BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-07-2017, 01:12 PM   #1
brainblade
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 x5m

x5m 2016 21inch Mich PSS in snow--CAREFUL

Its snowing in New York. Ive had 5 M cars/NEVER SNOW TIRES and the best(COMPARATIVELY) in snow was my 2013 m5 20 inch pss. The f10 was drivable in the snow although it did slip. Combination of the traction control allowed it to be controlled in snow and get around NYC although i did experience that any slope or grade could not be climbed. I climbed Killington Mountain in Vermont to base with snow albeit salted and that was a harrowing if not shityourpants experience that i would never do again. I never bought snows YET NOW only recommend driving with snows.
So last year I decided on a x5m with 21s. Mulled the snow tire setup but I don't commute and decided against snow tires. Today its snowing and i decided after one year and 8000 miles it would be worth getting an alignment at an excellent shop in Queens with Hunter equipment. Great shop and for $75 bucks I recommend them to anyone. Im very particular about steering wheel being straight and since the shop is so good and affordable, I've been going for last four years once a year even if not misaligned to eye. Anyway, its 20 degrees and light snow. even with all wheel drive, the x5m is more frightening than the m5 with no snows. It has better traction naturally on the gas, but braking is terrifying. My sense is the salting is creating ice since its 19 degrees AND WELL BELOW freezing point. At any rate its dangerous and the truck is very unsafe on 21s PSS. Be very careful if you so decide to take on snow. IVE had her out in snow before but only after roads are salted and near or above freezing point. My sense is low 20s/teens TEMP creates ice which makes braking impossible. Tires are wider than the m5s which creates floating effect thus sliding.
IM WELL AWARE PSS ARE SUMMER TIRES. IM WRITING ONLY TO RECOMMEND SNOWS TO BOARD MEMBERS AND ALERT THEM TO DANGER OF DRIVING THINKING ALL WHEEL SHOULD BE FINE. DONT RISK IT ITS ALL ABOUT BRAKING! BE CAREFUL
Appreciate 2
ajob456.00
      01-07-2017, 01:26 PM   #2
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

5200 pounds on summer only tires with 553 ft-lbs of torque seems like a good way to have your primary life insurance beneficiary get a check.
Appreciate 3
domd81779.00
Louv300.50
spuntyb4060.50
      01-07-2017, 01:40 PM   #3
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90M5,F85X5M

It's all in the rubber compound. A summer performance tire should not be used under 40F as the tire tread will get very hard and have low grip. Some summer tires can crack the sidewalls at low temps.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2017, 01:46 PM   #4
Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainblade View Post
Its snowing in New York. Ive had 5 M cars/NEVER SNOW TIRES and the best(COMPARATIVELY) in snow was my 2013 m5 20 inch pss. The f10 was drivable in the snow although it did slip. Combination of the traction control allowed it to be controlled in snow and get around NYC although i did experience that any slope or grade could not be climbed. I climbed Killington Mountain in Vermont to base with snow albeit salted and that was a harrowing if not shityourpants experience that i would never do again. I never bought snows YET NOW only recommend driving with snows.
So last year I decided on a x5m with 21s. Mulled the snow tire setup but I don't commute and decided against snow tires. Today its snowing and i decided after one year and 8000 miles it would be worth getting an alignment at an excellent shop in Queens with Hunter equipment. Great shop and for $75 bucks I recommend them to anyone. Im very particular about steering wheel being straight and since the shop is so good and affordable, I've been going for last four years once a year even if not misaligned to eye. Anyway, its 20 degrees and light snow. even with all wheel drive, the x5m is more frightening than the m5 with no snows. It has better traction naturally on the gas, but braking is terrifying. My sense is the salting is creating ice since its 19 degrees AND WELL BELOW freezing point. At any rate its dangerous and the truck is very unsafe on 21s PSS. Be very careful if you so decide to take on snow. IVE had her out in snow before but only after roads are salted and near or above freezing point. My sense is low 20s/teens TEMP creates ice which makes braking impossible. Tires are wider than the m5s which creates floating effect thus sliding.
IM WELL AWARE PSS ARE SUMMER TIRES. IM WRITING ONLY TO RECOMMEND SNOWS TO BOARD MEMBERS AND ALERT THEM TO DANGER OF DRIVING THINKING ALL WHEEL SHOULD BE FINE. DONT RISK IT ITS ALL ABOUT BRAKING! BE CAREFUL
I don't commute either... but wouldn't spend as much as I did on this car not to bother with the correct tires. Get the OE snow set up.

