08-20-2019, 03:50 AM   #331
Kraftwerk AG
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Mein F Fünfundachtzig Einhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoold2003 View Post
Hey DeeO does this sound right? You have the HK stereo right? How's the sound?
I have the B&O system. In regards to the UAD/Joyeauto kit, it's not the highest sound quality, as has been discussed in several threads regarding the various retrofit kits on the market. But you can still listen to your favorite tunes from HD radio, Sirius, MP3, etc. in the background while in CarPlay mode.

I think what drives the audiophiles crazy is when in CarPlay mode, you then select a podcast, iHeart radio, or Spotify, etc. is when the sound quality is most noticeable. However, you can adjust the equalizer settings on the B&O/HK HU and the equalizer settings on the UAD/Joyeauto kit to your liking (I switch between the soft/classical/standard settings).

Maybe in future kits, the manufacturers will finally address this, but in the mean time, I still love the upgrade. It sure is way more economical than spending 1k-2k to upgrade from NBT to EVO, but that's just 1 man's opinion.

Here's a link to adjust the sound: For B&O systems: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...&postcount=203 For HK systems: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...&postcount=211

Last edited by Kraftwerk AG; 08-24-2019 at 07:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 09:45 AM   #332
beholder
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 328, 2015 X5 35i

1. Guntherpdx
2. mrod81
3. eggyacid
4. skoold2003 - IN
5. Amsterdave
6. Kakalika - IN
7. leftbank
8. mrfochon
9. KCTiger
10. Googone20
11. bucawke
12. beholder - IN
14. baxter3221
15. JeanLuis
16. AKitson
17. BimmerTy
18. Kzang
19. nodnarb – IN
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 03:44 PM   #333
nodnarb
United_States
Rep
Drives: F16 50i & i3 -GONE:335iE90&F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeO View Post
I have the B&O system. In regards to the UAD/Joyeauto kit, it's not the highest sound quality, as has been discussed in several threads regarding the various retrofit kits on the market. But you can still listen to your favorite tunes from HD radio, Sirius, MP3, etc. in the background while in CarPlay mode.

I think what drives the audiophiles crazy is when in CarPlay mode, you then select a podcast, iHeart radio, or Spotify, etc. is when the sound quality is most noticeable. However, you can adjust the equalizer settings on the B&O/HK HU and the equalizer settings on the UAD/Joyeauto kit to your liking (I switch between the soft/classical/standard settings).

Maybe in future kits, the manufacturers will finally address this, but in the mean time, I still love the upgrade. It sure is way more economical than spending 1k-2k to upgrade from NBT to EVO, but that's just 1 man's opinion.
I also have B&O and I would definitely expect to use Spotify and Waze from the kit. It seem crazy to me that this doesn't sound fine. I've connected stuff to the AUX in and it sounds just as good as other sources.

BTW, these kits using AUX is really the only practical way to do it. As I understand these systems, the digital option would using the MOST optical connector, which would be a huge cost and specific to BMW and you'd have to intercept another source (and maybe a few others). Not sure how the Snap-In works. Either way, it's either digital or analog, and analog via AUX makes the most sense.

I'm searching around trying to find threads about this, the ones I've tripped over refer to maybe it being due to a bad harness. If you have one handy that is clearly about the kit itself, I'd love to read it.

If the kit isn't going to sound good though, this isn't a good path for me personally.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 03:52 PM   #334
Kraftwerk AG
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodnarb View Post
I also have B&O and I would definitely expect to use Spotify and Waze from the kit. It seem crazy to me that this doesn't sound fine. I've connected stuff to the AUX in and it sounds just as good as other sources.

BTW, these kits using AUX is really the only practical way to do it. As I understand these systems, the digital option would using the MOST optical connector, which would be a huge cost and specific to BMW and you'd have to intercept another source (and maybe a few others). Not sure how the Snap-In works. Either way, it's either digital or analog, and analog via AUX makes the most sense.

I'm searching around trying to find threads about this, the ones I've tripped over refer to maybe it being due to a bad harness. If you have one handy that is clearly about the kit itself, I'd love to read it.

If the kit isn't going to sound good though, this isn't a good path for me personally.
This device fits many different BMW platforms. Try searching the F30 forums for starters.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 03:55 PM   #335
nodnarb
United_States
Rep

To put it another way DeeO, is this about cracking/popping due to too much gain? An easy solution to that is an inline volume resistor thing. If it's hissing or something else, then there's no way to fix. Love to know what you're experiencing.

