BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-13-2021, 06:32 AM   #1
sfgator
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 m340i

Newbie Question - How to find an independent shop

For the first time in having 4 BMWs, I find myself as an out of warranty BMW owner (currently driving a 2016 X5). I have always used the dealership for my service - it didn't cost me anything. I have branched out to a little DIY here and there (door panel repair/air filters etc.) but I don't have the desire to deal with oil disposal etc. or buy the tools for spark plug replacement etc (mine were replaced by the dealer 10k miles ago). Maybe it's marketing hype, but my understanding is that BMW keeps its diagnostics equipment private for the most part - thus driving you to the dealership.

My ask - I've never had to use an indy before and am not exactly sure what to look for in a legit BMW place. I would appreciate any guidance the group has to offer.

For any Floridians, I live in the Port St. Lucie/Vero Beach/Stuart area. Recommendations would also be appreciated.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 10:51 AM   #2
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

I suggest to explore https://www.bimmershops.com/ as a starting point. Many indy shops have the same diagnostic equipment as BMW dealers.
Appreciate 2
      05-13-2021, 12:31 PM   #3
sfgator
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 m340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
I suggest to explore https://www.bimmershops.com/ as a starting point. Many indy shops have the same diagnostic equipment as BMW dealers.
Thanks for the reply and website info.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 01:01 PM   #4
EdgyE36
Wisdom Searcher
Rep
Drives: E39 M5 and E46 M3

BIMRS.org is a good way to get started: https://www.bimrs.org/

Simple DIY can save a lot of money if you've the interest and time.
sfgator40.50
      05-14-2021, 07:41 PM   #5
F15_SGM
Insta~ f10_sapphire
Rep
Drives: BLACK 2015 528I

Call every local BMW foreign mechanic shop. Once you do that notice the pricing the cheapest guy and the most knowledgeable mechanic on labor time and repair is the golden ticket. Many shops are BMW indy shops but are either overpriced and take longer to work on the car when it should be fast. I found executive garage in OKC after a while of many foreign car ownerships until I found him he has Ferraris everywhere in his shop but he charges less than a Toyota mechanic and highly qualified and very fast. last repair on compressor for air suspension he helped me and let me use his tools and lift for free. Also once he let me borrow his OBD net cable for tuning for the weekend. I ended paying him whatever he thought was fair for him helping so much. I once called this mechanic a while back before I found executive garage and the guy was overcharging and longer labor time and needed a car for a day. I said no thanks. he then texts me a bunch of random stuff. Saying I'm swindling mechanics labor and he sent me BMW e chassis labor time when the dude knows I have an f15 trying to trick me. lol

https://executivegarageokc.com/

Last edited by F15_SGM; 05-14-2021 at 07:47 PM..
Appreciate 1
sfgator40.50