BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-21-2014, 10:04 PM   #1
Karthik
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 x35i M Sport

Suggestions on Luxury Line/X Line/M Sport

I am planning to buy new F15 sometime in Summer and would like to take suggestions from the owners that are out there.

When I try to build the car in the website, I couldn't find any major differences between Luxury line/ X Line/ M sport except tires, rails, kidney grille.

Are there any other differences other than the ones specified in the website.

From what I see, many people got the M Sport. Any particular reasons behind it??
Appreciate 1
      02-22-2014, 12:16 AM   #2
newbimmerx5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik
I am planning to buy new F15 sometime in Summer and would like to take suggestions from the owners that are out there.

When I try to build the car in the website, I couldn't find any major differences between Luxury line/ X Line/ M sport except tires, rails, kidney grille.

Are there any other differences other than the ones specified in the website.

From what I see, many people got the M Sport. Any particular reasons behind it??
There are visible differences. xLine is my choice because of elegance particularly the brown exterior.
Luxury line is probably ok.
M sport comes with sport seats and has optional adaptive suspension and sport plus. You can find all these differences online.

Lux and XLine only differ visually while M sport comes with comfort and suspension with sport plus mode and paddle shifters.

For some M sport looks great and for others it won't.

For me, I didn't want sportier look but lavish looks and hence I picked xLine.
Don't consider forum posts because most of them are enthusiasts of BMW and mostly like M sport.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2014, 06:21 AM   #3
someguy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

I picked the luxury line based upon what the way the differences appeared on the configurator:
http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/conte...modelcode=14XI

The biggest difference that I noticed were:

-The X-line has black plastic(?) around the wheelwells, that doesn't look so good to me.
-The M-Sport line has an edge to the wheelwells that protrude outward in what I believe to be a very unattractive manner, just my opinion. Also: the front bumper looks too aggressive to me, this isn't a Porsche 911 turbo, it is an SUV. (and this option costs $4600)
-The Luxury line has a calmer front end but has painted and FLAT edges of the wheelwells. This was what I decided I liked best, but only based on the images on the configurator.

someguy
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2014, 07:22 AM   #4
midlifecrisis
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 35d, 2019 230i X

I'm going to place an order in the next month or so and I've been going through the same deliberations. I've had two X3s and two Mini Coopers with the black plastic wheel well surround and I'm tired of cleaning excess wax off of it and treating it to keep it shining. This means I'll have to pick one of the lines to get body color wheel well surrounds.

I think I'm going with the Luxury Line and adding the multi-contour seats. I drove a F15 base model with the base suspension and it feels fine to me. I'm not going to drive the family hauler like a sports car, anyway. While I'd usually opt for the M Sport version, the lack of color choice ticks me off, too. I'm not a fan of the X Line trim, so that leaves Luxury by default. Hopefully the multi-contour seats feel as good as the BMW sport seats that I've always loved.
2000 328i sedan (UUC suspension - still the favorite), 2006 M3 slick top - Alpine White/Cinnamon
SOLD! 2008 E90 M3 SOLD! 1991 325iX (both great), 2019 Miata RF - various others not as memorable but gone.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2014, 07:22 AM   #5
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X

From a running/board perspective
For USA wrt r/boards: MSport n/avail. xLine included $2100, LuxLine excluded $1200 ( added $400).

For X/line vs LuxLine the rest I think is cosmetic. Once, you get the car, for me I do not each day look at the r/rails, grills etc. Yes you are correct the differences are not major.

MSport with option 2VF (extra $900) gets adaptive M Suspension. However. some say that 2VM Dynamic damper control $1500 is more versatile than 2VF. From those who posted many have MSport ( with 2vf, unsure) , few with 2VM. Those who have 2vf/2vm love it. I have neither for: I do not take a top heavy SUV fast on the off ramps (safer when on the on ramps), roads are relatively smooth, dealer said pricey repairs. Also for EW(arranty), they may be considered normal w/tear and not covered. Just my subjective thoughts.

