12-06-2018, 02:09 PM   #1
Feelin Nauti
Feelin Nauti
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 650i M Sport Frozen

V 1 Radar interface questions...

I have a 2015 X5 50i

I am looking into getting all the bells and whistles with a new V1 radar detector. (Valentine one) I see they have some compatibility issues with some accessories.

I'm not sure if we have these issues or not. Here is what it says from V1 website.

Can anyone help with these questions ?

CARS WITH SAVVY COMPATIBILITY ISSUES

Applies to most SAVVY purchased
Electric vehicles
BMW with OBD-sensing alarm system
Micro Hybrid vehicles equipped with a Lithium-ion starter battery

IMPORTANT NOTES FOR ALL SAVVY VERSIONS
SAVVY draws a small current from the car battery even with the ignition switched off. Use caution in vehicles with weak batteries, or that go for long periods without being driven.
OnStar® and Uconnect® cannot run their full diagnostic test if SAVVY or any other device is plugged into the OBD port. SAVVY does not interfere with any other OnStar function. Some OnStar and Uconnect users may experience a Check Engine Light when SAVVY is installed.
Aftermarket alarms, remote-start kits, performance tuning kits, and other devices that "piggyback" on the vehicle's OBDII system interfere with SAVVY function.

The other thing is I plan on getting a Boot Mod 3 tuner.. will this be affected by the V1 accessory SAVVY ?
2013 Harley Softail, Road King, Road Glide show bikes
2010 40' Express Cruisers Yacht
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 10:13 PM   #2
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feelin Nauti View Post
I have a 2015 X5 50i

I am looking into getting all the bells and whistles with a new V1 radar detector. (Valentine one) I see they have some compatibility issues with some accessories.

I'm not sure if we have these issues or not. Here is what it says from V1 website.

Can anyone help with these questions ?

CARS WITH SAVVY COMPATIBILITY ISSUES

Applies to most SAVVY purchased
Electric vehicles
BMW with OBD-sensing alarm system
Micro Hybrid vehicles equipped with a Lithium-ion starter battery

IMPORTANT NOTES FOR ALL SAVVY VERSIONS
SAVVY draws a small current from the car battery even with the ignition switched off. Use caution in vehicles with weak batteries, or that go for long periods without being driven.
OnStar® and Uconnect® cannot run their full diagnostic test if SAVVY or any other device is plugged into the OBD port. SAVVY does not interfere with any other OnStar function. Some OnStar and Uconnect users may experience a Check Engine Light when SAVVY is installed.
Aftermarket alarms, remote-start kits, performance tuning kits, and other devices that "piggyback" on the vehicle's OBDII system interfere with SAVVY function.

The other thing is I plan on getting a Boot Mod 3 tuner.. will this be affected by the V1 accessory SAVVY ?
Boot mod 3 is not an OBD plug in. Its loaded to the ecu via the OBD. I believe It's referring to people who have tunes that are in a chip that plugs into the OBD to be integrated and stays there. Lot of diesel mods I've seen like this and trucks. My dad had one on his jag for awhile. But I know there is a history of the OBD and alarm thing. Search that one.

But now A days I would go with uniden over V1.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 08:56 AM   #3
Kzang
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i Msport SG

My problem with the Savvy connection was when I shut off the car and lock it... few moments later the car alarm goes off. There is a thread on here about this issue.
My second issue is that V1 ( the older version ) is crap compared to all the other detectors on the market. Screw the arrows what is the point when the detector goes off on every automatic doors in the city. I purchased a Passport Xi and my problem was solved. No more false alerts so that I can focus on driving than wondering if all the alerts I received from V1 are legit or not.
      12-07-2018, 09:26 AM   #4
Rotzy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F15, 2015 F83

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
My problem with the Savvy connection was when I shut off the car and lock it... few moments later the car alarm goes off. There is a thread on here about this issue.
The OBD alarm can be coded off.
https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1089860
Maverik2594133.00
      12-07-2018, 09:55 PM   #5
Djg21
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 x35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotzy View Post
I purchased a VPeak BT code reader and installed BimmerCode and BimmerLink on my iPhone and was able to disable the OBDII port alarm in about 5 minutes. It’s easy. I use a V1 with SAVVY, only because SAVVY makes installation easy, and I had it before the V1 BT module became available. If you use the BT module and an app like V1Driver with your V1, the SAVVY only becomes a factor when there is not a GPS signal, i.e., in parking garages, tunnels. Read about programming custom sweeps into your V1 and use V1Driver and you will be pleased. V1Driver really quiets the V1 and gets rid of most stationary falses and BSM falses

