06-09-2019, 02:19 AM   #67
paulkktang
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (F15)

Worked like a charm! I’m noise-free now

Quote:
Originally Posted by artem123 View Post
After i wrapped those things on gate itself with electrical tape rattle has completely gone.
This trick worked like a charm. One small strip of electrical tape along the outside edge of that plastic post/knob and I’m now noise-free and back to enjoying my X5 as it should. Bliss!

Thanks for the tips guys.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2019, 10:18 AM   #68
worldmast3r
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5

Garage List
2016 BMW X5  [0.00]
I was experiencing the constant on/off popping/rattling noise from trunk area, Took it to the dealer twice they had car for a week both of the times. 2nd time they said the noise has gone now technician has wrapped it with the tape in interior of surround plastic parts. However noise just came back after 3days if drive. And this time its not as usual but still present. Now I will just have to ignore it cause it doesn't seems to be fixed.

While car was in shop dealer had given Loaner car which was 2019 BMW X3 with only 300miles, I have experimented same noise from the trunk area as I was getting into my 2016 X5.

Thanks
Appreciate 1
hufington3120.50
      06-10-2019, 06:34 AM   #69
kumbasar
Registered
Rep
Drives: X6 4.0d

Hello I have solved mine (X6 2016MY) by simply unwinding the rubber round stopper and by unwinding it; it becomes higher and tightens the trunk. After making this; not even a single rattle at all.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2019, 01:18 PM   #70
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB

I am not sure if this was mentioned but flooring which covers the spare tire sometimes rattles well. If you install the rubber bump stops (1/2"?) pictured below you will not get a rattle from that area.

Appreciate 0
      12-14-2019, 08:42 PM   #71
swainbmw
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 x5 40!

Garage List
Trunk rattle

My dealer is saying noise is coming from rear sill plate 51-47-7-326-465. Any one else have this replaced ? Rear tail gate was adjusted
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2019, 10:40 AM   #72
Ferg
Master of my own domain!!
Rep
Drives: F82 M4/F15 X5

Everyone, I'm not sure if all the pops are the same, but I kept having one when going over uneven surfaces (body flex) and upon initial acceleration/deceleration. Oddly after having the BMW tech ride in the back while I kept hit the go pedal and brake, we found out it was the actual rear cargo cover. The metal pieces on each side were contacting the holder making a popping sound. A little strategically placed felt and now quiet.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2020, 02:19 PM   #73
Exdirectory
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15

I had a heard of elephants playing the drums in my boot every time I was driving along so I thought I would update with my experiences...

I tried the electrical tape, maybe a small gain to be had but did not solve for me

So I hit it big time and did the following:

1, Fold down the tail gate, there are two plastic covers surrounding the catches on left and right, easy to remove, two bolts behind, first add a sharpie mark so you can see where you are at now, i also sharpied the head of the bolt to get back to the same torque when I did it back up.

Undo, slide back the catch , i went to the max, adding about 3-4mm each side.

Closing the tail gate now needs slightly more a push but is definitely firmer, after closing try pushing, no noise.

There is a youtube video if you need help with this, i recall it was a white bmw x5, could have been 2nd gen but same thing applies.

I did not do a test at this point, but probably would have been useful. I think half my problem would have been solved.

2, If you tried the electrical tape trick, then remove the electrical tape on the black things.

3, Clean up the black things that look like they all touch when the boot is closed. So there are 8 of these to clean. 4 each side. For the left, 2 on the boot, 2 on the car and same on the right.

See this post and this post for the black things.

Someone said by cleaning these some noise went away.

4, Remove the little black covers on the attached photo, undo the torx screw inside, I put a sharpie on my screwdriver again so I could do back up to the same torque. Slide out the inner piece. I probably added 2mm per side.

See point (5), you can try this several times until you get a good connection on each side.

5, Add some vaseline or similar to the two black things on the boot (not car) which come down next to this black part in (4).

Close your boot, check how much vaseline gets transferred to the car part. If none, you can go more, if lots or your boot does not close you might have over done it!

I managed to get it perfect with a tiny bit of vaseline transferring so i knew I had a good fit.

6, Remove the sliding strap things from the base of your boot if you have them.

Someone said this might be the cause.

7, Remove the parcel shelf from the car.

Someone said this might be the cause.

8, If you have the hydraulic base opening thing in your boot that opens to show where a spare wheel should be except you have run flats, I found this had a lot of play in it where the catch is. i.e. I could play with it and see it move up and down.

I solved this by raising it up, I then put a cloth just under the catch hole and closed it again so it had no play. Once I knew how much cloth i needed I then replaced this with some sticky back velcro (the soft side) that was just the right thickness.

No play anymore here.

9, Go for a drive. If you have silence like I did then you will feel a massive sense of relief

10, Now add back in your parcel shelf, go for another drive.

11, Now add back in your slidy hook things, go for another drive.

Peace has never been so good!!!!!

Attached Images

Last edited by Exdirectory; 02-11-2020 at 02:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 12:57 AM   #74
swainbmw
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 x5 40!

Garage List
Bump stops

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachzay View Post
I have noticed off and on this popping sound coming from the tailgate area. Seems to only happen when I turn slowly or go over bumps fairly slow. Has anyone experienced this? It doesn't pop when travelling down a regular road and speed limit. Anyone figured out how to fix this?
Have bump stops adjusted will help 99 percent .
Appreciate 0