11-10-2013, 01:39 PM   #1
NikonMan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5M Azurite on Nutmeg

F15 - Wireless hot spot?

Anyone with an F15 x5 care to elaborate on this feature:

"Internet access is available as an option on 2014 models equipped with navigation and the latest BMW iDrive 4.22 as part on BMW Online. The internet browser is connected through the vehicle using a 3G network connection."

I am curious if the SIM card is end user accessible (which would be nice) - or how exactly this works. Does it work with tethered phones, for example.

I thought I read somewhere that Euro spec x5's have an option for an end user SIM card as well as the option to create an "in car" wireless hot spot.

There a considerable amount of information on the new "connected" features for the '14 model year here:

http://www.bmwusanews.com/newsreleas...?&id=1713&mid=

However, which components are USA specific are a bit unclear.

The new iPhone wireless profiles support is interesting as well.

Update - just found more information here - seems as though a dedicated 4G SIM pluggable solution may be available:

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13746_7...w-nav-to-cars/

-Steve

Last edited by NikonMan; 11-10-2013 at 01:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2013, 05:33 PM   #2
pesh
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 Black M4 Convertible

Garage List
I just picked up my 2014 X5 yesterday. As part of the pick up process, I was given the option to pay a few hundred dollars to allow my car to act as a hot spot. Given that my entire family has iPhone's that can tether (effectively act as hotspots), I couldn't justify the cost for feature.

Since i didn't pursue the option, i didn't dig into the core technology 3G vs. LTE, etc?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2013, 05:48 PM   #3
snowboy
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 xDrive50i

In my case, I don't need it to act like a hot spot, can I still listen to Pandora w/o paying extra?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2013, 06:08 PM   #4
NikonMan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5M Azurite on Nutmeg

Ok thanks for the comments -

I am very curious if one can simply "bring your own service" and drop a SIM card in a slot somewhere (I have never seen or heard of this ability - European models have the option for a dedicated LTE USB radio) ... or (more likely) that the GSM radio is built in and must be enabled, along with a separate service contract - with (I assume T-Mobile) ....

I believe that the built in telematics and traffic data are delivered via cellular radio - so there is obviously a GSM radio somewhere.

I suspect BMW partners with T-Mobile for this ...
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2015, 05:51 AM   #5
MattBianco
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesh View Post
I just picked up my 2014 X5 yesterday. As part of the pick up process, I was given the option to pay a few hundred dollars to allow my car to act as a hot spot. Given that my entire family has iPhone's that can tether (effectively act as hotspots), I couldn't justify the cost for feature.

Since i didn't pursue the option, i didn't dig into the core technology 3G vs. LTE, etc?
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread. Do you by chance remember what it was that was offered exactly? There is hotspot device which I believe is $1500, but yours sounds like something else at a few hundred dollars.

I have ran into a code (below), that enables WLAN, and it sounds similar to capabilities offered to you. But, I understand that code does not work with the current system (NBT) as it is missing critical hardware.

Just trying to get to the bottom of it. Why? I am not trying to create a hotspot in order to gain interest connectivity. Instead, I am trying to connected a wifi drive for music. Yes, I know USB and Bluetooth achieve this as well.

Thank you in advance for your input.

HU_NBT > 3003 > WLAN_STATUS > aktiv
HU_NBT > 3003 > WLAN_MODUS > ap
HU_NBT > 3003 > WLAN_SIGNAL_STRENGTH > "incar" for low power, "outdoor" for high power
HU_NBT > 3000 > ENT_MC_WLAN_STREAM_DMP_COVERART > aktiv
HU_NBT > 3000 > ENT_MC_WLAN_STREAM_DMP_VIDEO > aktiv
HU_NBT > 3000 > ENT_MC_WLAN_STREAM_DMP > aktiv

cc:coding genius shawnsheridan

Last edited by MattBianco; 12-04-2015 at 06:18 AM..
Appreciate 2
      11-30-2018, 05:00 PM   #6
wstuartj
Rep
Drives: 2015 x5 3.5d

I have a 2015 x5 (F15) 35d. It has 3G access for BMW Online.

Does anyone know if there is a straight forward way to upgrade this to support 4G/LTE access for BMW Online services? I read conflicting information that the antenna might need to be swapped as well as possibly the COM box. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, is it possible to retrofit the in-car WiFi option?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by wstuartj; 12-02-2018 at 10:12 PM.. Reason: wrong car code
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 08:55 PM   #7
alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wstuartj View Post
I have a 2015 x5 (F14) 35d. It has 3G access for BMW Online.

Does anyone know if there is a straight forward way to upgrade this to support 4G/LTE access for BMW Online services? I read conflicting information that the antenna might need to be swapped as well as possibly the COM box. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, is it possible to retrofit the in-car WiFi option?

Thanks in advance!
If you just want in-car WiFi get one of those ODB hotspot dongles.

The amount of money you'll spend on the upgrades you'll be able to pay for like five years of service.
ajob454.50
      12-02-2018, 10:13 PM   #8
wstuartj
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaod View Post

The amount of money you'll spend on the upgrades you'll be able to pay for like five years of service.
I'd like the speed of 4G/LTE if possible for BMW Online. If it's not too expensive. I have no idea what the upgrade would entail....
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 10:24 PM   #9
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaod View Post

I'd like the speed of 4G/LTE if possible for BMW Online. If it's not too expensive. I have no idea what the upgrade would entail....
The car doesn't have LTE antennae's or 4G for that manner. Not really something easily changed. I would think of it as a phone. Not gonna change the antennae's on an old phone. You're just gonna buy a new phone.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 08:06 AM   #10
wstuartj
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
The car doesn't have LTE antennae's or 4G for that manner. Not really something easily changed. I would think of it as a phone. Not gonna change the antennae's on an old phone. You're just gonna buy a new phone.
I understand that the antenna would need to be swapped and likely the modem (3G->LTE).

I'm wondering if anyone has any idea the cost or has done this. I'm trying to gauge if it's worth it....

Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 02:16 PM   #11
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
I understand that the antenna would need to be swapped and likely the modem (3G->LTE).

I'm wondering if anyone has any idea the cost or has done this. I'm trying to gauge if it's worth it....

Any ideas?
Doubt it. Seems like a pretty useless venture for the cost. Especially since it's all there in your phone. But maybe. Good luck. I find a lot of people in this community do things but don't talk or share on these forums. Especially in the X5 market. Shame really.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 08:43 PM   #12
Johnr3524
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5

Garage List
2012 BMW e92 M3  [0.00]
I'm with AT&T and so I used their Netgear Nighthawk. It's a nice little wireless router. While you can run a hotspot with your phone, it's not great if you have a kid streaming a movie, your spouse on their computer and on a call. The Netgear is independent, has a good internal antenna and aggregates signal. It's fast (very) and so far unflappable. I hardwired it into the rear cigarette socket and located it behind the panel there. Climb in the car, start it up and the just turns on and everything connects. $10 a month...
Appreciate 0