Last edited by Djg21; 12-11-2018 at 08:24 PM..
Appreciate 1
LeopardM3232.50
      12-08-2018, 10:55 AM   #6
LeopardM3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 M3, '20 X3MC, '03 540i MSp

Garage List
1991 BMW 318is  [0.00]
2006 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djg21 View Post
I purchased a VPeak BT code reader and installed BimmerCode and BimmerLink on my iPhone and was able to disable the OBDII port alarm in about 5 minutes. It’s easy. I use a V1 with SAVVY, only because SAVVY makes installation easy, and I had it before the V1 BT module became available. I’d you use the BT module and an app like V1Driver with your V1, the SAVVY only becomes a factor when there is not a GPS signal, i.e., in parking garages, tunnels. Read about programming custom sweeps into your V1 and use V1Driver and you will be pleased. V1Driver really quiets the V1 and gets rid of most stationary falses and BSM falses
I'm wondering if it's worth getting the V1 Connection LE and then using the app to play with the settings like you mention. In that case, I could also use my Galaxy to display the arrows. Frankly, I've never really been that annoyed with the initial beep being too loud at low speed, but I do love having the option of being able to adjust all the programming.

Frankly, I really wish you didn't need that extra module for this, and that the newer V1 units would simply include all that BT functionality built in, so all you'd need is the app. I get why V1 wants to keep the original device and add the module so that ppl who bought a V1 years ago don't have to switch, but nevertheless, I think they should just sell both.
2003 540i MSport
1991 Red 318i (M50B25 engine swap)
Appreciate 1
Maverik2594133.00
      12-08-2018, 11:52 AM   #7
Djg21
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeopardM3 View Post
I'm wondering if it's worth getting the V1 Connection LE and then using the app to play with the settings like you mention. In that case, I could also use my Galaxy to display the arrows. Frankly, I've never really been that annoyed with the initial beep being too loud at low speed, but I do love having the option of being able to adjust all the programming.

Frankly, I really wish you didn't need that extra module for this, and that the newer V1 units would simply include all that BT functionality built in, so all you'd need is the app. I get why V1 wants to keep the original device and add the module so that ppl who bought a V1 years ago don't have to switch, but nevertheless, I think they should just sell both.
It’s absolutely essential to get the BT dongle. You will want to use your phone to set up custom sweeps using the V1Connect app, and you must use a phone to have GPS functionality to limit falsing and BSM detection, which otherwise render radar detectors unuseable.

There is all sorts of information regarding setup on the Vortex Radar website, https://www.vortexradar.com/2018/03/...iver-settings/ and on Radar Dectector Forum, https://www.rdforum.org/index.php.

I use a blendmount (https://store.blendmount.com/all-bmw-mirrors-c1723.aspx) to hang my V1 from the rearview mirror, have the wiring concealed and attached to the SAVVY Device in the OBDII port, and use a splitter to attach the BTLE dongle and a concealed display that is mounted on the top of my steering wheel stem. I use V1Driver on my phone, which I put in a Proclip mount (https://www.proclipusa.com/vehicle/d...x5-series/2016) attached to the center console to the left of my idrive display.

V1Driver driver starts automatically when connected to the V1 via BT, and runs in the background unless you want it to display. I prefer to have Waze displaying on my phone whenever I’m driving. With the concealed display, I keep the V1 dark so it cannot be seen from behind.
Appreciate 1
LeopardM3232.50
      12-08-2018, 01:56 PM   #8
LeopardM3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
1991 BMW 318is  [0.00]
2006 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
It’s absolutely essential to get the BT dongle. You will want to use your phone to set up custom sweeps using the V1Connect app, and you must use a phone to have GPS functionality to limit falsing and BSM detection, which otherwise render radar detectors unuseable.

