BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-10-2020, 09:55 PM   #1
DJ1007
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 Msport + MPPK

2018 F15 vs 2019 G05

Does anybody else prefer the older F15 to the new G05? I had a brand new G05 for a couple of days while my F15 was getting a new steering wheel and MPPK and I thought for one thing the new x5 driver’s seat sits higher. I couldn’t get the seat low enough. I thought the car is quicker for sure but felt the whole car seemed more like the MB G class with the cushier suspension and steering.

Don’t think the G05 is bad at all so apologies if you love yours, it is just different to me.

Does anyone else like the F15 better.
Appreciate 2
-c-890.00
      01-10-2020, 11:29 PM   #2
Hellrot
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ1007 View Post
Does anybody else prefer the older F15 to the new G05? I had a brand new G05 for a couple of days while my F15 was getting a new steering wheel and MPPK and I thought for one thing the new x5 driver’s seat sits higher. I couldn’t get the seat low enough. I thought the car is quicker for sure but felt the whole car seemed more like the MB G class with the cushier suspension and steering.

Don’t think the G05 is bad at all so apologies if you love yours, it is just different to me.

I had the exact same experience... couldn't wait to get my F15 back.

The cabin also felt smaller, I checked a couple times because I kept thinking I was in an X3.
Appreciate 1
DJ100715.00
      01-10-2020, 11:31 PM   #3
Hellrot
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16 M235i

The only thing I envy is that both upper and lower gates are powered, that's awesome.

However I gag every time I see the fake side vents.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 06:04 AM   #4
The Libertine
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Porsche Macan

I sure do. Went with the F15 because I did not like the exterior design, nor the fact it seemed to do away with some features uniquely BMW. Not saying the G05 is bad, rather that the F15 is a better choice for me.
Appreciate 1
Hellrot240.50
      01-11-2020, 09:03 AM   #5
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
F15 looks much more elegant. g05 has 2 lobes of prostate stuck to its face (grille). i just don't like the shape of it (no issues with size of grille). I do like the X7s grille. I will be replacing my f15 with a X7 when the time comes.
Appreciate 1
mrfochon211.00
      01-11-2020, 09:13 AM   #6
Violator
Living the dream
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 w/MPPK, MPE & RC GTS Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ1007 View Post

I love the F15 and dislike the G05. Go F15 if you have the opportunity.
      01-11-2020, 11:34 AM   #7
ems328i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 35i (F15) '14 M135i (F21)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Libertine View Post
I sure do. Went with the F15 because I did not like the exterior design, nor the fact it seemed to do away with some features uniquely BMW. Not saying the G05 is bad, rather that the F15 is a better choice for me.
I haven't had a chance to drive a G05 yet, what are the BMW features that they have done away with? I understand it's based on the current 7 series chassis, so I'm guessing less sporty feel than our F15's?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 01:49 PM   #8
The Libertine
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ems328i View Post
I haven't had a chance to drive a G05 yet, what are the BMW features that they have done away with? I understand it's based on the current 7 series chassis, so I'm guessing less sporty feel than our F15's?
Well, for one, the (red/blue) dial to make adjustments to the air coming from the vents. I understand that if you want to make a similar adjustment will need to navigate through the iDrive. BOO! Yes, I know some may think I’m silly, but it is little details like this one that BMW is slowly removing. The G05 interior, while admittedly more upscale is sadly less traditional BMW design.

Regarding the handling, some say that the G05 is a step up from the F15. Personally, I think the F15 handles very well for a vehicle it’s size.

A lot of this is subjective. I get it. But like any enthusiast, in the back of my mind am always thinking “what’s next”. As much as I love my F15, the reality is that I’m not going to keep it forever, and the time will come when I move onto something new. As much as I try to like it, just can’t seem to warm up to the G05 in considering for my next car. Truth be told: I’m liking the new X4 a helluva lot more than the current X5.
Appreciate 2
ems328i180.00
Vivek.1367.50
      01-11-2020, 03:05 PM   #9
ems328i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 35i (F15) '14 M135i (F21)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Libertine View Post
Well, for one, the (red/blue) dial to make adjustments to the air coming from the vents. I understand that if you want to make a similar adjustment will need to navigate through the iDrive. BOO! Yes, I know some may think I’m silly, but it is little details like this one that BMW is slowly removing. The G05 interior, while admittedly more upscale is sadly less traditional BMW design.

Regarding the handling, some say that the G05 is a step up from the F15. Personally, I think the F15 handles very well for a vehicle it’s size.

