BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-07-2021, 12:17 PM   #1
VETTEPRO
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M Comp, Grigio Telesto

Cold Air Intake question

I'm running Dinan filters but want a full cold air system, if for nothing but the looks.
I know some guys get a CEL from the AFE. It's probably due to a difference in the diameter of the MAF tube. Is this an ongoing problem?
What codes are you getting from the AFE? I would guess it's a lean code because the tube is larger and passes more air than the MAF sensor is aware of. Anyone with a definitive answer?
Has anyone dyno tested a Dinan vs. AFE? I'm thinking that on a fully tuned engine, the AFE might be better.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2021, 12:28 PM   #2
KLR X5M
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by VETTEPRO View Post
I'm running Dinan filters but want a full cold air system, if for nothing but the looks.
I know some guys get a CEL from the AFE. It's probably due to a difference in the diameter of the MAF tube. Is this an ongoing problem?
What codes are you getting from the AFE? I would guess it's a lean code because the tube is larger and passes more air than the MAF sensor is aware of. Anyone with a definitive answer?
Has anyone dyno tested a Dinan vs. AFE? I'm thinking that on a fully tuned engine, the AFE might be better.
Code is an 20e120 which is actually a PCV code. Happens randomly ie won't get it for months, then a few time in a week. It's actually the most common code for aftermarket intakes across all bmw platforms. I would suspect your logic is right, that more air than expected, so assumes its a PCV leak. Afr is still bang on in logs so closed loop is doing its thing to keep it from leaning. I would think if you could calibrate the MAF frequency vs actual airflow like on gm Ls maf cars would not be a problem. I've just kept my bm3 cable in the car an clear it when it comes up. Sound and performance from AFE is great, as is the OTR style feed. Truthfully, I doubt there is a major difference I performance vs dinan filters with no top lid in stock airbox. Rk is another option that allegedly does not through codes and is OTR style with filters behind the grill.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2021, 01:00 PM   #3
Klienfeld303
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 x5 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLR X5M View Post
Quote:
Code is an 20e120 which is actually a PCV code. Happens randomly ie won't get it for months, then a few time in a week. It's actually the most common code for aftermarket intakes across all bmw platforms. I would suspect your logic is right, that more air than expected, so assumes its a PCV leak. Afr is still bang on in logs so closed loop is doing its thing to keep it from leaning. I would think if you could calibrate the MAF frequency vs actual airflow like on gm Ls maf cars would not be a problem. I've just kept my bm3 cable in the car an clear it when it comes up. Sound and performance from AFE is great, as is the OTR style feed. Truthfully, I doubt there is a major difference I performance vs dinan filters with no top lid in stock airbox. Rk is another option that allegedly does not through codes and is OTR style with filters behind the grill.
Dinan carbon intake throws codes? I'm about to pull the trigger on one. 🧐🧐🧐 Thanks for this post. All that info helps tremendously.
      04-07-2021, 01:41 PM   #4
VETTEPRO
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M Comp, Grigio Telesto

No. It's the AFE that does.
I will say that the stock lid really squeezes down on the top of the Dinan Filters. It looks like it would be hard to get air through the top of the filter.
I would think the lid, because it has more clearance in that area, would help at higher airflows. On a car (truck, whatever) that is running much higher boost than stock, it should make a difference.
$1200 for just a lid and filters is a bit steep though.
The AFE is much cheaper and you get the whole thing.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2021, 01:52 PM   #5
KLR X5M
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
No. It's the AFE that does.
I will say that the stock lid really squeezes down on the top of the Dinan Filters. It looks like it would be hard to get air through the top of the filter.
I would think the lid, because it has more clearance in that area, would help at higher airflows. On a car (truck, whatever) that is running much higher boost than stock, it should make a difference.
$1200 for just a lid and filters is a bit steep though.
The AFE is much cheaper and you get the whole thing.
Some folks have already used dinan filters in the OEM box without the lid, than made a small raised section at the back with weather stripping to seal against the hood to effectively make that the upper box. If that could be coupled with a behind the grill ram scoops I think you would end up with the best overall solution.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2021, 11:37 PM   #6
X5M_RoOkIE
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5M