There is all sorts of information regarding setup on the Vortex Radar website, https://www.vortexradar.com/2018/03/...iver-settings/ and on Radar Dectector Forum, https://www.rdforum.org/index.php.

I use a blendmount (https://store.blendmount.com/all-bmw-mirrors-c1723.aspx) to hang my V1 from the rearview mirror, have the wiring concealed and attached to the SAVVY Device in the OBDII port, and use a splitter to attach the BTLE dongle and a concealed display that is mounted on the top of my steering wheel stem. I use V1Driver on my phone, which I put in a Proclip mount (https://www.proclipusa.com/vehicle/d...x5-series/2016) attached to the center console to the left of my idrive display.

V1Driver driver starts automatically when connected to the V1 via BT, and runs in the background unless you want it to display. I prefer to have Waze displaying on my phone whenever I’m driving. With the concealed display, I keep the V1 dark so it cannot be seen from behind.

All very good info, thank you. I've generally tended to install my V1 with the window suction cups directly below the mirror, but I love the idea of the bledmount mirror attachment, I'll look into that. And I definitely intend to hard wire to the mirror connector when the X5 arrives.

I don't intend to use SAVVY, and I'm torn on the concealed display. I've been using V1 for years in my M3, and I've never cared whether or not others behind me can see it - all I care about is that I can seen it haha. I would be much more inclined to use the concealed display, but this is one of the things that, as much as I love V1, annoys me about them - how slow they are to adapt. They could easily include BT in the V1, remove the need for the V1 Connection LE, AND make the concealed display BT connected as well. It would everything so much simpler. As it stands, if I want to use concealed display, I have to go through the pain of routing the wire around my dash and up the A-pillar to hide everything, and I'm just not sold that it's worth it since I don't care about using the V1 in dark mode.

That said, I'm still considering it because it would be kinda cool.

Where did you route your wire from the concealed display?

EDIT: it also looks like I have a lot to learn re. using the BT dongle and V1 driver settings. Need to start reading up on it. Like, for instance, if I set it to mute after seeing a signal 3 times, will it do the same for speed cams I regularly encounter? Interesting stuff for sure and I really appreciate the info. I've definitely been living in the "dark ages" with my V1, in that I've only used it the old-fashioned way for over 10 years now (plug in, turn on, that's it), and around NOLA, there isn't much use for it because State Police in Louisiana don't have the budget to get laser guns or really have too many cops out with radar sitting around the local highways.
2003 540i MSport

Last edited by LeopardM3; 12-08-2018 at 02:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2018, 04:29 PM   #9
Djg21
Private
United_States
Rep

There's no need for the concealed display if you plan on using V1Driver or one of the other apps as a display. I prefer to have Waze displaying on my iPhone while driving, with V1Driver running in the background, which is why I used the concealed display. I had colored LED added, so it looks good (http://www.fullcolordefense.com).

I routed power to the V1 through the plastic casing around the rear mirror stem, over the top of the windshield, and down the A-pillar to the SAVVY device in the OBDII port. You can tap into a switched fuse, or hard-wire right into the mirror/overhead console instead if you aren't using SAVVY. You can find detailed directions and links to YouTube videos on RD Forums. I have my BT dongle installed behind the storage box to the left of the steering wheel. Both SAVVY and the BT hardwire kit have a jack for an accessories, or you can use an RJ-11 splitters.

Don't think that LIDAR detection will save you. Even if a V1 detects LIDAR, it's probably too late because you've already been tagged. If you have the interest and the resources, there are a couple of laser jammers that apparently do work really well. Again RD Forum is the place to go for information.

There really is no longer a need to use SAVVY, as V1Driver (and a number of similar apps) can use GPS on the phone to do the same thing. Regarding muting, V1Driver handles it all automatically, or you can do it by "dropping pins." It doesn't mute red-light cameras. As to those, I prefer Waze, which gives me a voice warning when approaching known cameras (they all are known).

Definitely get the BT module to start. You can always add a concealed display later. The only reason I have one is so the V1 can't easily be seen from behind the car. I don't like suction cups to mount the V1 because they always eventually stop working, and they also can be seen fairly easily by a LEO standing over the driver-side window. With the Blendmount and the unit neatly hardwired, you have to really look hard to see the detector.

