BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-12-2018, 07:08 PM   #1
Twin Peaks
N00B
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i (F15)

Question

BMW should put me on payroll... So many dealership visits and still having issues!!!! If anyone could help troubleshoot or has experienced similar issues, please chime in and I can pass the "deets" onto the dealer. I have been without my car for over a month now on parts being replaced and "diagnosing". I always use 93 and up at Costco and have never used fuel additives.

2014 X5 50i

Parts replaced/brand new over the last 4 months;
  1. 1 Cold Air Intake Filters
  2. Both Mass Airflow Sensors
  3. 1 All Ignition Coils
  4. 1 All Spark Plugs (The dealer "suggested" I change out my brand new plugs and go OEM @ $25 a pop + labor... what a joke!) https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...sch-0242145541)
  5. Crankshaft Ventilator Hose & Connecting Line (Was replaced TWICE in a 3 month span and most recently - https://parts.bmwofsouthatlanta.com/...158647962.html & https://parts.bmwofsouthatlanta.com/...158647298.html)
  6. Turbo Charge Hose 1 ()
  7. RUBBER BOOT (https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...t/13717638568/)
  8. Auxilary Water Pump (https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...mp-11517629916)

Current Errors/Issue. (1 day after picking my car up from the dealership (Crankshaft vent hose/rubber boot were replaced)

Check Engine Light
Carly Diagnostics - Results
Code:
Immobilizer System
Fault Code: 80436A
Fault Explanation: Auxiliary water pump: Short circuit to positive or open circuit
Code:
Immobilizer System
Fault Code: 8044D7
Fault Explanation: Interior light layering LIN: Number Layering slaves incorrect / Interior light layering FI-LIN 1: Number Layering slaves incorrect
Code:
Engine/Motor
Fault Code: 102005
Fault Explanation: Air filter, air mass meter signal deviation, coupling: inflow bad
Code:
Engine/Motor
Fault Code: 118101
Fault Explanation: Mixture control 2: mixture too lean

Last edited by Twin Peaks; 10-12-2018 at 07:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2018, 01:39 AM   #2
kanvas
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: V8

Hello there first model year 50i owner! I also did 2 - 5. But man, that sounds like a lot more issues. Best of luck, the 50i is definitely high maintenance car
      10-13-2018, 03:31 AM   #3
Mr.47
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 35d

Well These two codes 102005 and 118101 seem to be correlating with each other as for faults, given that they've remove/replace intake hoses Id start checking for any improper installation of intake hose/seal after the MAF sensor, any air leak (vacuum leak) after MAF will cause incorrect fuel mixture and usually will trigger a lean condition.

Engine/Motor
Fault Code: 102005
Fault Explanation: Air filter, air mass meter signal deviation, coupling: inflow bad

Engine/Motor
Fault Code: 118101
Fault Explanation: Mixture control 2: mixture too lean

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For this one check fuse #53, fuse box located in the trunk.

Immobilizer System
Fault Code: 8044D7
Fault Explanation: Interior light layering LIN: Number Layering slaves incorrect / Interior light layering FI-LIN 1: Number Layering slaves incorrect

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This one is the electric water pump for the turbo water intercooler, short circuit/open circuit means pump is not running, Since the dealer when rummaging thru that area, i check the the power plug to the pump and fuse (i dont know where that fuse is), before replacing as this part is kinda buried within front of the engine and lot of lines/hose need to be removed before extraction.

Immobilizer System
Fault Code: 80436A
Fault Explanation: Auxiliary water pump: Short circuit to positive or open circuit
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2018, 09:15 AM   #4
Twin Peaks
N00B
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanvas View Post
Hello there first model year 50i owner! I also did 2 - 5. But man, that sounds like a lot more issues. Best of luck, the 50i is definitely high maintenance car
Thanks. I disagree about maintenance, most of the parts replaced and work performed is not related to maintenance. The car was running fine for the last 8k miles, then bam... I am losing faith in BMW service fast.

I purchased the overpriced Platinum warranty not too long ago to cover me and my only experience so far is 3 out of 3 separate dealerships milking me for unnecessary parts and half ass troubleshooting. I expect better service/work for a 115k car.
      10-13-2018, 06:17 PM   #5
kanvas
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin Peaks View Post
Thanks. I disagree about maintenance, most of the parts replaced and work performed is not related to maintenance. The car was running fine for the last 8k miles, then bam... I am losing faith in BMW service fast.

I purchased the overpriced Platinum warranty not too long ago to cover me and my only experience so far is 3 out of 3 separate dealerships milking me for unnecessary parts and half ass troubleshooting. I expect better service/work for a 115k car.
Yeah, by high maintenance I meant it needs way too much work being done since many things can go wrong with it.

I had coil issues that had to be replaced. I went four times to the dealership to get it addressed and got confusing troubleshooting (mass air flow sensor replacement (?), swapping (?) coils, etc).

Went to an independent mechanic who knew his sh!t, right away said "bad coil." So I said replace it, and replace the rest. As easy as that. Of course, I'm out of warranty so keeping my fingers crossed I don't need an engine replacement or anything of that scale, but I already saved so much time and money already out of warranty because the dealership takes too long repairing and diagnosing the problem and forced me to find a more efficient route. No more loaners and phone tag (for now).
      10-14-2018, 12:09 AM   #6
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin Peaks View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanvas View Post

Are they forcing you to pay for all this work or is the warranty covering it thus far?
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 06:37 AM   #7
awrosemba
Registered
Rep
Drives: 535i x-drive, X5 5.0

Sorry to revive an old thread, but wondering if this issue was resolved for the OP, and what the fix was. I am experiencing similar issues and hope to not have to replace everything on this list!
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2020, 12:14 AM   #8
Twin Peaks
N00B
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
Are they forcing you to pay for all this work or is the warranty covering it thus far?
They tried on gaskets/smoke tests etc. I did pay for spark plugs, ignition coil, and a new turbo charge hose from FCP. I only go to dealerships now for stuff that is confirmed broken (by myself or Indy) and under warranty. You would think that the bad MAF ruining my spark plugs would cover that... BMW out here pinching pennies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by awrosemba View Post
Sorry to revive an old thread, but wondering if this issue was resolved for the OP, and what the fix was. I am experiencing similar issues and hope to not have to replace everything on this list!
Sorry to respond so late! My main issue was a single bad MAF, the voltage was way off (Verified by Indy shop, I suggested it to the dealer on visit 1 before the visit to the Indy shop but dealers know everything). The dealer replaced it, cleared codes and errors went away. This even fouled up my brand new spark plugs something serious. I think the dealer broke/cracked the rubber gaskets and/or turbo hose on the intake also because my error list kept climbing after every visit up until 1 MAF was replaced. I did replace both MAFs prior to all the drama but I didn't clear the errors correctly and fooled myself. Moral to the story is find a reputable independent mechanic with experience on these cars.

*Update, almost forgot to add... they said and documented that they replaced the auxiliary pump and I still have the error to this day.