I had the afe and now i have the rk intake. People say afe intake had more power compare to the two intakes. I feel the Rk has more power, sound better and def looks cooler! The feels much smoother on throttle. KLR X5M is right the error on the afe would come back every few weeks. I returned the afe intake and they will be refunded all my money back!
Appreciate 1
iconoclast7262.50
      04-08-2021, 01:09 PM   #7
KLR X5M
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5M_RoOkIE View Post
I had the afe and now i have the rk intake. People say afe intake had more power compare to the two intakes. I feel the Rk has more power, sound better and def looks cooler! The feels much smoother on throttle. KLR X5M is right the error on the afe would come back every few weeks. I returned the afe intake and they will be refunded all my money back!
What did you have to do to get the refund? Did you buy direct from afe or reseller. I think I may go that route if possible.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2021, 03:16 AM   #8
X5M_RoOkIE
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
What did you have to do to get the refund? Did you buy direct from afe or reseller. I think I may go that route if possible.
well reading all the info about the afe intake on this forum. I inform them that i knew of the problem with the afe. They told me it was fixed so i asked them if I have a problem can I get my money back an he said yes within 1 year. The Cel came on twice on me so I went ahead and called them. They sent me a return label.
Appreciate 1
      04-10-2021, 08:18 AM   #9
KLR X5M
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks. I am also considering returning it to try the Rk intake. I'll see what they say
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2021, 08:28 AM   #10
castlesteve
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Coupe, 2017 X5M

Crankcase ventilation faults

I have both R and L side crankcase ventilation hose disconnected/failed CELs constantly now weeks after an ECU stage1 tune.

Have the colder plugs, gapped to 0.022-0.024. Factory intake with new OEM filters. 36k miles.

A little lumpy on the idle now, but otherwise pulls well.

I've checked all the hoses, tightened down clamps. cleaned the MAFs.

So I think i'll go bite the bullet and replace the vent lines. They are definitely different than my M6. The X5M motor goes direct line from intake to head with no crossover tubes. So maybe! Seems like this system is pretty fragile to lots of non-factory changes.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2021, 08:28 PM   #11
KLR X5M
First Lieutenant
Rep

I replaced both and continued to get intermittent 20E120 Cel. Bm3 recently allows you to suppress specific codes in the config, so I've added that code to it. Only been running it thus way for a few days, but Beleive it should work to keep it from annoying me further.... Hopefully
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2021, 10:07 PM   #12
castlesteve
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I replaced both and continued to get intermittent 20E120 Cel. Bm3 recently allows you to suppress specific codes in the config, so I've added that code to it. Only been running it thus way for a few days, but Beleive it should work to keep it from annoying me further.... Hopefully
thanks. Yea, I'll prob get an update from Mission to hopefully code those errors out as well
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2021, 11:45 PM   #13
StatenEye
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M F85

Garage List
2016 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW X5M  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klienfeld303 View Post
Dinan carbon intake throws codes? I'm about to pull the trigger on one. 🧐🧐🧐 Thanks for this post. All that info helps tremendously.
Nah
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2021, 05:51 AM   #14
X5M_RoOkIE
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Thanks. I am also considering returning it to try the Rk intake. I'll see what they say
Rk sounds awesome! lol i also feel it has more power.
Appreciate 1
      05-04-2021, 09:38 AM   #15
castlesteve
Private
United_States
Rep

To follow up on my own issues. I ordered both side crankcase hoses. When installing the passenger side hose, the L adapter which is mounted to the turbo intake hose - snapped off. So these appear to be vibration welded on during assembly and very fragile. I used epoxy to remount both sides and re-cleaned the MAFs. the CE light went out on it's own shortly after. So, I dont think it was the crank case lines at all.

Also, I'm still a little lumpy on the idle occasionally. Apparently the new M5 is similar, so I'm going to let that slide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by castlesteve View Post
I have both R and L side crankcase ventilation hose disconnected/failed CELs constantly now weeks after an ECU stage1 tune.

Have the colder plugs, gapped to 0.022-0.024. Factory intake with new OEM filters. 36k miles.

A little lumpy on the idle now, but otherwise pulls well.

