Australia
Rep
Drives: X5m F85

Bm3 ots Stage II 1/4 Mile times

12.00 116 mph
OTS BM3 stage 2 93 Ron aggressive burble
VRSF DP
RK intakes

This time was my first run. And first time at the track.
No lc. 2nd run was with lc. However not sure I did it correctly.
Any comparisons would be great cheers.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
sly1types426.50
      05-04-2021, 08:47 AM   #2
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockt View Post
12.00 116 mph
VRSF DP
RK intakes

I looked up your dragstrip, your at an ideal elevation and temps were great when you ran so quite honestly you should have been in the mid 11's and 120mph with all the mods you have as completely stock is only a few tenths slower.

Assuming nothing is mechanically wrong, I am going to blame your crap gas. 93 Ron gas is equivalent to 89 here In the states and its absolute shit gas, I would not put that in a turbo Kia let alone a tuned X5m. I am sure the DME is pulling the piss out of your timing and thus your lackluster times. Your 60foot is ok but there is another tenth or two there if you practice your launch.

Couple of options: Mix in race gas if you have it nearby and have the cash. You can also mix in e85 if you have access to it but don't go over 3 gallons per tank. Octane boosters such as boostane professional lucus, and royal purple really work and are an excellent choice since you are catless. My personal favorite is 3 gallons e85 plus octane booster. You will feel the difference and your time slip will show it.

Bottom line is, if you really want value out of all your mods, you should be running at least 98ron rating, not to mention increase the life expectancy of your engine. The DME cannot predict octane, it can only react to it after the fact. If it's pulling timing means your engine is experiencing knock which is a recipe for bent rods and a 20k repair bill.

Last edited by Sophisticated Redneck; 05-04-2021 at 09:13 AM..
Appreciate 2
brockt4.50
CT335xi682.50
      05-04-2021, 10:00 PM   #3
brockt
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisticated Redneck View Post
Quote:
12.00 116 mph
VRSF DP
RK intakes

I looked up your dragstrip, your at an ideal elevation and temps were great when you ran so quite honestly you should have been in the mid 11's and 120mph with all the mods you have as completely stock is only a few tenths slower.

Assuming nothing is mechanically wrong, I am going to blame your crap gas. 93 Ron gas is equivalent to 89 here In the states and its absolute shit gas, I would not put that in a turbo Kia let alone a tuned X5m. I am sure the DME is pulling the piss out of your timing and thus your lackluster times. Your 60foot is ok but there is another tenth or two there if you practice your launch.

Couple of options: Mix in race gas if you have it nearby and have the cash. You can also mix in e85 if you have access to it but don't go over 3 gallons per tank. Octane boosters such as boostane professional lucus, and royal purple really work and are an excellent choice since you are catless. My personal favorite is 3 gallons e85 plus octane booster. You will feel the difference and your time slip will show it.

Bottom line is, if you really want value out of all your mods, you should be running at least 98ron rating, not to mention increase the life expectancy of your engine. The DME cannot predict octane, it can only react to it after the fact. If it's pulling timing means your engine is experiencing knock which is a recipe for bent rods and a 20k repair bill.
[QUOTE=Sophisticated Redneck;27549095]

Thanks for the education much appreciated.
I have access to E85, so that's a plus.
Would you add 9 gallons to a full tank? Sorry to state the obvious. I'm assuming octane booster + E85 combo is safe with all standard components? Fuel filter, injectors & so on...
Cheers
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 10:10 PM   #4
One_cam_50i
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Quote:
12.00 116 mph
VRSF DP
RK intakes

Quote:
Quote:
12.00 116 mph
VRSF DP
RK intakes

E85? Without any changes👀👀
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2021, 01:29 AM   #5
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

[QUOTE=brockt;27552382]
Quote:

Would you add 9 gallons to a full tank? Sorry to state the obvious. I'm assuming octane booster + E85 combo is safe with all standard components? Fuel filter, injectors & so on...
Cheers
No problem happy to help. Don't go over 3 gallons of E85, reason is E85 is less energy dense then gas and it will make you run lean. The DME will adjust the fuel trims to compensate but can only do so much before it runs out of headroom. 2-3 gallons works great with stock pumps, after that you will be maxxing out the stock high pressure fuel pumps.

