04-04-2020, 04:06 PM   #903
Rated M4Speed
Long Time Lurker
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15

KOMBI Fault, illumination not working , Dark cluster

Hello everyone !!

Long time lurker but first post hope someone can help me ! . I'm fairly new to coding and using tools on my f15. Issue is couple months ago I was driving and all of sudden my dash went black. Meaning no illumination lights from the cluster . I figured it was something small like a blown fuse or just needed a battery reset or something . Nothing worked. I'm struggling now months with this and it's hard to drive as I can not see the dash at night . The needles work , the rpm, speed works properly, it's just the illumination , there is no light . I checked the dimmer switch and made sure it's all the way up which it is .

Anyways back to my question I recently ran inst-D diagnostic on my car to show faults , at first there were many probably due to battery disconnect. I cleared the faults and re run diagnostics. This time only 2 faults and both from KOMBI unit .

I was playing around with inst- d and noticed that there was pretty much updates to every single ECU in my car since it's been a while since I been In service . I read on forums that some updates afterwards don't allow coding anymore , so I made sure I didn't update anything but I noticed this very strange request under the plan it was telling me it wanted to preform. Attached is a photo of what came up and a video of what actually is not lighting up . I could pay if need be but with losing my job due to the virus things are very tight . Right now with the coronavirus I help local seniors here in NJ, USA get around and they depend on me . I really need to be able to see my dash again at night . Any help will totally be appreciated
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 08:16 PM   #904
Xdrive_!
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 Xdrive 40e

CPO BMW X5 XDrive40e 2016 Bought AUG 2019, Issues Already...

I bought a 2016 BMW X5 XDrive40e Aug 2019 with 22765 Miles. During my drive off the lot dealer mentioned it was fully serviced and taken care off, but X5 popped for an Oil Change in OCT. contacted dealership sales they mentioned I'm good for next 8K miles when service is due.

After 8 months and putting 3400 miles I had a Check Engine Light on for a week and tried fuel cap a few times which fixed the problem couple of times, but I didn't want to take risks so took the X5 to the same dealer to check if the Oil change is causing the CEL. they have the X5 for two days now and didn't see CEL come back on or any codes showing the cause. I was checking myself If I purchased a lemon X5 which isn't mentioned on CarFax? any help?

During one off the calls with Service Advisor I was told I need to add 2 * Front Thrust Rod Bushing for Suspensions and Rear Differential Seal Gasket back of the X5. Considering I just drove only 3400 miles and X5 is less than 27K, I wonder how soon the Bush and Differential Seals wear off? any advise?

I was told since I'm out of manufacture warrant this FEB and these aren't covered under CPO. I was quoted $750 (Bushing) and $1200 (Differential Seals), Is it better to go with dealer or get it done with Indy Mechanic with OEM parts.? any advise?

Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 08:41 PM   #905
skoold2003
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i M Sport, M3(sold)

Garage List
2014 X5 50i  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2016BMWX540e View Post
I bought a 2016 BMW X5 XDrive40e Aug 2019 with 22765 Miles. During my drive off the lot dealer mentioned it was fully serviced and taken care off, but X5 popped for an Oil Change in OCT. contacted dealership sales they mentioned I'm good for next 8K miles when service is due.

After 8 months and putting 3400 miles I had a Check Engine Light on for a week and tried fuel cap a few times which fixed the problem couple of times, but I didn't want to take risks so took the X5 to the same dealer to check if the Oil change is causing the CEL. they have the X5 for two days now and didn't see CEL come back on or any codes showing the cause. I was checking myself If I purchased a lemon X5 which isn't mentioned on CarFax? any help?

During one off the calls with Service Advisor I was told I need to add 2 * Front Thrust Rod Bushing for Suspensions and Rear Differential Seal Gasket back of the X5. Considering I just drove only 3400 miles and X5 is less than 27K, I wonder how soon the Bush and Differential Seals wear off? any advise?

I was told since I'm out of manufacture warrant this FEB and these aren't covered under CPO. I was quoted $750 (Bushing) and $1200 (Differential Seals), Is it better to go with dealer or get it done with Indy Mechanic with OEM parts.? any advise?

