BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-19-2022, 08:54 AM   #1
MBoss_F86
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X6M

Defoulers for catless downpipes

Hello, I have to install catless downpipes on my F86 and can someone please give me a link for defoulers that will work with emissions? I live in NY and we have to pass emissions to get NYS inspection.

thank you!
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2022, 08:07 PM   #2
J0hnnyB0yx5m
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M

I have set for sale
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2022, 08:45 PM   #3
Chilled
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

If the tester is not a complete gumby, he will be able to smell that you are catless.

Also you know that those thing are not a permanent fix. They still will trigger a CEL warning within like 30mil
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2022, 06:49 AM   #4
J0hnnyB0yx5m
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilled View Post
If the tester is not a complete gumby, he will be able to smell that you are catless.

Also you know that those thing are not a permanent fix. They still will trigger a CEL warning within like 30mil
Exactly y I don't use them
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2022, 08:29 AM   #5
S EyeLand
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5C

I am the resident catless expert for NY. Get the BM3 or Velos tune. You can fail one readiness and still pass. The tune will suppress the CEL, you'll fail one readiness and still pass emissions.
Appreciate 2
9vapors651.50
Nexo13.00
      08-21-2022, 12:05 AM   #6
Chilled
Major
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by S EyeLand View Post
I am the resident catless expert for NY. Get the BM3 or Velos tune. You can fail one readiness and still pass. The tune will suppress the CEL, you'll fail one readiness and still pass emissions.
Ok expert, I'll bite. How do you pass an emissions test without a cat? Do they like use telepathy or measure the gas output from a different postcode?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2022, 12:39 AM   #7
MBoss_F86
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I can turn off CEL using MHD tune, I just want defoulers so monitors will be ready to pass emissions

Last edited by MBoss_F86; 08-21-2022 at 09:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2022, 01:11 AM   #8
Djhumvee
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 50i

Quote:
Ok expert, I'll bite. How do you pass an emissions test without a cat? Do they like use telepathy or measure the gas output from a different postcode?
Hes talking about passing emissions via OBD hookup to the inspection machine, the machine will pass you. If your inspector knows that there is indeed no cat that would be a different story.
Appreciate 2
9vapors651.50
Nexo13.00
      08-21-2022, 09:11 PM   #9
S EyeLand
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
You played yourself.

On-Board Diagnostic Tests: Licensed New York emissions testing facilities will administer an ODBII test on most motor vehicles made in the 1996 model year or later. The OBDII system installed in U.S. manufactured vehicles made in the 1996 and newer model years is a mechanical issue early-warning system. The system records the vehicle’s performance by administering a specific kind of test referred to as a “Monitor”. Certain monitors test a vehicle’s primary emissions components and subsystems. While the key is in the ignition and the engine is off, a test technician will make sure the vehicle’s DLC (Data Link Connector) works properly. Then, the test technician hooks an emissions diagnostic tool up to your vehicle’s DLC using a cable to allow the technician’s diagnostic tool to communicate with the vehicle’s OBD II system. New York test personnel can check your vehicle’s engine and emissions systems, and see if any monitors state a “Not Ready” status. The test personnel can complete the test in around 2 minutes.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2022, 09:12 PM   #10
S EyeLand
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djhumvee View Post
Hes talking about passing emissions via OBD hookup to the inspection machine, the machine will pass you. If your inspector knows that there is indeed no cat that would be a different story.
He jumped the gun and got nasty. Not sure why, prob a little guy.
Appreciate 1
      08-21-2022, 09:28 PM   #11
S EyeLand
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The inspector won't care. I had a complete ahole do my last inspection. Took the tire gauge out to measure my tread on new tires lol. He was ball breaking like a clown the whole time and still passed me. Most other places have the kid in the shop hook up the OBD and do the tests, they are almost always on auto pilot.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2022, 01:22 AM   #12
Chilled
Major
Australia
Rep

Quote:
You played yourself.

On-Board Diagnostic Tests: Licensed New York emissions testing facilities will administer an ODBII test on most motor vehicles made in the 1996 model year or later. The OBDII system installed in U.S. manufactured vehicles made in the 1996 and newer model years is a mechanical issue early-warning system. The system records the vehicle’s performance by administering a specific kind of test referred to as a “Monitor”. Certain monitors test a vehicle’s primary emissions components and subsystems. While the key is in the ignition and the engine is off, a test technician will make sure the vehicle’s DLC (Data Link Connector) works properly. Then, the test technician hooks an emissions diagnostic tool up to your vehicle’s DLC using a cable to allow the technician’s diagnostic tool to communicate with the vehicle’s OBD II system. New York test personnel can check your vehicle’s engine and emissions systems, and see if any monitors state a “Not Ready” status. The test personnel can complete the test in around 2 minutes.
Oh no the shame, the embarrassment, how will I go on.

Sorry I'm not an expert on American/NY. I am used to Regulations been useful/functional and not a circle jerk waist of time. ie. Emissions tests, that actually test said emissions.

