BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-04-2022, 09:40 PM   #23
sly1types
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80M3 and E46M3

My pump failed at a little over 40k miles.
F85 X5M
https://www.instagram.com/fastmacm3/
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2022, 06:04 PM   #24
SaNGRia
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI E93 M3 + F85 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by sly1types View Post
Interesting. Would like to see how it looks like.
, F85 ACC Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2022, 06:20 PM   #25
sly1types
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80M3 and E46M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaNGRia View Post
Quote:
Interesting. Would like to see how it looks like.
It was trashed. For a few months before I would smell some coolant when it's parked in the garage. Then she was in a parking lot right down the street and it dumped all the coolant. Brought it home and was putting water in it and water was pouring out of the pump area. The shop said it destroyed, I think the bearing failed.
F85 X5M
https://www.instagram.com/fastmacm3/
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2022, 10:34 PM   #26
SaNGRia
Major
Rep

Quote:
It was trashed. For a few months before I would smell some coolant when it's parked in the garage. Then she was in a parking lot right down the street and it dumped all the coolant. Brought it home and was putting water in it and water was pouring out of the pump area. The shop said it destroyed, I think the bearing failed.
Yeah my bearing wasnt good either. But the casting also failed. Very rare but happened to us!

I spent total of 9h straight without removing the fan and radiator.
, F85 ACC Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2022, 07:44 PM   #27
ekological
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5

SaNGRia very interesting that you were able to drive the car hard while there was a warning. Last October or November, I went out to get lunch and while waiting in line to get gas, the cluster showed a warning about driving less aggressively to allow the car to cool down. Even then, my car entered limp mode and I was not able to put any power down whatsoever. I usually don't give the F85 in the northeast winters and used my e39m5 as the beater (it's already rusting, which is why I have reservations about driving a nice car in the salt) and my plan was to get the F85 on the lift in the spring. Spring came, I got busy with life and only just put the car up on the lift last night. You're right....it's very tight in there and bit daunting. How was the refilling/bleeding process once you got everything back together? I looked at the TIS and they had a video showing a fancy vacuum system to pull a vacuum and then flow coolant in. Needless to say, I don't have that.

BTW, my F85 is a '16 with 40k miles.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2022, 07:49 PM   #28
SaNGRia
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekological View Post
SaNGRia very interesting that you were able to drive the car hard while there was a warning. Last October or November, I went out to get lunch and while waiting in line to get gas, the cluster showed a warning about driving less aggressively to allow the car to cool down. Even then, my car entered limp mode and I was not able to put any power down whatsoever. I usually don't give the F85 in the northeast winters and used my e39m5 as the beater (it's already rusting, which is why I have reservations about driving a nice car in the salt) and my plan was to get the F85 on the lift in the spring. Spring came, I got busy with life and only just put the car up on the lift last night. You're right....it's very tight in there and bit daunting. How was the refilling/bleeding process once you got everything back together? I looked at the TIS and they had a video showing a fancy vacuum system to pull a vacuum and then flow coolant in. Needless to say, I don't have that.

BTW, my F85 is a '16 with 40k miles.
I thought this is a rare case but i have seen at least 5 people who had failed Water Pump and this is just i know of. Who knows how many failed without shared on forums. And Yeah its a very tedious job and i thought it is the hardest thing to do on this vehicle till couple days ago i was trying to remove the driver side downpipe. And realized that is the most hardest thing in the world i have ever done so far

But anyhow, i havent done any fancy vacumming like it was mentioned on TIS. I also read that as well. Instead, i filled the reservoir with the BMW coolant then while the cap is off i turned on Electric coolant pumps like 3 times to cycle the coolant. And i added as it needed. Since then i am good and 0 issue.
, F85 ACC Retrofit

Last edited by SaNGRia; 12-19-2022 at 04:51 PM..
Appreciate 2
      11-28-2022, 10:19 AM   #29
Eunoterpsia
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomeoXantos View Post
Can anyone confirm if this pump works?
I hope this can be confirmed as one way or another you’d think we would all be replacing the pump - ideally before a catastrophic failure while on a family road trip.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2022, 01:37 PM   #30
Choptop
Auto Lover
Rep
Drives: 2017Cadillac CtsVsport

[QUOTE=ekological;27818918]Glad you found the issue! But man, at 34k miles and 3-4 years old, that corrosion looks scary! People laugh when I still have my '02 M5 beater to drive in the winter. It wasn't worth it to me to drive my new to me '16 X5M all year long starting two years ago when I purchased it.[/QUOTE

Exactly, shopping and looking at the spring, after the Wi. winter is over, to buy. But my daily drivers, '17 Cts Vsport, 2001 Prowler spend the winters in the garage as will the X5m.
Appreciate 0