I'd like to see Valentine modernize a bit too. There is talk of a V2, but there has been for many years, and it seems to be just talk. I don't mind a separate BT dongle to allow for technology changes. I've been using V1s for over 20 years, and have paid to upgrade the device a couple of times (you get a new V1). The last time I sent in my BT dongle and Valentine sent me a new one with updated firmware.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2018, 06:41 PM   #10
LeopardM3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
1991 BMW 318is  [0.00]
2006 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
There's no need for the concealed display if you plan on using V1Driver or one of the other apps as a display. I prefer to have Waze displaying on my iPhone while driving, with V1Driver running in the background, which is why I used the concealed display. I had colored LED added, so it looks good (http://www.fullcolordefense.com).

I routed power to the V1 through the plastic casing around the rear mirror stem, over the top of the windshield, and down the A-pillar to the SAVVY device in the OBDII port. You can tap into a switched fuse, or hard-wire right into the mirror/overhead console instead if you aren't using SAVVY. You can find detailed directions and links to YouTube videos on RD Forums. I have my BT dongle installed behind the storage box to the left of the steering wheel. Both SAVVY and the BT hardwire kit have a jack for an accessories, or you can use an RJ-11 splitters.

Don't think that LIDAR detection will save you. Even if a V1 detects LIDAR, it's probably too late because you've already been tagged. If you have the interest and the resources, there are a couple of laser jammers that apparently do work really well. Again RD Forum is the place to go for information.

There really is no longer a need to use SAVVY, as V1Driver (and a number of similar apps) can use GPS on the phone to do the same thing. Regarding muting, V1Driver handles it all automatically, or you can do it by "dropping pins." It doesn't mute red-light cameras. As to those, I prefer Waze, which gives me a voice warning when approaching known cameras (they all are known).

Definitely get the BT module to start. You can always add a concealed display later. The only reason I have one is so the V1 can't easily be seen from behind the car. I don't like suction cups to mount the V1 because they always eventually stop working, and they also can be seen fairly easily by a LEO standing over the driver-side window. With the Blendmount and the unit neatly hardwired, you have to really look hard to see the detector.

I'd like to see Valentine modernize a bit too. There is talk of a V2, but there has been for many years, and it seems to be just talk. I don't mind a separate BT dongle to allow for technology changes. I've been using V1s for over 20 years, and have paid to upgrade the device a couple of times (you get a new V1). The last time I sent in my BT dongle and Valentine sent me a new one with updated firmware.
Thanks man. Yeah, I'm aware of the LIDAR detection issue, though I found that if I hit the breaks right as it happens, it can help a bit. I've considered installing a jammer for a while, and I may still.

I'm mulling all the rest in my head. I think I'll just get the BT dongle, install, and go from there. And yes, I intend to hard wire to mirror.

Lastly, I hear you on the upgrade. I actually never sent in the V1 for an upgrade in over 10 years. Just this week I finally decided to do it, and they said my hardware was so old it was incompatible with some of the new functionality, so I had to pay 300 for the "replacement" which is really just a brand new V1 unit.
2003 540i MSport
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2018, 08:43 PM   #11
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
I had the full color hidden display installed in my rear view mirror on my AMG. Best thing I ever did. Especially where detectors are illegal lol
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 08:33 PM   #12
Djg21
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
I had the full color hidden display installed in my rear view mirror on my AMG. Best thing I ever did. Especially where detectors are illegal lol
If a LEO pulls you over and sees you with a radar detector, you instantly lose the benefit of the doubt and can count on being ticketed. That is why I don’t like my detector to be visible from behind my car. With my V1 dark and on a blendmount, it’s difficult to see even if you’re standing next to the car.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 08:37 PM   #13
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
If a LEO pulls you over and sees you with a radar detector, you instantly lose the benefit of the doubt and can count on being ticketed. That is why I don’t like my detector to be visible from behind my car. With my V1 dark and on a blendmount, it’s difficult to see even if you’re standing next to the car.
Yes I know. Hence why I had it in my mirror. My detector was in my rear center head rest.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0