Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp_Cai View Post
My BMW service advisor told me before I made my mind for X5 purchase - "5.0i is a piece of shit, you will come back more often to see me and not happy with the problems."
Lol my advisor told me the same! He said theirs a reason the 50i sell for a good price.

basically said the v8 you run away not walk run.

He said bmw knows how to build an in-line 6 like no other .... the V8.... ehhhhh.

It may be fast but it may leave you broke and sad at the end of the day.

The risk is much higher you will have issues with the v8 and to have a few grand set aside for issues down the road.
No offense but your advisor has an agenda and clearly needs to be updated on his models. The N63TU engines are solid and I've seen just as many 35i issues as 50i issues on the f15/16 thus go. The only real drawback is gas mileage and let's be honest if your looking at gas mileage you're not shopping for a V8 with 2 turbos. Lol

Parts certainly don't cost more on the 50i than the 35i. Besides that there simply is more of them (spark plugs, injectors, cylinders, turbos, etc.)
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 3
jch1511190.00
CT335xi682.50
geedup35216.00
      07-21-2019, 11:58 AM   #112
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
My BMW service advisor told me before I made my mind for X5 purchase - "5.0i is a piece of shit, you will come back more often to see me and not happy with the problems."
Lol my advisor told me the same! He said theirs a reason the 50i sell for a good price.

He said bmw knows how to build an in-line 6 like no other .... the V8.... ehhhhh.

The risk is much higher you will have issues with the v8 and to have a few grand set aside for issues down the road.
No offense but your advisor has an agenda and clearly needs to be updated on his models. The N63TU engines are solid and I've seen just as many 35i issues as 50i issues on the f15/16 thus go. The only real drawback is gas mileage and let's be honest if your looking at gas mileage you're not shopping for a V8 with 2 turbos. Lol

Parts certainly don't cost more on the 50i than the 35i. Besides that there simply is more of them (spark plugs, injectors, cylinders, turbos, etc.)
Not trying to start a fight.

Advisors will do what they will do.

Also walking through the service bay their where a few v8's that needed new engines so it still happens.

Plus he's shown me actual data proving the v8 has more issues than any of the other available drivetrains so I'll accept data over your opinion.

I'm in Chicago so theirs tons of cars that go through that dealer. You don't need me talking to prove anything just ask the owners, I fact one just posted I believe needing a new long block!

V8's will all eventually die off anyway with electric power trains coming in the mix now..

All the power you need and none of the headache.

Minus the lovely sound though

And dude your talking to someone who's had his bmw engines fail on him twice already so I'm skeptical on anything being "fixed" I've had both my e70 and f15 require new engines already! Luckily was covered on both, and that's with 5k mike oils changes. I'm starting to wonder if bmw builds anything decent anymore!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2019, 03:04 PM   #113
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

Quote:
Plus he's shown me actual data proving the v8 has more issues than any of the other available drivetrains so I'll accept data over your opinion.
yet without posting that data you're asking us to accept your opinion. please share.
Appreciate 1
Maverik2594140.00
      07-21-2019, 03:58 PM   #114
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Also walking through the service bay their where a few v8's that needed new engines so it still happens.

I'm in Chicago so theirs tons of cars that go through that dealer. You don't need me talking to prove anything just ask the owners, I fact one just posted I believe needing a new long block!

V8's will all eventually die off anyway with electric power trains coming in the mix now..

And dude your talking to someone who's had his bmw engines fail on him twice already so I'm skeptical on anything being "fixed" I've had both my e70 and f15 require new engines already! Luckily was covered on both, and that's with 5k mike oils changes. I'm starting to wonder if bmw builds anything decent anymore!
I also said N63TU. If you don't know what that is then I can't help. Everyone's here is well aware BMW has a history of bad V8s. I clearly stated that the N63TU is NOT one of them. And to run from it is Assinine.

And all the data i need is in this forum and the experience of others with the cars. Plus If someone is getting a new long block then they're getting a new engine. And never said that can't happen but Someone's also posted that a i6 and the 40e engine needed replacing in this forum.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 1
CT335xi682.50
      07-21-2019, 05:41 PM   #115
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I also said N63TU. If you don't know what that is then I can't help. Everyone's here is well aware BMW has a history of bad V8s. I clearly stated that the N63TU is NOT one of them. And to run from it is Assinine.

