BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-27-2022, 09:08 PM   #1
J-DubM3///
Rep
Drives: Audi S4

Hi All,

Been on various BMW forums for 15+ years and recently purchased a 2017 X5M. I purchased the car from Vroom and they have a 7-day return policy—I immediately brought the car to a trusted independent shop I work with here in DFW for a post purchase inspection.

The car looked incredibly clean with the exception of the oil gasket crusher not being properly sealed during the last oil change, resulting in a slow leak. However; when my shop then performed an oil change, they saw copper in it…

Vroom is offering to cover a portion of the rod bearing replacement (2500 on 4000 estimate…seem in line?) but my bigger concern is the premature failure and if there are other issues that will follow. There's no knocking or any other signs and my mechanic believes we caught it super early.

Quick stats on the car
- two owners, clean title, no accidents
- 36,000 miles
- spent 28,000 miles in SoCal and last 8k in San Antonio, Texas
- rest of car looks great- engine runs well, no rust on underbody, no strange noises, etc. carfax is standard service stuff performed per BMW rec.

Money aside, would this be a huge red flag to y'all? I've been looking for this spec and mileage for quite some time so I'm really hoping to find a resolution. That said, I don't want a money pit. I can return up until end of week..

I did buy an extended warranty but the 4k is not covered because it doesn't kick in until 90 days after ownership.

In short- rod bearing failure caught early—fix, or run while I can?

Thanks so much everyone! Sorry if I left off any pertinent details.
Attached Images

02-27-2022, 10:53 PM   #2
9vapors
Major
Rep
Drives: CB X5M

If it were me, I'd tell Vroom they can pay for it completely or take their car back…
Appreciate 1
sly1types431.50
      02-27-2022, 11:13 PM   #3
Surgx5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X5

Agreed. Still within that grace period so return it. You don't want to spend big bread on a car that is on the fast track to major engine problems.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2022, 05:57 AM   #4
Chilled
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

I would also get your independent to check the cylinder lining for scoring. If they see any premature scoring, walk away.

If the block is fine, I would say that depending on the spec and condition, a 50/50 split on repair bill maybe worth it. But if its in a Ok-ish condition, and/or you can find better options. As others said, make them pay in full, or walk.

You really don't want to be starting your new journey with a blown motor, and bad juju. BTW, a new S63 long block is around $25K.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2022, 08:05 AM   #5
J-DubM3///
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilled View Post
I would also get your independent to check the cylinder lining for scoring. If they see any premature scoring, walk away.

If the block is fine, I would say that depending on the spec and condition, a 50/50 split on repair bill maybe worth it. But if its in a Ok-ish condition, and/or you can find better options. As others said, make them pay in full, or walk.

You really don't want to be starting your new journey with a blown motor, and bad juju. BTW, a new S63 long block is around $25K.
Thanks for all the replies so far and definitely hear your points.

Few questions
- does $4k seem about right for rod bearing replacement
- what could cause bearings to fail at 35k miles?
- is it possible the oil specs are anything other than bearings?

The challenge is I don't think I'll find a Silverstone on mugello 2017+ with less than 40k miles and almost fully loaded. I've been casually searching for about a year. That said, if this is indicative of future problems, i need to walk (even with an extended warranty).

I'm not so concerned about dropping $1500 to split the repair (2500/1500) with Vroom but I'm really concerned this is a bad sign for more to come. The car is in fantastic condition otherwise but we haven't dropped the pan to check the engine (I'd do this as next step but will incur labor costs so trying to decide if it's worth it).

Thoughts?
      02-28-2022, 08:44 AM   #6
slow_roll
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5M

I totally get your dilemma OP... A clean car cosmetically doesn't mean it's a mechanically well maintained car. There's no way to ascertain whether or not if previous owners beat on it excessively. If you went the extra mile to get an extended warranty, addressing the rod bearings and inspecting the cylinder walls for scoring is the least you can do for a peace of mind.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2022, 12:18 PM   #7
J-DubM3///
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow_roll View Post
I totally get your dilemma OP... A clean car cosmetically doesn't mean it's a mechanically well maintained car. There's no way to ascertain whether or not if previous owners beat on it excessively. If you went the extra mile to get an extended warranty, addressing the rod bearings and inspecting the cylinder walls for scoring is the least you can do for a peace of mind.
Totally agree. My mechanic is pretty adamant that the rest of the car is very clean mechanically after a thorough PPI. He thinks it's because the oil BMW calls for due to compliance with EPA

He said because there is no knocking and the flakes are small, he'd be surprised if it's the main bearings, gasket or crank issues. About '90% certain' it's the rod bearings.

I'm probably risking $2-3k of service if i take it apart and find bigger issues but if it ends up only being rod bearings and i fix them for 1500 of my money, I'd be okay with that. So long as this isn't a bad sign for the future….
      02-28-2022, 09:53 PM   #8
Chilled
Major
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-DubM3/// View Post
Few questions
- what could cause bearings to fail at 35k miles?
- is it possible the oil specs are anything other than bearings?
Failure at $35k, oil starvation + crap service intervals (ie. BMW recommended service intervals) coupled with hard driving. Would be the main reasons. (the BMW service intervals, look at the iDrive logs. Its probably only had 2, maybe 3 oil changed in the 35k. This is not good enough.)

Whilst, its not unheard of on these forums to have failure this early. Almost always when this has happened, was on cars that were second hand and there was no info on how the previous owner was treating the car.

Personally I would consider walking away, as you don't know the condition of the Diffs, Transfer Case, and Transmission. If the previous owner was getting up on it, without mechanically taking care of the car. All those things could be next.