I just replaced my thrust arms at 45k miles. Yours seems kind of low but I believe that it's a common issue for X5s. I did the job myself and it was a really easy DIY. Also I bought them on FCPeuro since they have a lifetime warranty. If you don't feel like doing it yourself I would buy the arms on FCPeuro and have an Indy do it.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 09:45 PM   #906
Xdrive_!
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoold2003 View Post
I just replaced my thrust arms at 45k miles. Yours seems kind of low but I believe that it's a common issue for X5s. I did the job myself and it was a really easy DIY. Also I bought them on FCPeuro since they have a lifetime warranty. If you don't feel like doing it yourself I would buy the arms on FCPeuro and have an Indy do it.
Thank you, what it takes or needs to do it DIY? I don't have anything to raise the vechile so.. I might need for Indy mechanic.

Dealer service advisor mentioned they as starting to wear off and needs attention, how many more miles will they bee good for??

Based on the above mentioned, what it means the check engine light coming on since week on/off with no codes?? Anything unusual??

Last edited by Xdrive_!; 04-09-2020 at 09:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2020, 09:05 PM   #907
KingBiscuit
KingBiscuit
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 BMW X5x35i/'14 Lexus EX350

Bitch everywhere online and anywhere you can find BMW email addresses, etc. Raise complete hell! Get a mechanic with a good enough decoding machine to read the codes, they’re just lying. If a code has ever come up it in the history!
      04-10-2020, 11:06 PM   #908
skoold2003
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i M Sport, M3(sold)

Garage List
2014 X5 50i  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2016BMWX540e View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoold2003 View Post
Thank you, what it takes or needs to do it DIY? I don't have anything to raise the vechile so.. I might need for Indy mechanic.

Dealer service advisor mentioned they as starting to wear off and needs attention, how many more miles will they bee good for??

Based on the above mentioned, what it means the check engine light coming on since week on/off with no codes?? Anything unusual??
I don't know how long they'll be good for. If they don't feel that bad you should be able to drive on them for a while. The only bad thing ally waiting is that it can put more strain on other parts.

Also ya.. if you don't have anything to lift the car you should probably seek out a good Indy

I have no idea about the check engine light
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2020, 03:34 PM   #909
AliBabaOO7
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 3.5 M sport

Drivetrain Malfunction

Hi Everyone,

I have a recent issue that came up. I started my 2016 X5 3.5, 43K miles one day and got an error saying "Drive train Malfunction" Drive Moderately, Maximum drive train output not available.

The X5 starts up as normal and then when I go into gear it hesitates a bit and then drives normally after about 20 seconds or so, but this does not occur with every start, sometimes it doesn't hesitate at all.

I ran my Autophix on it, and come back with 108A01 ( Charge air temperature sensor, electrical short circuit) & 121001 (Charging pressure sensor, electrical short circuit)

I purchased a new MAF sensor & MAP sensor, swapped around the MAP sensors, and still getting the same error codes on my Autophix as well as the Drive train malfunction.

Does anyone have an idea of possibly what else could I be missing here?

Thanks for any help!!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2020, 08:50 PM   #910
Xdrive_!
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

I got the X5 from the dealer, they still pushed to have NO CEL code on the vehicle. But, I checked with Auto Zone and they pulled a single code that P16EA and was told it is something to do with computer software. Can anyone help me understand what this code mean?

I've a road trip coming up driving from Texas to NewYork which requires me to tow a trailer, I'm concerned if this can be a quick fix or something I shouldn't be worried about for now..

https://www.engine-codes.com/p16ea.html
Appreciate 1
      04-16-2020, 10:09 AM   #911
chandler_m
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X5 xDrive40e

Angry Trunk rattle

Hi there, I have trunk rattle when I enter/exit driveways, drive over cracks/potholes in the road and just in general driving around the city of San Francisco. I took it to the dealer and they claimed they fixed it but it's still very present. It sounds like something is flexing/bending so the trunk rattles a bit, it's very annoying. Anyone else with the same issue?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2020, 11:05 AM   #912
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chandler_m View Post
Hi there, I have trunk rattle when I enter/exit driveways, drive over cracks/potholes in the road and just in general driving around the city of San Francisco. I took it to the dealer and they claimed they fixed it but it's still very present. It sounds like something is flexing/bending so the trunk rattles a bit, it's very annoying. Anyone else with the same issue?

