BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-22-2016, 03:39 PM   #23
jpsjr70
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5M

I have the same issue. What an amazing bullsh-t way of driving! Funny thing my RS6 did the same too! Crazy!

Joe
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2016, 06:31 PM   #24
raym3cs
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: San Marino M3CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickC23 View Post
Which dealership in NJ did you end up at? Thing is mine is brand new, i noticed it Day 2 with 48 miles on it so I cant imagine the pads got dirty. Completed build 4/12 also so its not like it was sitting somewhere building up corrosion.

first i went to park ave BMW (they simply cleaned the pads and did what they call sanding down the corners of the pads so they won't collect dust) after the issue came back i was told to call the dealership i purchased the truck from. TENAFLY BMW replaced all four rotors and pads for me ....
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2016, 10:04 PM   #25
shellbmb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 F90 M5C

Quote:
Ok, so I guess they never addressed the issue from the F10M brakes then. I will probably get it out this weekend and attempt to bed them although I dont think it will help. As long as its "normal" Im fine with it, just hate taking it in for these type of things since they never fix them. This thing is scary fast though I can tell, from a stop it feels faster than my F10 and I am breaking it in still. It just feels like it wants to go (if that makes any sense).
My M5 does a good "Deliverance" impression as well. It's actually embarrassing to be honest. Thankfully the cabin is well insulated so you don't hear it as much. But with the windows down, it's like nails on a chalkboard. Of course the dealer says they can't reproduce it....twice now. I now have a recording of it to prove to them, but I'm over it. They can't fix it. Still wondering how AMG and Porsche can make high performance brakes that don't squeal, but BMW can't.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2016, 03:17 AM   #26
jcfay
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellbmb View Post
Still wondering how AMG and Porsche can make high performance brakes that don't squeal, but BMW can't.
That's a great point. My AMG only sometimes had minor squealing that was nuked with a few hard stomps on the pedal. That was it. Not sure how BMW can't manage it too. Still wondering if there are any replacement pads that could help?
Appreciate 1
      04-23-2016, 07:05 AM   #27
UrbanExtant
Captain
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 Comp Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcfay View Post
That's a great point. My AMG only sometimes had minor squealing that was nuked with a few hard stomps on the pedal. That was it. Not sure how BMW can't manage it too. Still wondering if there are any replacement pads that could help?
Driving in stop and go traffic in Boston yesterday, mine were horrific. On Cape, it doesn't happen as much, because I'm going fast, and then all of a sudden, I'm not. Creeping, stopping, creeping, stopping for an hour yesterday in bumper to bumper traffic was nasty noisy. When I get home I'm going to start looking into anything aftermarket that could help quiet it down. I'll keep you updated if I find anything.

Car also goes in for the ticking issue this coming Thursday, and I'll ask them to fix the squealing brakes. Maybe they will have answers. They'll already have two of the four wheels off, anyway. Might as well work on two issues as once!
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2016, 12:02 PM   #28
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90M5,F85X5M

It's the dust from the pads. Mine stops making any noise after a wash. Then it slowly comes back. Different compound pads would fix it.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2016, 06:07 PM   #29
PatrickC23
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 991.1 911 GTS, '16 F85 X5M

Garage List
2013 BMW ///M5  [0.00]
Question about the type of squeal you are all hearing - mine is actually quite faint, and only happens on a soft push of the brake as I am nearing a stop. Any harder push and it does not occur. Is this the same as you are experiencing?

As onfirex5 mentioned it could just be dust, as on my M5 there was a temporary solution I would do during each wash. I would simply spray some wheel cleaner into the brake and wash it off and that would cure it for 2-3 weeks and then come back. This was something a lot of the F10 guys successfully tried albeit temporary. I am hoping to try this when I get to my first wash.
      04-23-2016, 09:29 PM   #30
Coelho
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5M

mine is the same as described above.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2016, 05:42 AM   #31
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
Question about the type of squeal you are all hearing - mine is actually quite faint, and only happens on a soft push of the brake as I am nearing a stop. Any harder push and it does not occur. Is this the same as you are experiencing?
Yes, this is when I get the squeal, but it is not faint. It happens more upon slowing, like approaching a stop sign. In stop and go traffic it make me crazy. I sometimes use the paddle shifters in traffic but I'm afraid someone behind me won't see my brake lights and rear end me,
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2016, 07:24 AM   #32
RaVe
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: X5M F85

I think it does not matter when it squeak . In my opinion it should not squeak at all.
It could be possible, that it will be louder in future.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2016, 10:19 AM   #33
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

Brake squeal is driving me nuts on the M5 and X5M. The M5 is getting pads/rotors replaced with anti-squeal paste. The X5M is coming in next.

