BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-21-2014, 06:41 PM   #1
jeffcck
Enjoying Everyday Life ~~
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 325i

No more BMW for me !!!

I was trying to get a X5 35i quote from a local dealership last month, but they said "no" because I am on some kind of export list. They asked me to contact BMW to solve the problem.

I called BMW and sent them all the information they asked for few weeks ago. It's been almost a month, I got the same answer every time I called. "We need more time to investigate and we are working on it". I have no idea why it takes so long to review my file and they refused to let me talk to the manager who handles my case.

They called me two days ago and told me they will have the result next day. BUT didn't even get a call from them yesterday and today. I called them 30 mins ago and told them forget it, I will move on to some other brands. I am a big fan of BMW, but looks like BMW doesn't want me to be their customers !!!!

I am really mad about the whole "export" list, and tired of calling every other day. One time they even mentioned that because I am a potential exporter, but the last vehicle I purchased was back in 2006. How do an exporter make money if they only export one car in 8 year !!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 06:51 PM   #2
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X

I had to sign an agreement not to export within a year otherwise a $20k fee. I think USA is the cheapest market. Europe and Asia the BMW's are much more costly, I assume mainly due to local tariffs. You could try a relatives name, i.e. spouse.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 07:01 PM   #3
jeffcck
United_States
Rep

Not even close to that process "sign an agreement" yet.

I am really disappointed on how BMW handles it.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 08:23 PM   #4
jdfw75
Rep
Drives: 2008 E70 X5 Sport

Availability

I was told that China was why so few 14 X5s and specifically X5 5.0i vehicles were being sold in the US market. With the Chinese paying 2 and 3x the price, most all of the assembly allocations are being reserved for exports!
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 01:59 AM   #5
jeffcck
United_States
Rep

They called me back today and said someone has the same name as mine is on the export list. That's the reason I become a "potential exporter" too !!!

This is ridiculous, I am not allow to buy a BMW because someone's name is same as mine who exported a car before.

BMW, how about stop selling cars to all Chinese people in US because they are all "potential exportersssss"
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 08:45 AM   #6
Chio
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Comp Xdrive

Garage List
2018 S6  [10.00]
I know a couple of guys on this list! back a couple of years ago they were buy all the X5 up and moving them over seas! but they were only blocked from buying x5's !
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 10:10 AM   #7
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
I didn't even know such thing existed. Well you can try to have a friend buy it for you, and turn around and sell it to you.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 02:36 PM   #8
GSAL55
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 2016 340i xDrive Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffcck View Post
They called me back today and said someone has the same name as mine is on the export list. That's the reason I become a "potential exporter" too !!!

This is ridiculous, I am not allow to buy a BMW because someone's name is same as mine who exported a car before.

BMW, how about stop selling cars to all Chinese people in US because they are all "potential exportersssss"
That's one dealership bro. Doesn't mean another dealership would be the same way. What would throw up a red flag is if you order a really odd base combination or if you order more than one or suggest that you're ordering a fleet of them. I'd suggest before moving on, call another dealership and see what they say. The new X5 is amazing!
MEDITERRANEAN BLUE METALLIC W/ BLACK NEVADA LEATHER & OYSTER HIGHLIGHT | SPORT PACKAGE | SPORT AUTOMATIC | HARMAN KARDON | PREMIUM PACKAGE | TECHNOLOGY PACKAGE | DRIVER ASSISTANCE PACKAGE | LIGHTING PACKAGE | CARBON FIBER M SPORT LIP SPOILER | BLACK KIDNEY GRILLES | BADGES OFF
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 02:38 PM   #9
GSAL55
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 2016 340i xDrive Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by positiveions View Post
I didn't even know such thing existed. Well you can try to have a friend buy it for you, and turn around and sell it to you.
That'd drive the value down due to more than one owner - I just suggest he call another dealership. There is an exporter list and most BMWs that are exported are X5 and X6. If you KNOWINGLY sell a BMW to an exporter you could lose your dealership license and face heavy fines. You'd have to do it on three separate occasions in order for that to happen.
MEDITERRANEAN BLUE METALLIC W/ BLACK NEVADA LEATHER & OYSTER HIGHLIGHT | SPORT PACKAGE | SPORT AUTOMATIC | HARMAN KARDON | PREMIUM PACKAGE | TECHNOLOGY PACKAGE | DRIVER ASSISTANCE PACKAGE | LIGHTING PACKAGE | CARBON FIBER M SPORT LIP SPOILER | BLACK KIDNEY GRILLES | BADGES OFF
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 04:07 PM   #10
sl0westz
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW e92 m3 ess vt1. AW F10 m5

same thing happened to me when i was planning on a mb ml350 for the wife... after paying a deposit on a car.. they called me and told me they can not sell me a car because im on the " exporter list" and i explained to them i have never owned a mb in my life and this is my first time purchasing a mb. they told me to contact mb customer service... and i did.. customer service took my ssn, past and current address... took forever to get back at me and told me it's the same name .... but i told them forget it i went and bought her a x5 instead...
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 07:22 PM   #11
jeffcck
United_States
Rep

Same thing with another dealership. No idea why it takes so long to solve the problem.

Anyway, I don't want to get the ML350. More interested in the Porsche Macan.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 01:59 PM   #12
BMWMico
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 30e

It is in the news:

http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2014/02/...ype=blogs&_r=0
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 02:42 PM   #13
wdimagineer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 M

I'm not on the export list, but this whole thing was one of the reasons a dealer in the SF Bay Area didn't want to do a courtesy delivery for me. Instead, I have to "take delivery" from the selling dealer back East and wait for it to come to me on a truck. It probably added another week or so.