And all the data i need is in this forum and the experience of others with the cars. Plus If someone is getting a new long block then they're getting a new engine. And never said that can't happen but Someone's also posted that a i6 and the 40e engine needed replacing in this forum.
Yep that was me!

Hugs.

At the end of the day these are texts and lack feeling. I think we got off on the wrong foot early on and hope we can reconcile.

Either way we're here for fun and knowledge right .
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2019, 05:48 PM   #116
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
Quote:
yet without posting that data you're asking us to accept your opinion. please share.
He just showed me from his computer. It's when I was in the market, he warned me and I said yea but that was an e70 problem not an f15 issue. He said their better but still far and away they have more issues with them.

Not buying or selling but he told me to steer clear if not under warranty.

That's all I know, don't throw stones at me I'm just relaying what was told to me and I've bought a lot of cars from them so they usually have my back.

Again just saying what he said. It's posable he has other reasons but not sure what he has to gain.

Anyway the OP asked about posable issues and just telling him what i experienced when I was in the market.

K I'm done and walking out of the room slowly..... Lol...
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2019, 06:07 PM   #117
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

not throwing stones or challenging your comments but simply stating that we have to take your opinion for it without any data... if the individual showed you something i am curious what it is because there isn't an excel spreadsheet of sorts that documents engine issues in the service department then categorizes them. if he showed you tsb/recall data that is a different story but i am genuinely curious about the data that the individual displayed. lastly, if you're not doing the eight cylinder the diesel may be the better option. i had a traditional six cylinder for a month and i didn't realize any significant fuel savings nor did the difference in fuel justify the difference in output. it is how i feel about a non-s q7 or when the q7 had the 3.6 offering. it was just under-powered for the heft of the vehicle and only done to appease cafe/carb nonsense. i may be wrong but it is my opinion based on my experience.
Appreciate 2
geedup35216.00
CT335xi682.50
      07-21-2019, 08:32 PM   #118
mjustice
Rep
Drives: 22 X5MC

This is a very timely time to bring this post to life again. My first BMW is a 2016 X5 35i. I bought it with M Sport package and love it. I have been looking at the 2019 50i and driven it as well. I cannot quite make up my mind as although faster, quite happy with the 6 cylinder. Also, considering what they want to give me for my rig with 20K on it, I might just keep it since I am happy with it. My thought was to order one with everything I want though and the 2020 should have some of the bugs worked out that the 2019's had. Thoughts or comments always appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2019, 09:37 PM   #119
spierce
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 35i

Quote:
not throwing stones or challenging your comments but simply stating that we have to take your opinion for it without any data... if the individual showed you something i am curious what it is because there isn't an excel spreadsheet of sorts that documents engine issues in the service department then categorizes them. if he showed you tsb/recall data that is a different story but i am genuinely curious about the data that the individual displayed. lastly, if you're not doing the eight cylinder the diesel may be the better option. i had a traditional six cylinder for a month and i didn't realize any significant fuel savings nor did the difference in fuel justify the difference in output. it is how i feel about a non-s q7 or when the q7 had the 3.6 offering. it was just under-powered for the heft of the vehicle and only done to appease cafe/carb nonsense. i may be wrong but it is my opinion based on my experience.
I am curious about this also. What SA at the dealer level has access to statistically significant company wide reliability data and is willing to show that to a customer?

I am guessing none. I am sure I am not alone in questioning such a dubious claim.

If SAs, or any dealer level employee had access to it it would most assuredly be online for all to see. There would be no way BMW could control such data. You're taking thousands of people with access. It would be a huge tool for recalls, lawsuits...etc. and they know that.

Thus, I call bs.

I am considering trading up to a 50i, so i am curious.
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7262.50
      07-22-2019, 12:32 AM   #120
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spierce View Post
Quote:
I am curious about this also. What SA at the dealer level has access to statistically significant company wide reliability data and is willing to show that to a customer?

