BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-23-2021, 08:32 AM   #1
VETTEPRO
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M Comp, Grigio Telesto

Who's running Methanol injection? Thoughts?

I recently sold my '16 F85 and bought a '17. I transferred all my suspension parts, wheels, as well as my BM3.
I'm adding the JB4 tomorrow and want to order the Methanol Injection kit from Burger MS.
I know from my Corvette experience that it can make a huge difference.
I'm going to do it, either way, I'd just like the opinions of those who have run with and without it.
I'm hoping to see around 700 WHP, if that's possible. Speaking of WHP vs, flywheel HP, what is the generally accepted drivetrain loss percentage on these vehicles?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 10:35 AM   #2
KLR X5M
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by VETTEPRO View Post
I recently sold my '16 F85 and bought a '17. I transferred all my suspension parts, wheels, as well as my BM3.
I'm adding the JB4 tomorrow and want to order the Methanol Injection kit from Burger MS.
I know from my Corvette experience that it can make a huge difference.
I'm going to do it, either way, I'd just like the opinions of those who have run with and without it.
I'm hoping to see around 700 WHP, if that's possible. Speaking of WHP vs, flywheel HP, what is the generally accepted drivetrain loss percentage on these vehicles?
S63tu's generally benefit hugely from meth. The HPFP flow limitations generally only allow for around 22-23 PSI max depending on ambient temps before you get lean sputter. The meth fueling allows up to 28psi while keeping IAT is check. DCT M5 with clutch upgrades have made well over 700whp on stock turbos with JB4/FSB meth combo. I am going to do JB4 stacked with Bm3 with hpfp upgrade from Spool FX this summer to try and run 25 psi on pump. I don't want meth in my baby hauler.

The 8HP75 probably will take that level of power and torque for a while, but I would ramp the boost in at higher RPM in JB4 custom map, and also tune the transmission with XHP and use the 25% line pressure bump. The Tcase is probably suspect, but just be mindful of hard launches. You well know traction+power+weight = broken parts
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 06:48 PM   #3
JRock80
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5M F85

@KLR X5M - Very informative!

I also had thoughts about meth and Pure Turbos upgrade but decided against it. As you well know, breaking anything on our F85 is EXTREMELY costly to fix in terms of parts not to mention the labor. Instead I'm looking for e46 or e92 and planning on going crazy with that project in my home garage.

Good luck with your build my friend.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2021, 09:00 AM   #4
VETTEPRO
First Lieutenant
Rep

It looks like I'll have to build my own charge pipes to make this work.
I have a great welder/ fabricator that works for me, so it should be doable.
As a tuner, engine builder etc. I'm pretty savvy as to how not to break stuff.
I outgrew just mashing the throttle and wondering why I left parts strewn across the road many years ago. I think I'll be OK in that regard.
Going back to 2006 (that's 9 Corvettes ago for me) I was the first to put a Supercharged 427 C5 R block in a C6. I cut the firewall out and fiberglassed it to clear the FAST manifold. It ultimately made 840 RWHP.
Anyone who knows Corvettes knows that the 05 differential was crap. Everyone who breaks one now upgrades to the later Z06 style.
I never broke it. The guy who bought it from me blew it to pieces in just a few months.
Of course, you never know...
Appreciate 1
      04-25-2021, 04:03 PM   #5
KLR X5M
First Lieutenant
Rep

