BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-10-2014, 08:18 AM   #1
BMWMico
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 30e

X5 35d - Extended test-drive

It’s been two weeks since I got my new BMW X5 35d. The back story first:

I had a 2012 X5 Diesel on a lease, I had it then for about a year and a half, and me and my wife started to think about the replacement. First of all – another X5 was out of the question. We got the 2012 mainly because we have two kids, we were thinking about another one, and my wife said that we have to get a car with a 3rd row, so X5 was it. However I didn’t really like it – heavy, big, stiff steering, mileage not great. So the debate was between the 5 series and X3.

Then my dealership got our first 2014 X5, and a week later I went to BMW Ride and Drive Event. When I got back – the only question what do I want on my next X5, because I was sold.

Then there was the dilemma between gas and Diesel. On one side – gas was smoother, and my wife had one traumatic experience of almost running out of Diesel without a Diesel station nearby. On the other side – I love the torque Diesel offers, but mainly the waiting list for 35i xDrive was too long, and I wanted to get a new car before I had to pay registration for the old one. So Diesel it was. Here is what I got:

The Build

Alpine white with Mocha Nappa leather
Luxury Line
Premium package
Driver Assistance package
Driver Assistance Plus with ACC
Luxury seating package
Mocha Interior Design package
3rd row seats
Running boards

A couple of notes about the build:

M Sport Line looked like a bit too much, but I would definitely recommend any line at least because you get a sport steering wheel, which feels much better than standard.
We actually decided against the 3rd row seats because we don’t really used them, but I added them in the end for resale value. It helped me to unload my old X5.
Mocha was kind of expensive, but my wife really liked it, and it looks amazing. Leather dashboard is great too.
I am not sure if I made the right decision by not getting Harman Kardon, but the stock system is not bad at all, definitely better than the one on the old X5.
Multi-contoured seats are worth the money, very comfortable. I hoped for massage, like the 5 and 7, but it is not offered.

The driving experience

You have to concentrate or rev it up to feel that it is a Diesel, but normally the car is smooth and quiet. Steering feel is very different, but I got used to it very fast, and I like it a lot. Driving Dynamics Controls make a big difference in the feel of the car. I mainly drive in Eco Pro mode, Comfort mode is very peppy, and I used Sport mode only for the video demonstration.

The big part of the driving experience is all the active safety features that I got on the car:

Active Cruise control is the best, and this is something I really wanted. You set the cruise control, adjust the distance to the car in front of you, and you steer. The system will see the car in front ahead of time, adjust acceleration, apply brakes if needed, and when it clears – accelerates back. It works just as well in Eco Pro mode, and I see a big difference in mileage (by the way I average 26 MPG vs. 21 in my old car).

Active Driving Assistant: blind spot detection is great, I could live without lane departure, Accident Alert is pretty impressive – the car alerts you if there is a sudden change in speed of the vehicle in front of you, so it doesn’t just warn you when you get close – it warns you if you are closing too fast.

Efficient Dynamics: Eco Pro makes a big difference. Mileage display shows you how much you save by using Eco Pro since reset, and it is measured in miles. On my first tank I got about 44 miles saved out of 400 miles (I didn’t let it get close to empty). The notorious Automatic Start&Stop works rarely, and it is very smooth. It didn’t stop at all in traffic, it starts working only after driving for a few blocks in city driving. When you cruise and let go of the acceleration – RPM drop down to idle.

Overall, you get the feel of the luxury car that the X5 is – much closer to the 7 series feel than the old one. Rush hour commute feels much less stressful, I feel safer, the car discourages you from speeding and taking things personally on the road. You are just more relaxed, and you feel rested after a drive.

Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 08:26 AM   #2
lovec1990
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X

Hi BMWSFMico nice video i have a question: you wrote when you cruise and let go of the acceleration – RPM drop down to idle this is coasting function right?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 09:48 AM   #3
USAusi
Private
Rep
Drives: x5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovec1990
Hi BMWSFMico nice video i have a question: you wrote when you cruise and let go of the acceleration – RPM drop down to idle this is coasting function right?
Correct, and this only happens in EcoPro mode.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 10:12 AM   #4
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 40i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAusi View Post
oh wow, I need to try eco pro. did not try it yet, lets see how the consumption goes. Right now after 3,000 km it is about 10 litres (30d).
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 10:38 AM   #5
rawskyb
Private
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, Porsche Macan GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAusi View Post
Based on my experience, whether it drops to idle or not depends on the speed/grade of the road. When driving out of the mountains a week ago in Eco Pro mode, sometimes it would go to idle, sometimes it would hold RPMs. It seemed to depend on whether it needed engine braking or not to hold speed (at least I think that's what was going on). But overall, it seemed to be adapting based on conditions in an intelligent manner. And I got 40 mpg on that trip home, a 91-mile distance. (round trip is 182 miles, and my overall MPG was 33 mpg).

And I did not have CC on FWIW.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2014, 12:44 PM   #6
BMWMico
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 30e

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovec1990 View Post
This is correct, let go of the gas - it goes to coasting.

To rawskyb - when you tough the brake pedal - coasting gets cancelled. I am guessing that it is using the engine to recharge the battery, but as soon as you brake - RPM goes back up.
Appreciate 0