With good servicing, the bearings should last 100k. Even if you get on it every day.

Unless you are getting a really good deal on it, price wise. Taking into account all those things could be next. Walk.

Last edited by Chilled; 02-28-2022 at 10:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2022, 12:49 AM   #9
bmwx5er
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5m

You're buying an extended warranty for peace of mind, so I wouldn't walk away. I'd ask vroom to contribute the $2500 towards the extended warranty and fix this at a later time when (if) issues arise. Or pay the $1500 now to fix the rod bearing for peace of mind, and use extended warranty for any other related or unrelated issues that might arise.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2022, 08:32 PM   #10
J-DubM3///
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwx5er View Post
You're buying an extended warranty for peace of mind, so I wouldn't walk away. I'd ask vroom to contribute the $2500 towards the extended warranty and fix this at a later time when (if) issues arise. Or pay the $1500 now to fix the rod bearing for peace of mind, and use extended warranty for any other related or unrelated issues that might arise.
Update. Firstly, thank you everyone for the feedback. F85 community is great. A lot of consideration went into my ultimate approach.

I had my guys at Eurosport (great Indy) drop the pan and take the car apart. Thankfully, there were no additional metal materials in the pan, engine and cylinders were spotless, main bearings good- just wear on rod bearing 7. Pump chain tension and other elements checked while all accessible…My guys tell me the car is spotless otherwise and I'm seeing that in pictures as well. Zero scoring

Unfortunately, while the extended warranty I purchased does cover the parts and labor on this at 100%, it's 'too early' within the contract to cover. Diagnosed preexisting condition. Candidly, I understand their position and knew that was a likely outcome from the adjuster. As known, Vroom offered to cover about 65% of the repair cost and I knew I was at risk of covering the remaining ($1600), which I now am. That said, I'm getting my dream spec X5M, it's in great condition otherwise after deep inspection, has new rod bearings , a warranty that was easy to work with and will be in effect 60 days from now…36k to 96k/5 years. With proper care from an enthusiast including more frequent and higher quality oil changes, I'm thinking this beast will be solid.

I hope I don't eat my words but I'm very pleased with the result here so far and think I still have a winner. Thrilled to be in the f85 community…stayed tuned and thanks again.
9vapors651.50
slow_roll109.00
sly1types431.50
Surgx572.50
      03-08-2022, 09:07 PM   #11
Chilled
Major
Australia
Rep

That sounds like a good win.

Congrats, enjoy your new toy.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2023, 03:24 PM   #12
WZS_M
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 17' BSM X5M

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Update. Firstly, thank you everyone for the feedback. F85 community is great. A lot of consideration went into my ultimate approach.

I had my guys at Eurosport (great Indy) drop the pan and take the car apart. Thankfully, there were no additional metal materials in the pan, engine and cylinders were spotless, main bearings good- just wear on rod bearing 7. Pump chain tension and other elements checked while all accessible…My guys tell me the car is spotless otherwise and I'm seeing that in pictures as well. Zero scoring

Unfortunately, while the extended warranty I purchased does cover the parts and labor on this at 100%, it's 'too early' within the contract to cover. Diagnosed preexisting condition. Candidly, I understand their position and knew that was a likely outcome from the adjuster. As known, Vroom offered to cover about 65% of the repair cost and I knew I was at risk of covering the remaining ($1600), which I now am. That said, I'm getting my dream spec X5M, it's in great condition otherwise after deep inspection, has new rod bearings , a warranty that was easy to work with and will be in effect 60 days from now…36k to 96k/5 years. With proper care from an enthusiast including more frequent and higher quality oil changes, I'm thinking this beast will be solid.

I hope I don't eat my words but I'm very pleased with the result here so far and think I still have a winner. Thrilled to be in the f85 community…stayed tuned and thanks again.
how much did you pay for this X5M if you don't mind me asking?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2023, 12:37 AM   #13
suitedcboy
Cattlecar
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 50i MSport

I think you'll be fine since the cylinder inspection. The rod bearing fault is odd but if that had not been discovered it might have been a long time before it surfaced. That it is handled and crank is fine is a plus. How many of these cars are purchased and "ignorance is bliss" is the way it goes for several thousand miles and no warranty coverage. I am not trying to make you worry about the coverage you got with this car but with many extended warranties engine failures get sticky and they will push used engines and not agree to pay for inspection or peace of mind work before the "new" engine goes in. Enjoy the drive!
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2023, 08:58 AM   #14
J-DubM3///
Rep

Thanks guys. This thread is old and I PMd WZS on price of car.

Quick update for those interested- the engine has been great since RB replacement. I absolutely love this beast and I am so glad I hung onto the perfect spec I so desired. The warranty has actually been great as I had another (smaller) issue that they covered with no issue. Car runs great- I think it was a case of not frequent enough oil changes and poor oil choice. Everything running strong now
      02-25-2023, 12:47 PM   #15
musa
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F86, E92, E53, E39.

Quote:
Thanks guys. This thread is old and I PMd WZS on price of car.

... I think it was a case of not frequent enough oil changes and poor oil choice. ...
Thanks for the update. May I ask - what is your current oil change regimen and what oil are you using?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2023, 02:36 PM   #16
meds1976
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F16 X6 M50i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by musa View Post
Thanks for the update. May I ask - what is your current oil change regimen and what oil are you using?
Mine is a 2017 X50i and I change the oil every 5k miles (serviced by BMW). If I need to top up between intervals, I use Liqui Moly 3707 Top Tec 4200 5W-30.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2023, 08:09 AM   #17
Housekeeping
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

BMW May offer to pay upwards of 75% of this based on goodwill. I’d go that route.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0