BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-16-2023, 01:03 PM   #67
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

We just did this job on our 2015 X5M. We bought it with aftermarket HJS high flow cat downpipes and are installing the OEM dps.

Short DIY with no pics:
Up top
Remove the bridge that holds a bunch of cables, then the heatshield that covers the dps
Remove primary and secondary O2 sensors
Remove the bolts holding the v-clamps so the top of the dps are loose
On each dp there is a small bracket that goes from the block to the dp. Remove it on both ends
In the bottom
Remove or loosen the exhaust so you have some wiggle room, then disconnect the exhaust from the dps
Remove two nuts from each dp in the bottom section, they hold the dp in place
The passenger one can now be removed. It is removed from the top of the car. You will have to wiggle it to get it out, but it eventually comes out
The driver's side is much harder. You have two aluminum pipes carrying transmission fluid to the transmission and also the front transmission driveshaft. All of this is pretty much in the way
Wiggling the dp, you can get it to almost clear both of the studs that remain after you removed the nuts earlier. You can get it past the first one, but not the second one
Loosen the bracket that goes into the transmission, it's a single 11mm bolt IIRC. Some fluid will leak out, but it'll stop before long and you can inspect the fluid to decide whether to do a fluid flush later on
With that bracket loose, the two aluminum pipes can bend a tiny bit. Just that little bit is enough to wiggle the dp past the second stud that's in the way!

Note this completely avoids loosening the other brace everyone is talking about. The 'other brace' is the other side of the bracket that has two nuts you removed earlier. That is a much harder option
Appreciate 1
SaNGRia984.50
      10-22-2023, 09:04 PM   #68
Cbozz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaNGRia View Post
After trying to remove the transmission line bracket for about 2h (T30), bolt came out half the way and gave flexibility to aluminum pipes and did the trick. I have never struggled that much in my entire life.

Attachment 2985385
I remember how frustrated you were... I'm glad I didn't have that many issues changing mine..
      10-27-2023, 10:03 AM   #69
SaNGRia
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI E93 M3 + F85 X5M

Yeah i struggled : )
, F85 ACC Retrofit
Appreciate 0