BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-03-2020, 09:09 PM   #23
turboawd
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 201 View Post
Then I will be the first to say I was wrong. I just had 2 cars in for brake service and they did not calibrate anything other than use ista to disengage the electric brake so figured it wasn't needed
I was trying to be sarcastic.....
There is nothing to calibrate for the sensor. When the pad wears down, the sensor touches the rotor and wears down, cutting the wire eventually. As mentioned above, it's possible an error code may be stored, but no calibration. Usually you change the pads along with a new sensor, then just reset, using the trip reset button trick.
Appreciate 1
      04-03-2020, 09:48 PM   #24
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmws

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboawd View Post
I was trying to be sarcastic.....
There is nothing to calibrate for the sensor. When the pad wears down, the sensor touches the rotor and wears down, cutting the wire eventually. As mentioned above, it's possible an error code may be stored, but no calibration. Usually you change the pads along with a new sensor, then just reset, using the trip reset button trick.
this damn quarantine got me in my feelings
Appreciate 1
HJ478.00
      04-04-2020, 01:51 PM   #25
Chicane_S54
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F15 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 201 View Post
Did I come off to you as some BMW guru? Quite frankly I no nothing about cars and stay in my lane when I have nothing to contribute. All you have contributed to this thread is to come up with that OP needs ISTA 3 times for calibration on a brake sensor that doesn't exist
Who said anything about the brake sensor needs to be calibrated??
I said he may need to run an adaptation, if that frayed wire caused a short he may very well have lost a calibration. I have lost calibrations just from unhooking the battery, so have others. Re-read some of the earlier posts just this month.

These vehicles are highly computer dependent and VERY sensitive. This isn't an 85 Chevy that we are talking about. You are never know what is really going on under the sheets without the proper software...period. It is pointless asking someone to debug a problem like this, over the internet, without the proper software.

Ran diagnostics on my E90 (no dash lights , everything running fine) and it tells me that my thermostat is going bad and needs to be replaced. Now you tell me, when would you like to find out that your thermostat is going bad? Months ahead of time when you have time to order the parts and plan the repair, or when you are on a long road trip and your car begins to overheat?

That's just the way it is. I didn't design these vehicles but I do recognize the limitations of trying to troubleshoot these vehicles without software. Sad to say but it is a waste of time to do so.

Last edited by Chicane_S54; 04-04-2020 at 02:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2020, 03:26 AM   #26
Bottled
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: F15

Had similar problem and you need to push the pistons in on both sides and change the sensor (tumbling the wires together works as well) to be able to reset reset the service light.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2020, 12:56 PM   #27
alphaod
Mmmmm…
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15

Garage List
A cheap friend of mine soldered they wires for his old sensor back together instead of replacing it.

Also there is this wonderful function that is ignore list that you put people in never have to read their BS.
Appreciate 1
HJ478.00
      04-05-2020, 04:02 PM   #28
Chicane_S54
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F15 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboawd View Post
electric power steering is standard on the x5, yet dual batteries is not.
Funny how you know everything.
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...ery/1VnXzY6x4V

I have the Aux battery, I do not have active steering.
Appreciate 0