BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-06-2014, 08:42 AM   #1
x5pilot
Fragile Explosion
Rep
Drives: X5 40d Msport

Delivered! - X5 40dM Ivory/Black

2 months and 18 days later my new car arrived!
As is tradition, a few pics of the new baby plus some thoughts on initial drive and experiences.

Specification:
X5 40dM Space Grey with Ivory/Black interior (RH drive)
Adaptive M suspension
Connected Drive
Third Row Seating
Remote Auxiliary Heating
Adaptive LED Headlights
High Beam Assist
Soft close doors
Sun Protection Glass
Comfort access
Brushed Aluminium
High-gloss shadow line
Reversing Assist
Top Down
Surround view
Driving Assistant Plus
Panoramic sunroof
Active Cruise Control
Traffic Assist
Heated Seats
Extended Storage
19" M Double Spoke 467M AS wheels

Dealer Added Options
"Protect Pack" - Paintwork/interior protection, 3 year warranty
BMW Care pack - cleaning products etc
5 year/50k Service contract

My dealer was only 8 miles away so unlike a lot of guys here I didnt have a nice long drive home to take in the that first drive experience, however I have put nearly 300 miles on it since Saturday, so please forgive the slightly "dirty" exterior photos!

First impressions... this car doesn't drive, it glides!!
I know its been said many times here, from existing owners and test drive experiences but its not until you own your first F15 do you really appreciate how unbelievably smooth this car is!
With the 8 speed engine and twin turbo 3 litre this car effortlessly goes from a standstill to motorway/freeway speeds in less than 6 seconds - although I'm trying to ease her in for now!
There is a mountain of difference between the new engine and the old E70... Im so glad I went with the 40d this time around.
I love the Comfort/Sport suspension options and although I'm no tree hugger I think the Eco-Pro mode is very clever especially with its active route feedback.
Sport Mode is tight and very stiff in the corners, again only played with this a little for now.
I got the comfort seats this time around and although they are really comfortable, gorgeous and have tons of settings, I'm still trying to find that sweet spot as keep getting an ache across my back!
I deliberated for hours over the color, going back and fourth, I have to say I couldn't be happier with the Ivory leather and space grey! The car is bright and looks much bigger than my old E70 carbon black/black interior. Also with
the pano roof blind open it lets in the light creating a cavernous driving environment.
My 5 year old daughter loves the 3rd row seats... for now her 8 month old brother sits behind me, but in my opinion if you've got kids I wouldn't hesitate over the 3rd row. They are so cleverly designed plus there is a reasonable loadspace behind the 3rd row once setup. Certainly enough for a stroller, coats, few bags. Plus there is also some loadspace in what would have been the wheel well (see pics)
Auto tailgate is another great addition in the new X5... I know its been asked here before and I just want to clarify (for my car anyway) you CAN close the tailgate using the keyfob by pressing and holding the key option. I appreciate
this may be regional specific.
I stayed with the standard hifi system. Defiantly no complaints and the whole multimedia package is very impressive (ie play DVDs on the center console, rip CDs/USBs to on board music library)
Although its not been cold here this year (yet!) the Auxiliary remote heating option is very impressive. Using a remote key (see pics) and/or smartphone app you can activate the heat/ventilation system prior to stepping in the car.
For example you take off a 7.30am, you can either set to activate or manually activate the heat system - the engine is not started. Only downside I've found is you cant set multiple on/off options or set for weekdays only.

Regrets/Disappointments
Door seal issue is still prevalent - have already raised it with my dealer.
My car, as expected came with black grills. Titanium grills (as per 40d spec) are being fitted next week (at BMWs expense)
I was concerned about the ride quality especially where I drive and cost of replacement tires so I stuck with the 19" wheels - Given what I seen and read on here Im kicking myself I didnt go for the 20"
The HUD is an option I also wished I'd added - using the sat nav the directional graphics are now displayed in the bottom center of the instrument cluster and are not the easiest to follow (although you can use split screen with 3D arrow view on the 10.1 center console)
I paid for the extended storage option, which included some net holders, some lashing rails in the back (without lashing belts) while all I really wanted was a place to put glasses -surely this should be standard?!
Its been said already on here, but the soft close doors aren't really necessary only useful for a small child closing a door . Money would be better spent going for the Comfort access option.
Auto Stop/Start is something I could have done without however I've noticed a major flaw with it... You arrive home, pull up to your drive, generally in front of your garage door/wall and press the brake to stop. The Auto Stop kicks in, foot off the brake to step out, oh wait car starts again and moves forward! Happened once, fortunately I was quick to hit the brake again.

Anyway, hope the pics look ok, happy to take more if it helps anyone...
Thanks again to everyone here that helped my decision process!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 09:01 AM   #2
bim_power
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Enjoy... beautiful combo...You took some awesome pics.