A lot of this is subjective. I get it. But like any enthusiast, in the back of my mind am always thinking “what’s next”. As much as I love my F15, the reality is that I’m not going to keep it forever, and the time will come when I move onto something new. As much as I try to like it, just can’t seem to warm up to the G05 in considering for my next car. Truth be told: I’m liking the new X4 a helluva lot more than the current X5.
Thanks, this confirms my suspicions - and regarding the red/blue dial delete, that was the very first thing I said to my wife when I saw the interior pics on release
I'm also not a fan of the rev counter running 'backwards' - seeing as how it's a full lcd screen I would hope that you could have the option of switching to the more traditional layout, especially if you have the HUD, why would you need the space to display the nav between the dials at the same time?
Maybe the inevitable mid-life facelift/update could address some of that but still, an opportunity missed. And don't get me started on the new grill
Appreciate 2
Vivek.1367.50
      01-11-2020, 03:06 PM   #10
hufington
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 m50i

Garage List
I had the chance to get an F15 or a G05 when I was on the market but chose the F15 as I think the vehicle looks and drives better and more "BMW-like". And I really hate the new gauges.

Last edited by hufington; 01-13-2020 at 09:45 PM..
Appreciate 2
      01-11-2020, 03:07 PM   #11
The Libertine
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, this confirms my suspicions - and regarding the red/blue dial delete, that was the very first thing I said to my wife when I saw the interior pics on release
I'm also not a fan of the rev counter running 'backwards' - seeing as how it's a full lcd screen I would hope that you could have the option of switching to the more traditional layout, especially if you have the HUD, why would you need the space to display the nav between the dials at the same time?
Maybe the inevitable mid-life facelift/update could address some of that but still, an opportunity missed. And don't get me started on the new grill
Agree with you 110% my friend.
Appreciate 2
ems328i180.00
DJ100715.00
      01-11-2020, 06:18 PM   #12
kanvas
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: V8

Tried the G05 when I got one as a loaner. I definitely appreciate the simplicity of the cabin electronics of the F15. The G05 has too much going on, and not a fan of digital tach/dashboard.
DJ100715.00
      01-11-2020, 06:42 PM   #13
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Yep right their with you. Had one for a month while mine was getting a new engine and have to say I'm sticking with the f15.

Not every re-design is necessarily better. Kind of like minis lately are so over designed they lost their way and the first gen and maybe 2nd is best looks wise and sure technology got better and maybe quality but based purely on looks they take the cake. But that's only my opinion.

Same for the f15 and f16 and f85 and f86. The new replacements are getting over designed and just strange. Maybe for the Chinese market not sure but the new ones lack a certain refinement.

The interior I felt wasn't an upgrade I know others do but the doors feel cheap. The nice piece of aluminum or wood is now a small part that doesn't feel significant.

The dash slopes downward to much witch makes you feel like your sitting higher in the cabin. The exterior side lines are two low and it lacks athleticism that the e70 and F15 have.

Sure they are more advanced and have more bells and whistles but the f15 is more timeless looking with the right options trims and colors.

Again just my opinion.

It's like when apple released two iPhones at the same time. Their both great phones one had more bells and whistles but at a cost. and the f15 is still relevant but holds its own against the new replacement.

Also the rear ! Oh that rear of the F15 and f85 is sooooo much better and bmw. The new one ehhhh it feels two high and not as planted.

Again just my opinion. Hey first world problems and luckily we have options.
Appreciate 2
      01-11-2020, 06:49 PM   #14
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92n52 & f15n57

To me G05 has much better seating position. I am tall, so I do appreciate higher seat. IMO, interior of G05 is much better than F15. Some things are gimmicky and too much thou. I just wish they sold it with a diesel engine in US. If diesel was still offered, I would trade in mine in a heartbeat.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 06:51 PM   #15
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92n52 & f15n57

Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post
Yep right their with you. Had one for a month while mine was getting a new engine .
???
Elaborate please
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 06:55 PM   #16
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by W37V View Post
Quote:
Yep right their with you. Had one for a month while mine was getting a new engine .
???
Elaborate please
My f15 40e needed engine replacement so I had a G05 for a month.

The cylinder 1 was misfiring and had scoring issues and bmw was aware of it and I guess it affected a small number of 40e engines as the rings where out of tolerance so it was replaced under good Will.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 09:01 PM   #17
agentorange
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328d

Two guys posted complaining about seat height. Is that because they are particularly tall or they just can't get that gangsta seat position in the new car.

As for removing the red/blue control, it seems that the electronics designers union just can't see a perfectly good piece of mechanical MMI without wanting to screw it up. M-B just did it in the GLC. They replaced a perfectly adequate control wheel for the COMAND system with some touch control monstrosity.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2020, 11:49 PM   #18
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentorange View Post
Two guys posted complaining about seat height. Is that because they are particularly tall or they just can't get that gangsta seat position in the new car.

