BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-12-2021, 03:01 AM   #45
F15GorDe
Well versed in the care and feeding of BMWs
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15d, F10

Yep, a big +1 from me also on the Gummi Pflege. I still have some of the BMW factory tubes I bought before it became readily available in the aftermarket.
I use it on all of the various rubber seals scattered throughout our rides, great stuff!
      09-01-2021, 05:17 PM   #46
jeostang
Private
Rep
Drives: Buying soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngeloF15 View Post
I had a similar issue on my 2015 X5. Water dripping down passenger visor on seat and carpet. On mine there is little rubber slits installed near the drain hole for the front of the sunroof. When I was investigating the issue I found a broken plastic tab was lodged in the hole and almost went down the drain. I carefully removed the obstruction like I was playing the game "operation". Hasnt rained since but I feel lucky to have caught this. I think some people may be in the same situation and shoving a tube down that drain could make things worse if the plastic tab get jammed in there.
Did this fix your issue. My wife notices the exact same thing today, water leaking from the visor on the passenger side. Its still raining so I have not got a chance to look at it yet.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 06:57 AM   #47
Jcrove06
Rep
Drives: TBD

Can't find the "weep" hole behind front right tire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gkacmaz View Post
I had this exact same problem on my E90. But just pushing something through the drain didn't help. Underneath the car are the drain exist and that was clogged really bad, I needed a screw driver to get it clean as it was hard like a rock
Ok, so I take my front right tire off, the brush guard, and a plate behind the brush guard to access the area where the "weep" hole drain from the sunroof should be. I see a white spigot device and thought I'd see a hose to unclog, but it is just a cavity. I have seen in some other BMW videos there are black vents/weep holes which need to be unclogged.

Does anyone have a picture or a video of the area in a F15 (mine is 2017) where the water drains so I can try to unclog it? My car is leaking inside the cabin after heavy rain.

Thank you in advance.

-JCR
Attached Images

Last edited by Jcrove06; 10-25-2021 at 02:13 PM.. Reason: Adding Picture from this morning
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 12:25 AM   #48
SF07e70
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 X5 3.0

2017 also…drain is under in the engine compartment under the cabin filter box. There’s a photo here: https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1617301

Last edited by SF07e70; 10-26-2021 at 12:32 AM..
Appreciate 1
      10-26-2021, 06:49 AM   #49
Jcrove06
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcrove06 View Post
Ok, so I take my front right tire off, the brush guard, and a plate behind the brush guard to access the area where the "weep" hole drain from the sunroof should be. I see a white spigot device and thought I'd see a hose to unclog, but it is just a cavity. I have seen in some other BMW videos there are black vents/weep holes which need to be unclogged.

Does anyone have a picture or a video of the area in a F15 (mine is 2017) where the water drains so I can try to unclog it? My car is leaking inside the cabin after heavy rain.

Thank you in advance.

-JCR
Quote:
Originally Posted by SF07e70 View Post
2017 also…drain is under in the engine compartment under the cabin filter box. There’s a photo here: https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1617301
So the final drain hole is in the engine compartment in a 2017 X5 F15? This is news to me...all the videos I've seen are behind the brush guard of the right front fender.

It looks to me like it is in the back left corner of the engine bay? I guess I would need to remove a panel to access it? Have any of you all done this?

Thanks again I can't wait to report back that this has been resolved!!
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2021, 11:54 PM   #50
SF07e70
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 X5 3.0

^ I got this confused. What I posted is for an x3 f25.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2021, 07:26 AM   #51
Jcrove06
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF07e70 View Post
^ I got this confused. What I posted is for an x3 f25.
Ah, Ok...I appreciate the effort. So I am still trying to figure out of the final drain (which I am trying to clear) is behind the right front tire for the right front drain in the sunroof.

If so, if anyone has a picture of it on the X5 F15 (2017) I'd greatly appreciate it. So my internet searches do not show the X5 F15.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2021, 03:07 PM   #52
leyeti77
France
Rep
Drives: 2014 F15 X40d

Smile

Hi, Thanks for this post.
Unsure this will solve the following issue on my 2014 F15 : When I start, the first left and right turn, I can ear weird bubble sound that seems to come below the left and right front seat. Once I have seen some drop of water on the passenger floor mate.

So It seems to match some of the issues describe in this long post.
Just in case I bought few minutes ago the Gummi Pflege and currently seeking for cristal tubing.
Will keep you informed (By the way if someone has also bubble sound... )
      12-02-2021, 12:56 PM   #53
goldfishtube
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5

Goldfish tube

Finally unclogged the front drain on my 2018 x5. Everytime it rained I was getting stressed out about water overflowing into the cabin.

Tried using grass trimmer/weed wacker plastic wire but I wasn't able to insert more than a foot or two and at that point . to paraphrase someone else here, "it was like pushing a wet noodle up a hill."