I too have kids so did not have the courage to go with white seats. The 3rd row seating looks tight, but guess it's okay with kids or occasional guests. I did not check that option, but am thinking that I should've.

Great note about the stop/go..
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 09:16 AM   #3
AEC
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive 40i M Sport

Very handsome combination. Enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 09:23 AM   #4
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Congrats!!! Love the combo! Ivory/black looks awesome with space gray. I had an FX45 back in '04 with infiniti's version of that combo..

From the pics, looks like your 467's are staggered, correct?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 09:25 AM   #5
Baunton
Major
England
Rep
Drives: X5 45e 2021

James!

Many congratulations!

Exterior/interior combo looks good, really good..much better than it sounds.

WRT Remote Auxiliary Heating - did you just have to down-load the app? Anything else required?

All the best.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 09:30 AM   #6
w4termelon
Private First Class
France
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 M sport 40d

Looks awesome with the ivory seats, that's also the color I selected (but mine will be Carbonblack outside) !
I also see you have black kidney grille on your 40d, there were a discussion about the fact on 40d it could be titanium, but it definitely seems to be black. I'm thinking now to replace mine with titanium from m50d..
Question : you said 2 month and 18 days, but what was your production date (i.e.: how long was it between production date and delivery) ?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 09:52 AM   #7
CatFlap
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: ...

Instrument Cluster

Looks fabulous!

I notice that you have the full width TFT display on the lower half of your instrument cluster (as opposed to the right hand side - half width - version that I've seen in the demo car I tried recently)
Do you know what option you chose which might have resulted in this being fitted (I was told it came with the HUD option) or is it now fitted as standard on M Sports? I've asked my dealer this very question though don't seem to get a straight answer.
My X5 is not built yet so I have time to add further options - I'd really like the same dash as fitted to your car!

I'd love to know what you think to the active LED headlamps - I've ordered them though never seen them in action - the YouTube video's don't do them justice I'm sure!
      03-06-2014, 09:53 AM   #8
x5pilot
Fragile Explosion
Rep

Thanks guys for the comments!

bim_power - I suspect its too late for you re the 3rd row but I really think they're worth the extra and we will defiantly get use out of them especially when grand parents come to visit or school friends need a lift etc etc...
Re the color... I've always wanted a lighter cabin interior and this was my chance! I guess time will tell how they weather regarding dirt/marks but I tend to keep on top of things like this.

Baunton, you can activate the Aux heating/ventilation using the supplied remote (pictured) and/or an app (MyBMW Remote) downloaded for Android/Apple.
Yes, I wasn't 100% on the color options till I saw it... but am really happy with it.

W4termelon, I've been kicking stick up about the grills (see other threads) The 40dM should be titanium and mine are being replaced next week.
I believe it was a screw up at production (but cant say for sure)

My actual order date was 13 Dec, production date was 24/1 and arrived at dealer 1st March. (according to bmwarchive)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 09:58 AM   #9
CatFlap
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Instrument Cluster

Looks fabulous!

I notice that you have the full width TFT display on the lower half of your instrument cluster (as opposed to the right hand side - half width - version that I've seen in the demo car I tried recently)
Do you know what option you chose which might have resulted in this being fitted (I was told it came with the HUD option) or is it now fitted as standard on M Sports? I've asked my dealer this very question though don't seem to get a straight answer.
My X5 is not built yet so I have time to add further options - I'd really like the same dash as fitted to your car!

I'd love to know what you think to the active LED headlamps - I've ordered them though never seen them in action - the YouTube video's don't do them justice I'm sure!
      03-06-2014, 10:40 AM   #10
sirajkas
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2014

Looks great.. Congrats !
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 11:13 AM   #11
Sean_250
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: X5 30D SE

Congratulations James the car looks fantastic. And you got that March 1 delivery too!
Enjoy it!
(I pick mine up on the 21st. Works does get in the way of fun sometimes!)
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 11:37 AM   #12
x5x2
Private
England
Rep
Drives: BMW G05

Garage List
congratulations, you have a fantastic car, and thanks for a super write up.

I have 20 hours to go !!
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 11:41 AM   #13
jlstyle
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Porsche Panamera

Garage List
2014 Audi S7  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
I never liked Aluminum trims before but this one really changed my mind!
Beautiful car!
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 11:44 AM   #14
daeONE
Private
Rep
Drives: F15 35d Msport

Happy motoring! Spectacular! Enjoy your new ride. Wish we could get the factory tuned diesels in the states.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 12:28 PM   #15
x5pilot
Fragile Explosion
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by saggo View Post
Looks fabulous!