As for removing the red/blue control, it seems that the electronics designers union just can't see a perfectly good piece of mechanical MMI without wanting to screw it up. M-B just did it in the GLC. They replaced a perfectly adequate control wheel for the COMAND system with some touch control monstrosity.
Yea not sure what the big deal was seemed normal to me, usually these are ergonomic requirements so I bet their the same between models and just the look of the interior gives them the feeling of sitting higher because of the dash slope.

Or unless they have a super long torso

On paper the G05 is a superior design from a technology standpoint and it's offerings.

As far as style i think it's got its highs and lows as any but also not a revolution that makes the f15 a fossil.
Appreciate 1
      01-12-2020, 11:34 AM   #19
The Libertine
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentorange View Post

A HUGE issue that drove me from Audi. Going all electronic for the controls and infotainment, with barely any option (or buttons, dials, etc.) for manual adjustments.
Appreciate 2
DJ100715.00
      01-13-2020, 09:24 PM   #20
DJ1007
United_States
Rep

I agree with you regarding the x4. I like the feel of it. Actually if the x3 sat down a little more I might like it too. The G05 is definitely a fine engine with a good trans but just doesn’t seem BMW.
Appreciate 1
      01-13-2020, 09:31 PM   #21
DJ1007
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yep right their with you. Had one for a month while mine was getting a new engine and have to say I'm sticking with the f15.

Not every re-design is necessarily better. Kind of like minis lately are so over designed they lost their way and the first gen and maybe 2nd is best looks wise and sure technology got better and maybe quality but based purely on looks they take the cake. But that's only my opinion.

Same for the f15 and f16 and f85 and f86. The new replacements are getting over designed and just strange. Maybe for the Chinese market not sure but the new ones lack a certain refinement.

The interior I felt wasn't an upgrade I know others do but the doors feel cheap. The nice piece of aluminum or wood is now a small part that doesn't feel significant.

The dash slopes downward to much witch makes you feel like your sitting higher in the cabin. The exterior side lines are two low and it lacks athleticism that the e70 and F15 have.

Sure they are more advanced and have more bells and whistles but the f15 is more timeless looking with the right options trims and colors.

Again just my opinion.

It's like when apple released two iPhones at the same time. Their both great phones one had more bells and whistles but at a cost. and the f15 is still relevant but holds its own against the new replacement.

Also the rear ! Oh that rear of the F15 and f85 is sooooo much better and bmw. The new one ehhhh it feels two high and not as planted.

Again just my opinion. Hey first world problems and luckily we have options.
I soo agree with you on the front sloping down makes you feel like you are sitting up. My wife would love it and doesn’t like the F15 because she feels like she can’t see over the hood. I love to sit in an suv and have the seats low. Love the F15 and now with the MPPK I would highly recommend it. Makes the car as peppy as the G05
Appreciate 1
      07-21-2021, 09:58 AM   #22
mpeteritas
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 35d

These comments are really interesting. I own a 2017 X5 35d, which is in the shop right now with BMW. I have a 2021 X5 as the loaner. I have to say that it is a HUGE improvement over the F15 in a few areas. Here are my thoughts:

1. STEERING -- the steering on the F15 is simply unacceptable for a BMW. Even in SPORT mode, it is loose and light and has very little quality feel of the road. And the vehicle does a really lousy job staying centered on the highway. Not as bad as a Subaru or a Hyundai, but it is right up there. The G05 steering is 1000% better. Good feel, good centering, much heavier when cruising on the highway. This is honestly my biggest complaint about the F15. I WISH there were a way to reprogram the steering to improve this.

2. SUSPENSION - The stock F15 suspension has a decent ride, but it has way too much body roll for my taste. I replaced my springs with Eibach Pro-Kit and now the handling is MUCH better. G05 is a much softer ride vs the F15, but it still handles well. Body roll is very controlled and appropriate for the vehicle size.

3. DRIVING POSITION - G05 is definitely higher and it takes some getting used to. I don't mind it. Steering wheel and gauge view is much better. In my F15, to get the steering wheel and seat in the right position, I can't see the top of the gauges. I saw others complain about the same issue. I am 6' tall, for reference... I don't have this issue at all in the G05. I like that the default driving position is intended to be a bit higher and I can comfortably reach the wheel and also see the gauges.

Those are the big key items that jump out at me. Obviously, the tech is very different in G05 vs F15, but I don't think that really needs to be discussed here as that is true for every jump in generation for every manufacturer.

Those are my thoughts!

Mark
Appreciate 0