Avoided the bleach, etc route for fear of the vapors/smell staying in the cabin and having to breathe it. Did try puring concentrated windshield wiper fluid in the drain to try to break up the clog. Didn'y work but it might've helped break down some of the clog?

Order the tube that one of the other poster suggested. the 5/8 inner dimension, 3/4" outer dimension I ordered was way to big to fit. Happened to have some plastic tubing used in goldfish aquariums to aerate the tank, inserted about a foot or so into the front right drain hole and blew through the tube using my mouth for a few times. Water drained and I confirmed that it was coming out around the wheel well. (guessing this was safer than using compressed air? which some posters suggested could dislodge the tubing system and create another issue?) Gonna keep the small tube in my trunk whenever I see the drain is clogged again.

Kudos to all the posts here to help fix this issue (still a little bit of a headscratcher that this is an issue to begin with on such a $$$ car)
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2021, 12:38 PM   #54
leyeti77
France
Rep
Drives: 2014 F15 X40d

Talking Drain issue : Samcrac did find the origin of the isse

Folks,
On Youtuber named Samcrac has found the real issue of this issue we all are facing with Sun Roff
Itt is very easy to fix, at no price
Just have a look to this video
I quite certain BMW is aware of this issue and the origin...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLkZPAFz398&t=1184s

Enjoy
      12-06-2021, 10:41 AM   #55
F15er
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 30d MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by leyeti77 View Post
Folks,
On Youtuber named Samcrac has found the real issue of this issue we all are facing with Sun Roff
Itt is very easy to fix, at no price
Just have a look to this video
I quite certain BMW is aware of this issue and the origin...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLkZPAFz398&t=1184s

Enjoy
Thank you for that
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2022, 05:03 PM   #56
beattiecj
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i 2017 x5 35i 1988 e30

I was able to use a $3 drain snake from home depot to clear out my drain.

My methodology was to see if the leak was near the top poured a bit of water assuming if it was low the water would drain and not come out the bottom. Found it would not drain at all making me think the issue was near the roof.

Was able to stick the drain snake in 6-10 inches (jokes aside) twisting it around and it something and immediately the water drained without issue.

Hope this helps took about 10 minutes fussing around to solve it!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-30-2022, 04:45 PM   #57
alwayson
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X5

How do you stick the plastic tubing in?

It gets stopped after 6 inches, even on the clear side.

Last edited by alwayson; 06-30-2022 at 06:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2022, 10:30 PM   #58
XxBBVTMxX
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d, 2008 Lexus IS-F

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayson View Post
How do you stick the plastic tubing in?

It gets stopped after 6 inches, even on the clear side.
By sticking it in there carefully and twisting while inserting. You're not gonna get much in there, but you should be able to get more than 6".

After you get in what you can, just check how it drains…
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2022, 09:27 AM   #59
JRice337
Registered
Rep
Drives: F15 X5

Just had this problem with my 2015 X5. Water on the passenger side floor. I have tried weed trimmer string and a small gimicky drain snake, neither of which would go in the sunroof drain more than 6 inches. Even tried the driver side drain to see if i could get in further, I could not.

I’ve read some things about a possible kinked hose somewhere near the kick panel. Anyone know how to access this? Is the only way to access the bottom side of the drain to remove the fender?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2022, 02:16 PM   #60
yulian
Private
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15 3.0d 2014

Have someone tried something like this?

US $0.16 93%OFF | Car Styling Sunroof Door windshield Cleaning brush drain hole is blocked auto Sunroof Drain Pipe Clean Brush Cleaning tools
https://a.aliexpress.com/_EHbgnf1
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2022, 05:57 PM   #61
F15Lover
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 50i M sport

Recently had my sunroof drains clog on the passenger side to my 2016 F15 and I was experiencing leaking from the sunvisor (getting a few drops of water on the seat) as well as a little puddling on the floor. Initially started with a water drain test by pouring water down the drain tubes and found them to the blocked only on the passenger side. First I tried to get the sunroof drain tool like the member above me mentioned (couldn't get much past 6 inches into the plug). I tried a little baking soda water and vinegar and no luck. Also used the sunroof drain tool and some water (after doing a drainage check) and no luck. Finally I got a tube similar to OP and put some concentrated windshield washer fluid down the drain plugs and blew into the tube once inserted and that finally did the trick!
Appreciate 2
Rokoz293.00
      01-04-2023, 06:51 AM   #62
Warrior9504
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘16 328i wgn, M Roadster

Garage List
My wife's 2017 X5 had a small puddle in the passenger side WeatherTech and wetness around the visor. Going to give this hack a try.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2023, 12:55 PM   #63
f15g8tr
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Cleared drains...

