03-10-2014, 07:04 AM   #1
w4termelon
Private First Class
France
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 M sport 40d

opening tailgate in my garage ?

Hello guys,

One question, how high is the tailgate when fully opened ? I know there is a possibility to configure how high it will open, so it would be great if someone could measure exactly how high it will go (minimum and maximum values) ??

I was wondering this because I just noticed this week end that it might be hard to open the tailgate when the car is in the garage and the garage door is also opened (it slides under half of the roof, on top of the car). If its too high, I would have then to park my car in reverse..

Thnx.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 08:46 AM   #2
coconut780
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 F15 xDrive50i

I'm pretty sure you can adjust the height that it stops at. I don't have mine yet so I haven't experimented but someone else will weigh in I'm sure.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 09:45 AM   #3
USAusi
Private
Rep
Drives: x5 35d

There is a very wide range of adjustment, all the way down to "too low to stand under". Mine is in the garage right now and I can't open the door the whole way, so I can't measure it right now, but I am certain there will be enough adjustment to keep it below your needs, it can be limited so that it doesn't go above the car roof line.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 11:00 AM   #4
rawskyb
Private
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, Porsche Macan GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by w4termelon View Post
Hello guys,

One question, how high is the tailgate when fully opened ? I know there is a possibility to configure how high it will open, so it would be great if someone could measure exactly how high it will go (minimum and maximum values) ??
I just went out and measured for you: my F15 35d with Luxury line and 19" wheels opens to a height of 83", give or take a half inch or so (it's hard to get an exact measurement since the highest point is in the middle of the hatch, right about where the windshield wiper is attached). This is the default opening height, which I assume is the MAXIMUM opening height. I have not attempted to adjust this, as mine fits under my garage door just fine (with several inches of clearance). I would assume that if you get 20" wheels (or 18" wheels) that this height might be an inch or two higher or lower.

As others have indicated, you can probably adjust this down quite a bit, but once you reach a certain point, you will be ducking under the hatch to avoid hitting your head to access the rear area.

HTH...
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 02:55 PM   #5
w4termelon
Private First Class
France
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 M sport 40d

I think it should be ok because when the garage door is fully opened, the lowest point is around 206cm (81"). If I close it, then the clearance will be around 230cm (>90").
So I can either adjust parameter to open the tailgate lower than 81", or just close the garage door before opening the tailgate.
Thanks for your feedback !
Appreciate 0