yeah me too. exact same sound that ive chased for past 3 years. wd40, felt tape, etc to no help,sounds always comes back. my only frustration with an otherwise great machine.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2020, 12:56 PM   #913
chandler_m
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X5 xDrive40e

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS_SN View Post
yeah me too. exact same sound that ive chased for past 3 years. wd40, felt tape, etc to no help,sounds always comes back. my only frustration with an otherwise great machine.
When I took it they said there was a bulletin on it and they performed the work according to the bulletin. Grrr, guess I am going back to the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2020, 01:33 PM   #914
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chandler_m View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS_SN View Post
When I took it they said there was a bulletin on it and they performed the work according to the bulletin. Grrr, guess I am going back to the dealer.

if you can point me towards the bulletin number or ask your service advisor that would be great.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2020, 01:35 PM   #915
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
meanwhile try this
https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1597646
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 05:22 PM   #916
Chicane_S54
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F15 X5

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated M4Speed View Post
Hello everyone !!

Long time lurker but first post hope someone can help me ! . I'm fairly new to coding and using tools on my f15. Issue is couple months ago I was driving and all of sudden my dash went black. Meaning no illumination lights from the cluster . I figured it was something small like a blown fuse or just needed a battery reset or something . Nothing worked. I'm struggling now months with this and it's hard to drive as I can not see the dash at night . The needles work , the rpm, speed works properly, it's just the illumination , there is no light . I checked the dimmer switch and made sure it's all the way up which it is .

Anyways back to my question I recently ran inst-D diagnostic on my car to show faults , at first there were many probably due to battery disconnect. I cleared the faults and re run diagnostics. This time only 2 faults and both from KOMBI unit .

I was playing around with inst- d and noticed that there was pretty much updates to every single ECU in my car since it's been a while since I been In service . I read on forums that some updates afterwards don't allow coding anymore , so I made sure I didn't update anything but I noticed this very strange request under the plan it was telling me it wanted to preform. Attached is a photo of what came up and a video of what actually is not lighting up . I could pay if need be but with losing my job due to the virus things are very tight . Right now with the coronavirus I help local seniors here in NJ, USA get around and they depend on me . I really need to be able to see my dash again at night . Any help will totally be appreciated
The KOMBI is the cluster. Have you had any work done recently to the vehicle?
Have you pulled the cluster to check the physical connections? ISTA is telling you very clearly that there is a connection problem. I would check that first.
Then I might remove the connection and check for any dame to the cluster, bent pins. take a look at this:

remove cluster

If nothing is wrong I would go ahead and reflash (if you have an ICOM). I wouldn't give two shits about not being able not coding anymore you have much bigger safety issues like not being able to see your speedometer. Although that is crap I have never heard of not being able to code after a reflash, But if all you have is an ENET you can't reflash anyway you need an ICOM for that.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2020, 07:32 AM   #917
woody1397
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F15 40d

tow hitch

Hi guys, i never posted before, but i've run into an issue with a trailer tow hitch on my f15.
Yesterday i was towing a trailer, and after pulling the locking thingy on it i wanted to test if you could just press the button for it to go away(previously i just lifted the trailer and took it off manually). Doing that i forgot to put a cap on it, so i moved the trailer slightly and pressed hitch button, the trailer wasn't moved far enough so the hitch hit it very lightly.
Didn't think much of it, but now it is stuck in "intermediate position", almost where it's supposed to be i think.
I plugged in a laptop with ISTA+ and tried to move it with functions, but it only moved a little bit like it was stuck. So i tried to reinitialise it, but it didn't work. Now im constantly getting a code 802830, about it being no initialised. Neither of initialisation options work, all i get is a slight buzz under the bumper. I believe it is ORIS(?) version. I took the cap of the motor, and it works correctly, as in it rotates(there is a cap that connects orbiting gears to a tow hitch i believe). After i try to initalise a couple of times these are the errors i get:
Im pretty lost here, i guess there may be some connection issues, but the motor seems to operate okay. I think the hitch itself is somehow locked. Has anyone run into that problem before? Maybe coding AHS through e-sys may help?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2020, 07:39 AM   #918
Alex Morgan
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 (2014)

Hello,

This is my first real post so please go easy on me !

