BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-30-2023, 09:37 PM   #1
V i C
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M, 205 C63S, AMG GT-R

Folding mirrors

I’m sure this has been discussed at some point, and I”m sorry for asking this, but I can’t find a solution. I’ve a 2016 X5M and I just want to know if there’s a way to auto fold the mirrors or do it using the FOB.

Here’s what I’ve researched so far prior to posting:
  • -The manual, which says lock press and then short press to engage the mirrors to folding - which, obviously (or i wouldn’t be posting lol) doesn’t work
  • -Google search - hard to find the specific year. But tells me coding can do it. But when I look at the coding sheet it’s not clear that it does it. The phraseology is not clear to me. So, i’m not sure i want to invest the money in a obd2 port reader, and the other cost if it, at the end, is a dead end. Especially since i don’t have time to work on my own car, (in which case it’d be a useful investment for diagnosis and treatment) and so it would add much value.
  • - i went to the service center and asked them to code it. They said they don’t know why it’s not working and that there should be a option in the infotainment menu. Someone said they’d get backt to me and so far, after 4 days, squat.
  • -i tried a search in this forum. Nothing that directly answers my question.
So… if not for the manual… and a few posts online that are a bit ambiguous, and possible the coding, i’m thinking this can’t be done. Just wanted to hear if someone knows for sure.

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2023, 02:01 AM   #2
Chilled
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

Try setting mirror adjuster selection toggle is on the driver side. Plus in my case I found that I have to hold the close button (on door) for about 1sec(single press, not double) otherwise they don't close. If I just do a quick glancing swipe, the car will lock but the mirrors will stay open.

Also I do remember seen something in Bimmercode, I'm not 100% if I enabled it and I dont have access to the phone that has it on it.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2023, 03:29 AM   #3
kangfu84
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M

You can definitely code it in Bimmercode, that's what I did. It's in the comfort access settings I believe. There are settings for the folding mirrors, and to wind down windows and sun roof at varying levels of holding down the lock button on key fob or comfort access on the handle.

By default I think mine was set to a long press of about 4-5+ seconds, and I coded it to 'no delay' so it will fold everytime I press lock on the key fob, although it's not absolutely zero delay, maybe 0.5 seconds as you can still manage to lock the car without triggering the folding but you get used to how long you need to hold the button down.
Appreciate 1
      01-31-2023, 03:47 PM   #4
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Ditto..if you have the Bimmercode app...you can code the mirrors to fold. And as already mentioned, there are multiple coding options because you can also code in a delay so that you can lock/unlock the vehicle as well as roll down/up the windows or close/open the sunroof.

Since all the above is being done by pressing the buttons on the remote or the CA door handles...the ability to code in a delay for the various components helps if you want to only activates some features without having to activate all.

And as with Bimmercode...there is NO reason to guess or assume what can be coded...they list all the supported coding (as well as the module its in) right on their website...and you can select your model/platform which may have different coding parameters than other BMW models/model years.

Here's a direct link to the F15/F85 supported coding options...the list is alphabetical...just scroll down and click on the topic and you can see what can be coded and the control module where its located: https://bimmercode.app/cars/f15/

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 1
      01-31-2023, 04:19 PM   #5
Bobby_Drake
Major
Rep
Drives: '16 X5M

As mentioned, you can code with Bimmercode. I did it mine along with all the other stuff you can code (ie additional lights on the interior, soft close trunk, etc.)
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2023, 05:06 PM   #6
V i C
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks. Ill order the obd2 to ethernet and enet to iphone. Then pay the fees. I guess closing the trunk w fob ill program too. Then ill put it away to collect dust.

Perhaps i can return it after. Amazon takes most things back lol
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2023, 01:48 AM   #7
Chilled
Major
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by V i C View Post
Thanks. Ill order the obd2 to ethernet and enet to iphone. Then pay the fees. I guess closing the trunk w fob ill program too. Then ill put it away to collect dust.

You dont need to go the whole Enet+ rj45 to usb adapter thing. All you need is a full rate wifi adapter. Something like the modBMW, mhd ( black one, apparently they updated it to a newer universal red), don't get the THOR tho.

A Wifi dongle will work with bimmercode/link, most/all other phone apps. It will even allow you to connect your laptop to it and use ISTA/ESYS. If you are going to do cody stuff via esys/ista, do get the ENET cable.

Last edited by Chilled; 02-01-2023 at 01:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2023, 10:03 AM   #8
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

You really think that with all the coding parameters you can individualize...you're only going to do 2 or 3...then put it away to rest? You must not have clicked the link I provided in my post above as to ALL the things that are codeable on an f15/f85 X5.

