BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-16-2018, 07:59 AM   #23
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

I sympathize w/ your reaction - I also find myself with a knee-jerk negativity to the pomp and grandstanding that seems to surround some events. But after reflection, I'd also agree with most of the dissenters above, so it's a complicated issue.

For me, it is more about the 'spotlight' phenomenon, where a lot of attention on one area blunts recognition of others. For example, my initial reactions:
-who is valorizing all the firefighters and police (and EMT's, CPS workers, etc. etc.) who are out there putting themselves in harms way in some no-name rural county or city. Especially the volunteer FD's - if they aren't today's real heroes I don't know who is.
-why isn't there a trailer-tour emblazoned with something like "Lets cover the first responders' medical costs" - I worry that the feelgood of the remembrance can obscure the fact that our government has been literally fighting with those responders over paying for their presumptive medical costs. Kind of hypocritical to glorify their altruistic sacrifice and then nickel and dime them over cancer care.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2018, 09:14 AM   #24
EnVe46
Major
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 LeMansBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell1 View Post
Now that's out of the way.

It's always struck me as strange that we Americans can't forgive and forget ANYTHING. We have to dedicate all sorts of things to remembering the bad things that have happened to the nation, it's people (white and black only) and it's women (sorry guys).

This rig is in my local area this week:
https://www.facebook.com/NeverForget...?fref=mentions

Makes me wonder what would happen if what's left of the Sioux Indians would make a similar trailer and go from town to town? (1862 uprising if you're not familiar with it)
Would they receive the same open arms and jubilee? (hell no)

Yes it was a horrible day, no one will deny that ... fuck you conspiracy nutjobs. A life lost is a life lost, by whos hands is irrelevant.
The thing I dislike most is the amount of hatred towards human life it's brought out in this nation, and other nations. I hate no one. I don't wish death on anyone, ever. I believe in rehabilitation and that love conquers all. Naive as it may be, I'm going to stick to it.

If anyone's been to Japan, do they have a remembrance day for August 6th or 9th? (A: no)
Then why do we? It just makes no sense to me. Progress demands you move on. For the vast majority of US citizens, there was no direct impact to your life from the acts of 9/11. Yet many act as thought the was, that the lost people they knew and loved. The didn't. It's been beat into their heads so often that they think they knew people, similar to how they cry when some actor dies in a tv show; it's not real, you don't know them dummy.
Are we really that simple minded? (A: yes)

Shit like this trailer just bugs me. I see it as a way to keep the hatred and secular nationalism ball rolling. Using others sadness to drum up dollars for bombs.
Cool story.

In reality, 9/11 brought this nation together more so than splitting us apart. Remember seeing pictures of people of all colors, nationalities, religions covered in the same dust as the towers collapsed? Remember all the volunteers coming from all around the country and world? Remember... the list goes on. You can look at things in a negative light or a positive one. We SHOULD remember 9/11 simply because on that day, it didn't matter if you're white or black, republican or democrat, christian or muslim. Everyone in the US was a target. Set aside remembering those who lost their lives and those who jumped into those buildings to save lives. We must remember the pain we felt, not because we knew someone or not. Those were our brothers and sisters. Thats the thought of remembering 9/11. That day is a day of unity within this country. Did it spark some not so great things by some bad individuals, sparking racism? Yup. Cant fix stupid. You bring a 9/11 trailer through towns and cities and everyone forgets about the petty shit we argue about cause it brings down the bullshit and puts life in reality.

Im an insensitive prick just like you. But, I see 9/11 in a much different light.
cmyx6go15573.50
      08-16-2018, 10:47 AM   #25
Sea-Tac
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2108 X3 xDrive30i

Garage List
Note to iminhell1

I couldn't have said it better. I agree with the title of your post. You're an insensitive prick.
Appreciate 0