Quote:
Originally Posted by pachieh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunternight5 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehloo View Post
Paid like 1600 for it. Don't remember. Got a slight discount as an early adopter. Think I was the second set on the chassis. Out of all the mods and money spent on the car this and the KW were the best money spent

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunternight5 View Post
How much did u pay for the rk intakes
Damn kinda pricy for intakes might just go with DINAN it's around 1200
Lol yup. Even the dinan isn't worth the $1100. All you're paying for is the CF not performance.
Not necessarily true. I forget the name of the thread here, but someone put the Dinan on a flowbench and has hard numbers that it flows significantly more than stock. 571 vs 451 CFM difference. So in a pair, that's 1142 vs 902 CFM (nearly 20% difference). Now that isn't to say there's a huge performance gain, but it's data to show that Dinan is more than just CF.

I don't think he put RK on the flowbench as he doesn't have any to test...

https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...ight=flowbench
First yes I'm well aware of that thread and have posted in it many times and if I'm not mistaken I'm actually the last person to post in it so thanks.... second please look up the definition of an exaggeration. I'm well aware that the filters are larger and technically flow more air than oem. That's the nature of them being larger.

But again for like the 3rd time, I'm simply saying the performance gain is quite minimal and the $1200 is thus mostly for the CF dressing vs performance change. And the RK is even worse in that respect although much better looking IMO.

This whole discussion should just be your budget. If you can afford to drop over $2k for the RK then do it. It's closer to a "cold air intake" as you're gonna get. If you can't and must have an intake for the "sound" then dinan is your only other option for $1200 for 2 filters and a new top to the oem air box that's simply taller to fit the larger filters and made of CF.

I'm out cuz this is getting too lost in translation. GL OP! Sorry to confuse everyone.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 1
      10-01-2018, 01:48 PM   #24
Skilly
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5 M Sport

Is it possible to use the Dinan filters with the stock box? The CF cover seems like a waste of $1,000.00 - the filters by themselves are $250.00.
Appreciate 1
      10-01-2018, 03:18 PM   #25
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90M5,F85X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skilly View Post
Is it possible to use the Dinan filters with the stock box? The CF cover seems like a waste of $1,000.00 - the filters by themselves are $250.00.
No. Not enough room.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2018, 03:41 PM   #26
Skilly
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by onfireX5 View Post
No. Not enough room.
The more I read about this the more it sounds like the BMW design is 'good enough'. It doesn't look like any sizable impact with the Dinan product at all. And, even the current filters being swapped doesnt look like much impact either - looks like BMC makes a version (K&N doesnt).

Even with an exhaust and stage 1 tune, the stock item might do the trick - just want to be sure Im not missing something.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2018, 01:56 AM   #27
0-60Motorsports
Brigadier General
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 JB 04 Coupe

Go with the BMC's. I run them on my E70 X5M. Perfect for the price point.
2011 VW Golf R DSG White/Black
IG: @060Motorsports
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2018, 01:04 PM   #28
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skilly View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by onfireX5 View Post
No. Not enough room.
The more I read about this the more it sounds like the BMW design is 'good enough'. It doesn't look like any sizable impact with the Dinan product at all. And, even the current filters being swapped doesnt look like much impact either - looks like BMC makes a version (K&N doesnt).

Even with an exhaust and stage 1 tune, the stock item might do the trick - just want to be sure Im not missing something.
Both BMS and K&N make a set but both are smaller than the F85. They are actually the same size as the F15 which is why I went with OEM F85 over them for my 50i
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2018, 01:36 PM   #29
Skilly
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
Both BMS and K&N make a set but both are smaller than the F85. They are actually the same size as the F15 which is why I went with OEM F85 over them for my 50i
Thats exactly what had me scratching my head too...the surface area on the K&N and BMC is smaller than OEM. And, they dont provide any CFM information for either like they do with some of their other filter applications - my take is that there isnt a gain by moving to these filters from the F85 stock system.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2020, 09:20 PM   #30
Saleeb86
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X5 M (F85)

Hey guys! New to the BMW world, here. Just purchased my first (2017 F85) and am already in love! Checking out air intakes and didn’t notice any comments re the aFe. Any thoughts?

Also looking at swapping out the exhaust, but going to have that done by a shop that can tune it properly post install. Any recommendations? Considering the Eisenmann race and the Fi. Lots of folks seem the enjoy the Akropovic, but $7k is a little steep. If it’s worth it then I’d consider. What do y’all think?