I have a F15 2014 (30d)

Since COVID-19 lockdown my car has sat on the drive for 7 weeks and not moved an inch

Last week I went to give it a run out and the battery was dead - so dead after trying to start it a few times there wasn't enough power to open the boot or lock the doors

I bought a CTEK MXS 5.0 charger and put it on charge for about 36 hrs using the points under the bonnet. The only way I could get into the car was by using the key inside the key fob - anyway after 36hrs on charge I took it out for a spin.

After a few miles the TPMS flashed up so I stopped and attempted to re set it - it stayed on 0% and eventually showed up as a TPMS failure

I came home and tried the spare key and still nothing - no locking etc.

I searched a few forums etc and some people are implying that the key fob issue and TPMS issue are linked together - they use the same RDC sensor ?

But I have no idea where the RDC sensor is or if the two issues are connected

Has anyone else had this issue or know how to fix it ?

Any help greatly appreciated

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2020, 11:50 AM   #919
Alex Morgan
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 (2014)

Hello,

Does anyone know what this little hoop does ?

https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/al...ictureid=74779

It's on a 2014 F15 in the boot behind the first aid kit panel - I thought it was an emergency boot release, it wasn't - I found that in the end - but I'm just curious to see what it is

I cant see anything about it on line or in the manual book

Thanks
Appreciate 1
      05-11-2020, 06:36 PM   #920
Buzzyboy
Registered
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2014 F15

Happy

I am so pleased with my vehicle. No issues to date.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2020, 10:12 AM   #921
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Morgan View Post
Hello,

Does anyone know what this little hoop does ?

It's on a 2014 F15 in the boot behind the first aid kit panel - I thought it was an emergency boot release, it wasn't - I found that in the end - but I'm just curious to see what it is

I cant see anything about it on line or in the manual book

Thanks
That is the emergency (manual) parking brake release. According to the owners manual...you should insert the screwdriver (in the tool bag) through the loop to help facilitate pulling it up...and this should release the parking brake. MAKE SURE you have the car blocked/chocked to prevent the vehicle from rolling into you or away from you.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2020, 01:28 PM   #922
YEN
Turkey
Rep
Drives: BMW F15 X5 - BMW F30 3 series

Hello,

Did any of you experience distortion or low light after the software? (Day light color change)

* the third one is working right.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 05:30 PM   #923
jch1511
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 50i,750i,650i,GL63

One of the rear heated seat just went out, not the switch, actual heating element. Dealer had to take the seat apart, coved by warranty. No biggie, just strange, F15 only has 20k on it.

First time with this issue, owned 10 euro autos in 25 years, never had to deal with before. We are on our 4th gen. X5, leaning something new every day.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 05:12 AM   #924
530dE39
Poland
Rep
Drives: 530d E39 12-2002

Garage List
2017 BMW x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jch1511 View Post
One of the rear heated seat just went out, not the switch, actual heating element. Dealer had to take the seat apart, coved by warranty. No biggie, just strange, F15 only has 20k on it.

First time with this issue, owned 10 euro autos in 25 years, never had to deal with before. We are on our 4th gen. X5, leaning something new every day.
My experience is that quality is going backwards instead of going up. My E39 5-series is still going without any mentionable issues on the way. It has almost 800k km on the counter and still going strong (530d).

The E65 7er was already a bit more cranky but still a very good vehicle in my opinion.

My current F15 x5.... well... I have it for 2 years almost and it has now 52k km on the clock.

It already got twice a new headunit (NBT), new adblue system, new BDC module, some new cables, a new rear light.

All in warranty, but warranty is becoming more and more important as the quality is going down.
Appreciate 0