04-05-2020, 12:14 PM   #1
Rated M4Speed
Long Time Lurker
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15

KOMBI no communication

Hello everyone !!

Long time lurker but first post hope someone can help me ! . I'm fairly new to coding and using tools on my f15. Issue is couple months ago I was driving and all of sudden my dash went black. Meaning no illumination lights from the cluster . I figured it was something small like a blown fuse or just needed a battery reset or something . Nothing worked. I'm struggling now months with this and it's hard to drive as I can not see the dash at night . The needles work , the rpm, speed works properly, it's just the illumination , there is no light . I checked the dimmer switch and made sure it's all the way up which it is .

Anyways back to my question I recently ran inst-D diagnostic on my car to show faults , at first there were many probably due to battery disconnect. I cleared the faults and re run diagnostics. This time only 2 faults and both from KOMBI unit .

I was playing around with inst- d and noticed that there was pretty much updates to every single ECU in my car since it's been a while since I been In service . I read on forums that some updates afterwards don't allow coding anymore , so I made sure I didn't update anything but I noticed this very strange request under the plan it was telling me it wanted to preform. Attached is a photo of what came up and a video of what actually is not lighting up . I could pay if need be but with losing my job due to the virus things are very tight . Right now with the coronavirus I help local seniors here in NJ, USA get around and they depend on me . I really need to be able to see my dash again at night . Any help will totally be appreciated
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-05-2020, 12:30 PM   #2
turboawd
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

Is it possible you have a bad connection to the cluster? A bad cluster?
Not sure if an update will fix a communication issue since your can't communicate with the cluster.
Have you tried just banging on the dash to see if it gets it working? Lol
Appreciate 1
      04-05-2020, 12:35 PM   #3
ponytuning
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 F16 50i, 15' F15 50i

Or maybe a fuse?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2020, 12:36 PM   #4
Rated M4Speed
Long Time Lurker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboawd View Post
Is it possible you have a bad connection to the cluster? A bad cluster?
Not sure if an update will fix a communication issue since your can't communicate with the cluster.
Have you tried just banging on the dash to see if it gets it working? Lol
Yes I have tried banging on like a mad man . I also removed the cluster , re mounted it and still same results .

Thanks a lot for the input 🙂
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2020, 12:39 PM   #5
Rated M4Speed
Long Time Lurker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponytuning View Post
Or maybe a fuse?
Yes I checked the fuses , they looked fine . Can you confirm which exact fuses if you know ? Hell, I went as far to pull everyone of them out and check each one .

I did notice now my passenger side fog light is out as well , not sure if they all interconnect some how . Doubt it though .

I was considering removing the cluster again , opening it up and checking each of the components to see maybe if short somewhere ? Just can't locate a schematics for it .

Thanks for the input .
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2020, 12:50 PM   #6
Rated M4Speed
Long Time Lurker
United_States
Rep

Is it recommended to update each of the ecu , or will I never be able to code if I did so ?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-05-2020, 02:06 PM   #7
ponytuning
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 F16 50i, 15' F15 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated M4Speed View Post
Yes I checked the fuses , they looked fine . Can you confirm which exact fuses if you know ? Hell, I went as far to pull everyone of them out and check each one .

I did notice now my passenger side fog light is out as well , not sure if they all interconnect some how . Doubt it though .

I was considering removing the cluster again , opening it up and checking each of the components to see maybe if short somewhere ? Just can't locate a schematics for it .

Thanks for the input .

I found this fuse box diagram: https://fuse-box.info/bmw/bmw-x5-f15...uses-and-relay

It looks like it's fuses 50, 52 for the instrument cluster.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2020, 03:39 PM   #8
Rated M4Speed
Long Time Lurker
United_States
Rep

[QUOTE=ponytuning;26011449]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated M4Speed View Post

I found this fuse box diagram: https://fuse-box.info/bmw/bmw-x5-f15...uses-and-relay

It looks like it's fuses 50, 52 for the instrument cluster.

Thank you kindly , I will double check again now !
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2020, 03:52 PM   #9
turboawd
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

I'd check the wiring. Check wires tight into connector at cluster end. Check the ground.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 09:36 AM   #10
luv2vexx
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D F10

Hi

I am having the same error code with the Kombi.

Did you manage to find any fix?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2020, 10:52 AM   #11
luv2vexx
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D F10

Problem solved, flashed with newer psdzdata and all working now. took about 8 min.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2021, 03:21 AM   #12
mackey22
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50 - 2015

psdzdata

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2vexx View Post
Problem solved, flashed with newer psdzdata and all working now. took about 8 min.

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem like you luv2vexx. Could you send me instruction how to coding, please ? I have enet cable and ISAT D and ISTA P but no idea how to.

Thank you

Cez
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2021, 07:24 AM   #13
XxBBVTMxX
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d, 2008 Lexus IS-F

Garage List
Just FYI (and not sure if it'll work for you)

I had a similar problem on MY14 F15. It wouldn't comunícate to the KOMBI and the HU using ISTA+. I retrofitted to a 6WB, and my vehicle had ISTEP of 2013. Everything works fine, just keep getting faults when I run ISTA+. I updated it recently to 2020 ISTEP and all my fault logging issues went away (updated all ECUs with latest data).

The only issue I have is that it still tells me it has issues communicating to the HU and the RSE and it's because I have an Android Screen installed (and I'm sure it's because of the additional harness I have to use). But everything works fine. Not saying this will fix it for you, just saying what I did and my issues went away.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2021, 04:12 PM   #14
mackey22
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50 - 2015

Today I connected a new rectifier and after charging for about 2 hours my meter showed a result of 14.86v. To my surprise, after turning on the ignition, the cluster appeared and everything was back to normal except the clock. I ordered a new battery because ISTA + also showed connection errors:

Thank you for any information
Attached Images

Appreciate 0