BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-13-2018, 08:13 PM   #221
BMWM5NYC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 Monte Carlo Blue M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by R748 View Post
New owner of a 2015 X5M, a very informative board you guys have here.

Has anyone tried a solution such as CRC disk brake quiet or just adding some generous amount of brake grease to the back of the pad? These are typically what is done to quiet brake squeal (caused by vibration), just wondering if anyone has tried this and if it has had even a temporary effect.

I'm about to try this, as I've had squeaking for a while now. Funny enough, the car was quiet during the pre-purchase test drive and for a few week after purchase. The car had around 46K miles when I bought it.
I have done this for years on my E46 M3, E60 M5 and F10 M5 and it has stopped and kept the squeals away ever since. Ever since BMW changed their procedure with brake pad installs (telling techs NOT to use brake pad paste) everybody has been having to deal with noisy brakes. There are 2 types of noisy pads. Noise from pad composition(this can be quieted by brake pad bedding procedure) and the other is Brake Pad Vibration Harmonics, this is the one that can be mitigated by used Brake Pad Paste. There is NO need to live with brake noise. If it was "NORMAL" EVERY SINGLE "M" vehicle would have it. But many people don't, so it can be fixed if the PROPER EFFORT is made by service techs.