How are you doing the charge pipes since the upper IC housing runs basically to the turbo discharge pipes? Are you doing pre or post IC? I know your background Andy, and have installed one of your sc kits on my friends c6 back in the day. Glad to have a gear head like you on this platform too. If you come up with something crafty on the meth would love to see it.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2021, 10:56 PM   #6
VETTEPRO
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLR X5M View Post
How are you doing the charge pipes since the upper IC housing runs basically to the turbo discharge pipes? Are you doing pre or post IC? I know your background Andy, and have installed one of your sc kits on my friends c6 back in the day. Glad to have a gear head like you on this platform too. If you come up with something crafty on the meth would love to see it.
I had it apart this weekend to install the JB4. I don't think there will be any need to make pipes.
I asked BMS if they had #5 nozzles. If so I think I'll run 2 pre intercoolers and 2 post intercoolers just to test.
The tanks look pretty sturdy. I think I'm going to drill and tap them so I can put in 1/4" NPT to 1/8" NPT bushings. I'll use the same adhesive that they glue the Corvette bodies to the frame around the bushing to reinforce it. It will be super strong. Then the 1/8 NPT Meth nozzles will screw right into them.
I sometimes see IATs in the 40* range after the intercooler, when spraying a lot of Meth, on a Corvette. If I blow 40*air through an intercooler that is ambient temperature, at best, it's going to warm it up rather than cool it down. This is all hypothetical of course because I have no idea what the air temp/ meth mixture will be before the intercooler.
The reason for blowing some of it through is just to atomize it better. I'll probably experiment doing that, then try twin #10 nozzles after the intercooler and see what works best.
As you said, you know me and know that I love to experiment and make things better. (or at least try)
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2021, 08:30 PM   #7
KLR X5M
First Lieutenant
Rep

I was going to suggest tapping the IC housing directly. It's a sturdy material as it has to hold up to boost. I've done that npt bung trick with jb weld before too! Are you running the bms FSB and using jb4 for meth management?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2021, 09:53 AM   #8
VETTEPRO
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I was going to suggest tapping the IC housing directly. It's a sturdy material as it has to hold up to boost. I've done that npt bung trick with jb weld before too! Are you running the bms FSB and using jb4 for meth management?
By doing that with a larger bushing and supporting it with that 2 part body adhesive, it will never come out. Then I have plenty of clean threads for the nozzle to screw into and I can easily plug it anytime I want.
Yes. I have the BMS stuff on the way, including the FSB. It may not be as fast as some of my Corvettes, but it will surely surprise some kids in their noisy Dodges or Mustangs.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2021, 12:18 PM   #9
KLR X5M
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
By doing that with a larger bushing and supporting it with that 2 part body adhesive, it will never come out. Then I have plenty of clean threads for the nozzle to screw into and I can easily plug it anytime I want.
Yes. I have the BMS stuff on the way, including the FSB. It may not be as fast as some of my Corvettes, but it will surely surprise some kids in their noisy Dodges or Mustangs.
Any updates Andy?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2021, 02:19 PM   #10
M302_imola
Major
Rep
Drives: '15 X5 35i Xdrive Mineral Whit

This is for a B58 Supra but still very informative when it comes to meth. This video has me really wanting this same setup on my F15 X5 N55. Just have no clue how much a setup like this would cost.

Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 07:14 AM   #11
VETTEPRO
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Any updates Andy?
I made all new stainless braid PTFE lines for it. I just don't trust those plastic push-in hoses when running 100% Methanol.
Then I made some short custom bushings to screw (and then epoxy) into the intercooler tanks. Standard 1/8" to 1/4" NPT bushings were too long and would have shrouded the nozzles. It looked like it would really mess with the spray pattern.
That's as far as I got before we left town. We flew to Boston, about a week ago, and rented a car to drive back to California. My wife and I are visiting some of my dealers along the way.
I'll get back on it later next week.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2022, 03:35 PM   #12
Cbozz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
Quote:
I made all new stainless braid PTFE lines for it. I just don't trust those plastic push-in hoses when running 100% Methanol.
Then I made some short custom bushings to screw (and then epoxy) into the intercooler tanks. Standard 1/8" to 1/4" NPT bushings were too long and would have shrouded the nozzles. It looked like it would really mess with the spray pattern.
That's as far as I got before we left town. We flew to Boston, about a week ago, and rented a car to drive back to California. My wife and I are visiting some of my dealers along the way.
I'll get back on it later next week.
Post pics please