Hi All,
I've run into the clogged sunroom drain issue on my 2017 X5 a couple of times now. I've tried the trimmer line trick without success... I wasn't ever able to make the turn that's about 6" into the drain tube.

Ultimately, I was able to get the drain flowing using a flexible silicon drinking straw and my air compressor.

I used a flexible silicone drinking straw that's about 3/8" outer diameter and 1/4" inner diameter. I was able to feed the straw about 2" into the drain hole before it wouldn't go further. It fit snuggly but wasn't tight - loose enough to allow air to backflow rather than over-pressurizing the drain tube and causing a bigger problem. I set my compressor to about 90 psi regulated pressure... and carefully forced air through the straw and drain. Air did backflow so be careful if you have standing water in the channel - It'll may blowback water on you.

See attached photos... hopefully this helps someone else!

Side note... the first time this happened, the headliner near the passenger visor was wet and the passenger floor was very wet. I pulled back the carpet and put fans on the car for a few days to dry out the floor. Thought I'd dried it out pretty well, but unfortunately ended up having an electrical issue a few months later. It manifested as a variety of malfunctions (drivetrain, airbags, etc.). Turned out to be a wet electrical wiring bundle in the passenger floor area.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-03-2023, 02:16 PM   #64
VTMike
Private
Rep
Drives: '04 Z4 2.5, '14 X5d, '14 535xd

14 X5d

Tackling this now on our X5.

Was driving this while I waited getting my rear spring/shock/mounts work done on my F10...

Heavy/steady rain last week and noticed water on the floor mat on the passenger footwell when I got in the car in the morning.
I couldn't find/feel the source, but figured I'd research potential causes here.
Symptoms sure-do sound like a clogged sunroof drain.

Hasn't rained heavy since and I'm reluctant to put too much water in to try to find the source....focusing instead on trying to dry it out completely (while we have a late blast of heat/dry before the temps turn) and seeing if I can find a blockage.

I started with the string trimmer line, but I can only get it in between 6 and 12".
Tried compressed air with a small section of hose pushed into the drain line. Now I'm anxious that I made it worse as I let the pressure get fairly high. All I really achieved was a little moisture blow-back.
Tried BMW washer fluid concentrate.

Dealer says they're happy to work on it, but states that BMW is NOT going to support the work at all. I'm underwhelmed by the local dealer, so that doesn't appeal.
There is an excellent independent shop relatively nearby. I emailed them last night, but haven't heard back. I plan on giving them a call. My hunch is that they have experience with this.

I also plan on giving it at least one more shot on my own...
I have a veterinary syringe and the plastic tubing that I can connect to that that I used to use to extract fluid when flushing brakes and clutch for my motorcycle. I was thinking I'd get a small cup of hot water and try pushing/pulling the hot water with that. I'm hoping that a few iterations might open up a clog ~ assuming it's near the top.
I also figure this is a good way to check if it's NOT draining well.

I can, of course, pull the wheel well cover and try to access the drain ~ but I'm reading mixed messages on whether that's where the drain is (or in the engine compartment).

I could also pull the kick panel on the side of the passenger footwell if it's likely that I have the kink there (per the youtube link above).

I'm also open to the idea that it's the drain in the engine compartment. My first stab at this was checking to see if the engine compartment drains were clogged. They DO tend to collect leaves and such...
After looking at that, I wonder whether I had that reassembled incorrectly (I had changed my cabin filter this summer). I can describe that better and/or take a photo if anyone thinks that might be the explanation...
I guess I'll know once I see whether water drains well or not.

Any other thoughts?
This is, to my surprise, causing me a good bit of consternation....I'm irked that this is such a common issue and struck by the potential electrical headache and/or labor-heavy repair (if I'm unable to manage this on my own)
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2023, 09:53 AM   #65
KrisTallx5
Private
Rep
Drives: Lexus rx350, F15 X5 MSport

What is a FZD module? I have a 2015 and the other day we had heavy rains. I got into the car to notice water dripping from around my sun visor and it got all over the front right carpet area. The speakers we're making crazy sounds and eventually stopped but now I have no sound from my radio. What could have fried or broken ? What should I check?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2023, 10:12 AM   #66
XxBBVTMxX
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d, 2008 Lexus IS-F

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisTallx5 View Post
What is a FZD module? I have a 2015 and the other day we had heavy rains. I got into the car to notice water dripping from around my sun visor and it got all over the front right carpet area. The speakers we're making crazy sounds and eventually stopped but now I have no sound from my radio. What could have fried or broken ? What should I check?
Definitely, you have a clogged drain in the sunroof if you had water coming down the visor. Pretty much, too much water accumulated and it overflows into the cabin, down in front of your visor. Since it’s all cloth and sponge up there it’ll absorb and get wet.

You’ll need to revive your door panel to see what’s going on. Get a non-marring panel remover.
Appreciate 0