Major General
England
Rep
Drives: see above.

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [10.00]
2005 645  [9.00]
Facebook photo terms and conditions.

Anyone else concerned at FB's terms and conditions for any images you post publicly?

"For content that is covered by intellectual property rights, like photos and videos (IP content), you specifically give us the following permission, subject to your privacy and application settings: you grant us a non-exclusive, transferable, sub-licensable, royalty-free, worldwide license to use any IP content that you post on or in connection with Facebook (IP License). This IP License ends when you delete your IP content or your account unless your content has been shared with others, and they have not deleted it."

I've just deleted all my photos from FB and will only use links from 500px/flickr etc now.
      01-22-2012, 09:24 AM   #2
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: white 135

there's nothing to stop people from downloading the pictures really. I don't have any up because people were stealing them and being rude about some of the people in my photos (horse back riding stuff, posture and technique etc)

you can't control who views your pictures very well, so there's no point. Especially if you tag someone.

In reality, i use my facebook about once a month, i just don't see the point of it.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2012, 09:58 AM   #3
Chewy734
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i ZPP, ZSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1 View Post
In reality, i use my facebook about once a month, i just don't see the point of it.
Ditto. I see one point in it, and that's to keep in touch with friends who live far away (and aren't worth calling on the phone, or live internationally). But, most of the time it's people bitching, posting stupid crap, etc. People used to get pissed at me for not commenting on their crap, reading their wall, etc. After telling them I have better things to do (which includes sleep), they've stopped bothering me about it.
      01-22-2012, 10:00 AM   #4
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: white 135

haha, yeah, people get pretty upset when you say "i don't use facebook enough to bother"

or if someone locates me and adds me as a friend they go "ummm, there's nothing on your page, you need to add stuff" my reply "i told you not to bother to add me "
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2012, 10:26 AM   #5
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

I have my FB page (which I resisted starting until Wifey and most of my family coerced me into it) locked down pretty tight. And I upload small versions of my images. FB compression screws them up during upload, so anything someone steals will be useless for printing or reuse elsewhere.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2012, 11:58 AM   #6
MaximusJ
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 340Xi MG 2017

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
I have my FB page (which I resisted starting until Wifey and most of my family coerced me into it) locked down pretty tight. And I upload small versions of my images. FB compression screws them up during upload, so anything someone steals will be useless for printing or reuse elsewhere.
Exactly. Just dont upload them in high resolution and there's basically nothing major that can be done with them; except for posting on their own wall or on forums. But copyright-wise, they cant really get any advantages out of them other then bragging to people that they took the shot. That, I dont think anything will stop them since they still can take screenshot out of your flickr account and make a jpg, post them on facebook or forums and so on.

As for me, I just keep my high resolution files far from internet; period. 800x600 shots are more then enough to show what the real shot looks like and if that shot's gonna attract some attention, its still gonna do in 800x600.

Some will say just watermark them, but I dont really like doing that since most of the watermarks draws too much attention from the subject.

Jet Black '06 E90 325I
[Garage]
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2012, 12:10 PM   #7
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

The whole "no download" thing on Flicker is a joke anyway. It's easy enough to bypass if you know what you're doing. If an image shows up on a webpage, you can always isolate it and download. It's just the way HTML works. Best thing to do is like you said, keep the resolution low. Use PS to "Save for Web" before uploading.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2012, 12:27 PM   #8
Seminole
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Red Flyer

Garage List
2008 E90 328i  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
The whole "no download" thing on Flicker is a joke anyway. It's easy enough to bypass if you know what you're doing. If an image shows up on a webpage, you can always isolate it and download. It's just the way HTML works. Best thing to do is like you said, keep the resolution low. Use PS to "Save for Web" before uploading.
If you zoom in on a certain photo, then go to "see all sizes", it opens the photo up in a window where it allows you to right click on it and save it. I just started using Flickr and that was pretty disappointing when I found out.
      01-25-2012, 01:15 AM   #9
TL
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Happy on H&R coil overs

Garage List
2008 335xi  [1.00]
thanks for sharing Paul. I just use FB to catch up with family members across the state and to promote my photog business (i got several wedding request through it).

Just need to get more "likes" on my photo page
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2012, 03:29 AM   #10
- Paul -
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: see above.

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [10.00]
2005 645  [9.00]
It's not the great unwashed public I'm bothered about - Its Facebook - they can basically use your images from what I can make out!

"you grant us a non-exclusive, transferable, sub-licensable, royalty-free, worldwide license to use any IP content that you post on or in connection with Facebook"

And it sounds like they can license your pics to others aswell!! -

I have since removed all my photos from my FB photo page and will only be linking in from 500.px or flickr now.