BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-19-2020, 08:50 PM   #133
imtheant
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 F85 Melbourne Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikew2069 View Post
Glad to hear you got it situated. I'm curious to see if you put some weight in the back if you get any bottoming out going over a speed bump or large dip....

That's the problem I had with my Silvers rear springs so I put the H&Rs in back there. My ride is amazing now but I'd like to be 1/2" lower in the rear. If you pass that test without bottoming out, I'm going to order those rear springs.
Mike, are you glad you chose the Silver coilovers vs the BC? I am debating between both right now.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 09:02 PM   #134
classic_erik
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23' X7 40i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by classic_erik View Post
Probably only 60 miles since Monday but still going smooth! Working from home with everything going on so not going far these days
Glad to hear you got it situated. I'm curious to see if you put some weight in the back if you get any bottoming out going over a speed bump or large dip....

That's the problem I had with my Silvers rear springs so I put the H&Rs in back there. My ride is amazing now but I'd like to be 1/2" lower in the rear. If you pass that test without bottoming out, I'm going to order those rear springs.
I'll definitely keep you posted on this!
      04-01-2020, 02:25 PM   #135
mikew2069
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by imtheant View Post
Mike, are you glad you chose the Silver coilovers vs the BC? I am debating between both right now.
I'm very happy with my setup but I had to work to get it there. 1) I've never tried the BC kit and 2) I'm running H&R springs in the rear of my Silver kit.

If OP reports back that the rear does not bottom out with weight in the back and he is happy with the ride quality then BC might be the way to go. Or if Silvers has developed a stiffer barrel spring for the rear of their kit then that might be the way to go.
2016 F15 50i ///M-Sport
BM3/H&R/Borla
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 05:11 PM   #136
classic_erik
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by imtheant View Post
I'm very happy with my setup but I had to work to get it there. 1) I've never tried the BC kit and 2) I'm running H&R springs in the rear of my Silver kit.

If OP reports back that the rear does not bottom out with weight in the back and he is happy with the ride quality then BC might be the way to go. Or if Silvers has developed a stiffer barrel spring for the rear of their kit then that might be the way to go.
Hey random question but how would I know if I "bottom out"? Is there a particular sound I should listen for? Sorry if that's a naive question. I still plan on keeping everyone updated but I'm literally only driving my car to the grocery store and back these days...
      04-07-2020, 02:04 PM   #137
mikew2069
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Hey random question but how would I know if I "bottom out"? Is there a particular sound I should listen for? Sorry if that's a naive question. I still plan on keeping everyone updated but I'm literally only driving my car to the grocery store and back these days...
Yea you would know it if it happened. It's a "bang" "thump" feeling and sound when the spring compresses.
2016 F15 50i ///M-Sport
BM3/H&R/Borla
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 02:34 PM   #138
classic_erik
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Yea you would know it if it happened. It's a "bang" "thump" feeling and sound when the spring compresses.
Thanks. Haven't experienced that just yet. Fingers crossed.

In other news I did have an unusual experience with the rear maybe you could weigh in on. Yesterday while going over a small speed bump I heard a very loud "TWANG!!!". Only lasted a second and my driving experience after was fine. Thoughts?
      04-07-2020, 02:57 PM   #139
mikew2069
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:

In other news I did have an unusual experience with the rear maybe you could weigh in on. Yesterday while going over a small speed bump I heard a very loud "TWANG!!!". Only lasted a second and my driving experience after was fine. Thoughts?
Aside from the sound, did you feel anything?
2016 F15 50i ///M-Sport
BM3/H&R/Borla
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 02:58 PM   #140
classic_erik
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Aside from the sound, did you feel anything?
Not at all actually.
      04-07-2020, 03:09 PM   #141
mikew2069
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Not at all actually.
Not sure. I'd see if you can reproduce it. If you can, the only thing I can think of is to make sure everything is torqued down properly.
2016 F15 50i ///M-Sport
BM3/H&R/Borla
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 11:23 AM   #142
mikew2069
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Not at all actually.
How's everything going? Curious if you've done anymore testing?
2016 F15 50i ///M-Sport
BM3/H&R/Borla
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 09:53 PM   #143
classic_erik
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Not at all actually.
How's everything going? Curious if you've done anymore testing?
Hey man, so far so good!
      06-01-2020, 09:03 AM   #144
SupersixM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw X6M

Quote:
Hey man, so far so good!
Hey it been a while,, How would you judge these BC BR coilovers to stock or whatever else you were running? Better ? Worse? Comfortable? Please let us know.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 07:37 PM   #145
fromkrypton
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35d

Garage List
2015 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
I ordered a set of silvers last week. They will take 2 weeks to be made and sent to me. I'm very exited to get them on.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 05:12 PM   #146
classic_erik
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersixM View Post
Quote:
Hey man, so far so good!
Hey it been a while,, How would you judge these BC BR coilovers to stock or whatever else you were running? Better ? Worse? Comfortable? Please let us know.
Hey, so I'm still very happy with the BC Racing Coilovers. I am in New England where the roads suck, and thought my experience on 22s was going to be a kick in the nuts lowered. It's surprisingly comfortable over the bumps and potholes. That said I am on max soft dampening at the moment but it was a little harsh on the out of the box settings. The stance is great at 30" all around even with a little excessive negative camber. I am installing camber kits next week because I am anal about a super flush look but they are not necessary.
      06-02-2020, 05:32 PM   #147
SupersixM
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Hey, so I'm still very happy with the BC Racing Coilovers. I am in New England where the roads suck, and thought my experience on 22s was going to be a kick in the nuts lowered. It's surprisingly comfortable over the bumps and potholes. That said I am on max soft dampening at the moment but it was a little harsh on the out of the box settings. The stance is great at 30" all around even with a little excessive negative camber. I am installing camber kits next week because I am anal about a super flush look but they are not necessary.
I’m in NYC so our potholes have a long standing feud on whose the worst lol as apposed to Baseball. So, would you say the BC gives a better ride than stock?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 08:47 PM   #148
classic_erik
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Blank