I am guessing none. I am sure I am not alone in questioning such a dubious claim.

If SAs, or any dealer level employee had access to it it would most assuredly be online for all to see. There would be no way BMW could control such data. You're taking thousands of people with access. It would be a huge tool for recalls, lawsuits...etc. and they know that.

Thus, I call bs.

I am considering trading up to a 50i, so i am curious.
Not company wide just their dealership, it showed how many tickets they had for engine repair. Maybe they just get all the ones with engine trouble and other areas are unaffected not sure. He said he believes it's related to when bmw changed their oil specs. I guess they run thinner weight oil than before. At least that is what I was told, I have no idea but he said they started getting lots of engine issues, I would have thought that would effect all engines but he just said they get a lot of the v8's I never gave numbers, I was just told from what he sees theirs more of the v8 in for service than the i6 engines.

I kid you not while I was their their was 2 x6's and an x5 and a 7 series all needing a new engine. Mine was the only 35i in the lineup. Kind of scary ... that was why I chimed in in the first place. Though now I'm kind of regretting it as I didn't want this to go south.

But whatever that was my experience so I said what I said I have nothing more to go on.

Their you have it all I know. Please forget I even said anything.
Appreciate 1
RatedX0.00
      07-23-2019, 12:48 AM   #121
hlrzr
Love the X5, but R1 is life!
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 50i M-Sport

FWIW, I've had my 50i for 2.5mos and I'm glad I went this route. No need for the MPPK stuff although I will ultimately get a stage 1 added. If you go this route, do yourself a favour and just acknowledge you will NOT have good gas mileage. Once you come to terms with that you'll enjoy the crap out of it.

If you do find yourself concerned about gas mileage you could always try limp mode... er eco mode. I don't find myself always in sport/+ but rather comfort. That seems to provide enough pep for me and the kidlet though the odd days where I'm driving solo and well... launch mode has really become my friend!
Appreciate 1
CT335xi682.50
      07-23-2019, 12:02 PM   #122
puckybadger
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X6 M60i LCI TBII/Tartufo

Update from my post on page 4: 107500 miles with ZERO issues, no repairs, nothing except normal maintenance which is 100% taken care of with my 125K mile extended maintenance plan. So far that's 7 oil changes, front and rear brakes with rotors, spark plugs (due again at 120K), numerous cabin/microfilters, annual wiper blade (3) replacement, and whatever else is needed. My only out of pocket expense was a set of tires. 50i rules.
Appreciate 2
BimmerTy191.50
Maverik2594140.00
      07-23-2019, 01:28 PM   #123
Goodfella10
Private
Rep
Drives: NA

I decided to go with the 50i and no regrets whatsoever. Very enjoyable to drive!
Appreciate 1
BimmerTy191.50
      07-23-2019, 06:53 PM   #124
Speenybean
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 15’ Xdrive 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckybadger View Post
Update from my post on page 4: 107500 miles with ZERO issues, no repairs, nothing except normal maintenance which is 100% taken care of with my 125K mile extended maintenance plan. So far that's 7 oil changes, front and rear brakes with rotors, spark plugs (due again at 120K), numerous cabin/microfilters, annual wiper blade (3) replacement, and whatever else is needed. My only out of pocket expense was a set of tires. 50i rules.
Quote:

Dude that is soooooooooo good to hear!!!!! Mine is 2015 50i and plan on keeping her till the wheels fall off. 120k and u never changed transmission / differential fluids?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2019, 08:57 PM   #125
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Good to hear as well and not what I expected to be honest. 120k miles is a lot to not have a single issue. Any seals or gaskets? Had to have changed transfer case or diff fluid no? If not you probably should lol.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2020, 01:20 AM   #126
FastDriver
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5

Since the X5 soaks up a lot of mileage and gets driven every day, for reliability, longevity, mileage, smoothness, better depreciation, and peace of mind, the 35i is the right engine in this platform. I love speed as much as the next guy, but honestly, if you're going to make an argument that acceleration is most important to you, why this platform? Either of my 4-digit turbo mustangs make this tank feel slow no matter what factory motor is in it. Their motors are cheaper to build/repair/maintain, too.

