BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-30-2022, 08:01 PM   #1
SaNGRia
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI E93 M3 + F85 X5M

(100%) OEM Muffler Mode + Custom CF Tips (DIY)

Hello guys,

I have done the Oem Muffler Mode + CF Tip installation. I can tell you this that Muffler looks 3K worth, Lookwise and soundwise.

I will share the steps so you can also DIY .

One of the hardest part of the project was removing the most awkward design tips. They are welded and Oe tips needs to be cutted. After that you have welding mess around which needs to be grinded. After that you can use band saw to cut within 5 min.

What i found helpful is to use a zip tie to mark your cutting points. The points i marked are based on the inner diameter of my Tips. They are few mm more sticking out than oem tips but looks definitely larger than the oem tips.

Opening the box pretty easy. Try to cut the top part closer to edges. Do not go all the way end otherwise you will be cutting the inner piece which is not advised. I cut from 3 point. If i would do it again i would cut from 4 corner and take the piece out so i wouldnt have to bend back and align again.

As a note, Each perforated pipe double sided. One on the top, the other one on the bottom. Instead of cutting the both top and bottom of the muffler, i have done something better which i got the idea from someone on the forum but i dont know his handle so i cant tag him but i do know he has an X6m

So what i did is, i cut the perforated part and reach at the bottom side. Then i welded proper size pieces there then welded another piece on the top part.

After that i closed the box with my terrible welding skill, But hey it was my first time and it did the JOB!

After all i painted the box in black with a little touch :

https://youtube.com/shorts/v3ZrcxlOTZM?feature=share

https://youtube.com/shorts/X6SdH5fIsHA?feature=share

And After that it turned into this :

https://youtube.com/shorts/Qlo5L_xqxDk?feature=share

https://youtube.com/shorts/MmrPHMnFKl8?feature=share

https://youtube.com/shorts/WYWhioksqtE?feature=share

I do produce this Tips and they are specifically made for F85 X5M and F86 X6M. These are 1 of 1 in the market for 2 reason.

1- They have hidden upwards clamps which is not visible when you look under the vehicle.

2- They also have a slanted option just like Factory cut. And can be purchased here

Final Results :

Another OEM+ mode succesfully done. Enjoy!
, F85 ACC Retrofit

Last edited by SaNGRia; 05-31-2022 at 08:07 PM..
Appreciate 7
      05-30-2022, 08:28 PM   #2
islandman
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 X6M F86

Well done.
Looks and sounds great!
Appreciate 1
SaNGRia986.00
      05-30-2022, 10:14 PM   #3
SaNGRia
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandman View Post
Well done.
Looks and sounds great!
Definitely looks super classy and sounds just as good as it looks. Worth every minute and penny i spent.
, F85 ACC Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2022, 10:02 PM   #4
VETTEPRO
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M Comp, Grigio Telesto

I did exactly the same thing, including the tips, on my 2016. I liked it better than a number of aftermarket ones I've heard. I like it better than the Dinan I have on my 2017..
The one thing that I think makes these cars sound better is an X-pipe. I welded an x-pipe in both of mine. It's well worth doing.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2022, 12:09 AM   #5
SaNGRia
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VETTEPRO View Post
I did exactly the same thing, including the tips, on my 2016. I liked it better than a number of aftermarket ones I've heard. I like it better than the Dinan I have on my 2017..
The one thing that I think makes these cars sound better is an X-pipe. I welded an x-pipe in both of mine. It's well worth doing.
Excellent. Do you have any hiccups from the Xpipe?
, F85 ACC Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2022, 08:15 AM   #6
VETTEPRO
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M Comp, Grigio Telesto

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaNGRia View Post
Excellent. Do you have any hiccups from the Xpipe?
None. It has a smoother, more exotic sound. It also takes a little bit of raspiness off it.
I'm thinking about taking my Dinan off and opening it up to do something similar.
I also just did the same thing on my C8 Corvette. I added similar CF tips as well.
I do it all the time on C6 Z06 Corvettes at my shop.
Actually, the x-pipe I used came off my C7 Z06. It lines up perfectly.
Appreciate 1
SaNGRia986.00
      06-01-2022, 11:27 AM   #7
Blue By You
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB X5M F85

Looks and sounds great!

I wish I had someone local who could do all of this for me. Minus the exhaust mod, I might have my muffler/pipes and bumper heat shields painted black (maybe with the M logo like you did) so that the aluminum look is minimized.
Appreciate 1
SaNGRia986.00
      06-01-2022, 03:36 PM   #8
SaNGRia
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue By You View Post
Looks and sounds great!

