BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-29-2018, 11:18 AM   #1
03redtypes
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Msport

Bad front strut from sitting?

Had my oem suspension put back on, and they sit for about 5 months. At the time of take off they were in perfect working order. Had them swapped, and the front passenger sounds like it’s bad. Is this common? It something I’ve ever heard of before but dunno. Any help would be greatly appreciated. It has adaptation m not sure if that matters.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 08:27 PM   #2
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Never heard such a thing.
Check the installation, it could be something didn't put back correctly.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 09:19 PM   #3
03redtypes
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
I’ve not heard anything of that nature either. Only makes noise at low speeds. Nothing from like 35 and up. May see if the shop will pull back out and reinstall to make sure nothing is wrong. It’s a fairly simple and straight forward install. Just looking for any options at this point.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 10:21 PM   #4
menelaos
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 F15

Not sure if it matters at this point, but I think you should have kept the KWs on there.
It makes the car stand out for the "non-average Joe".

Parting out reduces the "saleability" in both cases...you make less by selling them individually as used, plus you reduce the value of the vehicle in an already saturated car/X5 market.....not to mention you incur installation/un-installation costs.

As to issue at hand, it really makes no sense unless they got damaged upon removal. I had Eibachs installed the past couple of days, and shop was describing the tedious process it had to go through to do it.
Can't imagine having to do it again, as you did.

if you have issues with any of the springs, please pm.
I could ship you one or two if faulty.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 11:07 PM   #5
turboawd
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

What sound are you hearing?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 11:09 PM   #6
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by menelaos View Post
Not sure if it matters at this point, but I think you should have kept the KWs on there.

Parting out reduces the "saleability" in both cases...you make less by selling them individually as used, plus you reduce the value of the vehicle in an already saturated car/X5 market.....not to mention you incur installation/un-installation costs.

As to issue at hand, it really makes no sense unless they got damaged upon removal. I had Eibachs installed the past couple of days, and shop was describing the tedious process it had to go through to do it.

It's really not that bad installing springs. Especially if you got air bags. Just have to remove like 5 bolts and a couple sensors and then the spring from the perch and swap and put back together. Biggest pain especially if you have a lot of miles and live in the salt belt is getting the wishbone separated with corrosion built up. That could suck. But just swapping fronts is a couple hour job max. Couple good videos on YouTube. And a great DIY on here from just last month.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2018, 06:11 AM   #7
menelaos
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 F15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
Quote:

It's really not that bad installing springs. Especially if you got air bags. Just have to remove like 5 bolts and a couple sensors and then the spring from the perch and swap and put back together. Biggest pain especially if you have a lot of miles and live in the salt belt is getting the wishbone separated with corrosion built up. That could suck. But just swapping fronts is a couple hour job max. Couple good videos on YouTube. And a great DIY on here from just last month.

Took my mechanic 6 hours. He told me they needed to compress them. I don't recall you doing that, did you?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2018, 08:00 AM   #8
Maverik259
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
Quote:

Took my mechanic 6 hours. He told me they needed to compress them. I don't recall you doing that, did you?
I haven't done it yet but compressing then isn't hard. You just need the tool. Not expensive or complicated. They just hook two bars and then you tighten the bolt and it compresses the spring. A decent one is like $50.

With that said I have heard one or two say they think it can be done without compressing due to the shaft where the top bolt sits being so long but I haven't heard of anyone actually testing it out. Last thing you want is to start unscrewing the bolt and there to still be compression on the spring when the bolt reaches the end of the shaft and then missile hazard.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 1
menelaos1226.00
      08-30-2018, 05:37 PM   #9
03redtypes
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
Got it taken care of! Went back over everything and the top nut worked itself up a bit on top of the strut! All good to go now!
Appreciate 2
Russmov1328.00
r33_RGSport12805.00