BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-16-2019, 02:15 PM   #1
fastgoat
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW m550i xdrive

Driver Stabilization

I'm still getting the stabilization initialization in progress warnings on the car. I managed to pull the codes with Bimmerlink (tried clearing but they come right back).

C95423 - ICM: Steering Angle Front Axle Effective - Single Invalid
48239C - Sensor - Steering Angle Index - Defect
D51A53 - Signal Error (IS Steering Angle Front Axle, ID:AVL_STEA_FTAX) Sender: ICM_QL - Qualifier
48078B - Front Axle Steering Angle Signal Above VFUSI Not Initialized
D01B2A - Signal Error (IF Position EPS; ID:AVL_PO_EPS) - Invalid
480128 - SBS Function - Steering Angle Effective - Model Error

All relate to the steering angle sensor, and popped after I disconnected the battery two weeks ago for an unrelated issue. Battery is showing 87% with the last change being 25,000km ago.

Any ideas? Tried the manual reset, but no luck.

Last edited by fastgoat; 03-16-2019 at 03:28 PM..
Appreciate 1
      03-16-2019, 04:08 PM   #2
Kraftwerk AG
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Mein F Fünfundachtzig Einhorn

Have your tried using www.bmwfault.codes to help narrow down your malfunction?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2019, 04:13 PM   #3
fastgoat
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeO View Post
Have your tried using www.bmwfault.codes to help narrow down your malfunction?
I've looked up all of the codes on that specific site, but am having trouble getting it narrowed down. I assume it's either the steering angle sensor requiring replacement or the battery (although I believe this batter was replaced as part of the CPO process 12 months ago).

Just odd that this specific error has only occurred directly after disconnecting the battery...

Curious if I'd need to replace both batteries together given the setup of the N55...the larger vs smaller batteries in the trunk...

Last edited by fastgoat; 03-16-2019 at 04:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2019, 06:26 PM   #4
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92n52 & f15n57

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastgoat View Post
I've looked up all of the codes on that specific site, but am having trouble getting it narrowed down. I assume it's either the steering angle sensor requiring replacement or the battery (although I believe this batter was replaced as part of the CPO process 12 months ago).

Just odd that this specific error has only occurred directly after disconnecting the battery...

Curious if I'd need to replace both batteries together given the setup of the N55...the larger vs smaller batteries in the trunk...
1st try resetting errors and see if they come back.

2nd Try doing recalibration. For e90 procedure is as follows, but I am assuming it might be similar on f15. Start the car with the steering at the center. Slowly turn all the way to the left and wait 2 sec. Turn all the way to right and hold it like that for about 2 sec. Then turn back to the middle. This helps sensor learn where the center is.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2019, 07:44 PM   #5
fastgoat
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by W37V View Post

2nd Try doing recalibration. For e90 procedure is as follows, but I am assuming it might be similar on f15. Start the car with the steering at the center. Slowly turn all the way to the left and wait 2 sec. Turn all the way to right and hold it like that for about 2 sec. Then turn back to the middle. This helps sensor learn where the center is.
Some go away, but other's remain. I've reset and done the recalibration, but to no avail. The issue is it's not the standard DSC error where the recalibration works (had that in the past). This time the car states "Initialization in progress. Driving stabilization will be available after automatic initialization."

So it seems to be stuck trying to initialize DSC, but I can still flip through comfort, eco, and sport. Also, I can still turn traction on and off, but the turn signals won't shut off on their own....just an odd situation.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2019, 09:39 AM   #6
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Some go away, but other's remain. I've reset and done the recalibration, but to no avail. The issue is it's not the standard DSC error where the recalibration works (had that in the past). This time the car states "Initialization in progress. Driving stabilization will be available after automatic initialization."

So it seems to be stuck trying to initialize DSC, but I can still flip through comfort, eco, and sport. Also, I can still turn traction on and off, but the turn signals won't shut off on their own....just an odd situation.
I was hunting the same error (issues) on my e92. Blinkers worked. Only some errors would come back, but it would trigger bunch of things not working. I tried almost everything.