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 03:55 PM   #336
nodnarb
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This device fits many different BMW platforms. Try searching the F30 forums for starters.
Yeah those are the threads I'm reading. They don't really explain the quality other than to say "not the best".
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 04:01 PM   #337
skoold2003
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 50i M Sport, M3(sold)

Garage List
2014 X5 50i  [7.50]
Quote:
To put it another way DeeO, is this about cracking/popping due to too much gain? An easy solution to that is an inline volume resistor thing. If it's hissing or something else, then there's no way to fix. Love to know what you're experiencing.

Cheers.
I think other units (Avin specifically) it was an impedance mismatch that caused the shitty sound. I'm pretty sure that these don't have as bad of an issue otherwise there would be much more griping about it. As DeeO mentioned before this is a $300 semi gamble that it will be a cheaper solution. If you're not happy with it you can sell and recoup some cost and spring for the ~$2k full EVO retrofit.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 04:06 PM   #338
nodnarb
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I think other units (Avin specifically) it was an impedance mismatch that caused the shitty sound. I'm pretty sure that these don't have as bad of an issue otherwise there would be much more griping about it. As DeeO mentioned before this is a $300 semi gamble that it will be a cheaper solution. If you're not happy with it you can sell and recoup some cost and spring for the ~$2k full EVO retrofit.
Okay thanks. So that would be dynamic range problems, or maybe clipping. There are things out there to address impedance mismatches out there too. Depending on which direction, maybe this https://pro.ultimateears.com/ue-buffer-jack.html.

I appreciate the clarification, was hard to find that specific thing amongst all the threads with nonspecific answers.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 04:15 PM   #339
Amsterdave
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5d-MS & 2018 BMW X3 30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonr View Post
Amsterdave how did your installation go? been refreshing this page every day to know the update.

Also, how is the group buy price down to - since there are about 19 folks in it now? I'm thinking of joining in.
Ok here is a quick update on my Kremersino unit. Sorry for the delay, I also haven't driven my car much since installing (the weather has compelled me to use my other car that has no roof) so I haven't gotten to the bottom of everything yet.

Installation was super easy. Aside from the instructions in the video posted earlier, for those with HK audio, you have to move two pins (MOST) over from the original connector to the new Y-splitter one that goes into the NBT headunit. Super easy to do, unfortunately I forgot at first so I had to open everything up again.

There is lots of room behind/under the NBT headunit for the extra connectors and the actual box is small enough to go there as well. I did not route things to the passenger footwell as this seemed a more difficult fit and unnecessary in the F15. I ran the external microphone to sit behind the nav screen, facing left. Out of sight completely yet close enough to the driver to pick up audio. No issues there.

Once installed and connected, you have to change a couple of settings in the box's menu to make sure the correct camera (backup/360 - orig/aftermarket) is being used and you are good to go.

Rather than deal with AUX audio, I keep my phone connected to the NBT bluetooth so audio quality for calls and Music/Spotify et cetera is excellent, same as before. I did notice some distortion when I tried to use the AUX option for audio. I have contacted the vendor to see if this is normal or can be fixed. I do believe you need to use the AUX option for spoken nav instructions in Carplay, but that is something I never use so haven't experimented much with it. Siri works fine using the NBT Bluetooth connection - I am not sure whether in that scenario it uses the ext mic or BMW mic to hear me, but it has no issue understanding me.

Camera operation is slighly different than before but definitely workable: selecting R gear engages backup cam, moving to D disengages it immediately (rather than with a delay). When in backup cam, can switch back and forth to 360 cam no change from before. Radar-activated (forward driving) PDC due to object proximity still works with audible beeping, but does not bring up the 360 cam when in Carplay mode. (does still when in iDrive mode). A long press of the MENU button toggles between iDrive and Carplay really quickly so this does not bother me much. Once you're manoeuvring in a tight spot, you probably don't need your Carplay up anymore anyway and it's an easy switch back to iDrive.

As far as the group buy goes: I am obviously out now that I have this unit installed, but I do encourage you to look into the Kremersino option. Joyeauto has unilaterally pulled out of the previous group buy at the last minute and left us all hanging dry. I think the boxes are functionally identical and Kremersino will likely beat the price that is being discussed here in the thread. I have their sales guy Michael on Whatsapp and would be happy to make the introduction for the organizer of the group buy. Just PM me and I'll hook you up.