As for Octane booster, its safe for everything but cats as it will eventually ruin them (takes thousands of miles of using it but it will eventually happen) Since you have downpipes you are good. Use one of the brands I mentioned above, they are among the best. Try to datalog your fuel trims, afr, IAT's, timing and boost during your next runs too.

Last edited by Sophisticated Redneck; 05-05-2021 at 01:41 AM..
Appreciate 1
brockt4.50
      05-06-2021, 12:48 AM   #6
brockt
Australia
Rep

[QUOTE=Sophisticated Redneck;27552747]
Quote:
Quote:

Cheers
No problem happy to help. Don't go over 3 gallons of E85, reason is E85 is less energy dense then gas and it will make you run lean. The DME will adjust the fuel trims to compensate but can only do so much before it runs out of headroom. 2-3 gallons works great with stock pumps, after that you will be maxxing out the stock high pressure fuel pumps.

As for Octane booster, its safe for everything but cats as it will eventually ruin them (takes thousands of miles of using it but it will eventually happen) Since you have downpipes you are good. Use one of the brands I mentioned above, they are among the best. Try to datalog your fuel trims, afr, IAT's, timing and boost during your next runs too.
I will give this a go & post the results.
Thanks again mate.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 02:20 AM   #7
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

[QUOTE=brockt;27557105]
Quote:
Thanks again mate.
Sounds good, if you mix in 3 gallons of E85 with 18 gallons of 91RON it will on average take you to around a 94ish RON rating. E85's ethanol content varies anywhere from 55-85 percent (check your pump for the exact variance range) but a safe bet is 65% on average per gallon.

When you mix in octane booster it will bump you up a few more points to a 97-98RON rating (94 in the states). If you go with Boostane Professional, you can use the mixing chart they have and mix it to whatever octane level you want.

Keep in mind that higher octane doesn't mean anything unless you add boost and timing to take advantage of it. I think you will see a nice increase in power with your current tune as you most likely have timing corrections so baseline it with the tune you have now with the higher octane mix and then loading a hotter tune will be an option or picking something up like a JB4 so you can customize the performance to whatever gas you have in the tank on the fly.

This is where data logging is so important so you can see where you timing, afr, and boost is at. Most important thing to look it as the timing and afr and keep an eye out for any timing drops that signify knock detection. AFR is a subject for debate on direct injection engines but in general a safe bet is in the mid to high 12's, if your AFR's start getting past mid 13's your starting to run lean and need to back off the E85mix some. Timing is very engine specific but what you going to look for is any sudden drops in timing of more then a degree or two (other then when shifting as it is normal to drop timing during shifts)

Last edited by Sophisticated Redneck; 05-06-2021 at 02:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 09:28 PM   #8
brockt
Australia
Rep

[QUOTE=Sophisticated Redneck;27557228]
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks again mate.
Sounds good, if you mix in 3 gallons of E85 with 18 gallons of 91RON it will on average take you to around a 94ish RON rating. E85's ethanol content varies anywhere from 55-85 percent (check your pump for the exact variance range) but a safe bet is 65% on average per gallon.

When you mix in octane booster it will bump you up a few more points to a 97-98RON rating (94 in the states). If you go with Boostane Professional, you can use the mixing chart they have and mix it to whatever octane level you want.

Keep in mind that higher octane doesn't mean anything unless you add boost and timing to take advantage of it. I think you will see a nice increase in power with your current tune as you most likely have timing corrections so baseline it with the tune you have now with the higher octane mix and then loading a hotter tune will be an option or picking something up like a JB4 so you can customize the performance to whatever gas you have in the tank on the fly.