My car sounds like a freight train when stopping.

I get that BMW wanted aggressive brake pads to report the short stopping distance, but they should've given M owners an option on brake compound (street vs aggressive/track).

Like tires, there's no such thing as the jack of all trade brake pads. You either have track pads that are noisy or street pads that are quiet. Anything in between, like what we have, will have compromises.
      04-24-2016, 02:51 PM   #34
Ehloo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 15 x5 m

Bmw is full of BS. My amg brakes squelch and brought them in and it fixed it. Didn't ever come back. I did end up going with dustless ceramic pads which didn't make any noise and much less dust. Thinking of switching on the M but since everything is covered under maintenance not sure I want to spend the extra money.

Took the M in for the 1200 service and ask about brakes and they could not replicate. Bunch of BS. Squeals like crazy and really embarrassing.

I didn't have my rims on at the last service and sure they are probably going to blame the noise on the bigger wheels and tires which has nothing to do with it

It's crazy that everyone has just bent over and taking it from BMW. A cars brakes are not suppose to make that much noise. If enough of us complain and get some type of positive outcome they will note the fixes with a service bullitien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNoSol View Post
Brake squeal is driving me nuts on the M5 and X5M. The M5 is getting pads/rotors replaced with anti-squeal paste. The X5M is coming in next.

I get that BMW wanted aggressive brake pads to report the short stopping distance, but they should've given M owners an option on brake compound (street vs aggressive/track).

Like tires, there's no such thing as the jack of all trade brake pads. You either have track pads that are noisy or street pads that are quiet. Anything in between, like what we have, will have compromises.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2016, 03:03 AM   #35
jcfay
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Good points, thanks. I like the freight train comparison . It's sad that we're all considering having work done on what are essentially new brakes (at least in my case - 3K miles) just because of the godawful noise. I hope the paste helps. I also imagine a different type of pad could help, but as mentioned, we shouldn't have to fork out the cash for something as simple as this.

It's funny, I'm at an AMG driving school yesterday and today, and we're beating the heck out of these cars, 150 mph braking full at COTA here in Austin. No squeal. None. Nada. Yes, they're being taken great care of, but it wasn't an issue on my old AMG either. There's got to be a fix for our cars. And any dealer who "can't replicate it" is either deaf or lying...
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2016, 06:51 AM   #36
ajob
Lieutenant
Monaco
Rep
Drives: X5 M

Never heard any brake squeal on my X5 M; I wonder if we get different brake pads in Europe?

Maybe different regulations, US vs Europe, for brake pad formulas?

Any other non-US users having squealing brakes?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2016, 08:18 AM   #37
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Good points, thanks. I like the freight train comparison . It's sad that we're all considering having work done on what are essentially new brakes (at least in my case - 3K miles) just because of the godawful noise. I hope the paste helps. I also imagine a different type of pad could help, but as mentioned, we shouldn't have to fork out the cash for something as simple as this.

It's funny, I'm at an AMG driving school yesterday and today, and we're beating the heck out of these cars, 150 mph braking full at COTA here in Austin. No squeal. None. Nada. Yes, they're being taken great care of, but it wasn't an issue on my old AMG either. There's got to be a fix for our cars. And any dealer who "can't replicate it" is either deaf or lying...
FYI, AMG squeal on the street as well. The brakes of the AMG and M cars should not squeal under hard working sessions (track). Their optimum working condition is being pressed hard at higher temp compared to normal BMW's/Merc's brakes. Since 90% of X5M owners will not see the track, BMW should've offered 2 brake pad options.

When my car does squeal, I get on a highway and slam on the brakes at exit or sometimes even ride the brakes for a brief second at 70mph. It then goes away for a few days, then come back with light braking.

For my M5, I'll look into Carbotech 1521 if the problem keeps happening.
      04-25-2016, 09:39 AM   #38
PatrickC23
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW ///M5  [0.00]
Quote:
FYI, AMG squeal on the street as well. The brakes of the AMG and M cars should not squeal under hard working sessions (track). Their optimum working condition is being pressed hard at higher temp compared to normal BMW's/Merc's brakes. Since 90% of X5M owners will not see the track, BMW should've offered 2 brake pad options.

When my car does squeal, I get on a highway and slam on the brakes at exit or sometimes even ride the brakes for a brief second at 70mph. It then goes away for a few days, then come back with light braking.

For my M5, I'll look into Carbotech 1521 if the problem keeps happening.
Yea I dont think the track would be a good test for this as hard breaking seems to be the remedy. I find myself doing it just to not hear the squeal, but with passengers that might not go over well.

It's funny now that I noticed it on the F85, I find myself listening at stop lights, and its amazing how many other cars have the same squeak as they near a slow stop.

