BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-12-2021, 12:43 PM   #1
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Exclamation BMW Might Replace Your V8 For Free!

I suspected this was coming. Why BMW can not seem to get these engines and their engines and the respective cooling thereof correct, is beyond me... 🤔

Quote:
The N63 issue has been settled, but there are plenty of conditions.

BMW started things called the N63 Customer Loyalty Offer and the N63 Customer Appreciation Program way back in 2014. These came about as a result of N63 twin-turbo V8 engines (the first in the world with a "hot vee" turbocharger setup to be fitted to a production car) that used too much oil.

There were many bulletins and offers surrounding this fiasco, but the end result last we heard was a class-action lawsuit against the automaker. It has grown considerably since then, with the apparent lack of insulation from the hot turbos causing the excessive oil consumption. Whatever the reason, BMW has offered a settlement and it has received preliminary approval.
More details: https://carbuzz.com/news/bmw-settles...atic-v8-engine
      08-12-2021, 01:59 PM   #2
MizikeTSK
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 XDrive 50i MSport

Interesting, I've had about every gasket gasket replaced at different times trying to figure out the oil consumption. I would have to top off close to every 1k. It wasn't until an oil consumption test was done that they finally decided to replace my coils and plus and supposedly my turbos. I can now get 2-3k before the top off warning. I'm at 75k on the odo now so on the hook for 30% of the bill should I go the route of replacing the whole engine.
      12-07-2021, 01:13 PM   #3
JMAN1111
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F86 Black Fire X6M, F16 X6 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizikeTSK View Post
Interesting, I've had about every gasket gasket replaced at different times trying to figure out the oil consumption. I would have to top off close to every 1k. It wasn't until an oil consumption test was done that they finally decided to replace my coils and plus and supposedly my turbos. I can now get 2-3k before the top off warning. I'm at 75k on the odo now so on the hook for 30% of the bill should I go the route of replacing the whole engine.
Change the oil that's you're using.

Which engine do you have?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2021, 11:04 AM   #4
MizikeTSK
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 XDrive 50i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMAN1111 View Post

The dealer has been doing the oil changes for me since I had maint plan. Is the OEM oil junk? I also have the NT63TU engine.
      12-13-2021, 08:26 PM   #5
JMAN1111
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

The dealer has been doing the oil changes for me since I had maint plan. Is the OEM oil junk? I also have the NT63TU engine.
Quote:
Quote:

The oem oil is trash for our v8s. I'm using liqui moly 5w-40. It's way better. Not even close to oem oil.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2022, 09:26 PM   #6
jfandl
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 5.0 (F15) - BM3

I'm running Red Line 11505 15W50 Motor Oil in mine which seems to work well with much lower consumption than stock BMW oil. I was running Mobil 1 0w40 synthetic but it was using a lot more.
Mine is tuned and pushing 630 HP so I use the Redline for the Increased ZDDP and sheer force that this oil adds over off the shelf oil which is designed for fuel consumption, not engine life. I believe this would be an improvement even on a stock engine.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 01:32 PM   #7
bigshooter
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d xDrive

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

The oem oil is trash for our v8s. I'm using liqui moly 5w-40. It's way better. Not even close to oem oil.
My 5.0i always smells like burning oil after driving it hard. I and the dealer techs are both not able to find a leak anywhere. Someone here or on another forum suggested that it might be a tiny leak on a line somewhere that has been known to leak when it expands due to heat.

Would moving to a thicker oil help you think? I've been using 0w-30 Mobil 1 or Pennzoil. 5w-50 red line suggested by the guy above with the tuned X5 seems like a drastic change but I'm open to it. Mine is not tuned and just my wife's daily driver.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 02:07 PM   #8
JMAN1111
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshooter View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

My 5.0i always smells like burning oil after driving it hard. I and the dealer techs are both not able to find a leak anywhere. Someone here or on another forum suggested that it might be a tiny leak on a line somewhere that has been known to leak when it expands due to heat.

Would moving to a thicker oil help you think? I've been using 0w-30 Mobil 1 or Pennzoil. 5w-50 red line suggested by the guy above with the tuned X5 seems like a drastic change but I'm open to it. Mine is not tuned and just my wife's daily driver.
Yes it will definitely help unless you have a big leak. Make sure you check the timing case for leaks.

I'm running liqui moly molygen 5w40 in mine and it made a tremendous improvement. Give it a try I don't think you'll regret it. I also use the liqui moly engine flush at oil changes.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2022, 07:21 AM   #9
bigshooter
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Yes it will definitely help unless you have a big leak. Make sure you check the timing case for leaks.

I'm running liqui moly molygen 5w40 in mine and it made a tremendous improvement. Give it a try I don't think you'll regret it. I also use the liqui moly engine flush at oil changes.
I always went to a thinner oil in the winter. I think I will switch to this. Seen a few people saying they switched.

You have a 5.0i?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2022, 07:44 AM   #10
JMAN1111
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

I always went to a thinner oil in the winter. I think I will switch to this. Seen a few people saying they switched.

You have a 5.0i?
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

You have a 5.0i?
Yes 3 50i cars/engines 😂 and I use the oil in all 3 of them. No issues in any of them. The 2015 uses the most oil though about half a quart every 3k miles.

Way back when I had the bmw oil every 1,000
Miles was a nightmare. Engine wanted a top off of 2 quarts which I thought was ridiculous even if it's within bmws "spec". They care more about their cafe emissions more than our cars which really stinks.

I also recommend you get your injectors replaced if you haven't already under the factory extension of that item at the dealer. In addition, make sure you have changed your Sparkplugs.

The combination of this and a superior oil will definitely make a huge difference in the way your car performs.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2022, 12:15 PM   #11
bigshooter
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

You have a 5.0i?
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

You have a 5.0i?
Yes 3 50i cars/engines 😂 and I use the oil in all 3 of them. No issues in any of them. The 2015 uses the most oil though about half a quart every 3k miles.

Miles was a nightmare. Engine wanted a top off of 2 quarts which I thought was ridiculous even if it's within bmws "spec". They care more about their cafe emissions more than our cars which really stinks.

I also recommend you get your injectors replaced if you haven't already under the factory extension of that item at the dealer. In addition, make sure you have changed your Sparkplugs.

The combination of this and a superior oil will definitely make a huge difference in the way your car performs.
And changing from 0w-30 to 5w-40 really isn't an issue? I've never not run the oil the vehicle calls for under the hood…
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2022, 09:38 PM   #12
JMAN1111
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

You have a 5.0i?
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

You have a 5.0i?

And changing from 0w-30 to 5w-40 really isn't an issue? I've never not run the oil the vehicle calls for under the hood…
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

You have a 5.0i?
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

You have a 5.0i?

Not an issue at all! Our engines love it. Simply change it and you will see how smooth the engine will run. Again bmw is in for their best interest not yours. Ownership of a bmw requires a much different approach than how they take care of the cars under most 3 year leases.
Appreciate 0