For me, I spent more time debating 19 or 20" wheels, took former as needs triumphed over wants. Initially signed deal for x35i, changed to 50i.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2014, 09:21 AM   #6
Karthik
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbimmerx5 View Post
There are visible differences. xLine is my choice because of elegance particularly the brown exterior.
M sport comes with sport seats and has optional adaptive suspension and sport plus. You can find all these differences online.

Lux and XLine only differ visually while M sport comes with comfort and suspension with sport plus mode and paddle shifters.

Don't consider forum posts because most of them are enthusiasts of BMW and mostly like M sport.
Thanks for the info. I was initially thinking the same way as you are. But, as most people are getting M sport, I thought of asking this query.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2014, 09:30 AM   #7
Karthik
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy View Post
I picked the luxury line based upon what the way the differences appeared on the configurator:
http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/conte...modelcode=14XI

The biggest difference that I noticed were:

-The X-line has black plastic(?) around the wheelwells, that doesn't look so good to me.
-The M-Sport line has an edge to the wheelwells that protrude outward in what I believe to be a very unattractive manner, just my opinion. Also: the front bumper looks too aggressive to me, this isn't a Porsche 911 turbo, it is an SUV. (and this option costs $4600)
-The Luxury line has a calmer front end but has painted and FLAT edges of the wheelwells. This was what I decided I liked best, but only based on the images on the configurator.
Thanks for the info. I agree Luxury line will bring more exterior color towards the wheel and can look aggressive.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2014, 09:32 AM   #8
Karthik
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifecrisis View Post
I'm going to place an order in the next month or so and I've been going through the same deliberations. I've had two X3s and two Mini Coopers with the black plastic wheel well surround and I'm tired of cleaning excess wax off of it and treating it to keep it shining. This means I'll have to pick one of the lines to get body color wheel well surrounds.

I think I'm going with the Luxury Line and adding the multi-contour seats. I drove a F15 base model with the base suspension and it feels fine to me. I'm not going to drive the family hauler like a sports car, anyway. While I'd usually opt for the M Sport version, the lack of color choice ticks me off, too. I'm not a fan of the X Line trim, so that leaves Luxury by default. Hopefully the multi-contour seats feel as good as the BMW sport seats that I've always loved.

Good luck on your new car.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2014, 09:44 AM   #9
Karthik
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcelona View Post
From a running/board perspective
For USA wrt r/boards: MSport n/avail. xLine included $2100, LuxLine excluded $1200 ( added $400).

For X/line vs LuxLine the rest I think is cosmetic. Once, you get the car, for me I do not each day look at the r/rails, grills etc. Yes you are correct the differences are not major.

MSport with option 2VF (extra $900) gets adaptive M Suspension. However. some say that 2VM Dynamic damper control $1500 is more versatile than 2VF. From those who posted many have MSport ( with 2vf, unsure) , few with 2VM. Those who have 2vf/2vm love it. I have neither for: I do not take a top heavy SUV fast on the off ramps (safer when on the on ramps), roads are relatively smooth, dealer said pricey repairs. Also for EW(arranty), they may be considered normal w/tear and not covered. Just my subjective thoughts.

For me, I spent more time debating 19 or 20" wheels, took former as needs triumphed over wants. Initially signed deal for x35i, changed to 50i.
Thanks for the info. The more we keep on the car, the more we need to keep on maintenance and repairs. I am thinking for future too
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2014, 10:15 AM   #10
GoSooners
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik View Post
Thanks for the info. I really like the M sport steering wheel. Can we choose that option with out selecting the Msport line?
Karthik, I don't think the M steering wheel is available as a separate option item and probably cannot be retrofitted easily due to the paddle shifters.

Just wanted to make a correction to another member's post with regards to suspension on the M line. The M Line comes with the same exact standard suspension (ZSU) as the other lines. I've heard mixed reviews on this setup, but going to the M Adaptive dampers with rear air suspension was only another $900 with the M Line so I called my BMW CA 2 days after my order was placed to change it.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2014, 12:36 PM   #11
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Don't just look at pics and options lists, go look at and drive both. Worth the time to find dealers that have them both, there are differences. M sport has the sport auto which I love, no other line does.