EDIT: If you haven't pulled the trigger because you live in NYC and don't have the room to store the 21" during the winter, I believe Park Ave and Tenefly will store offsite either for a nominal fee or free (if you buy from them/pay them to mount/dismount).
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2017, 01:55 PM   #5
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

I'm on snow tires and its pretty good. My 535xi on snow tires did feel more stable though.

Accelerating and braking is fine but on sharp turns it feels like the front axle and the rear are doing its own thing until the traction system intervenes. I've felt this before on other AWD cars.

I must say though that all the traction control system is remarkable on these cars. It will pretty much prevent you from doing something stupid unless you are really careless or doing it on purpose.

Alan
      01-07-2017, 03:19 PM   #6
SVTX5M
Rep
Drives: X5 M

Well, I deserve the dumb move of the day. Tried driving in Northern Charlotte suburbs today and was able to get to the store with limited issues. Came back and had to go up a hill and when I gave it gas I just went backwards no matter what I did. I had to drive back to the store and call an uber which happen to be a Jeep Cherokee. That little thing drove up the hill with almost no slipping. I am now a believer in summer tires and snow disaster waiting to happen. I found a set of decent wheels and snow tires for $2000 on tire rack. 19" but I guess that is the way to go. Only an issue around Xmas trip going to PA or the freak Charlotte storm. Kinda a pain but pay to play situation.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2017, 03:41 PM   #7
elm3
///M Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 M3 IB/'17 f85 X5M LBB

Garage List
2017 BMW / X5M  [9.00]
2009 E92 M3  [10.00]
2004 Yamaha R1  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTX5M View Post
Well, I deserve the dumb move of the day. Tried driving in Northern Charlotte suburbs today and was able to get to the store with limited issues. Came back and had to go up a hill and when I gave it gas I just went backwards no matter what I did. I had to drive back to the store and call an uber which happen to be a Jeep Cherokee. That little thing drove up the hill with almost no slipping. I am now a believer in summer tires and snow disaster waiting to happen. I found a set of decent wheels and snow tires for $2000 on tire rack. 19" but I guess that is the way to go. Only an issue around Xmas trip going to PA or the freak Charlotte storm. Kinda a pain but pay to play situation.
Be careful, I think that the X5M can only take wheels no smaller the 20", because of the brakes.
'09 E92 ///M3 Interlagos Blue,6MT,Silver Novillo Leather,CF Trim,Premium Package,Technology Package,Cold Weather Package,Premium Sound,19"Wheels,Moonroof-Toy/'17 X5M, Long Beach Blue, Executive Package,Technology Package, Lighting Package, Driver Assist, Full Mughello Red Interior, 21" wheels-Toy/'14 535i with M Sport and 19" wheels-Daily
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2017, 04:51 PM   #8
jjt4806
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 535xi

Quote:
That Cherokee likey either had A/T's, M/T's or studs, and the driver likely had enough knowledge (light throttle, light on the brakes) and experience to park the BMW/Porsche/Audi..whatever with crappy summer tires and drive something that would work in the conditions.
Be smart - dont learn how to drive in snow with this typ of vehicle (not implying those that posted didnt) or on these tires.
I'll drive mine in light snow or icy conditions, but I've had 40 years of driving in those conditions. And I know I'm taking a bit more of a risk with the BMW than I would be if I drove the Jeep or the pickup. If you've never tried an emergency stop on pure ice, you have absolutely no idea how little control you actually have.

When my daughter was in her mid teens, we went out to my parents farm in Montana. Blizzard conditions for most of the trip. Spent a full day with her driving our pickup through the pastures - into gulley's full of snow, across ponds, etc. Had her get up to speed many times and try to make turns, stop, and sometimes just doing 4 wheel drifts. One time when doing a hard brake and turn on a down hill, we must have spun around at least 4 times before it stopped. Had a blast, but she learned so much that day that most city kids never get a chance to learn without destroying a vehicle or two. She's one of the best drivers I've ever ridden with.

