shots post first wash. I went to town on the exhaust tips and actually got them looking pretty good (outsides were black and I thought coroded). I'm testing cleaning the leather with Leatherique which I have never used. Interior looks good, but has some shiny spots in places from 3 years of use. Will post my reults as I go.

Cliff notes: I bought a 2017 X5M and I'm loving it!

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com
Congrats man! I just got a 2018. Great freaking car.
      10-12-2020, 11:41 AM   #11
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

I think I know which exhaust tips you're referring to since you mentioned it came from Australia. I just picked some up also.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 02:25 PM   #12
640ijims
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5M , 14%E2%80%99640i ver

Garage List
2018 X5///M  [7.50]
2018 BMW  [0.00]
How about link on exhaust tips?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 03:08 PM   #13
jab23
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1 View Post
I think I know which exhaust tips you're referring to since you mentioned it came from Australia. I just picked some up also.
Did you get yours yet? Curious on fit. Guess one of us will be the guinee pig. Hoping they are the exact ones Berger used to sell.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 03:33 PM   #14
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Did you get yours yet? Curious on fit. Guess one of us will be the guinee pig. Hoping they are the exact ones Berger used to sell.
I did. Took a while to get them though. But very happy with them.

Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 03:51 PM   #15
jab23
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 640ijims View Post
How about link on exhaust tips?
https://modeautoconcepts.com/product...nt=42717579910
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 03:52 PM   #16
jab23
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1 View Post
Quote:
I did. Took a while to get them though. But very happy with them.

[img]
View post on imgur.com
[/img]
Ah. Gotcha. I thought you were putting them on an X5M. Glad they fit for you though and sweet car!
Appreciate 1
P111554.00
      10-13-2020, 06:10 PM   #17
OJCSO
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M

Beautiful, congrats! Just picked up a 17 CPO alpine white/aragon a few weeks back. Love this thing. Enjoy!
Appreciate 1
jab23223.50
      10-16-2020, 12:20 PM   #18
EdVzz6
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i Msport

Man! Congrats!

I'm looking at buying the same spec, color combo. Out of state as well.

Any pointers or anything I should be on the lookout as far as shipping, vehicle inspections, etc? This would be my first out of state purchase, any advice is much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 01:03 PM   #19
jab23
First Lieutenant
Rep

The buying out of state is tough. Ultimately, I think I got a solid car and a good deal, but had I seen the car in person first, I may have passed on it. Mind you I'm a perfectionist coming out of multiple brand new cars so any used car was going to be a challenge for me. It was definitely cared for, but well used by the original owner. Evidence of kids (some scratching on seat backs, a ding in the piano black dash trim), plenty of small rock chips on the exterior and some minor curb rash on two wheels. I had the latter repaired by the dealer prior to delivery, but the job done was sub par.

I had a fair amount of communication with the sales person and she sent multiple videos and pointed out a couple of rock chips in the front of the car, but that was about it. I saw the minor curb damage on the rims in the videos and had to call it out. All in all though, and I have found this with most, it looked great in pictures and on video, but it's a different story in person. Again, my car is actually really nice, just not as nice as it was portrayed relative to my standards. This holds true for all 4 local ones I looked at.

Biggest things that went unoticed were a chunk out of the sidewall of one of the front tires (dealer is reimbursing me) and water damage to the leather on the bottom of the passenger front door. The water damage made me nervous, but it seems localized. It wasn't disclosed in the sales process, but in all honesty, it could have been missed. I'll be taking it into a local dealer to look at, but the selling dealer has pretty much said they won't do anything about. New door panel is $2600 so I didn't figure they would. You can't see it at all when the door is closed and the rest of the leather in the car is near perfect now after some serious hours and Leatherique (will be a separate thread).

Anyway, this is all a long winded way of me saying ask a lot of questions and get a lot of pictures of specific areas. Get the service history (not just what's listed on Carfax), look out for red flags like repeated services for the same thing (battery), mismatched tires, etc.. Biggest piece of advice...get a PPI done!. That's my only regret so far. They may not have caught the things I'm complaining about, but I'd feel better about the purchase overall.

And if you're looking at a Donnington/Aragon in Boston, PM me so I can be sure it's not the one I passed on and share why.

Oh, and I lucked into a good shipping experience. Auto transport is weird with brokers and bidding and random timelines. The guy who bought my RS5 was in WA and I ended up using the same company he did. I think they do most of their work here in the east, but my buyer knew the shipper so he did the cross country for him. Both of our cars made it safely to their respective homes. I can share that contact info with you as well if you need it.

Last edited by jab23; 10-16-2020 at 01:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 02:06 PM   #20
EdVzz6
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i Msport

Quote:
The buying out of state is tough. Ultimately, I think I got a solid car and a good deal, but had I seen the car in person first, I may have passed on it. Mind you I'm a perfectionist coming out of multiple brand new cars so any used car was going to be a challenge for me. It was definitely cared for, but well used by the original owner. Evidence of kids (some scratching on seat backs, a ding in the piano black dash trim), plenty of small rock chips on the exterior and some minor curb rash on two wheels. I had the latter repaired by the dealer prior to delivery, but the job done was sub par.

I had a fair amount of communication with the sales person and she sent multiple videos and pointed out a couple of rock chips in the front of the car, but that was about it. I saw the minor curb damage on the rims in the videos and had to call it out. All in all though, and I have found this with most, it looked great in pictures and on video, but it's a different story in person. Again, my car is actually really nice, just not as nice as it was portrayed relative to my standards. This holds true for all 4 local ones I looked at.

Biggest things that went unoticed were a chunk out of the sidewall of one of the front tires (dealer is reimbursing me) and water damage to the leather on the bottom of the passenger front door. The water damage made me nervous, but it seems localized. It wasn't disclosed in the sales process, but in all honesty, it could have been missed. I'll be taking it into a local dealer to look at, but the selling dealer has pretty much said they won't do anything about. New door panel is $2600 so I didn't figure they would. You can't see it at all when the door is closed and the rest of the leather in the car is near perfect now after some serious hours and Leatherique (will be a separate thread).

Anyway, this is all a long winded way of me saying ask a lot of questions and get a lot of pictures of specific areas. Get the service history (not just what's listed on Carfax), look out for red flags like repeated services for the same thing (battery), mismatched tires, etc.. Biggest piece of advice...get a PPI done!. That's my only regret so far. They may not have caught the things I'm complaining about, but I'd feel better about the purchase overall.

And if you're looking at a Donnington/Aragon in Boston, PM me so I can be sure it's not the one I passed on and share why.

Oh, and I lucked into a good shipping experience. Auto transport is weird with brokers and bidding and random timelines. The guy who bought my RS5 was in WA and I ended up using the same company he did. I think they do most of their work here in the east, but my buyer knew the shipper so he did the cross country for him. Both of our cars made it safely to their respective homes. I can share that contact info with you as well if you need it.
Thank you so much for your insight. I'll be sure to ask for Maintance records. Enjoy your new ride!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 04:00 PM   #21
KCTiger
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

Definitely do the PPI. That is my only regret, even though I am happy with my purchase 1.5 years in.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 08:34 PM   #22
OJCSO
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M

Quote:

Was this at Herb Chambers by chance?
Appreciate 0