BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-10-2019, 08:48 PM   #1
Ehloo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 15 x5 m

Pirelli Scorpion Winters, need for chains

Live in Northern Ca and completely new to winter weather. Taking a ski trip and being cautious. Would there ever be a need for winter tires and chains? Or would it no safe to drive anyways whether chains or not
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2019, 11:52 PM   #2
baliano
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3, X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehloo View Post
Live in Northern Ca and completely new to winter weather. Taking a ski trip and being cautious. Would there ever be a need for winter tires and chains? Or would it no safe to drive anyways whether chains or not
Winter tires should be more than adequate. If you need chains stay home.
I live in Colorado and I've been through some very bad snow/ice conditions with no issue. It sounds like you have never driven in snow/ice. If that's the case I'd highly recommend some winter driving lessons. That will do you as much good as snow tires.
Best of luck-be safe.
Eisenmann Race Black Series/Dinan/Active Autowerke/ Morr VS52/H&R/Arkym Front lip/Arkym Rear diffuser/Blacked out exterior trim/Custom Mirror's/ Performance CF spoiler/Huper Optik 20%/Lux H8/ DD- F85 Donington/Mugello, FI DP, BootMod, KW V3

Appreciate 1
musa421.50
      02-14-2019, 10:03 AM   #3
tastelid
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

take chains just in case you need extra traction

but i agree, if its that bad, stay home
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 10:40 AM   #4
gqgambler
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast & Furious

If you live in cali get yourself chains as you may be required to carry them based on weather conditions, see below. Stay at home when weather is bad is the safest plan. Winter tires should be good, but state requirements may require chains regardless of tires on the car. I have friends in Cali and have gone on many ski trips with them, they have chains in the trunk but haven't had to use them.

http://www.dot.ca.gov/cttravel/chain-controls.html
During the winter months, motorists may encounter traction chain controls in the mountain areas within California. When chain controls are established, signs will be posted along the road indicating the type of requirement. There are Three Levels of Chain Requirements in California:
Requirement 1 (R-1): Chains are required on all vehicles except passenger vehicles and light-duty trucks under 6,000 pounds gross weight and equipped with snow tires on at least two drive wheels. Chains must be carried by vehicles using snow tires. All vehicles towing trailers must have chains on one drive axle. Trailers with brakes must have chains on at least one axle.
Requirement 2 (R2): Chains or traction devices are required on all vehicles except four wheel/all wheel drive vehicles with snow-tread tires on all four wheels.
NOTE: (Four wheel/all wheel drive vehicles must carry traction devices in chain control areas.)
Requirement 3 (R3): Chains or traction devices are required on all vehicles, no exceptions.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 05:52 PM   #5
Ehloo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 15 x5 m

Thanks for the info. Started looking for chains and getting mixed info. Hearing that X5 require special chains since the hub of the wheel sits too close to the strut and not allowed to have chains that mount anywhere on the inside of the tire.

Well those special chains cost an arm and leg. Around 500 bucks for a pair. They are made by two companies which look the same Konig And Quick Tracks. They mount on the front of the wheel and actual spikes and chains are only located on the middle of the tire

Is there any truth behind this?

Also my car is slammed on KW, does the ride height have any affect on the ability for chains

Quote:
Originally Posted by gqgambler View Post
If you live in cali get yourself chains as you may be required to carry them based on weather conditions, see below. Stay at home when weather is bad is the safest plan. Winter tires should be good, but state requirements may require chains regardless of tires on the car. I have friends in Cali and have gone on many ski trips with them, they have chains in the trunk but haven't had to use them.

http://www.dot.ca.gov/cttravel/chain-controls.html
During the winter months, motorists may encounter traction chain controls in the mountain areas within California. When chain controls are established, signs will be posted along the road indicating the type of requirement. There are Three Levels of Chain Requirements in California:
Requirement 1 (R-1): Chains are required on all vehicles except passenger vehicles and light-duty trucks under 6,000 pounds gross weight and equipped with snow tires on at least two drive wheels. Chains must be carried by vehicles using snow tires. All vehicles towing trailers must have chains on one drive axle. Trailers with brakes must have chains on at least one axle.
Requirement 2 (R2): Chains or traction devices are required on all vehicles except four wheel/all wheel drive vehicles with snow-tread tires on all four wheels.
NOTE: (Four wheel/all wheel drive vehicles must carry traction devices in chain control areas.)
Requirement 3 (R3): Chains or traction devices are required on all vehicles, no exceptions.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 07:10 AM   #6
ChiTownM
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M and i BMWs

Winter tires without a doubt, they are made for cold weather as well as snow and ice. I put them on every winter, regardless where I go in colder climates
Appreciate 0