This is where data logging is so important so you can see where you timing, afr, and boost is at. Most important thing to look it as the timing and afr and keep an eye out for any timing drops that signify knock detection. AFR is a subject for debate on direct injection engines but in general a safe bet is in the mid to high 12's, if your AFR's start getting past mid 13's your starting to run lean and need to back off the E85mix some. Timing is very engine specific but what you going to look for is any sudden drops in timing of more then a degree or two (other then when shifting as it is normal to drop timing during shifts)
Outstanding info, thanks a lot!
I've ordered Boostane. Just short of a litre. How much would you put into a full tank? I looked at their calculator, it's a tad confusing.
Would you say the DME would need to calibrate to adjust to the higher Octane? If so how much driving and and how aggressive on throttle?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2021, 03:33 AM   #9
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

[QUOTE=brockt;27561040]
Quote:
Outstanding info, thanks a lot!
I've ordered Boostane. Just short of a litre. How much would you put into a full tank? I looked at their calculator, it's a tad confusing.
Would you say the DME would need to calibrate to adjust to the higher Octane? If so how much driving and and how aggressive on throttle?
Ya when it comes to octane, everything is a bit confusing as there are 3 different ways of measuring it. Lets clear a few things up first so we are on the same page. Octane ratings are measure in RON (Research Octane Number) or MON (Motor Octane Number) or AKI (Anti Knock Index). Here are few clips from the web to help explain:

Octane numbers are routinely used to simulate engine performance: the RON simulates gasoline performance under low severity (at 600 rpm and 120°F (49°C) air temperature), whereas the motor octane number (MON) reflects more severe conditions (at 900 rpm and 300°F (149°C) air temperature).

The AKI is an average of two other octane numbers, the RON and the Motor Octane Number (MON), which are determined by two different laboratory tests. For example, a 95 RON plus an 87 MON averages to a 91 AKI

To put this in perspective, 93 RON is roughly equal to 89 AKI.

Here in the States we use AKI (RON + MON /2). The octane chart from Boostane is for AKI. I am going to assume most of the tunes from protunning freaks is also.

A good safe place to start when trying different tunes is to go for a 95AKI rating. So lets do the math with what you have to work with:
22 gallon tank (double check to make sure this size is correct for Australia spec X5M's and adjust accordingly)

19 Gallons 93RON +3 Gallons E85 (assuming 65% Ethanol content) = 91AKI This is still a low octane for a tuned engine so we have a ways to go to get to our 95 goal.
I am assuming you got Boostane Professional, if you got Boostane Premium, you will need too add more as per the chart)

According to the chart, going from 91 to 95 indicates .26oz per Gallon. Lets round this up to .3oz per gallon for extra margin of safety.

So for the remaining 19 gallons you will need approx 6oz of Boostane or roughly 1/5 of the 32oz can. You can pre-measure it out into smaller containers to make it easier, wear gloves and be careful, its just as flammable as gas and has an incredibly powerful smell - a few drops will stink up you and your garage all day so best mix it into smaller containers outside

Best way to mix is when your almost empty, around 1/8 of a tank, drop in the E85, then the boostane, then the rest of the normal gas. Keep in mind its a non-return fuel system in the F85 so it will take a good 10 miles before all of the lower octane gas has been burned before the new higher octane is hitting the engine the very first time.

Now enable datalogging with the bm3 app and start playing around with the tunes after you do some baseline runs. Keep a close eye on your timing, AFR, and fuel trims. You can play around with the E85 mixture and use less octane booster if you trims are not maxed and your afr is good. You should be able to get into the mid 11's 1/4 mile now with the higher stage maps loaded. Post back the results here when you get them.

Oh and BTW, if you haven't installed NGK 2 step colder plugs yet, best do it soon when you go to higher stage tunes.

Last edited by Sophisticated Redneck; 05-08-2021 at 03:58 AM..
Appreciate 1