It's an vastly different experience and my statement may sound contradicting but here it goes:

You can feel little ripples in the road more than the stock ride going down a reasonably smooth road, but overall it's more comfortable / less impactful to your core when going over potholes. The handling feels tighter on the highway on-ramps at high speeds, but all and all it's tough to beat the comfort and broad stability of the stock suspension sitting up high. There are concessions made but the overall gains are easily made up.

Also I forgot to mention that the initial break-in period is a little nerve racking but once you've tweaked the springs, adjusted your ride height, dialed in your dampening and waited patiently to perform a final (second) alignment, you will be rewarded! My experience post install was a little rough but I stuck in there and got to where I needed to be.

I feel like BC Racing make a quality product and are still building their brand. They will never match KW and the pricing reflects that. For someone like me who isn't tracking but wants to the benefits of a coilover at a reasonable price, it's a good balance.
      06-03-2020, 04:38 AM   #149
SupersixM
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
It's an vastly different experience and my statement may sound contradicting but here it goes:

You can feel little ripples in the road more than the stock ride going down a reasonably smooth road, but overall it's more comfortable / less impactful to your core when going over potholes. The handling feels tighter on the highway on-ramps at high speeds, but all and all it's tough to beat the comfort and broad stability of the stock suspension sitting up high. There are concessions made but the overall gains are easily made up.

Also I forgot to mention that the initial break-in period is a little nerve racking but once you've tweaked the springs, adjusted your ride height, dialed in your dampening and waited patiently to perform a final (second) alignment, you will be rewarded! My experience post install was a little rough but I stuck in there and got to where I needed to be.

I feel like BC Racing make a quality product and are still building their brand. They will never match KW and the pricing reflects that. For someone like me who isn't tracking but wants to the benefits of a coilover at a reasonable price, it's a good balance.

Ok .. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 08:14 AM   #150
NOTORIOUS VR
Rep
Drives: B5 S4

Quote:
FYI - I have this issue with the BC coils I just installed - but I have the rears completely turned down all the way. It's clear that at that height the springs are simply not stiff enough to deal with that ride height as there is maybe only 1.5-2 inches between the frame and the bump stop on the rear control arm at this height. So if you're more reasonable with the drop I don't think it's going to be much of an issue.

I think BC choose spring rates that are simply too soft all around. The truck rides well and is comfortable and I'm happy with the purchase but I will be reaching out to BC to see if they have any suggestions/options on spring rate changes front and back that will help avoid this issue and stiffen it up slightly.

Appreciate 0
      12-30-2022, 09:12 PM   #151
f15booty
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 03 M3 racecar / F15 X5D-M

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS VR View Post
FYI - I have this issue with the BC coils I just installed - but I have the rears completely turned down all the way. It's clear that at that height the springs are simply not stiff enough to deal with that ride height as there is maybe only 1.5-2 inches between the frame and the bump stop on the rear control arm at this height. So if you're more reasonable with the drop I don't think it's going to be much of an issue.

I think BC choose spring rates that are simply too soft all around. The truck rides well and is comfortable and I'm happy with the purchase but I will be reaching out to BC to see if they have any suggestions/options on spring rate changes front and back that will help avoid this issue and stiffen it up slightly.

did you ever adjust the spring rates? I think the rear is too soft as well and I also want an extra set of stiffer springs specifically for towing.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2022, 10:12 PM   #152
X5Brian
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X5

I run BC on mine. I have swift springs, 16k front, 20k rear. Have mine stiffer to keep rear from bottoming out. Tried 24k in rear but a little too stiff. Prob gonna order 22k soon now that I have my 22” wheels on… I can’t tuck due to widebody and rears are 13” wide but I need to lower rear about 1/4 to 1/2 inch more to match front with still ha wing a slight rack - and don’t want to bottom out.
I have from adjustable camber arms, rear camber arms, adjustable toe arms … to keep aligned and camber in check.
2023… going to bags on all 4 corners
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2023, 09:06 PM   #153
N1ck
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 3.5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5Brian View Post
I run BC on mine. I have swift springs, 16k front, 20k rear. Have mine stiffer to keep rear from bottoming out. Tried 24k in rear but a little too stiff. Prob gonna order 22k soon now that I have my 22” wheels on… I can’t tuck due to widebody and rears are 13” wide but I need to lower rear about 1/4 to 1/2 inch more to match front with still ha wing a slight rack - and don’t want to bottom out.
I have from adjustable camber arms, rear camber arms, adjustable toe arms … to keep aligned and camber in check.
2023… going to bags on all 4 corners
Did you originally have rear air suspension?
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2023, 11:49 PM   #154
X5Brian
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X5

No, springs all 4 corners
Appreciate 1
N1ck36.00