The X5 is my 'grown up' car. When I'm taking a group of colleagues to lunch, or friends out for a night on the town, I don't want the hot rod, or the utilitarian F250, I don't want to drive my beater, I want the X5. It impresses with the gizmos and the comfy leather seats with butt warmers and quad-zone climate. People feel safe in it. I get the appeal of mashing the throttle in a big V8, but again, there are other toys for that ;-)

Last edited by FastDriver; 04-27-2020 at 01:35 AM..
Appreciate 1
      04-27-2020, 06:16 AM   #127
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDriver View Post
Since the X5 soaks up a lot of mileage and gets driven every day, for reliability, longevity, mileage, smoothness, better depreciation, and peace of mind, the 35i is the right engine in this platform. I love speed as much as the next guy, but honestly, if you're going to make an argument that acceleration is most important to you, why this platform? Either of my 4-digit turbo mustangs make this tank feel slow no matter what factory motor is in it. Their motors are cheaper to build/repair/maintain, too.

The X5 is my 'grown up' car. When I'm taking a group of colleagues to lunch, or friends out for a night on the town, I don't want the hot rod, or the utilitarian F250, I don't want to drive my beater, I want the X5. It impresses with the gizmos and the comfy leather seats with butt warmers and quad-zone climate. People feel safe in it. I get the appeal of mashing the throttle in a big V8, but again, there are other toys for that ;-)
It's a "to each his own" thing. For us 50i owners, it's the fact that stock you are able have your cake and eat it too. This thing is a tank like you said, a tank that runs sub 4 second 0-60 and high 11's with just a tune....those numbers used to be reserved for no backseat, ride punishing muscle cars ...now we have comfy 5300lb tanks running them.

After the kids are dropped off, and the meetings are over, all it takes is a quick jab of the right foot and we are instantly transported back in time, when life was simple, and given the feeling that was once reserved to only pony cars.

Appreciate 3
aswob32.00
CT335xi682.50
cod500.00
      04-27-2020, 10:55 AM   #128
FastDriver
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5

I can see the appeal. As you said, to each their own. I have to hand it to ya, I remember thinking I was bad when my full interior fox cracked into the 11s with just a heads, cam, & intake swap back in '02. I would be irritated seeing a box like the X running with me back then, and none back then ever did.

But, this is the era of forced induction, and sports cars have also moved on with the times. I would say my car is probably in nearly the same percentile of fast these days, and I am looking forward to cracking into the 8s, now. So, from my perspective, I just don't have any interest in pushing the X.

For that matter, I haven't even tuned my Power Stroke, because I like longevity and stock-like manners. I prefer other mods that make life better. For example, I'll be installing a Stealth-hitch on the X, and have already gotten winter wheels/tires, a spare so I can go back to comfier, sportier, cheaper non-RF tires, and I'm a tinkerer so there will be plenty more to come. The F250 has air bags, upgraded shocks, a light bar, an exhaust brake, and I can monitor the glow plugs activation to optimize cold starts. The beater has navigation, radar detection, bluetooth hands free connection, a dash cam and a lot of little other doodads. The mustangs... well... nevermind, lol...

We're at ~85k miles in the X now, and 10k new miles already this year. As long as repairs/maintenance don't start to eat me alive and the electronics don't start regularly going bonkers, I can see owning it for another 115k+ miles, which may only take 5 years. Perhaps we'll even go beyond that point. So, at the rate we're driving it, I may very well wear the drivetrain out at the same rate as all the doodads & gizmos. I'd have a lot less faith in that 4.4's drivetrain longevity at those kind of miles.

I appreciate it for what it is. It keeps the SO pampered & safe on the daily, allows me to 'adult' when I need to. It's an awesome car for long trips. Love the AWD with winter tires in bad conditions. None of the things I want in it have anything to do with a hotter motor. So, while I can appreciate where you're coming from, and unlike many others who have responded, I have never had the slightest regret or desire for any other motor than that well-reputed 3.0.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2020, 02:19 PM   #129
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I can see the appeal. As you said, to each their own. I have to hand it to ya, I remember thinking I was bad when my full interior fox cracked into the 11s with just a heads, cam, & intake swap back in '02. I would be irritated seeing a box like the X running with me back then, and none back then ever did.