Oh, one more thing: there was a question about duty, brokerage and HST on the shipping to Canada from someone in the thread. I asked Kremersino to ship using ePacket (China Post) for that reason. It was a bit slower (took 10 days) than DHL, but as I expected, there were no charges whatsoever on delivery (YMMV).
Appreciate 1
hlrzr19.50
      08-20-2019, 04:44 PM   #340
skoold2003
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 X5 50i  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsterdave View Post
Ok here is a quick update on my Kremersino unit. Sorry for the delay, I also haven't driven my car much since installing (the weather has compelled me to use my other car that has no roof) so I haven't gotten to the bottom of everything yet.

Installation was super easy. Aside from the instructions in the video posted earlier, for those with HK audio, you have to move two pins (MOST) over from the original connector to the new Y-splitter one that goes into the NBT headunit. Super easy to do, unfortunately I forgot at first so I had to open everything up again.

There is lots of room behind/under the NBT headunit for the extra connectors and the actual box is small enough to go there as well. I did not route things to the passenger footwell as this seemed a more difficult fit and unnecessary in the F15. I ran the external microphone to sit behind the nav screen, facing left. Out of sight completely yet close enough to the driver to pick up audio. No issues there.

Once installed and connected, you have to change a couple of settings in the box's menu to make sure the correct camera (backup/360 - orig/aftermarket) is being used and you are good to go.

Rather than deal with AUX audio, I keep my phone connected to the NBT bluetooth so audio quality for calls and Music/Spotify et cetera is excellent, same as before. I did notice some distortion when I tried to use the AUX option for audio. I have contacted the vendor to see if this is normal or can be fixed. I do believe you need to use the AUX option for spoken nav instructions in Carplay, but that is something I never use so haven't experimented much with it. Siri works fine using the NBT Bluetooth connection - I am not sure whether in that scenario it uses the ext mic or BMW mic to hear me, but it has no issue understanding me.

Camera operation is slighly different than before but definitely workable: selecting R gear engages backup cam, moving to D disengages it immediately (rather than with a delay). When in backup cam, can switch back and forth to 360 cam no change from before. Radar-activated (forward driving) PDC due to object proximity still works with audible beeping, but does not bring up the 360 cam when in Carplay mode. (does still when in iDrive mode). A long press of the MENU button toggles between iDrive and Carplay really quickly so this does not bother me much. Once you're manoeuvring in a tight spot, you probably don't need your Carplay up anymore anyway and it's an easy switch back to iDrive.

As far as the group buy goes: I am obviously out now that I have this unit installed, but I do encourage you to look into the Kremersino option. Joyeauto has unilaterally pulled out of the previous group buy at the last minute and left us all hanging dry. I think the boxes are functionally identical and Kremersino will likely beat the price that is being discussed here in the thread. I have their sales guy Michael on Whatsapp and would be happy to make the introduction for the organizer of the group buy. Just PM me and I'll hook you up.

Oh, one more thing: there was a question about duty, brokerage and HST on the shipping to Canada from someone in the thread. I asked Kremersino to ship using ePacket (China Post) for that reason. It was a bit slower (took 10 days) than DHL, but as I expected, there were no charges whatsoever on delivery (YMMV).
Thanks Amsterdave.. good feedback! DeeO I assume this is pretty comparable to your experience too?

I'm hoping that the IDCORE unit will not require switching out of CarPlay mode to use the front cam but I guess I can deal with it either way. Anyway, if the operation of these two is equal I would still go with the IDCORE just because of a vented box and legit external Wifi antenna.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 04:57 PM   #341
Kraftwerk AG
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Thanks Amsterdave.. good feedback! DeeO I assume this is pretty comparable to your experience too?

I'm hoping that the IDCORE unit will not require switching out of CarPlay mode to use the front cam but I guess I can deal with it either way. Anyway, if the operation of these two is equal I would still go with the IDCORE just because of a vented box and legit external Wifi antenna.
Yep, I do have to agree with Amsterdave on this one. Different manufacturer, same results. As for sound quality or lack thereof, it definitely falls under the category of a '1st world problem'. A perfect example of this would be: Sirius XM sat radio, it's not the best sound quality, but listenable and in no way a deal breaker (at least to me). I do love my Unique AD tho, couldn't be happier. No regrets.
Appreciate 1
endo_r113.50
      08-20-2019, 05:17 PM   #342
skoold2003
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 X5 50i  [7.50]
Quote:
Yep, I do have to agree with Amsterdave on this one. Different manufacturer, same results. As for sound quality or lack thereof, it definitely falls under the category of a '1st world problem'. A perfect example of this would be: Sirius XM sat radio, it's not the best sound quality, but listenable and in no way a deal breaker (at least to me). I do love my Unique AD, couldn't be happier. No regrets.
Haha, well my current first world problem is having to search for my destination on the BMW app then send it to my car then open the message and start guidance. I'd much rather just say "Hey Siri take me to Chick–fil–A.