Saggo,
I wasn't sure which instrument cluster I was going to receive until I actually turned on the car!
Obviously I'm glad it was this one as I also read the various reports on which option might influence the display.
I believe its because I ordered the Driver Assist Plus package as I regrettably didn't order the HUD which was the other option that may have been the reason for the full cluster.
On the other hand, maybe BMW are standardising on the full instrument cluster now? I guess we'll find out as other cars are released.
Regarding the LED headlights, I've not done a huge amount of night driving yet however when I did try them, I can only describe them as some kind of black art! Very impressive, never got flashed once from opposite side of road and even with them on full beam behind traffic they lit up all around except car in front - worked exactly as advertised and that Youtube video, if its the one I saw.

Sean... Yes car actually arrived for the 1st after all!
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 01:21 PM   #16
acey81
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 40d M-sport; F80 M3

Congratulations! Not seen many F15s on the road, and definitely not a 40d. Mine is arriving to the dealers next week, and is the first 40d delivered by that dealership. The shipping times are a bit longer up here in the north...

Looks like you are enjoying the car, I can't wait to get mine! I bet it comes with black kidneys...

Last edited by acey81; 03-06-2014 at 01:23 PM.. Reason: Kidneys
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 01:50 PM   #17
CatFlap
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by x5pilot View Post
Saggo,
I wasn't sure which instrument cluster I was going to receive until I actually turned on the car!
Obviously I'm glad it was this one as I also read the various reports on which option might influence the display.
I believe its because I ordered the Driver Assist Plus package as I regrettably didn't order the HUD which was the other option that may have been the reason for the full cluster.
On the other hand, maybe BMW are standardising on the full instrument cluster now? I guess we'll find out as other cars are released.
Regarding the LED headlights, I've not done a huge amount of night driving yet however when I did try them, I can only describe them as some kind of black art! Very impressive, never got flashed once from opposite side of road and even with them on full beam behind traffic they lit up all around except car in front - worked exactly as advertised and that Youtube video, if its the one I saw.

Sean... Yes car actually arrived for the 1st after all!
Thanks for the update, I've not ordered the HUD either though my build, being April onwards, will (I'm told) include the now free driver assist package so I guess I still don't know which dash version I'll actually get. My dealer seems to think that the full instrument cluster fitted to your car will be standard on my build - I'll wait and see!

Can't wait to see the LED's in action!

Mine is a company car and I set a £60k limit, unfortunately the HUD and AUX heating didn't make the extras list - I've blown the budget by a couple of grand even so! I did get a good deal nonetheless, i negotiated a £6k discount so have got most of my extras for 'free'
      03-06-2014, 04:09 PM   #18
brissim
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 30d (2011 F25) - now sold

Thanks for the report and the pictures. Except for the exterior colour and a couple of your options this is pretty much the spec we'll hopefully will be going for when the 40d arrives downunder in the next month or two.

One comment on your problems with the auto stop/start. I'm assuming the setup is much the same as with our F25 X3 where we always use the auto-hold function in conjunction with the auto S/S and we haven't had any problems. The auto-hold has got to be the best invention since they started to use a wheel on each corner of the car.

Tony
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 04:21 PM   #19
w4termelon
Private First Class
France
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 M sport 40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by x5pilot View Post
Thanks guys for the comments!

bim_power - I suspect its too late for you re the 3rd row but I really think they're worth the extra and we will defiantly get use out of them especially when grand parents come to visit or school friends need a lift etc etc...
Re the color... I've always wanted a lighter cabin interior and this was my chance! I guess time will tell how they weather regarding dirt/marks but I tend to keep on top of things like this.

Baunton, you can activate the Aux heating/ventilation using the supplied remote (pictured) and/or an app (MyBMW Remote) downloaded for Android/Apple.
Yes, I wasn't 100% on the color options till I saw it... but am really happy with it.

W4termelon, I've been kicking stick up about the grills (see other threads) The 40dM should be titanium and mine are being replaced next week.
I believe it was a screw up at production (but cant say for sure)

My actual order date was 13 Dec, production date was 24/1 and arrived at dealer 1st March. (according to bmwarchive)
Ok, thats right we already discussed about that kidneys, I might ask you to post photos of your titanium ones with the "xdrive 40d" next to it if I don't get it in titanium then !

Concerning delivery date, mine was produced on 17/02 (bmwarchive) so I could expect it before end of month maybe ? It was first estiamted by my CA around mid/end april.. Would be nice to get it before !
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 04:37 PM   #20
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X

Very nice, I am jealous you got sunglass holder!
Enjoy every ride
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 04:44 PM   #21
xDrive30dGeorge
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 330d SE 2007

Congrats. Looks beautiful.

By the way, is the sunglasses storage part of the extended storage pack?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 06:05 PM   #22
Flatironcopse
Private
Wales
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 3.0D M Sport

Garage List
Looks so good.

2months and 18days? Wow. Been told end of May in the dealer after mid Jan order.

Thanks the pics and detailed review.
Appreciate 0