Cleaning the disk, soldering, checked wires, calibration, etc. https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=520467

The thing that did the trick for me was new alignment. It was my attempt to fix it before throwing parts at it.

So, how's your alignment?

Here is what TIS says about angle sensor:
Check out top 5 results:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...steering+angle
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2019, 10:52 AM   #7
fastgoat
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I was hunting the same error (issues) on my e92. Blinkers worked. Only some errors would come back, but it would trigger bunch of things not working. I tried almost everything.

Cleaning the disk, soldering, checked wires, calibration, etc. https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=520467

The thing that did the trick for me was new alignment. It was my attempt to fix it before throwing parts at it.

So, how's your alignment?

Here is what TIS says about angle sensor:
Check out top 5 results:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...steering+angle
Funny you mention an alignment. I had an alignment done back in January and it was the first thing that popped in my mind. I went back and they rechecked/realigned at the start of this issue. It actually solved everything for about 3 days, and then this dreaded warning light came back.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2019, 12:38 PM   #8
W37V
[Oo=||=oO]
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Funny you mention an alignment. I had an alignment done back in January and it was the first thing that popped in my mind. I went back and they rechecked/realigned at the start of this issue. It actually solved everything for about 3 days, and then this dreaded warning light came back.
They had to do alignment twice on my car to get it sorted out. Steering wheel was off by about 2 degrees. Once they sorted it, error went away for good. I know it's silly, but check your tire pressure - make sure it's even. Something is making your sensor going crazy.

Btw. If you need to remove your steering wheel and take things apart, don't be afraid of it. It's super easy. The biggest hurdle will be your nerves.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2019, 01:18 PM   #9
fastgoat
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
They had to do alignment twice on my car to get it sorted out. Steering wheel was off by about 2 degrees. Once they sorted it, error went away for good. I know it's silly, but check your tire pressure - make sure it's even. Something is making your sensor going crazy.

Btw. If you need to remove your steering wheel and take things apart, don't be afraid of it. It's super easy. The biggest hurdle will be your nerves.
I may be heading back for round three on the alignment, but perhaps at a new shop this time around. After the first alignment the wheel was a bit off, but no error until I unhooked the battery. Second time around, error cleared and wheel was straight. Three days later the code was back...yay!

I should be alright tearing things apart. Between working on my GTO and MK7 R, I'm not overly frightened....but you just never know with BMW ha!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2019, 01:58 PM   #10
CatalinP
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 2014 3.0xd

You need to run steering recalibration sequence in ISTA+. Any dealer can do that for you.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2019, 02:10 PM   #11
fastgoat
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatalinP View Post
You need to run steering recalibration sequence in ISTA+. Any dealer can do that for you.
I've got an appointment at the dealer this Friday. $180 to recalibrate....can't say I'm excited.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2019, 06:24 PM   #12
phat8186
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i F30 EBII E92 AW

Quote:
I've got an appointment at the dealer this Friday. $180 to recalibrate....can't say I'm excited.
Just curious did the dealer $180 recalibration fix the issue?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2019, 04:28 PM   #13
blasterman78
Rep
Drives: X5 F15

injust got the same codes after replacing my battery, anybody know what fixed the issue?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 12:20 PM   #14
Chicane_S54
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F15 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by phat8186 View Post
Just curious did the dealer $180 recalibration fix the issue?
Same here.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 11:33 AM   #15
RED_Y_
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 3.5d

Seems like it did, you can try it without paying dealer $200, just get ISTA+ installed and DIY.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2020, 06:20 PM   #16
leo95se
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 e92 M3, '15 F15 X5d

Hey folks. Anyone know if BimmerCode can do a recalibration?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2020, 09:34 PM   #17
yewlock
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo95se View Post
Hey folks. Anyone know if BimmerCode can do a recalibration?
No
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2021, 03:12 AM   #18
OzzieF15
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50d F15

Quote:
Quote:

Thank you! The recalibration worked for me.
Appreciate 0