BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW X5 and X6 Forum (F15/F16) > BMW X5 (F15) and BMW X6 (F16) Forum > BMW X5 and X6 (F15/F16) Forum

05-24-2023, 05:23 AM   #1
andyjeffries
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 xDrive30d M Sport

Upgrading iDrive firmware on a modern Apple device

I recently had an experience with one of the often recommended companies/people on here that upgrade iDrive firmware (for full screen Apple CarPlay). I won't name and shame them, but eventually ended up raising a dispute with PayPal for a refund - which I received in full. They weren't willing to upgrade the system using a virtual machine on a Mac. I had a really old Windows laptop (running Vista!) which fit the advertised requirements of "Windows Laptop", but after paying for their service they said it was too old. I offered to use a VM running Windows 10 to do it, but they were unwilling to use a VM.

Then I found MAK Coding (https://www.makcoding.co.uk) online and they said that they'd be happy to use a VM. They did a test connection with me a couple of days before to make sure everything worked fine. And it did and now I'm all upgraded and loving full-width CarPlay life (and iDrive 6 UI)!

So for anyone else considering this and having a recent Apple computer, I wanted to quickly state my setup...

I have an Apple Macbook Pro M1 Max. I ran a Parallels (free trial) VM using Windows 10 (didn't need to download anything separately, they have a wizard in the software that downloads the latest version of Windows for you). This was an "arm64" build of Windows 10, but Windows 10 arm64 will run x86 (regular Intel chip) software too. It ran all the software MAK required just fine (Teamviewer, esys, etc). I needed the following hardware items too (not kickback links, just the items I used so can verify that they worked fine):

It finished in the normal time that MAK Coding say it should take to upgrade, so wasn't slowed down at all by running from a VM.

Overall really happy with MAK and glad I could get it sorted out without needing to buy a new laptop!

Last edited by andyjeffries; 06-01-2023 at 10:22 AM..
Appreciate 1
cfm56d7b5902.00