I disagree on it being related to high performance brakes though, the only two cars Ive ever experienced this on are the F10 M and F85.
      04-25-2016, 01:05 PM   #39
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yea I dont think the track would be a good test for this as hard breaking seems to be the remedy. I find myself doing it just to not hear the squeal, but with passengers that might not go over well.

It's funny now that I noticed it on the F85, I find myself listening at stop lights, and its amazing how many other cars have the same squeak as they near a slow stop.

I disagree on it being related to high performance brakes though, the only two cars Ive ever experienced this on are the F10 M and F85.
My F80 M3 squeal as well. So does my friend's GT3. Google "Porsche Brake Squeal", "GTR brake squeal," "Ferrari brake squeal," and you will see numerous threads.

It's not BMW, it's Brembo and brake pad companies that supply to Brembo. 99% of all high performance cars use Brembo brakes.

Like I said, you can't have a "all-seasons" brake pads. If you want good stopping power, you have to have aggressive compound and aggressive compound shed dust/squeak. If you replace the pads with Carbotech 1521, it will be less noise and less dust but don't expect the car to perform as well OEM.

If we wanted comfort, we would've gotten an F15 50i instead. Instead, we wanted a car that goes 0-60 in 3.8 sec and 60-0 in 116ft. All high performance cars will have quirks and brakes are one of them.

Last edited by JNoSol; 04-25-2016 at 01:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2016, 01:11 PM   #40
PatrickC23
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW ///M5  [0.00]
Quote:
My F80 M3 squeal as well. So does my friend's GT3. Google "Porsche Brake Squeal", "GTR brake squeal," "Ferrari brake squeal," and you will see numerous threads.

It's not BMW, it's Brembo and brake pad companies that supply to Brembo. 99% of all high performance cars use Brembo brakes.

Like I said, you can't have a "all-seasons" brake pads. If you want good stopping power, you have to have aggressive compound and aggressive compound shed dust/squeak. If you replace the pads with Carbotech 1521, it will be less noise and less dust but don't expect the car to perform as well OEM.
Im just going off the cars I have had, my GTS does not make any noise, neither did my RR Sport with Brembos or my C63 AMG. Of course as I say this, my GTS will now squeal like a pig.
      04-25-2016, 01:17 PM   #41
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Im just going off the cars I have had, my GTS does not make any noise, neither did my RR Sport with Brembos or my C63 AMG. Of course as I say this, my GTS will now squeal like a pig.
Merc tend to make decisions that sacrifice performance for comfort. It would not surprise me if Merc went against Brembo's suggestion and used a less aggressive compound for improved comfort.

But search "AMG brake squeal" there are countless threads about it.
http://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w2...ing-noise.html

Hmmm, everything they're saying on this thread seems very familiar.

"welcome to being an mercedes benz owner - squeeling brakes is an ongoing fact of life. Although its intermittent. " - Maverick1975

GTS is a very nice ride.

Last edited by JNoSol; 04-25-2016 at 01:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2016, 06:35 PM   #42
jcfay
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Yea, the brake squeal on AMGs ain't as bad. You can bed it out wicked quick with a few hard stomps on the pedal, and then it's GONE. Not sure what pads they're using, but considering I'd be rear ended by about 5 cars in a row if I tried to do a 60-0 stop in 116 feet, I'd be happier like you said with a quieter option. I'm sure on the track it's awesome. But in town it ain't so cool...
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 01:45 PM   #43
DallasCajun
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW XM Base

Garage List
2024 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
The light bulb just went off for me. It seems as though mine only squeaks when my family is in the car with me. I just chalked it up to dumb luck. But now that I read this, it occurs to me that I drive more aggressively when I'm alone, so I'm also braking more aggressively as well.

Family in the car = Comfort/Efficient everything
No Family in the car = Beast Mode

2023 Ford Bronco Raptor, 2017 BMW 540i, 2016 BMW X5M, 2011 BMW M3, 2011 Carrera GTS, 2010 Panamera S, 2009 911 Carrera S, 2001 Boxster S - gone
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2016, 10:37 PM   #44
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yea, the brake squeal on AMGs ain't as bad. You can bed it out wicked quick with a few hard stomps on the pedal, and then it's GONE. Not sure what pads they're using, but considering I'd be rear ended by about 5 cars in a row if I tried to do a 60-0 stop in 116 feet, I'd be happier like you said with a quieter option. I'm sure on the track it's awesome. But in town it ain't so cool...
I took both my M5 and X5M to the dealer to fix the squeal. They roughen up the pads, machined the rotors, and applied anti-squeal paste to the back of the pads. So far, no squeal on both cars. Super quiet now.