BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-30-2024, 06:30 PM   #1
jthorn75
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M

2016 X5M vs 2014 porsche cayenne turbo

So I have noticed many have said the porsche is too expensive compared to the x5m, but is the best choice if you have the money to spend. My questions is this... would you rather have a 2014 porsche cayenne turbo or a 2016 x5m... both have similiar miles and same price. What do you think is the better buy and which do you think would age better?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2024, 06:52 PM   #2
shimmy23
F15 daddymobile
Rep
Drives: GS X5

aesthetics alone, x5m hands down.
      01-30-2024, 07:04 PM   #3
jthorn75
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimmy23 View Post
aesthetics alone, x5m hands down.
well you do have to drive it and maintain it... this would be something else to consider when looking at a car to keep for the long haul
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2024, 07:06 AM   #4
jab23
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5M

I had a 2014 Cayenne GTS for 5 years before I got my 2017 X5M (with an RS5 Sportback for a year in between). Obviously, the Cayenne Turbo is the more powerful of the Porsches, but I loved my GTS. It's one of the few cars I regret selling. Last NA V8. I had zero issues with it for 50k(ish) miles. I think the GTS was also the best looking Cayenne. Most of the turbos look like every other cayenne without the painted lowers and boring frontand rear bumpers. Some do have the GTS body kit though and look exactly like the GTS. If I had to choose between a 2014 CT with the average looking body and a 2016 X5M it would be an easy choice for the BMW.

It also depends on the 2 cars you may be comparing. Mileage, maintenance history, options etc.. I think if all of those are equal, but the price of the CT is significantly more, I'd go for the BMW yet again.

Anyway, not sure that helps, but had some experience here so thought I'd babble about it.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2024, 08:49 AM   #5
jthorn75
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jab23 View Post
I had a 2014 Cayenne GTS for 5 years before I got my 2017 X5M (with an RS5 Sportback for a year in between). Obviously, the Cayenne Turbo is the more powerful of the Porsches, but I loved my GTS. It's one of the few cars I regret selling. Last NA V8. I had zero issues with it for 50k(ish) miles. I think the GTS was also the best looking Cayenne. Most of the turbos look like every other cayenne without the painted lowers and boring frontand rear bumpers. Some do have the GTS body kit though and look exactly like the GTS. If I had to choose between a 2014 CT with the average looking body and a 2016 X5M it would be an easy choice for the BMW.

It also depends on the 2 cars you may be comparing. Mileage, maintenance history, options etc.. I think if all of those are equal, but the price of the CT is significantly more, I'd go for the BMW yet again.

Anyway, not sure that helps, but had some experience here so thought I'd babble about it.
thats very helpful, the scenerio would be if all thing being equal and the same price... only way to have the same price is a porsche thats 2 years older then the BMW. also would you rather have your x5m or your GTS?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2024, 06:52 AM   #6
jab23
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthorn75 View Post
thats very helpful, the scenerio would be if all thing being equal and the same price... only way to have the same price is a porsche thats 2 years older then the BMW. also would you rather have your x5m or your GTS?
Boy is that a hard question. I've really enjoyed my X5 for the last few years. My gut says I'd take the Porsche overall as it just seemed like a better all around driver's car. They are both heavy, but the GTS just felt more nimble, wasn't quite as firm when in tame mode, and the seats were perfect for me. It also sounded great.

With that said, I like the interior and tech much better in the BMW. Materials are top notch, steering wheel is thicker and the multimedia interface is so much better. Mine has Car Play which a 2016 won't. Love the heads up display. That gen Cayenne interior is starting to look a bit dated to me.

The BMW is an absolute beast power wise, but I just don't need it (I'm getting older). I also always feel like I'm a little on edge that something might break. It's been good to me aside from tie rods, but I think I've read too many horror stories here to feel completely comfortable. It's also the first used car I've had in may years, so not knowing I took care of it from day one may contribute to that.

Despite my glowing comments on the Cayenne, I think all things being equal in your case, I'd go for the 2 year newer BMW.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2024, 12:02 PM   #7
jthorn75
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jab23 View Post
Boy is that a hard question. I've really enjoyed my X5 for the last few years. My gut says I'd take the Porsche overall as it just seemed like a better all around driver's car. They are both heavy, but the GTS just felt more nimble, wasn't quite as firm when in tame mode, and the seats were perfect for me. It also sounded great.

With that said, I like the interior and tech much better in the BMW. Materials are top notch, steering wheel is thicker and the multimedia interface is so much better. Mine has Car Play which a 2016 won't. Love the heads up display. That gen Cayenne interior is starting to look a bit dated to me.

The BMW is an absolute beast power wise, but I just don't need it (I'm getting older). I also always feel like I'm a little on edge that something might break. It's been good to me aside from tie rods, but I think I've read too many horror stories here to feel completely comfortable. It's also the first used car I've had in may years, so not knowing I took care of it from day one may contribute to that.

Despite my glowing comments on the Cayenne, I think all things being equal in your case, I'd go for the 2 year newer BMW.
I appreciate your comment, In the same sense if you had to keep each car for 5-10 years would you keep the same choice of the BMW?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2024, 10:42 AM   #8
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Several

Garage List
I’ve had both. Hands down the X5M. The transmission in the Cayenne sucked. Drive both back to back. Put that ZF in the Cayenne and it’s a different story. I know after 2018 or 2019 the cayennes switched transmissions, but became way too expensive.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2024, 05:00 PM   #9
cqhall
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 M

I submitted an offer on a 2016 Cayenne GTS before buying my 2016 X5M. They were (obviously) similar but significantly different. The X5M obviously has more power, but the GTS has better build quality and would probably prove to be cheaper to maintain. I've always felt that the F generation of BMWs had a "plastic-y" feel to them. I have a rattle in the headliner of my X5M that's driving me nuts. Then there's the boot lid squeaking that randomly occurs.

I agree with jab23 that the Porsche interior feels dated compared to the BMW. It is.

The styling of the two vehicles are so different that it simply comes down to personal tastes. I really like the X5M's stying over the almond shape of the Cayennes of that generation.

If I could get the Cayenne Turbo for the same price as an X5M, assuming mileage and condition are also similar, I'd go for the Cayenne Turbo. For my situation, I was considering the GTS vs X5M, so it was more of a tossup and when the the dealership wouldn't accept my offer on the GTS and the other dealer did accept my offer on the X5M, I went with that.

I don't keep vehicles very long, anyway. So, there's that. I have jeans that have sat in 10 of my cars/trucks over the past few years

Last edited by cqhall; 02-24-2024 at 05:06 PM..
Appreciate 0