Last edited by jjt4806; 01-07-2017 at 05:01 PM..
Appreciate 1
Louv300.50
      01-07-2017, 06:22 PM   #9
brainblade
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 x5m

re

Cherokees generally have a narrow all season tire. My brothers 535xi with all seasons was a tank in snow. I was very very surprised how poor the directionally stability is on the x5m in snow meaning how prone it is to sliding when turning the wheel. Might be combo of wider front tires, suspension; but the m5 did not have directionally issues---only traction. Keep in mind I witnessed a standard x5 lose control on Northern Blvd behind where i pulled over to check my drawers. So it was likely black ice. Ideally a narrow rimmed winter 19inch setup low pressure would be ideal but as one post mentioned, 19s might not fit. Bottom line is if you're taking x5m through snow with 21s with PSS, you're putting yourself in a dangerous position.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2017, 07:27 PM   #10
tastelid
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

I run the OEM winter package and it's been pretty damn good. We live on a steep hill and it hasn't failed to climb it.

Going down is a bit scarier, of course...I keep a tight pucker once the ABS starts to kick in.
      01-07-2017, 07:58 PM   #11
CaboM4
BMW Aficionado
Rep
Drives: 23 i7,23 iX,24 Silverado

Quote:
you're nuts you for thinking a summer tire would be appropriate in cold weather ..... especially in snow.

you're lucky you didn't wreck out and hurt yourself or someone else

fyi ... i saw someone listed an oem f85 winter setup on the classifieds for $3500

i have this setup and it handled excellent in today's snow 3-5 inches
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2017, 08:31 PM   #12
MRCUR
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Model 3 Performance

The PSS tires are absolutely not appropriate for cold weather/winter. It continues to baffle me why people seem to think otherwise.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2017, 09:07 PM   #13
Roundown
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
I'm on snow tires and its pretty good. My 535xi on snow tires did feel more stable though.

Accelerating and braking is fine but on sharp turns it feels like the front axle and the rear are doing its own thing until the traction system intervenes. I've felt this before on other AWD cars.

I must say though that all the traction control system is remarkable on these cars. It will pretty much prevent you from doing something stupid unless you are really careless or doing it on purpose.

Alan
You're running OE 20s, right? You think the width of those rears is affecting your snow performance?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2017, 10:47 PM   #14
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

I'm sure it has some impact on it. on my F10 535xi i had a square 245 winter tire setup and it def. felt more stable.

My car is fine going and stopping. lane changes are great as well. Its when i'm doing 90 degree turns about mid way into turn (max turn angle) the car slides slightly as if the front of the car is dragging the back. Hard to explain it but the feeling is def. there with this car that i didn't notice on my 535xi.

Alan
      01-08-2017, 12:18 AM   #15
crooked I
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M

unbelievable you would even attempt to take your summer tires onto snow. your the driver i see stuck on the road endangering everyone else around you
Appreciate 1
Kzang3240.00
      01-08-2017, 06:56 AM   #16
Roundown
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaboM4 View Post
Quote:
you're nuts you for thinking a summer tire would be appropriate in cold weather ..... especially in snow.

you're lucky you didn't wreck out and hurt yourself or someone else

fyi ... i saw someone listed an oem f85 winter setup on the classifieds for $3500

i have this setup and it handled excellent in today's snow 3-5 inches
They're going for $3k now (new). I bought mine from this seller. https://www.ebay.com/itm/322302629784
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2017, 09:51 AM   #17
WCH
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M8C convertible

Garage List
Quote:
19" wheels won't clear your brakes.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2017, 10:09 AM   #18
arrivederci
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Lots of articles out there about what summer tires do when the temps drop below 40 degrees - not even factoring in snow/ice/slush. AWD won't fix those issues. While it may be enough to get going, you can't turn or stop any better than a vette with the same tires.

I run the OEM winter setup and it is pretty good. Not as aggressive of a snow tire as I've had on other cars/trucks, but it gets the job done. The Michelin X-ice xi3 on my wife's 328d are better...
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2017, 10:09 AM   #19
Alberta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F90

Absolutely , 20" is the smallest size you can fit on the X5M/X6M.

I've tried to install the 19" winter package I had for my previous X5 ... bad surprise.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2017, 10:33 AM   #20
SVTX5M
Rep
Drives: X5 M

After picking my exact vehicle (X5 M) this is the 19" winter setup Tire Rack suggested. I will call them tomorrow and make sure they know they have a mistake there due to size of brakes. Thanks for pointing that out.

http://www.tirerack.com/snow/preferredpackages.jsp
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2017, 11:29 AM   #21
gan23
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5M '18 XM’23 X5 50e 24

Which year is your car? E70m is ok with 19" but not F85
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2017, 11:30 AM   #22
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90M5,F85X5M

Good deal on pointing out the TireRack link. It is wrong.
Appreciate 0