I've checked all the hoses, tightened down clamps. cleaned the MAFs.

So I think i'll go bite the bullet and replace the vent lines. They are definitely different than my M6. The X5M motor goes direct line from intake to head with no crossover tubes. So maybe! Seems like this system is pretty fragile to lots of non-factory changes.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 11:39 AM   #16
KLR X5M
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
To follow up on my own issues. I ordered both side crankcase hoses. When installing the passenger side hose, the L adapter which is mounted to the turbo intake hose - snapped off. So these appear to be vibration welded on during assembly and very fragile. I used epoxy to remount both sides and re-cleaned the MAFs. the CE light went out on it's own shortly after. So, I dont think it was the crank case lines at all.

Also, I'm still a little lumpy on the idle occasionally. Apparently the new M5 is similar, so I'm going to let that slide.

Good update. I had previously replace both PCV hoses, but didn't have issue breaking the hose off the turbo inlet. However It could conceivably be leaking. I'll try some epoxy on those and see if it helps. Idle quality is not great on these motors, especially cold and if you have cold start turned off in tune.
Appreciate 1
      05-05-2021, 08:36 AM   #17
theinfamousdrew
I'm The Captain Now
Rep
Drives: X5M/X7

Garage List
Do the Dinan filters fit in the OEM box?

Typically, I just swap out OEM filters for a high quality drop in.
Looking for something similar for this.

Turn on. Tune in. Drop out.
IG: @InfamousCarGuy

Appreciate 0
      06-28-2021, 11:00 AM   #18
castlesteve
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Good update. I had previously replace both PCV hoses, but didn't have issue breaking the hose off the turbo inlet. However It could conceivably be leaking. I'll try some epoxy on those and see if it helps. Idle quality is not great on these motors, especially cold and if you have cold start turned off in tune.
I know this thread has a couple issues that have diverted, but since it's all related, i'll continue to provide updates.

I've replaced both PCV valve/lines... still get error codes every few days (they also self clear). Idle was very lumpy

Replaced both MAFs with new. Idle much improved and much smoother power delivery. STILL getting PCV valve disconnected errors on both sides.

Now thinking I have turbo inlet hose minor leaks. Hate to continue to throw parts at this, but cannot think that another sensor is indicating leaks other than MAFs? which would suggest intake leaks at this time and not boost leaks
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2021, 12:36 PM   #19
HDriver74
Rep
Drives: F85 X5 M E46 M3

Any info on the BMC drop in high flow filters. Price is right on ECS.
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-bmc-part...-slash-04~bmc/
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2021, 03:33 PM   #20
FirstBMWLA
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Quote:
Quote:
I know this thread has a couple issues that have diverted, but since it's all related, i'll continue to provide updates.

I've replaced both PCV valve/lines... still get error codes every few days (they also self clear). Idle was very lumpy

Replaced both MAFs with new. Idle much improved and much smoother power delivery. STILL getting PCV valve disconnected errors on both sides.

Now thinking I have turbo inlet hose minor leaks. Hate to continue to throw parts at this, but cannot think that another sensor is indicating leaks other than MAFs? which would suggest intake leaks at this time and not boost leaks
I had same issue with a snapped L elbow on turbo inlet pipe connecting to PCV vent hose.
replaced inlet other day. no more pcv codes since.
Fixed my terrible cold start idle and hesitation too.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2024, 01:38 AM   #21
ToadStool
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X6 M

Quote:
I've had my afe CAI for about 5 months now. No CEI for a few days then it illuminated. Went off after 3 or 4 days and has reared its ugly head I think 3 more times but only for about 2 days then, it's off again. It's now been about about 10 weeks since the CEI light came on. Not bad. I'm guessing the afe's air flow takes it to the line but doesn't seem to cross over the MAF's outer limits.

It's a bit louder and I'd venture a little better performing but since it didn't do a thing for the mpg, which is why I bought it, I suppose it's still worth the gamble as the aesthetics in the engine compartment improve a tad as well.

In more pedestrian vehicles I could expect at least 3mpg more on the hwy. But alas, I've not noticed any mpg gains this time around.
Appreciate 0