Then there's the Bimmerlink app that does diagnostics and trouble code checking...all the things you can do with those two apps BimmerCode/BimmerLink...it won't be a waste of money as it appears to come across through your threads.

Then if you purchase another BMW at some point (or friends and family)...you can also be of help to them...unless you're not a sharer.

Or you may get tempted and try some of the many things you can code and decide you would like to go back to the original. Or you may have an issue that requires a module update by the dealer which could undo all of your coding. By having the app and the OBD dongle or e-cords...you can redo your coding without having to worry about it or pay someone to do it again.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 2
shimmy232350.00
      02-01-2023, 11:42 AM   #9
V i C
Enlisted Member
Rep

yes you guys are right. thanks for the tip about the adapter. i'll look for it on amazon. i saw the sheet at some point about what can be coded.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2023, 06:36 PM   #10
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
yes you guys are right. thanks for the tip about the adapter. i'll look for it on amazon. i saw the sheet at some point about what can be coded.
Most of the PDF spreadsheets have been removed. But if you bookmark the link in my post above to the Bimmercode website…it goes directly to the codeable parameters for the f15/f85 X5. The list is alphabetical…and if you click on the topic…it opens to give explanations of the coding parameter and the control module you’ll find it in.

The Bimmercode supported coding page is also helpful when there are two modules or two coding parameters that make things work like one wants.

Appreciate 0
      02-05-2023, 12:08 AM   #11
V i C
Enlisted Member
Rep

Chilled

You said “ modBMW, mhd ( black one“ where do i get this? Or the equivalent on amazon would be great.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2023, 08:44 PM   #12
Chilled
Major
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Chilled

You said “ modBMW, mhd ( black one“ where do i get this? Or the equivalent on amazon would be great.

Thanks
I couldn't find either amazon, I just ordered directly.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2023, 02:29 AM   #13
V i C
Enlisted Member
Rep

What is it called exactly? I’ll find a place to order it from
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2023, 03:05 AM   #14
Chilled
Major
Australia
Rep

Looks like the modBMW site is down atm.
https://modbmw.com/

The mhd is the new red universal, allot of places sell these.
https://mhdtuning.com/pages/mhd-wireless-adapter
https://burgertuning.com/products/mh...-flash-adapter
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2023, 01:34 PM   #15
V i C
Enlisted Member
Rep

very good. thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2023, 12:33 AM   #16
V i C
Enlisted Member
Rep

here we are again lol

ok i got all the stuff -mhc/beemerlink. my problem is such a first world problem.

for purposes of being clear let me define a few things in my mind (i understand they, in fact, be defined differently. in such case, use your or mine definition)

comfort access = behavior at the door handle(s)
remote access = behavior at the FOB/remote

i can't seem to code what i want, which is this:
i want the mirrors to fold in when i lock the car, using either locking method (above)
i don't want the sunroof visor to close
i want to be able to trigger the system to deactivate the motion sensor (dog in the car) when i want. i don't always have a pet.

i've played with all the the different convenience setting. but not found a way to get what i'm looking for.

can't seem to find a way to do this!

any ideas?

as always, thank you for reading my questions

vic
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2023, 09:07 AM   #17
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
i can't seem to code what i want, which is this:
(1) i want the mirrors to fold in when i lock the car, using either locking method (above)
(2) i don't want the sunroof visor to close
(3) i want to be able to trigger the system to deactivate the motion sensor (dog in the car) when i want. i don't always have a pet.

vic
First, #3 is already built into the cake. A simple 2nd press of your remote fob LOCK button (within 10 seconds of the 1st press)...will disable the IMS (interior motion sensor) and TILT sensor. The red status LED below the interior rearview mirror should give you a signal when that has been activated...its happens quick so you have to pay attention or be looking at the red clown nose.

Your 1st & 2nd requests are easily coded using your Bimmercode app. But you do have to make selections for all of the different parameters. Its not just a simple one click...you are asking the system to do MULTIPLE things so, you need to make multiple coding parameter selections for EACH of the operations you want. Remote control and CA are different functions, so they each have multiple parameters for what you want to open/close/fold etc.

The first request according to the supported coding info on the Bimmercode website reveals that you need to code TWO things in the BDC module...see info below about:
  1. fold mirrors w/convenient closing
  2. fold/unfold mirrors automatically

Your second request will probably require adding a DELAY to the sunroof so that it doesn't start to close when you press or press & hold the LOCK button. If you activated convenience open/convenience close...then you will also need to make selections for DELAY in regards to your windows & sunroof for the times that you are activating convenience close. Again, the Bimmercode website lists the coding parameters for convenience open/close for the remote and CA door handles...plus you will need to select a delay of sunroof w/convenience close to prevent it from operating as soon as you press the LOCK button:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0