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2020, 10:32 PM   #31
StatenEye
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M F85

Garage List
2016 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW X5M  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleeb86 View Post
Hey guys! New to the BMW world, here. Just purchased my first (2017 F85) and am already in love! Checking out air intakes and didn’t notice any comments re the aFe. Any thoughts?

Also looking at swapping out the exhaust, but going to have that done by a shop that can tune it properly post install. Any recommendations? Considering the Eisenmann race and the Fi. Lots of folks seem the enjoy the Akropovic, but $7k is a little steep. If it’s worth it then I’d consider. What do y’all think?

Thanks in advance!
Open cones were nothing but trouble on the M5. I have the Dinan on the X5M and it serves its purpose and is relatively cheap but its really an overrated mod.

With the exhaust, start with the downpipes. If you live in NY you will pass inspection with catless DPs and a tune, not sure how that works in NC. This sounds better than any exhaust with catted DPs. You can run the stock mufflers with catless DPs and you will love it. Best bet is to scoop a set of stock DPs with shot cats and just drill them out, reduces waste-gate rattle bc the stocks are double walled.. went that way in the M5.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2020, 09:23 AM   #32
F85MTuNED
IG: @88jae88
Rep
Drives: ///Ⓜ️

Quote:

Thanks in advance!
There's several threads on different intakes just search.
      10-05-2020, 09:41 AM   #33
Saleeb86
Enlisted Member
Rep

Hey! Just installed the RK Autowerks air intakes, and boy do they look pretty. One question I have after installing - has anyone had issues with the filters coming off while driving? The O-rings are snug, but I almost had to force the filter portion of the intakes down into the area behind the grill. I have also used the included Velcro to reduce movement while driving; however, I’m concerned that riding around on bumpy roads could cause the filter to snag something and get pulled off. Does anyone have experience with this? Ever had the filter pop off while driving? (I’ve already searched other threads and came up empty handed).

On another note, Akrapovic exhaust should arrive tomorrow! Chose not to start with catless DPs because of the comments I’ve read re metallic sounding drone at low RPMs. Going to install the akra first and if I want something louder, I may go with high flow DPs.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 03:59 PM   #34
F85MTuNED
Rep

Once you have them adjusted properly and snug it should never fall period just make sure that your measurements are A1... you don't want the intakes rubbing the chassis.
      10-06-2020, 01:52 PM   #35
Saleeb86
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F85MTuNED View Post
Once you have them adjusted properly and snug it should never fall period just make sure that your measurements are A1... you don't want the intakes rubbing the chassis.
I didn't realize there were measurements I needed to take. I did try to space them evenly, and at a point where they weren't putting pressure on the tubing between the turbo and the intake. Velcro'd to that little black piece there just before the intakes curve downward.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 07:57 PM   #36
DLM155
Rep
Drives: 17 Black/Black X5M

Hate to beat a dead horse here, but I sum this thread up as small if any performance gain, good looks, and great sound. Sounds like people that have the RK really like the added sound, does the Dinan intake sound just as good?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 08:32 PM   #37
KCTiger
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLM155 View Post
Hate to beat a dead horse here, but I sum this thread up as small if any performance gain, good looks, and great sound. Sounds like people that have the RK really like the added sound, does the Dinan intake sound just as good?
Only comment I will add is that you can't go stage 2 without intakes. Stage 1 adding intakes not much of a performance boost, if any.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 02:17 PM   #38
F85MTuNED
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by F85MTuNED View Post
I didn't realize there were measurements I needed to take. I did try to space them evenly, and at a point where they weren't putting pressure on the tubing between the turbo and the intake. Velcro'd to that little black piece there just before the intakes curve downward.
I used the word Measure but that's pretty much what I was saying to you.. once you make sure it's all even you should be good. Tbh I am a damn perfectionist when it comes to certain things so I literally sat there and made sure each intake sat exactly identical to each other on each side before tightening intakes and laying down Velcro.

But that's just me lol..
      10-26-2020, 09:26 PM   #39
JayReeX5M
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Currently Looking

Anyone looking at getting a Dinan intake x-ph.com currently has a promo code for 10% off (store-wide I assume) and free shipping. That'll save you ~120 bucks off the total intake price! I know it's not much compared to the exorbitant price tag for two filters and a CF intake cover but at least it's something. Just thought I'd share for anyone who might be holding out for a lower price. Or, you could also just wait for one to show up in the classifieds section and hope to snag it before one of the other vultures gets it.
Appreciate 0