Sport seats are a plus as we'll but I regret not getting the multi contours, which you can get on xline and Lux line as well as m sport. So I would highly recommend driving a few and deciding what options are important to you, seats, asthetic touches, wheel sizes and choices, transmission, etc and the suspension options.

Where I think it makes some sense to gather opinions on here is some of the driving or comfort options not the aesthetics. I still favor real life look and feel over our opinions. But you can gain some insights here on the advantages of certain things like the suspension upgrades, sport auto, seats, etc.

Personally, I think the sport auto alone justifies the m sport. Just felt smoother to me all around, despite being the same hardware. It just never misses a shift and is so smooth under all driving conditions. I regret not getting the multi contour seats because the side bolsters don't inflate on the sport seats as I thought they would (they do on my F30 and did on our X3) and the suspension upgrades are well worth it if you like spirited driving, but the standard suspension is still very good if not (I skipped DHP on my wife's F15 but have it on my F30).
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2014, 11:55 PM   #12
golovan
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35D

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSooners View Post
Karthik, I don't think the M steering wheel is available as a separate option item and probably cannot be retrofitted easily due to the paddle shifters.

Just wanted to make a correction to another member's post with regards to suspension on the M line. The M Line comes with the same exact standard suspension (ZSU) as the other lines. I've heard mixed reviews on this setup, but going to the M Adaptive dampers with rear air suspension was only another $900 with the M Line so I called my BMW CA 2 days after my order was placed to change it.
I could not find it in configurator. Was it changed? I don't want DHP, but want air suspension. It is $1500 and in conflict with MSport line.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 06:47 AM   #13
w4termelon
Private First Class
France
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 M sport 40d

Quote:

I don't know for US, but here in Europe you can order M steering wheel on any line as an option. So yeah, technically it can be added to any car.

Concerning suspensions, it is also different here in Europe (with some differences per country as well). On mine (France), M sport package includes "adaptative M suspensions" (2VF). My understanding is that 2VM and 2VF is the same, except that 2VF is specific to M sport (stiffer), and 2VM is for others (more confortable). Other options are "dynamic drive pack" (2VP) : it adds variable traction control, but not compatible with 3rd row seats, and finally "adaptive drive pack" (7SZ) : this is the combination of 2VM/2VF (one or the other, but not both) and 2VP (not available for M sport or 3rd row seats).
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 09:24 AM   #14
GoSooners
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by golovan View Post
I could not find it in configurator. Was it changed? I don't want DHP, but want air suspension. It is $1500 and in conflict with MSport line.
I'm able to still select it for $900. See the screenshot. You cannot select 2VM (Dynamic Damper Control + rear axle air suspension) with the M Sport package. This is a $1500 option that can be selected with non-M lines.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 10:19 AM   #15
golovan
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Strange, I see this.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 10:29 AM   #16
golovan
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I found that it is on Diesel and not on Gas engine for X35.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 10:50 AM   #17
GoSooners
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by golovan View Post
I found that it is on Diesel and not on Gas engine for X35.
I think you are right and the BMW site has a bug. Your Client Advisor should be able to add it.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 11:49 AM   #18
JJPP
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbimmerx5 View Post

You have a good point, I like Xline better.
Appreciate 1
      03-10-2014, 11:55 AM   #19
w4termelon
Private First Class
France
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 M sport 40d

Quote:
I'm able to still select it for $900. See the screenshot. You cannot select 2VM (Dynamic Damper Control + rear axle air suspension) with the M Sport package. This is a $1500 option that can be selected with non-M lines.
Which is absolutely normal, because, as I said, 2VF is the same thing as 2VM, except it has a stiffer configuration. 2VF already has "Dynamic Damper Control + rear axle air suspension", but in a "M" configuration.
Appreciate 0