I wish I had someone local who could do all of this for me. Minus the exhaust mod, I might have my muffler/pipes and bumper heat shields painted black (maybe with the M logo like you did) so that the aluminum look is minimized.
Find someone local, i am sure they can do it. The OEM muffler i had unfortunately wasnt in great shape due to car was driven in Canada and NY for 25K mileage. It wasnt rusty but wasnt like shiny either. Blacking out made a huge difference. I used Grill paint which is good up to 1200F FYI.

M logo looks super classy not like ratchet. I strongly suggest you to do it. I used a small caliper sticker which was bigger than my OEM caliper logo and was laying around. Good thing was each piece of that logo was precut. What i did is i placed each strap with a distance so after painted it will show each stripe properly.
, F85 ACC Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2022, 03:38 PM   #9
SaNGRia
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VETTEPRO View Post
None. It has a smoother, more exotic sound. It also takes a little bit of raspiness off it.
I'm thinking about taking my Dinan off and opening it up to do something similar.
I also just did the same thing on my C8 Corvette. I added similar CF tips as well.
I do it all the time on C6 Z06 Corvettes at my shop.
Actually, the x-pipe I used came off my C7 Z06. It lines up perfectly.
That is good know know. I will look into X Pipe welding option. As far as tip goes, if u re welding them then it looks OEM, if u re using all other Tips, they show the Clamp on downside which is why i created my version and it is hidden. The reason i did this for people who want to DIY and wants to see clean look just like welded but without welded!
, F85 ACC Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2022, 08:06 PM   #10
88bimmer
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 50i f85 x5m

Quote:
Hello guys,

I have done the Oem Muffler Mode + CF Tip installation. I can tell you this that Muffler looks 3K worth, Lookwise and soundwise.

I will share the steps so you can also DIY .

One of the hardest part of the project was removing the most awkward design tips. They are welded and Oe tips needs to be cutted. After that you have welding mess around which needs to be grinded. After that you can use band saw to cut within 5 min.

What i found helpful is to use a zip tie to mark your cutting points. The points i marked are based on the inner diameter of my Tips. They are few mm more sticking out than oem tips but looks definitely larger than the oem tips.

Opening the box pretty easy. Try to cut the top part closer to edges. Do not go all the way end otherwise you will be cutting the inner piece which is not advised. I cut from 3 point. If i would do it again i would cut from 4 corner and take the piece out so i wouldnt have to bend back and align again.

As a note, Each perforated pipe double sided. One on the top, the other one on the bottom. Instead of cutting the both top and bottom of the muffler, i have done something better which i got the idea from someone on the forum but i dont know his handle so i cant tag him but i do know he has an X6m

So what i did is, i cut the perforated part and reach at the bottom side. Then i welded proper size pieces there then welded another piece on the top part.

After that i closed the box with my terrible welding skill, But hey it was my first time and it did the JOB!

After all i painted the box in black with a little touch :

https://youtube.com/shorts/v3ZrcxlOTZM?feature=share

https://youtube.com/shorts/X6SdH5fIsHA?feature=share

And After that it turned into this :

https://youtube.com/shorts/Qlo5L_xqxDk?feature=share

https://youtube.com/shorts/MmrPHMnFKl8?feature=share

https://youtube.com/shorts/WYWhioksqtE?feature=share

I do produce this Tips and they are specifically made for F85 X5M and F86 X6M. These are 1 of 1 in the market for 2 reason.

1- They have hidden upwards clamps which is not visible when you look under the vehicle.

2- They also have a slanted option just like Factory cut. And can be purchased [COLOR="Blue"]here[/COLOR]

Final Results :

Another OEM+ mode succesfully done. Enjoy!
Looks good , What size the CF tips? 3.25" ? Do you have the link for purchase, thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2022, 12:05 AM   #11
SaNGRia
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfeverny View Post
Looks good , What size the CF tips? 3.25" ? Do you have the link for purchase, thanks
Thank you. Those re 3.66 inch. I have shared the link above. But here it is
, F85 ACC Retrofit
Appreciate 1
      06-02-2022, 02:23 PM   #12
88bimmer
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 50i f85 x5m

Quote:
Quote:
Thank you. Those re 3.66 inch. I have shared the link above. But [COLOR="DarkOrange"]here[/COLOR] it is
3.66 inlet or outlet
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2022, 06:42 PM   #13
SaNGRia
Major
Rep

Quote:
3.66 inlet or outlet
It is the CF Tip outer diameter!
, F85 ACC Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2022, 10:03 AM   #14
DMV_M3
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, E46 M3

Does this maintain the exhaust flap functionality?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2022, 11:50 AM   #15
SaNGRia
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMV_M3 View Post
Does this maintain the exhaust flap functionality?
Yes, you cut from the tip of the muffler pipe. Flap function way behind this. You can see in the picture where the actuators located actually.
, F85 ACC Retrofit
Appreciate 0