Come on people!
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 05:32 PM   #343
Kraftwerk AG
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Haha, well my current first world problem is having to search for my destination on the BMW app then send it to my car then open the message and start guidance. I'd much rather just say "Hey Siri take me to Chick–fil–A.

Come on people!
Yep, done & done! For the technology packed into these little boxes, and for $275 all in, it's still a helluva bargain.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 07:15 PM   #344
nodnarb
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Okay thanks. So that would be dynamic range problems, or maybe clipping. There are things out there to address impedance mismatches out there too. Depending on which direction, maybe this https://pro.ultimateears.com/ue-buffer-jack.html.

I appreciate the clarification, was hard to find that specific thing amongst all the threads with nonspecific answers.
Seems like this is because the NBT headunit expects headphone level power/impedance, and these units are outputting line level. Headphone is higher power than line and definitely different impedence. So I had it backwards. This is harder to solve, but with some kind of amplifier you might be able to get there. Something like this perhaps. https://www.thomann.de/gb/behringer_...ol_uca_222.htm

FWIW, for my personal taste I find XM satellite intolerable.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 07:34 PM   #345
skoold2003
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 X5 50i  [7.50]
Quote:
Seems like this is because the NBT headunit expects headphone level power/impedance, and these units are outputting line level. Headphone is higher power than line and definitely different impedence. So I had it backwards. This is harder to solve, but with some kind of amplifier you might be able to get there. Something like this perhaps. https://www.thomann.de/gb/behringer_...ol_uca_222.htm

FWIW, for my personal taste I find XM satellite intolerable.
Yea, there have been people on the Avin forum who have used inline amps with some success. With my M3 I just change the audio source to bluetooth and it sounds fine. I'm still holding out hope that I won't have to do that with this unit but as a worst case it's not that bad.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 08:11 PM   #346
nodnarb
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yea, there have been people on the Avin forum who have used inline amps with some success. With my M3 I just change the audio source to bluetooth and it sounds fine. I'm still holding out hope that I won't have to do that with this unit but as a worst case it's not that bad.
Yeah makes sense, honestly I don’t think Bluetooth sounds as good so I prefer wired, but that could be all in my head.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 09:28 AM   #347
BrandonMc
//M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 i8 & 2011 535i MSport

I'm down to jump in on the group buy if we can get the other manufacturers onboard too. Count me in as the 20th

2011 535i Msport
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 10:53 AM   #348
Kraftwerk AG
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonMc View Post
I'm down to jump in on the group buy if we can get the other manufacturers onboard too. Count me in as the 20th
Wut? Other manufacturers? This is a Joyeauto GB.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 10:56 AM   #349
BrandonMc
//M
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Wut? Other manufacturers? This is a Joyeauto GB.
I thought they dropped out of the GB and there was another that the poster above had contacts with.

2011 535i Msport
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 11:08 AM   #350
Kraftwerk AG
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I thought they dropped out of the GB and there was another that the poster above had contacts with.
Post #329:

Quote:
1. Guntherpdx
2. mrod81
3. eggyacid
4. skoold2003 - IN
5. Amsterdave
6. Kakalika - IN
7. leftbank
8. mrfochon
9. KCTiger
10. Googone20
11. bucawke
12. beholder
14. baxter3221
15. JeanLuis
16. AKitson
17. BimmerTy
18. Kzang
19. nodnarb – IN

The group buy is $285 for 10 people and $270 for 20 people. I'm not sure if we're at 19 because most haven't responded to confirm that they're in. If you want in we'd be at 4 confirmed.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 11:10 AM   #351
BrandonMc
//M
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
-

Quote:
1. Guntherpdx
2. mrod81
3. eggyacid
4. skoold2003 - IN
5. Amsterdave
6. Kakalika - IN
7. leftbank
8. mrfochon
9. KCTiger
10. Googone20
11. bucawke
12. beholder
14. baxter3221
15. JeanLuis
16. AKitson
17. BimmerTy
18. Kzang
19. nodnarb – IN

Post #329:

The group buy is $285 for 10 people and $270 for 20 people. I'm not sure if we're at 19 because most haven't responded to confirm that they're in. If you want in we'd be at 4 confirmed.
If it's still on, I'm good for the group buy.

2011 535i Msport
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 11:15 AM   #352
Kraftwerk AG
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
If it's still on, I'm good for the group buy.
PM skoold2003 if you have any questions.
Appreciate 0