But, this is the era of forced induction, and sports cars have also moved on with the times. I would say my car is probably in nearly the same percentile of fast these days, and I am looking forward to cracking into the 8s, now. So, from my perspective, I just don't have any interest in pushing the X.

For that matter, I haven't even tuned my Power Stroke, because I like longevity and stock-like manners. I prefer other mods that make life better. For example, I'll be installing a Stealth-hitch on the X, and have already gotten winter wheels/tires, a spare so I can go back to comfier, sportier, cheaper non-RF tires, and I'm a tinkerer so there will be plenty more to come. The F250 has air bags, upgraded shocks, a light bar, an exhaust brake, and I can monitor the glow plugs activation to optimize cold starts. The beater has navigation, radar detection, bluetooth hands free connection, a dash cam and a lot of little other doodads. The mustangs... well... nevermind, lol...

We're at ~85k miles in the X now, and 10k new miles already this year. As long as repairs/maintenance don't start to eat me alive and the electronics don't start regularly going bonkers, I can see owning it for another 115k+ miles, which may only take 5 years. Perhaps we'll even go beyond that point. So, at the rate we're driving it, I may very well wear the drivetrain out at the same rate as all the doodads & gizmos. I'd have a lot less faith in that 4.4's drivetrain longevity at those kind of miles.

I appreciate it for what it is. It keeps the SO pampered & safe on the daily, allows me to 'adult' when I need to. It's an awesome car for long trips. Love the AWD with winter tires in bad conditions. None of the things I want in it have anything to do with a hotter motor. So, while I can appreciate where you're coming from, and unlike many others who have responded, I have never had the slightest regret or desire for any other motor than that well-reputed 3.0.
I remember those days, for me it was in the mid 90's, trying to crack the 11's with a 77 BMW 320i I shoehorned my Fathers old Chevy 350 from his work truck into (Became very good with a plasma cutter and mig welder during that project).

Back then the stock 5.0's and Camaros were in the 14's, getting into the 12's and 11's took exactly what you said, heads, cams, intakes, scraping and clawing even tenth away. And if you were in the 10's on a streetable car, well people noticed and you were pretty much a hero of your racing circle.

Kids these days...don't know how good they have it when everything runs 11's & 12's stock....and don't even get me started on Tesla's

Last edited by Sophisticated Redneck; 04-27-2020 at 02:34 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-27-2020, 03:17 PM   #130
CT335xi
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 x5 m50i, 2005 evo 8

Quote:

What car do you have that your looking to crack into the 8’s ? Is it a street car? Those times are usually full out track/drag car with a chute sometimes depending on the track and how good your brakes are. Interested in hearing.
04 325xi, 91 gmc Syclone, 08 335xi, and 13 x3 35i msp
2014 x5 50i msport
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2020, 03:56 PM   #131
turboawd
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisticated Redneck View Post
It's a "to each his own" thing. For us 50i owners, it's the fact that stock you are able have your cake and eat it too. This thing is a tank like you said, a tank that runs sub 4 second 0-60 and high 11's with just a tune....those numbers used to be reserved for no backseat, ride punishing muscle cars ...now we have comfy 5300lb tanks running them.

After the kids are dropped off, and the meetings are over, all it takes is a quick jab of the right foot and we are instantly transported back in time, when life was simple, and given the feeling that was once reserved to only pony cars.

Your car? Just a tune? That's very impressive.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2020, 09:21 PM   #132
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT335xi View Post
What car do you have that your looking to crack into the 8’s ? Is it a street car? Those times are usually full out track/drag car with a chute sometimes depending on the track and how good your brakes are. Interested in hearing.
Nah, all it takes is about 300K for a 720s +10K in exhaust & tune....Easy! (if your very well off)

Last edited by Sophisticated Redneck; 04-27-2020 at 09:27 PM..
Appreciate 1
CT335xi682.50