BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-09-2021, 05:27 PM   #1
floop
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 40i

Advice on purchase

I am scheduled to take delivery of a 2018 50i from Carvana later this month. It has 41,000 miles. I saw the recent post about someone refusing a 50i from Carvana, and another commented that getting a BMW V8 from Carvana would be a big risk. So of course this has given me some pause.

The other option would be to stick with the 35i. I currently have a 2016 35i with 31,000 miles. The reason for the trade is that I have regretted not getting ACC since the beginning. It is a feature I used heavily in my previous vehicles, and I sort of thought it was standard on all cars at this point. In any event, it has proven terribly difficult to find a local 35i with ACC. The 50is I've seen generally are much better appointed. I have found a 35i that is spec'ed how I want but it would mean shipping from an out of state dealer, and that also complicates the trade-in process (need to trade to seller to get WA sales tax credit).

What is the forum's recommendation? Ditch the 50i, stick with it but get an extended warranty, wait for a local 35i? I find the folks on this forum to be very knowledgeable, so any advice is appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2021, 05:34 PM   #2
floop
Private
Rep

I should add that the 50i is in fact a lease return. Oil changes just at 10k mile intervals. I called my local BMW dealer to inquire about the service history. While they didn't give me much specific detail, the SA indicated that from what he could see it was all standard so far and nothing unusual.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2021, 06:05 PM   #3
Ascotgrun
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5

I can't see buying the 50i just to get ACC. If you find the 35i lacking in power and the usual chips/Flashes won't suffice, then sure, get the more powerful engine. Otherwise, I would hold out for a 35i with the options you want.

I would have liked to have ACC on my car as I got used to it on my previous one, but buying a car without it was an easy sacrifice to make when I found one with other options I would enjoy more.
Appreciate 1
floop20.00
      05-09-2021, 07:05 PM   #4
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by floop View Post
I am scheduled to take delivery of a 2018 50i from Carvana later this month. It has 41,000 miles. I saw the recent post about someone refusing a 50i from Carvana, and another commented that getting a BMW V8 from Carvana would be a big risk. So of course this has given me some pause.

The other option would be to stick with the 35i. I currently have a 2016 35i with 31,000 miles. The reason for the trade is that I have regretted not getting ACC since the beginning. It is a feature I used heavily in my previous vehicles, and I sort of thought it was standard on all cars at this point. In any event, it has proven terribly difficult to find a local 35i with ACC. The 50is I've seen generally are much better appointed. I have found a 35i that is spec'ed how I want but it would mean shipping from an out of state dealer, and that also complicates the trade-in process (need to trade to seller to get WA sales tax credit).

What is the forum's recommendation? Ditch the 50i, stick with it but get an extended warranty, wait for a local 35i? I find the folks on this forum to be very knowledgeable, so any advice is appreciated.
When I was looking for used F15 X5's. The logic I used was:

1. Given how hot the used car market is, the only way Carvana gets a lease return from BMW is because the dealers don't want it…

2. When I looked closely at the Carvana cars for sale, the seats and general condition seemed much rougher than the miles would indicate.

3. As far as I know you can't add BMW extended warranty to a Carvana purchased vehicle - anyways not the CPO Wrap that you can get from the dealer for a later model X5

Why don't you look at BMW's official CPO stock? 2018 is in the sweet spot now. They are a little more expensive, but from my experience so far, you can get a car that is practically new. You can also add a full extended warranty for 7 years, unlimited miles for around $3.5K. Lastly, so far I am really impressed with my dealer in how responsive they have been. Almost all wear and tear items like tires, brakes, battery and even door seals, etc are all new! The paint and rims are flawless. I believe they did all that as part of the CPO process.

Last edited by FCX5; 05-10-2021 at 06:34 AM..
Appreciate 2
maDjzo851.00
floop20.00
      05-10-2021, 03:16 PM   #5
floop
Private
Rep

Yes, I don't disagree with your logic. Assuming I don't cancel the deal beforehand, I'll plan to scrutinize the car to get a clue as to how roughly it was treated. I am also going to inquire with some dealers about warranty options. I'll see whether a BMW extended warranty is a possibility. Thanks for your thoughts. I'll also check out the CPO offerings.
Appreciate 1
FCX52352.00
      05-10-2021, 03:54 PM   #6
F15TS O FURY
BMW noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 50i

Hey Floop. I'm in a similar situation. Taking delivery of a 50i this week from Vroom. I plan on having a pre-purchase inspection by my local BMW independent shop that has stellar reviews. I'll keep you posted as to my experience with the online retail process. So far, selection of the car, arranging trade-in, financing, delivery, etc. has been largely without issue. (Aside from the trucking company only giving me a few hours notice on the trade-in pick up almost two weeks before scheduled delivery of my new X5).
Appreciate 2
FCX52352.00
floop20.00
      05-10-2021, 05:33 PM   #7
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes, I don't disagree with your logic. Assuming I don't cancel the deal beforehand, I'll plan to scrutinize the car to get a clue as to how roughly it was treated. I am also going to inquire with some dealers about warranty options. I'll see whether a BMW extended warranty is a possibility. Thanks for your thoughts. I'll also check out the CPO offerings.
That is the key thing - make sure to take a close look for wear and tear and don't feel pressured to keep the car if it doesn't meet your needs. I can assure you that you can get CPO cars that are practically in new condition and BMW will replace anything under warranty that looks like excessive wear and tears. Because of COVID, there are unprecedented low mileage CPOs available.