Question is the examiner in a cost optimized offshore region? Seems like a waist having them local if all they do is plug in an OBD cable and hit scan.

Quote:
He jumped the gun and got nasty. Not sure why, prob a little guy.
Nope, just took you up on your offer of the self imposed "expert" title.

Calling yourself an expert is painting a bullseye on your back and inviting everyone to take a shot.

Last edited by Chilled; 08-22-2022 at 03:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2022, 09:33 AM   #13
S EyeLand
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Oh no the shame, the embarrassment, how will I go on.

Sorry I'm not an expert on American/NY. I am used to Regulations been useful/functional and not a circle jerk waist of time. ie. Emissions tests, that actually test said emissions.

Question is the examiner in a cost optimized offshore region? Seems like a waist having them local if all they do is plug in an OBD cable and hit scan.

Nope, just took you up on your offer of the self imposed "expert" title.

Calling yourself an expert is painting a bullseye on your back and inviting everyone to take a shot.
It's not self-proclaimed. I've helped countless members pass, volunteering my time and experience. I'm just helpful and not a nasty person. I even took the time to advise YOU on the installation, check your post history. Messed up bro.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2022, 05:49 PM   #14
Chilled
Major
Australia
Rep

Quote:
It's not self-proclaimed. I've helped countless members pass, volunteering my time and experience. I'm just helpful and not a nasty person. I even took the time to advise YOU on the installation, check your post history. Messed up bro.
Yeah, ok my bad. I'll take the knee on this one. In all fairness, with you. It's getting hard to keep track.

I work in IT and usually the minute someone introduces themselves as an expert. That is an instant massive gumby flag, yet to meet 1 person who isn't.

So the no testing for actual gas levels, is that a US thing or just NYC?

But to OP's point, if all he needs to do is pass via OBD. Wouldn't all he would need to do is, reset the CEL/o2 error in the carpark. Before he hands the car over for inspection? Shouldn't the stock o2 last the inspection period without tripping the error?

Last edited by Chilled; 08-22-2022 at 05:55 PM..
Appreciate 1
9vapors651.50
      08-22-2022, 08:13 PM   #15
Djhumvee
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, ok my bad. I'll take the knee on this one. In all fairness, with you. It's getting hard to keep track.

I work in IT and usually the minute someone introduces themselves as an expert. That is an instant massive gumby flag, yet to meet 1 person who isn't.

So the no testing for actual gas levels, is that a US thing or just NYC?

But to OP's point, if all he needs to do is pass via OBD. Wouldn't all he would need to do is, reset the CEL/o2 error in the carpark. Before he hands the car over for inspection? Shouldn't the stock o2 last the inspection period without tripping the error?
No because all your monitors will be down you're only allowed 1 monitor to be off/not ready. So I guess with a tune that turns off the secondary O2's you would be good to go as long as all your other monitors are up and running. Some states like California I believe physically test the smog but NY just hooks up the OBD2
Appreciate 1
9vapors651.50
      08-23-2022, 05:50 AM   #16
jcm3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M, 07 911 TT

Quote:
No becuase if you reset the ecu it can take a few long driving cycles (and many miles) to set the readiness on the other systems that get checked (e.g. O2 function, Secondary A.I.R., EGR functions, & EVAP system).
Appreciate 1
Chilled363.50
      08-23-2022, 11:51 AM   #17
MasterP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: All the M's

O2 spacer with Mini catalyst.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2022, 01:14 PM   #18
Djhumvee
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterP View Post
I think that mini catalyst is a scam lol, exhaust has to flow through a catalyst to heat it up and burn, so that mini cat on the 02 spacer I can't see ever really doing anything.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2022, 03:02 PM   #19
MasterP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: All the M's

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterP View Post
I think that mini catalyst is a scam lol, exhaust has to flow through a catalyst to heat it up and burn, so that mini cat on the 02 spacer I can't see ever really doing anything.
That makes sense and You may be right. Still solved my problem though!
Appreciate 1
      08-24-2022, 05:41 AM   #20
Chilled
Major
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm3 View Post
No becuase if you reset the ecu it can take a few long driving cycles (and many miles) to set the readiness on the other systems that get checked (e.g. O2 function, Secondary A.I.R., EGR functions, & EVAP system).
Did not know that. Thought an error clear in, would just clear the error.

Is this the same for ISTA and a scan tool or it does not matter?
Appreciate 1
      08-24-2022, 05:53 AM   #21
jcm3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M, 07 911 TT

When it comes to the US emissions readiness check i do not know of any way to clear them and have them automatically set for ready. Some of the parameters set quickly and some take longer (i.e. evap montor)
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2022, 08:39 AM   #22
MBoss_F86
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

My mechanic said he will pass inspection as long as there is no CEL. And I can turn it off using MHD tune. He also said defoulers are hit and miss with emissions. I am all set. Thanks a lot guys
Appreciate 0