I think I posted earlier that when I got mine, the merino leather had deep creases since the foam on the seats is a little weak on the X5 (this probably is why the Dakota leather often cracks completely). Anyway, the dealer replaced the seat cover completely and I am pretty sure it was expensive. They then replaced one of my keys with a brand new one because the pin that holds the mechanical key was damaged...

Plus anytime I take the car in they give me a loaner - even got a G05 for a week since the seat replacement took longer than expected.

Good luck. The X5 is really one of the best cars I have ever owned. So much fun to drive and I like the nice clean looks of the F15.
Appreciate 1
floop20.00
      05-10-2021, 06:42 PM   #8
floop
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F15TS O FURY View Post
Hey Floop. I'm in a similar situation. Taking delivery of a 50i this week from Vroom. I plan on having a pre-purchase inspection by my local BMW independent shop that has stellar reviews. I'll keep you posted as to my experience with the online retail process. So far, selection of the car, arranging trade-in, financing, delivery, etc. has been largely without issue. (Aside from the trucking company only giving me a few hours notice on the trade-in pick up almost two weeks before scheduled delivery of my new X5).
Thanks, I'll be interested to hear about your experience. Yes, so far Carvana has been pretty easy experience. They offered me $1,500 more for my car than Vroom did, which already was about $1,000 more than a local dealer offered. It seems that they waived the transfer fee too. I wonder if they'll try to get that if I don't accept delivery... They also locked the car for 72 hours since I told them I need to unfreeze my credit reports to check financing options.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2021, 06:43 PM   #9
floop
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCX5 View Post
That is the key thing - make sure to take a close look for wear and tear and don't feel pressured to keep the car if it doesn't meet your needs. I can assure you that you can get CPO cars that are practically in new condition and BMW will replace anything under warranty that looks like excessive wear and tears. Because of COVID, there are unprecedented low mileage CPOs available.

I think I posted earlier that when I got mine, the merino leather had deep creases since the foam on the seats is a little weak on the X5 (this probably is why the Dakota leather often cracks completely). Anyway, the dealer replaced the seat cover completely and I am pretty sure it was expensive. They then replaced one of my keys with a brand new one because the pin that holds the mechanical key was damaged...

Plus anytime I take the car in they give me a loaner - even got a G05 for a week since the seat replacement took longer than expected.

Good luck. The X5 is really one of the best cars I have ever owned. So much fun to drive and I like the nice clean looks of the F15.
Thanks again for your advice. I am definitely looking into CPO since I am not scheduled to take delivery until later this month. Plenty of time to keep shopping!
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2021, 07:14 PM   #10
mrfochon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 F15 M package

Garage List
Was wondering if it is the same as the poste refuses in that post:

Refused a very rare 50i delivery from Carvana yesterday https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1819615
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2021, 08:10 PM   #11
floop
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfochon View Post
Was wondering if it is the same as the poste refuses in that post:

Refused a very rare 50i delivery from Carvana yesterday https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1819615
No, this is a 2018 model year.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2021, 02:51 PM   #12
F15TS O FURY
BMW noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 50i

Quote:
Thanks, I'll be interested to hear about your experience. Yes, so far Carvana has been pretty easy experience. They offered me $1,500 more for my car than Vroom did, which already was about $1,000 more than a local dealer offered. It seems that they waived the transfer fee too. I wonder if they'll try to get that if I don't accept delivery... They also locked the car for 72 hours since I told them I need to unfreeze my credit reports to check financing options.

Took delivery yesterday. Overall, I'm impressed by Vroom in just about every regard except communication. I'm going to post a full review of my experience, but the car (2016 X5 xDrive50i w/35k miles) is truly in exceptional shape. CarFax leads me to believe that this is a recently sold CPO as I'm the third owner and I found CPO brochures in the glove box. As I said, I'm going to have my local shop take a deep dive, but I'm very satisfied.

I would have liked to go with a CPO 2018, but price differential here was substantial, and after watching my local dealerships for sometime for a 50i to no avail, I finally took the plunge. I'll post pics and review ASAP.
Appreciate 1
floop20.00
      05-12-2021, 06:36 PM   #13
FCX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F15TS O FURY View Post
Quote:

Took delivery yesterday. Overall, I'm impressed by Vroom in just about every regard except communication. I'm going to post a full review of my experience, but the car (2016 X5 xDrive50i w/35k miles) is truly in exceptional shape. CarFax leads me to believe that this is a recently sold CPO as I'm the third owner and I found CPO brochures in the glove box. As I said, I'm going to have my local shop take a deep dive, but I'm very satisfied.

I would have liked to go with a CPO 2018, but price differential here was substantial, and after watching my local dealerships for sometime for a 50i to no avail, I finally took the plunge. I'll post pics and review ASAP.
Congrats! Yeah, 50i's are hard to get. One of the sales reps at the dealer I go to said that almost all their 50i lease returns they already have a customer before it hits the lot.
Appreciate 1
      05-12-2021, 07:37 PM   #14
floop
Private
Rep

I ended up cancelling the Carvana deal. I decided it was best to just wait for a 35i that meets my needs. Cancellation was very easy, merely involving two clicks in the app.
Appreciate 1